• Published 13th Feb 2017
  • 6,943 Views, 164 Comments

Changelings of Harmony - Prismfire Productions



A dying Chrysalis comes to seek aid from the Elements of Harmony, but what cost must be bared?

  • ...
24
 164
 6,943

At the end of one world, another world begins...

The low-hanging clouds above Canterlot did well to reflect the mood of the citizens. A light rain had been falling unabated since before sunrise, and all the shops were locked up tight despite the large crowd that was currently gathered at the castle courtyard. Everypony, and everyling, both young and old, let the rain run off them with no umbrella or coat to wash away the pain they had endured. It had been a week since Themis was brought to Canterlot in chains, and the air was heavy with an unknown tension and suspense that had a light relief mixed in. For the CMC, four of their members quietly looked at the masses around them, from the seating area to the ponies that were standing on the walkway that wrapped around the top of the palace walls.

"Look at them all," Silver Spoon said, a dryness in her tone that contradicted how soaked her chitin was. "Ponies and changelings, together all around us, here to see the downfall of the ways of old. I'm glad we are allies, however, I wish the circumstances were not as… bleak."

"Tell me about it Silvs," Apple Bloom sighed, shaking a few raindrops off the tip of her horn. "We grew in ah time of peace, other than the threats our queens had tah fight off, but fer da most part each day was happy. This was ah wake up call that t'ings weren't always rosy, like when Celestia and Luna had to unite da tribes, or da Griffin Wars."

"Don't forget The War of the North after Sombra's downfall as well," Scootaloo said, looking down at the imposing gallows, where a short figure wearing a black cloak was waiting by the lever that activated the trap door. "Ponies die, changelings die, everycreature dies, this should remind everyone that actions have consequences. For Themis, her refusal to reform and the heinous acts she did led to the consequence we are about to witness, and it is symbolic in more than one way."

"How so Scoots?" Sweetie Belle, who had been fiddling with a Ponix Cube as a mandatory lesson in magic control from her sister, asked as she looked at her orange-shelled hivesister. "Way I see it, her death only means the death of her hive, seeing as the rest of her changelings that sided with her were all drained of their love stores in front of Themis last week."

"There is more to it than that Sweetie, and do you think it is appropriate for you to be messing with that cube on this occasion?" Scootaloo's remark hit home, making Sweetie lower the cube, which only had one correct side, into her hooves in shame. "Not only is it the death of her hive, but it is also the death of the Bad Days. We no longer have to live in fear, or forcibly steal love, we can walk side by side hoof in hoof with our fellow citizens freely."

"You are smarter than I gave you credit for," The moment the male voice hit their ears, each of the drones locked up in terror. Turning their heads, they all gasped in shock as Fault Line approached with a small smile on his face. What was more surprising to them, and made them stop cowering in fear, was not the smile, but how shiny his chitin was, the glossy black shell blemish-free besides the scars from where his horn and wings used to be. "However, you are going to witness someone taking their final breath. I have killed enough ponies and changelings alike in my past to know what that moment is like, it haunts you, and even now I can see their faces imprinted in my memory."

"That is no longer you crumpling," Derpy said, joining the conversation and placing a wing over Fault Line's back, making the drone relax at the sensation. "You are a better changeling now, and you told me that you have seen the err of your ways."

"Without the influence of Themis' hive mind, I was able to think about my actions," Fault said, the younger drones, as well as any changelings nearby, feeling a mix of guilt, shame, and regret coming from him. "I realized that I was nothing more than a pawn in her schemes, my loyalty to her nearly being my downfall by thinking I could win her favor when in actuality she was only out for herself. She never really did care about any of us, she just wanted our love stores to fuel her wicked desires. I mean, sure, she took care of us, but I have since come to realize that she only did that so we could continually be used. I know you probably won't take much stock in this, but, I am sorry for what I made you witness and put Diamond Tiara through."

"Apology accepted," Scootaloo said, the others quickly nodding in agreement. "It would be wrong of us to hold a grudge, also, you look happy with Derpy."

"What can I say?" Fault chuckled, turning to look Derpy in her eyes. "Some ponies know how to quiet the inner demons lurking in the shadows of my mind."

Every couple that has ever coupled knew The Look, a gaze of deeper meaning and understanding between partners that the average pony would not understand. It was able to make time seemingly stay still for brief moments, wordless conversations flowing back and forth and both partners knowing every word. For ponies, it was a look that symbolized the relationship's union, forged by Harmony in a bond that amplified the love that they shared. The same was mostly true for changelings, but with their ability to sense and absorb emotions, they could feel the love in the gaze. It permeated from their heads to their hooves, saturating them in a pleasant sensation akin to a nice honey tea filling them in bliss. The Crusaders could tell that Fault and Derpy had that bond, the love radiating off them pulsing like a star's energy and nearly overwhelming them from how strong it was.

"A-anyway," Fault said, clearing his throat as he reminded himself that he was in public and not in the comfort of his Ponyville home. "I just wanted to apologize for my actions, since I didn't know if the opportunity would present itself again anytime soon."

"At least you apologized," Silver said, her's and everyone else's ears swiveling to the sound of a drum roll. "I think you two should get to your seats, sounds like the main event is about to begin."


Above the gathered crowd, the royal balcony had been modified for the special occasion. The normally empty outcrop had been redone with drapes and cushioned seats for each queen in the Covenant, with the Harmony Hive taking the central seats. The Queens all sported ceremonial outfits, custom-made by Rarity to represent their respective hives with honor, while Fluttershy wore a far more elaborate dress due to being the Head Queen.

"Are you sure you want to do this Fluttershy?" Rainbow said, looking at her closest friend in deep concern. "If you did all this to make a point, you certainly got it across, and it is not too late to commute her sentence and issue a pardon."

"No," Fluttershy's single word reply carried the weight of a million, her tone devoid of all feeling and her gaze firmly locked on the wooden structure that would soon be where Themis met her demise as the first drum roll echoed across the courtyard and causing the crowd to quickly take their seats. "As I have stated before, Themis is a lost cause Rainbow, there is no hope for her. The primary reason I was able to reform Discord was deep down there was some good in him, good that does not exist in Themis nor does she want it.

"Over the last week, each of us have tried to use our respective elements as a means to try and redeem her, and each time she refused. Tell me, can you honestly redeem someone who does not wish to be redeemed? Someone who does not want to let go of their wickedness, and would rather die than change? Sure, imprisonment by stoning was an option, and so was being thrown in Tartarus, but what good would those options be since it opens the door for her to potentially be turned loose later. Oh no, this required something that would make a far more lasting impact, and eliminate the problem at its root. I may be the Element of Kindness, but I also have to look after the future of the changeling race.ⁿ

"Remember what I told you about the slippery slope," Celestia said standing near the entranceway to the balcony as a second drum roll rang out and made Fluttershy stand as she prepared to address the gathered populace. "If you start to show the signs of falling…"

"Then the protocol will be followed, but for now…" Fluttershy said, turning her attention to the courtyard, where everyone was awaiting her to start her address. "Ponies and changelings alike, we are gathered here today for a very special occasion, for today is the day the ways of old become another bookmark in the pages of history, and opening the door for the first steps of progress! Guards, please bring forward the prisoner."

At the command, another drum roll echoed out and the doors that lead to one of the access tunnels down to the dungeon were opened. Four guards, two Solar and two changelings, marched in perfect lockstep as Themis was paraded out, with the prisoner in question having a neutral expression on her face and her nose upturned in defiance. The week in confinement had not served her well, with her chitin more grey than black and her wings dulled from refusing to take the offered love samplings she had been provided.Yet, her slightly larger holes and sunken facial features did wonders to add to the menacing aura she put off; and even with an inhibitor ring clasped firmly around the base of her horn, she reveled in the sweet nectar that was the fear being put off by everyone in the crowd.

"Even in death, I still cause fear…" Themis mused, inwardly chuckling a bit at that revelation. "Even when my body decays, my legacy will last for generations, whether with magic or without it, my deeds will stand the sands of time."

She was interrupted from, to her point of view, a final hoof up ponykind's posterior, by the feeling of two spear shafts blocking her path. Looking at the offending parties with a glare that shook the two drones to the core and seared into their brains, she noticed that they had stopped her from walking off the edge of the gallow's platform, her short march up the stairs having gone unnoticed to her senses.

"Queen Themis the Fallen," Celestia said, all sound ceasing in the courtyard and making the disgraced changeling glare at the Sunbringer as the alicorn spoke her lines. "In accordance with the laws of this land, and the laws of the changeling kingdom, the following rights have been hereby revoked:"

A drum roll carried on.

"The right to quarter… suspended."

A drum roll carried on.

"The right to call assembly… suspended."

A drum roll carried on.

"The right to trial… suspended."

A drum roll carried on.

"In accordance with the laws of the First Mother, Head Queen Fluttershy has found you guilty of all crimes against both ponykind and changelings, and…" Celestia briefly paused, steeling herself before saying the words there were no coming back from as the guards placed the noose around Themis' neck. "Have been sentenced to hang by the neck until dead. At this time, if you have any last words or plead for mercy, now is the time to do so."

The air stilled in anticipation, and even the falling rain seemed to mute its pitter patter as every pony and changeling looked at the figure standing on the saffoldfold. Themis looked at them all, seeing and feeling the judgement that came from each of their eyes, their stories of horror and pain battering at her defenses like miniature bugbears but still her resolve remained strong and swatted it all away. With the drums in the background, a mirthful grin crossed her face as she looked at the balcony.

"The queen… and her drones… overwhelmed the throne…
Turning her heart… to stone…
And as she rose… to power,
Her soul… did sour…
Now, its her last… hour…

"F-fluttershy," Rainbow said, everyone in earshot sharing the same slack-jawed expression at hearing Themis' beautifully haunting tones, soft like a gentle spring breeze and the complete opposite of her normal menacing demeanor. "Is… is her last words going to be her singing?"

"Indeed she is Rainbow," Fluttershy was humored by the sudden change in disposition Themis was showing, even waving off pulling the trap door with a simple command over the hive mind to allow the former queen to finish. As Themis opened her mouth to resume, a slight grin pursed the corner of her butter-yellow lips. "And so it shall be."

"Come… one… and… all
And see… her final fall…
Through battles won, and battles lost…
Now she pays her cost…

Many died, and many lived…
As she stole and fibbed…
And as she ruled, from a throne so high…
Others… soon saw the lies…

Come… one… and… all…
And hear, the drum roll call…
Through battles won, and battles lost…
Now she pays her cost…

Her crimes of old, have surfaced fresh…
Now, they'll take her breath!
A symbol of… how things used… to be…
So changelings can be free!

Come one and all
Make heed, don't stall…
And see… her final fall…
Through battles won, and battles lost…
Now she pays her cost…

Come one and all,
Stand upon the wall…
And hear, the drum roll call…
Through battles won and battles lost…
Now she pays her cost…

The queen… and her drones… overwhelmed the throne…
Turning her heart… to stone…
And as she rose… to power,
Her soul… did sour…
Now, its her last… hourrrrrr…"

Comments ( 2 )

11174441
I was silently praying at least one person got the chapter inspiration...

Login or register to comment