• Published 5th Apr 2017
  • 8,372 Views, 504 Comments

The Donutier - Hap



My name is Twilight Sprinkle, and I'm not who you think I am. I don’t have friends, I don’t have books, and I sure as the sun don’t have any wings.

  • ...
45
 504
 8,372

Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I stirred the warm water with my magic until the grittiness of the sugar had disappeared, then tilted my head over and touched the tip of my ear to the water. Perfect temperature. I lifted a block of yeast with my magic and started crumbling it into the water.

Ravenwing turned a page in the binder, then tapped a hoof against the clear plastic sheet protector as she looked up at me. “Her mom is also named Twilight? That seems to be a ridiculously popular name.”

I pushed the pot of yeasty sugarwater across the counter, leaving it next to the oven where it wouldn’t cool down too quickly. “Well,” I said as I dumped a bag of flour into an enormous bowl, “there’s a beautiful overlook on the mountain above the city, called ‘Twilight Point.’ It’s a popular hiking destination for couples. Very private.”

I turned to look at Ravenwing. Her eyes were enormous saucers. She glanced down at the picture of Twilight’s parents and slowly moved her hoof away from the binder, then looked back up at me with her eyebrows pinched together. “Seriously?”

“No.” A grin crept across my face. “I just made that all up.”

I heard her harrumph. “You’re still a terrible pony.”

Clouds of dust rose from the bowl as I started stirring sugar into the flour. “If it was true, it’d be in the binder.”

At the sound of her gasp, I glanced over my shoulder. “Omigosh, is this her? She’s adorable!”

She must have found the photo of Twilight attempting to get into the cookie jar under the guidance of her older brother. Any second now, she’d ask…

“Wait. This looks like one of those old-fashioned photos. The instant kind.” She looked up at me with wide eyes and a slack jaw, her eyebrows twitching between pinched in confusion and raised in awe. “This isn’t a copy, or a scan. It’s the original. How long have you been stalking her?”

I glanced at the off-white foam collecting on top of the yeast water, then turned around and sat down on the floor, curling my indigo tail around my flank. “I had tea with Twilight Velvet a few times. I told her I was trying to meet everypony in town named Twilight.”

“Okay, but—” she tapped the photograph “—how did you get this picture?”

“Well, I swiped that out of one of the photo albums. It was just too cute. Also, potential blackmail material.” I narrowed my eyes. “Evidence of her dark criminal past.”

She held up the photo in her magic and frowned. “But won’t Twilight’s mom miss this picture? This is the kind of thing I’d want to keep if I was a mom.”

“I’m not a monster. There were two photos. This was the blurry one; it’d been stuck behind the good one.” I stood up and turned back to my work. “You know, I’m beginning to question your dedication to this whole not-revenge assault scheme you’re working on.”

She tucked the photo back in and turned the page. “How so?”

“Well,” I said as I poured the water into the dry ingredients, “you seem awfully concerned about your archenemy’s mother’s feelings. Also, calling your archenemy ‘adorable’ is going to make it difficult to crush her under your hooves later.”

“I… I never said she was my enemy.” I heard another page being flipped. “I don’t want to crush her, either. I care for all my subjects, even those who have wronged me.”

The wooden spoon stuck straight up as I paused my stirring long enough to turn around and raise a single eyebrow at her. “You seemed awfully confrontational when you showed up here this morning. ‘Vile pretender,’ I think, were your exact words.”

She squirmed against the floor.

I resumed mixing the dough. “I just feel like it’s going to be hard to pull off that level of vitriol after you’ve seen filly Twilight Sparkle stealing cookies from a cookie jar. What even is your plan, anyway?”

I heard her cape shift as she sat up straighter. There was that regal air again. She cleared her throat. “Once we have ascertained her location, we will create a distraction to bypass her formidable garrison of guard stallions, and then—”

“Whoa. Slow down there, Seabiscuit.” I turned around and hauled the massive dough bowl down to the floor so I could keep stirring with my magic. “We? You mean, like, the ‘Royal We?’”

She tapped her hooves together and smiled with only her teeth. “Well, ah, no. Just the normal we. You and I. You and the royal I. So, like, half of the we is royal. Just you and me, though.”

I spun back around and rolled my eyes in a single dramatic gesture. After years of practice, I’ve gotten pretty good at those. I ditched the spoon and started kneading the dough with my magic. The key to a good yeast donut is the chewiness, which comes from interlocking gluten molecules, which in turn happens during kneading.

“And what,” I said, consciously relaxing my jaw muscles and instead putting that energy into the dough, smashing it hard against the floured countertop, “makes you think I want to be part of your weird little coup attempt?”

I swore I could hear her soul deflate. “I, uh. Y-you’re my most loyal subject. You’re the only pony who’s ever helped me. I, um, I just thought that we could… together.”

This batch of donuts was going to be so chewy. So very, very chewy. I stopped kneading and took a deep breath. “I’m not your royal subject. Because you’re not a princess. You’re just… a weirdo in a costume.” I didn’t turn around, because I didn’t want to see the way I was sure she was looking at me. I did hear a sniffle, and that was bad enough. “The chocolate milk is starting to sour. Why don’t you take a shower upstairs in my apartment while I finish this batch of donuts. Leave your cape in the big sink by the stairwell. I don’t want sticky sour milk all over my home.”