• Published 5th Apr 2017
  • 8,373 Views, 504 Comments

The Donutier - Hap



My name is Twilight Sprinkle, and I'm not who you think I am. I don’t have friends, I don’t have books, and I sure as the sun don’t have any wings.

  • ...
45
 504
 8,373

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

“No, I’m sorry.” The mare stuck the towel in her ear and swabbed it around as she winced. Her pale blue eyes really stuck out against her jet-black coat.

Nopony had ever apologized before. I halfheartedly dabbed my moist washcloth at the brown splotches on her cape. “I’m no expert, but I’d think that ‘get the right victim’ should be rule number one for revenge.” My eyes crossed for an instant. “I mean, as a professional revenge victim, I guess I kind of am an expert, and it’s sure not near the top of anypony’s list.”

“It’s not revenge, per se,” she said as she held the towel between her hooves and rolled her mane back and forth to squeeze out the chocolate milk. “I just think I deserve to be a princess more than she does. And she’s standing in my way.” She looked up at me and gave half a smile. “I just wasn’t expecting to be assaulted by breakfast foods. That can’t be good customer service.”

I shrugged. The bell jingled as another customer trotted through the door. A second later, he laughed and shouted across the crowded cafe. “Got yourself another live one, eh?”

The voice was one I recognized, so I pulled out a chocolate-iced, custard-filled, rainbow-sprinkled extra large éclair from the display case and tossed it in his general direction without looking. The lack of cursing told me that he’d caught it in his own magic. I smiled at the unusual mare and shrugged again. “The customers seem to like the show.”

She chuckled. “I stand corrected, then.” She moved the towel down to her neck, where much of the chocolate milk had been trapped by her high collar, and began scrubbing. Her mane didn’t seem quite as black as it had been before. “How much do I owe you for the donut and chocolate milk?”

This was new. “I, uh, I’ve never had anypony try to pay before.”

She fished around in her mane and pulled out a soggy bit bag. “I feel bad enough having assaulted one of my own subjects, and such a nice mare, too. It’s important that my subjects feel respected. And I don’t think anypony respects you once you’ve stolen from them. I mean, I didn’t technically eat the donut, and I didn’t ask for it—well, I suppose I did ask for it, didn’t I?” She squeezed her eyes shut and shook her head, holding up one hoof while she took a breath. “The point is, my actions had a very real cost to you, and it’s important to me that you are compensated.”

I floated a coffee pot across the room and refilled a few mugs, then turned back toward the mare. “You’re the strangest, most polite villain I’ve ever met. One bit for the donut, and one for the chocolate milk.”

“Oh, I’m not a villain,” she said. She finished swabbing her neck and plopped the towel down on the counter as she opened her bit bag.

In between the pale brown blotches of chocolate milk, I saw what looked like black dye soaking into the towel. I poked it with a hoof and glanced back up at her with a raised eyebrow. “And three bits for the towel.”

“Ah,” she said, turning over her bit bag. “Can I owe you for the towel?”

I squinted and looked closer at the fur around her collar. It was definitely lighter. Kind of a… pale greenish blue, maybe?

With a subdued cough to clear her throat, she pulled the collar closer around her neck. “A princess must keep up appearances. Surely, you don’t think that Celestia’s mane is naturally that way, do you?”

I looked her square in the eyes. “I donut know.”

“You are a terrible pony.”

“Yeah,” I said as I took bits from ponies who had brought enough money to pay for their breakfast, and passed them their donuts and coffee. “What’s new?”

She stood up and straightened her collar, only for it to slump back down in a soggy heap around her shoulders. “Well, I shall return to pay for the towel. I have much research to do before I can find this Princess Twilight Sprinkle.”

“Sparkle. She’s Sparkle, I’m Sprinkle.” I stuck my purple flank in the air and pointed a hoof toward the white-iced donut with multi-colored sprinkles. After a few moments, I cocked my head to the side. “Speaking of which, what’s your name?”

She held her head high and tried—I assumed anyway—to look as regal as possible with a soggy red cape smelling of chocolate milk and an uneven mane and coat dye job. “Ravenwing Bloodmane. Princess Ravenwing Bloodmane.”

I felt my eyebrows climb up my forehead as I clamped my jaws together, hard, to keep from betraying my amusement. Some customers laughed out loud.

She nodded toward me. “And now I must learn all I can about this royal pretender. Goodbye, dear subjects.”

“Goodbye,” I said, “and nice to meet you.” I picked up a plate and started swabbing the counter, then froze in mid-swipe, and raised my head toward Ravenwing, who had just opened the door with a jingle. “Hey!”

She turned back toward me.

“You sure you don’t wanna just stay here and read through my binder?”

Ravenwing raised an eyebrow. “Binder?”