• Published 12th Feb 2017
  • 15,238 Views, 659 Comments

Lost Little Wolf - PrincessColumbia



Yet another human-in-the-body-of-a-show-character story

  • ...
58
 659
 15,238

Chapter 8 - Preparing

“You will lose someone you can’t live without, and your heart will be badly broken, and the bad news is that you never completely get over the loss of your beloved. But this is also the good news. They live forever in your broken heart that doesn’t seal back up. And you come through. It’s like having a broken leg that never heals perfectly—that still hurts when the weather gets cold, but you learn to dance with the limp.”

Anne Lamott

Time passed.

There’s really not much to say about the two years between my first molt and my second. I attended classes, improved my skills with the quill and started writing in Equestrian somewhat fluently. I used this as an opportunity to start a correspondence course-style education with one of the Canterlot schools. Sure, my other changeling classmates may not have had access to that kind of thing, but being princess had its privileges.

Along with the correspondence classes, I also subscribed to a few science and magic journals. Artificer Weekly became one of my favorites fairly quickly. Watching the Equestrian scientists in the early stages of what was essentially computer development was quite fascinating and entertaining. The hive already had a quite few subscriptions available to more “pop culture” type magazines and journals. Pony Magazine, for example, was quite obviously Equestria’s version of People, and just as shallow.

There were a surprisingly large number of tabloids that came in every week, often treated with an equal weight as the more serious news publications. When I asked about this, it turned out that Equestria really did have a top-secret anti-monster agency called S.M.I.L.E., and the changelings were in their top-10 threat list. Like the Men in Black, S.M.I.L.E. used the tabloids to keep an eye on the monster population of the country and beyond, and apparently the agency had part-ownership in at least half of them. The hive subscribed to all the tabloids from Canterlot, Manehattan, and Las Pegasus so they could keep up with the same intelligence the S.M.I.L.E. agents had.

To my surprise, we even got a few overseas publications.

The Morning Sun from Neighpon was nice to read, as it included some wonderfully done representations of wood-block printing. I was watching this closely, for if Neighpon's development was going to progress anything like Japan's, this particular publication art form was going to grow into manga in around a decade or so. I was eagerly looking forward to what the Neighponese ponies and kirin would turn out for titles I was already familiar with, knowing that at least two of my favorites, Ranma ½ and Sailor Moon, would be getting published within the next 15-20 years.

The South Griphon Newspaper was incredibly interesting, as unlike Earth's Germany, Griphonia had split into three nations before a major world-wide conflict nearly 60 years prior. The colony on the Equestrian continent, who's capital was Griphonstone, would fall into economic ruin. Without a charismatic and xenophobic leader, as well as the watchful eye of Princess Celestia (and, apparently, no small amount of work by some crafty changeling spies... I love having access to the un-redacted files) Griphonstone never developed the equivalent of the NAZI party, and so remained a cast-off remnant of history. The Sunset Lands (Equus' version of Europe) had two Griphon dominant nations, Prance and Germaneigh. Rather, that's what the Equestrians called the two nations. In their native tongues they were called Gaule and Teuton, with Griphonstone being a colony of Teuton.

The parallel history was just damn fascinating.

The mailroom of the hive was receiving a shipment from Zebrica, which was a fairly large continent, and so we had to pick and choose the publications carefully. By this point Setae and Timpani knew to expect me when a new shipment was coming in, even going so far as sending a runner to get me when I lost track of time in language class. The three of us were sorting the shipment, sifting the publications by language, when I noticed there was an odd number. Normally, we got at least two copies of each individual publication, one in Equestrian and one in the native language of the country of origin. As I was separating the piles, however, I noticed one newspaper, a small, thin thing that was almost just a pamphlet, was out on its own. The typeset looked to be (to my untrained eye) an amalgamation of Arabic and Greek.

"Hey, Setae," I interrupted the drone as he worked, "What's this one? I can't read this language."

Setae looked over my shoulder, "Ah!" he said with a smile, "That's The City from the nation of Eagle's Rock, which ironically enough isn't a nation ruled by eagles." At my cocked eyebrow he explained, "The natives there believe that all wisdom flows from the mighty eagles that make their aeries on the coast. We don't get much news from there, usually just once a year during the annual migration from the capital to the coast and back."

I see," I said, flipping through the thin periodical, "So are they ponies? Or would that be horses in that area of the world?"

Timpani spoke up, not looking up from the crate she was unpacking, "Neither, actually. They're wildebeests."

I processed that for a moment, and then snorted a giggle. This earned me a confused look from Setae and the full attention of Timpani. At their befuddled looks, I held up the small newspaper, "So would you say," I paused briefly to milk the silence, "That this is all the gnus fit to print?"

That earned me a pair of groans and a rolled up newspaper to the head.

_-/^\-_

I was still small enough that Chrysalis could carry me on her back as she went about her queenly duties in the hive. This was nice, as between flight practice working my body and all my other classes working my mind, by the end of my classes every day I was wiped out. Of course, she still wanted me learning about the hive, something that I had taken a scholars interest in of late, and thus the carrying was still faster and easier than her having to spend extra time waiting for me to try to keep up.

We were inspecting some of the larger projects that had been taken up by the hive. One such was a complete assembly of a full locomotive within the secure confines of the hive. A larger cavern had been set aside, and piece by meticulous piece had been brought in, often one item at a time.

“OK,” I interrupted, “Help me out here.” Chrysalis’ gaze was curious; I rarely spoke up during these kinds of inspections, so she usually let me have the metaphorical spotlight when I did cut in. The supervisor for the build gave me the impatient half-glare of the unexpectedly interrupted. “Explain to me why we’re building a multi-ton vehicle designed to move long distances in a straight line on a track inside a confined room in a hive full of twists and turns and, most importantly, no track?”

The supervisor huffed and turned back to Chrysalis, “As I was saying…” he began.

Mom’s glare could have cut diamonds, “You did not,” she interrupted, “Answer my daughter.”

Now thoroughly derailed (heh), the supervisor stammered, “Y…yes, my queen! Uhm…” he stalled briefly as he glanced around the cavern, eventually settling on the flywheel of the engine. “Right! So, a few years ago some of our infiltrators started getting word that Princess Celestia gave approval for a new railroad system. Naturally, we need to know about whatever new technology the ponies come up with in order to be able to infiltrate and collect properly. A few months ago, one of our agents managed to copy a complete set of blueprints from Equestrian Railcar Industries, and that allowed us to put together an infiltration network across the industry to secure the parts to construct a locomotive engine.” He was (to use the unintentional pun) building up a full head of steam by this point, his excitement for the project bleeding into his voice. “Just buying an engine and having it shipped to the Badlands would only draw attention, of course, so we’re buying every part individually and having them shipped to various locations in Equestria. Our agents at the final shipping destination then re-direct the parts here, where they’re being assembled,” he waved a forelimb dramatically, “Into a complete model for us to study at leisure.”

He pointed to a cluster of infiltrators, “That group over there is part of the infiltration team. They’re here to assemble study, tear down, break, and fix this locomotive so they can learn everything there is to know about the vehicle. Pony’s special talents may give them a bit of a helping hand when operating these things; we need all the study and learned-skill we can to be able to properly blend in, especially if we need to copy an individual in a pinch.” He turned to Chrysalis with a knowing look, “Nothing like getting caught not knowing what your cover identity should know, am I right?”

As Chrysalis rolled her eyes and resumed her previously interrupted conversation, I hopped down and started poking around. My eyes landed on a rack for clothes. On hangers was a batch of transparent robes. One of the infiltrators slipped one on as I watched, the diaphanous fabric settling over the worker, then apparently meld with her carapace.

After waiting for a lull in the conversation, I interrupted again, “Hey, another question for you.” This time I could taste the irritation from the supervisor. Ignoring it, I pressed on, “What’s with the robes?”

“Ah, those are special safety suits we’ve had to make.”

This one took Chrysalis by surprise, “What? Why? Is there some element to the trains that’s dangerous to changelings?”

The supervisor shook his head, “Nothing more than any other environment, save for the unusual combination of having to work in high-heat environments in close quarters with ponies. As I’m sure you’re aware, your highness, higher temperatures are distracting to a changeling, as is being in close contact with a pony. Throw the two together…”

Momma Chrysalis nodded sagely, “…it increases the likelihood of an accidentally dropped disguise. I was under the impression that trains were long and only needed to be staffed by a small crew?”

He sighed resignedly, “That’s their design, yes. However, these first functional models are being built to be hauled by a team, rather like a particularly large carriage. My understanding is that some higher-up pitched it as a fuel saving measure. Why have extra coal cars for long hauls if you’re already going to have a team of ponies aboard that can be strapped in for a pull?”

Chrysalis rolled her eyes again, “Of course, this ignores the hyper-specialization that ponies have, requiring that a team of haulers be employed in addition to the staff on the train itself.”The three of us chuckled. I may disapprove of anti-pony bias, but anti-bureaucrat bias was fair game.

“Basically,” the supervisor changeling continued, “The suits are made to hold a changeling’s disguise for short periods, maybe a few seconds, as well as provide some shielding from the heat of the engines.” We watched as the infiltrator disguised herself as an earth pony and started moving about, apparently testing range of motion.

“How much use are we expecting to get out of the robes?” asked Chrysalis. “An Earth pony can haul a significant amount…more so than my changelings. Are they expecting to need to haul these locomotives over the long term?”

“Good heavens, no!” sputtered the supervisor, “We’d pull the infiltrator before we’d subject them to the workloads an average Earth pony can handle. No,” he shook his head, “We only see the need for a short period while the major arteries are built between the metropolis’. Once those are built and fuel depots put in place at the small towns along the major routes even the Earth ponies will be pulled off of hauling duty. It will only be the transcontinental trips that will need dedicated hauling teams after that, and even then I’d expect that the rate of technological advancement will probably make pony-drawn trains obsolete within a quarter century.”

He sighed, “Of course, the nobility and the merchants and the manufacturing interests are chomping at the bit to get engines and cars and get cargo and ponies transported across the country, far more than the system really has the capacity for.” He waved at a wall that had maps and schedules tacked to it. No fewer than three changelings were flittering about (literally, the wall was at least three stories tall and completely covered) drawing lines, updating charts, crossing out entries. “This set of maps and schedules is just for the current system between Canterlot, Manehattan, and Baltimare.”

I looked up at it, “Oog…that looks like a scheduling nightmare!”

“You don’t know the half of it, kid,” retorted the supervisor, “Some days there’s so many trains moving down the tracks that they’re stacked up like caterpillars all trying to get the last leaf on a branch.”

I grinned, looking from Chrysalis to the supervisor and back. She returned the look with one of suspicion. “What are you up to, my daughter?” came the thought floating through the hive mind.

Instead of answering directly, I turned to the supervisor, “OK, to recap: You have this locomotive in here as a practice and instructional platform for a group of infiltrators who’s primary job is the instruction of other infiltrator agents out in the field, the majority of whom are working in the burgeoning railroad industry to deliver these high-speed conveyances in groups, often requiring they be hauled by a team of ponies or particularly strong changelings. Since there’s only one or two major tracks laid between cities, the transportation efforts often result in convoys or caravans for expediency. Further, for safety and security reasons, the changelings who perform the final tasks alongside their unsuspecting pony co-workers must wear specially made, changeling friendly outer cloaks that provide heat protection and a boost to our natural disguise ability. Does that about summarize it?”

By the time I was done, the supervisor’s expression had faded into something akin to shock that a two-year old would even bother paying that much attention, let alone use the vocabulary I was dropping casually. His brain finally prompted him to nod.

Grinning impishly, I said, “So your train trains trainers to train trains in a train in trains?”

Chrysalis’ hoof slapped against her forehead as the supervisor’s mouth bobbed open and closed like a goldfish, a look of complete incomprehension on his face.

_-/^\-_

My first exposure to the works of Anne McAffrey was through the Harper Hall trilogy, which her fans will know was a supplemental spinoff of the Dragonrider series. It was also the first time I read a story that was fun and engaging that had dragons as a major feature as the good guys. Consequently, whenever the subject of “dragons” came up, I tended to think of wooden sailing vessels and folk-style music with haunting lyrics.

Nightmare Moon watched me as I tied off a sail, catching the wind just right to propel us across open water. Honestly, I have no idea why I was so hung up on the ocean in my dreams. I was born in Colorado and frankly didn’t much care for the idea of large, nigh-bottomless bodies of water hiding living creatures large enough to swallow me whole when I lived in San Diego. Maybe it was my psyche doing a posthumous rejection of having to live in a desert the few years before my death and the couple of years after my hatching. Whatever the reason, I was the temporary “captain” of a small boat, large enough for two people to travel across the ocean between Pern’s northern and southern continents.

I settled in next to Nightmare, who was wearing Harper Blue and apparently stepping into the role of Menoly. The two bronze firelizards settling down on her shoulders was a the best clue, given she still had the bodily proportions and coloration of her pseudo-“Equestria Girls” look. I was apparently in Sebell’s role, though still a woman in this dream, a golden queen firelizard settling on my shoulder as I took my seat. I fidgeted a little, remembering what part of the books this particular scene came from and wondering how to broach the subject.

Ah, well. Nothing for it but to do, “You should know…” I started hesitantly, “…this particular scene in the book it comes from ends in, ah…sex.”

Nightmare started, her surprised motion startling Rocky and Diver into a brief flight before they returned to their perches. She glanced around, connecting that we were the only two on the boat to the obvious conclusion. She was clearly just as uncomfortable as I expected her to be, “But…thou’rt female…and we’re sorry, but we don’t find that form attractive in the least!”

I rolled my eyes, “Gender and physical sex requirements aside, I understand.” I reached up and stroked Kimi’s crest, “If you want to avoid the…physical end game of this scene, just make it so that this firelizard doesn’t go into heat. They’re psychically linked to their owners, so when they start doing like they do on the Discovery Channel, so do their owners.”

Blushing slightly, Nightmare waved her hand in a Jedi-like move, “…done.” she intoned sternly, “Though we were under the impression that the reptile most commonly visualized for sexual dream imagery was a snake.”

I stared at her for a moment, the corner of her mouth flittering ever so slightly upward, “…did you just try to make a joke?”

She blushed and giggled. My own mouth quirked upward, “So you were jesting? You were trying to play the jester?” A hint of confusion crossed her face, but her smile remained as she nodded. “So you were playing the fool?” my own grin starting to reach comic proportions.

It was clear I was baffling her with my sudden line of inquiry, she leaned away slightly, scowling at me only half-serious, “What art thou saying?”

Leaning in conspiratorially, I smirked, “So you’re a…FOOL MOON?”

As her face met her palm, I cackled. “I’m a dad!” I crowed, “That automatically grants me access to the multiverse’s Infinite Dad Joke Repository for all time and eternity! Y’all will never beat me at the bad jokes!” Her only response was the bronze firelizards jumping off and chasing me around the small boat, the little golden queen chasing after them and scolding them for ruining her perch.

_-/^\-_

For about a week, Chrysalis was absent from the hive. Distance apparently lessened the hive mind connection, as repeated queries to the hive mind didn’t yield any impression of direction, condition, or any other clue as to her location. I found out that she had left some time during the night, leaving instructions to ensure I attended my regular classes and not be distracted by the usual things that would claim too much of my attention.

After some inquiries, I discovered that she did this on a semi-regular basis. Prior to my hatching, she would head out at the same time every year and apparently disappear for a week or three, leaving the hive to run itself in her absence. On returning she would never say where she went or why she left, leaving even her most trusted advisors and assistants clueless at her periodic absences.

The weeks’ worth of rather boring breakfasts (apparently, the wait staff were well versed in the best ways to deliver ordered food to a table and not much else) I was pleasantly surprised to see Momma Chrysalis sitting across the table from me again.

“So,” I began after taking a loud and obviously obnoxious sip of my juice, “Where’d you disappear to this last week?”

The look on her face spoke volumes, but she was so closed off it might as well have been in a foreign language. After a pause so long it started getting uncomfortable, she sighed, "I...I'm on the cusp of a discovery. One that could provide for our changelings for the rest of time and make us a world power that challenges even the mighty Equestria."

My eyebrows knit together, "...mom, that sounds very 'I'm a terrorist leader' of you."

She snorted in frustration, "I am not so foolish as to attempt some sort of genocidal attack on the ponies like you've suggested I will do from this show you have told me about, nor do I believe I have some form of Faust-given mandate to kill the ponies like those fools in the world from your previous life."

The uncomfortable feeling in my gut must have reflected on my face. I had been trying to gently dance around the expected attack on Canterlot in about twenty years, but apparently, I hadn't been as subtle as I thought. Or she was just that good at picking up on subtle clues, she is Queen of the Changelings, after all. The look on her face reflected the disappointment in her voice as she continued, "My dear Chrystal, I am a Queen, and have been for over a thousand years. I may not be as powerful as Celestia, but I have nearly as much experience in ruling a nation as she does. Were I to do something so foolish as to attempt an invasion of another nation's capital, that would be an overt act of war. And against Equestria...?" She snorted and shook her head in a very equine gesture of frustration, "I would be dooming my kingdom and my changelings for a very short-sighted reason."

She ducked back to her breakfast, apparently not wanting to continue eye contact. I watched her for a while, memories of two skyscrapers collapsing to rubble and taking thousands of lives with them, and the cartoonish but very powerful explosion of the massive magical throne in the center of this hive blasting off the top of a mountain, and pondering that between the two, I wasn't sure which would actually be more potentially devastating.

Author's Note:

I know, it's short. But damnit, I wanted it done with!