• Published 12th Feb 2017
  • 15,222 Views, 659 Comments

Lost Little Wolf - PrincessColumbia



Yet another human-in-the-body-of-a-show-character story

  • ...
58
 659
 15,222

Chapter 1 - Trauma

Author's Note:

I’m one of the oldest Bronies in the fandom, certainly the oldest I know of personally. (I’m 40, which means the number of people in the fandom that are my age are older are in the single-digit percentages, if not lower) I’ve been an active participant in a number of fandoms (Trekkies, Herc/Xena, Ranma ½ and anime in general, etc.), and one thing that I’m finding amusing is the acceptance, even appreciation of the “self-insert” fanfics in the Brony community. In any other fandom, SI fics are considered to be bottom-of-the-barrel crap. The stuff you write when you’re cutting your teeth on this whole “writing” thing, and swiftly abandoned once your creative writing skills grow to the point where you’re not producing drek. Amongst Bronies, however, they’re not only accepted as a regular meta-genre, they grow their own fanbases that are as rabid as any I’ve ever seen.
While this is not my first SI Horsefic attempt, I am coming at this with quite a bit more experience, both in writing and in life in general, and I’ve got a decent amount of reading of other community accepted writings under my belt, so I know what works and what absolutely doesn’t.
Welcome to my little AU, and I hope you enjoy it.

“The pleasure of remembering had been taken from me, because there was no longer anyone to remember with. It felt like losing your co-rememberer meant losing the memory itself, as if the things we'd done were less real and important than they had been hours before.”

John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

My mind has always been somewhat analytical, even (or especially) in high-stress situations. I believe this comes from a life full of upheaval, learning at an early age that breaking down in a panic in the moment will not help, even hinder, so what else is an adrenaline or stress boosted mind to do but calmly analyze whatever situation one is in?

One such crisis came about when a fuel truck exploded as I was driving past it on my evening commute. For reasons that will become clear, I never did find out what the cause was. Whether it was a terrorist attack (unlikely), over-pressurizing of the contents of the tank trailer thanks to the Arizona heat (possible), or simply poor maintenance causing several problems at once resulting in the tank blowing up during transport (most likely), I would never really know for sure.

Once the world swam into focus, I felt numb from my waist down. Having some unpleasant experience with my body going into shock thinking it was catastrophically losing blood when I was trying to donate plasma a year ago, I was able to keep my wits about me when I looked down and saw a section of my van’s steering column shoved through my torso.

About a decade and a half ago, I had the opportunity to learn a few life lessons from a Viet Nam war veteran. One of the things he taught me was the “three breaths” rule. He had seen enough death during the war that he was able to watch the faces of people who knew they were about to die, and they always had about three breaths between the realization that they were about to meet their end and when that end actually came.

Almost like I was able to see the countdown in my mind’s eye, I knew I had seconds to wrap up my life.

...Three…

I reached into my shirt pocket grateful my phone hadn’t flown out in the explosion and that I hadn’t opted to put it in the windshield mount like I normally would. I unlocked it, opened the phone app, and tapped my ex-wife’s face on the speed dial screen.

...Two…

Miracle of miracles, she answered. “What have I told you about calling me at work?”

“JoLene,” I struggled to speak, “Shut up, I’m dying...accident on the freeway…”

There was a dead silence for a moment, “...what?” I could hear the distress in her voice. I always knew she still loved me, regardless of how much she denied it, if only because her anger was a sure sign of the passion that hid under the lies her family fed her for years about me, leading to her divorcing me a couple of years ago. Well, at least I’d die knowing she really cared about me in the end.

...One…

“Tell Freya…” my vision was fading, I couldn’t see the sunlight anymore, “...love her…” I realized I couldn’t feel my fingers around the phone anymore, I was almost gone, “...love...you…”

I only knew I’d dropped the phone when I heard her crying out my name through the tiny speaker that was probably an inch from my ear, but in a moment, I couldn’t hear that either.

It was the sudden cessation of pain that told me I was dead. I was actually a bit thankful that I didn’t seem to be hanging around the mortal world, I never did like having to clean up catastrophic messes, and I’d learned the hard way during the divorce that lingering around old relationships was just a good way of torturing yourself. I was actually somewhat eager to head into the light, though I was starting to wonder why I wasn’t experiencing the “life flashing before my eyes” thing near-death survivors reported. Two things and two things only seemed to sear themselves into my soul as I passed, the faces of my ex-wife and daughter.

-~<^>~-

Free yourself, my daughter…

Sensation started to return. Fully rational thought hadn’t, I was operating more instinctually than anything else. I started twitching. Flashes, green flashes, flickered around me. My back felt compressed, I had no room to move.

Awake, my princess…

As the thoughts stirred my mind to consciousness, I started thrashing about, my limbs slamming into hard walls, my lungs filled with fluid. The realization that I was not breathing air hit me, so too did the spike of adrenaline that kick-started my mind. Holding my breath, I stilled to assess my situation.

...Daughter!? the foreign thought invaded my mind, distracting me for a moment. It was accompanied by emotions, fear, near panic, and an outpouring of raw, parental love like I’d only ever experienced when my daughter was born. The alien nature of the emotions caused me to jerk my head back reflexively, bumping into one of the walls and top of whatever vessel I was in.

As soon as I reacted, the fear abated to a less...toxic level and the panic disappeared entirely, replaced with relief and excitement. Come, daughter! You must free yourself! It’s time to come out!

I was starting to experience oxygen deprivation, so I was inclined to agree. I shifted, rather like one would move about in a hot tub or swimming pool, and braced my back against one wall, and getting my feet out in front of me. Of course, since all I could see was a very dim green light, only barely visible through the walls of my confinement, I was guiding my movements by muscle memory and feel alone. The symptoms of oxygen deprivation were hammering my awareness, lending urgency to my actions, so when I thrust out, hammering the opposite wall with my legs, I made immediate progress. A crack of light could be seen, and the muffled sound of liquid flowing out of a vessel reached my ears. Encouraged by my progress, plus the outpouring of excitement and love from...wherever it was coming into my mind, I repeated my action. Then again. After the third such strike, the wall of the container I was in fell away, and I was swept out onto a warm floor by the escaping fluid.

Gasping and coughing, I heaved in deep breaths, my mind suddenly inundated with a cacophony of what seemed like whispering voices, but my ears were only reporting the sound of a single other voice, muffled by the fluid still draining out of my aural canals and a few other orifices and crevacis in my body I didn’t want to think about at the moment. The sensation of warm feather-light touches brushed my skin, and in what light there was I could only make out blurry shapes. Whatever the warm feathery sensation was, it was joined with the feeling of being lifted and dried simultaneously. Whatever they were using for their towels was damn fine material. Still hearing the sound of a voice, but unable to make out any words in English, I felt the sensation of being bundled up in a blanket, encouraging cooing becoming a pleasant background noise as the adrenaline rush turned into an adrenaline crash.

The voice returned to my mind, relief, joy, and parental love pouring into me, Sleep, little princess. Having had one hell of a day...or however I was going to measure time now that I was dead, I opted to do as the voice suggested.