• Published 14th Feb 2017
  • 501 Views, 10 Comments

Birds of a Feather Shy Together - Emperor



Garnet Graphite, alicorn Prince of Equestria, sees a performance of the Pony-Tones. Developing a crush on Fluttershy, he wants to ask her out for a date. This would be much easier if he weren't more socially crippled than Fluttershy herself.

  • ...
1
 10
 501

The Main Chapter

The sun had come up in the sky, inviting all the little ponies to come out and play. Since the dawn of history, most creatures were diurnal, preferring the warm feeling of the bright, revitalising sunlight as it beat down on their coats.

I simply groaned and turned over, turning my head away from the window. Perhaps it was time to invest in some blacklight curtains. That way I wouldn’t have to worry about some pegasus flying by and being able to see me through my current curtains.

Knock knock!

“Nnnrgh,” I moaned, sitting up. My blankets and pillow were so warm and tempting. My bed was my fortress. Nobody would bother trying to talk to me while I was here. Well, I guess there was Auntie Luna, but she was different.

Knock knock!

My ears twitched as I finally recognised the knock for what it was. It was subtle, but there was a difference between a pony knocking with her hoof and a creature with hands or claws knocking with a fist. Quickly, I was out of my bed and flew down the stairs. I was pretty certain I know who it was.

However, just to be safe, I looked through the peephole.

“Ugh, c’mon Garnet, I could hear you flying down the stairs. Just open up already!”

Using my wings, I opened up three of latches and locks, then swung the door. “C’moninSpike,” I said in a hurry, pleading with him to get in before one of the ponies on the street noticed me.

“Ugh.” Spike rolled his eyes, but came in quick, and I closed the door behind him. He quickly unloaded the multiple bags he was carrying onto my table. “Garnet, you’re going to have to go out there someday.”

“B-but out there is scary,” I said, my hooves shaking and teeth chattering as I thought about it. “Out there are o-other p-ponies.”

Even though he was facing away from me, I was pretty certain Spike was rolling his eyes again. “You’re an alicorn. I’m sure most of them would bow to you.”

“Y-y-yeah, b-but what if they start asking me for favours or start using all my titles or get too close to me?” I squirmed in discomfort, folding my wings around my chest in comfort.

“Well, at least the princess won’t banish you or throw you in a dungeon or banish you and then throw you in a dungeon she banishes you to.”

I scrunched my nose. “W-would she r-really do that?”

“Well d’uh, of course she wouldn’t—oh,” Spike spun around, looking guilty. “Oh, sorry dude. I keep forgetting I’m talking to you. No, none of them would do that.”

I sat down, not trusting myself to walk. “O-oh. That’s good, then,” I said.

“Oh, I also have a letter for you.”

I backed up a couple of steps in instinct. “F-from who?”

“Looks like it’s from Princess Celestia. It’s in her hornwriting, anyways,” said Spike, pulling a scroll out from behind him. “Yep, to Prince Garnet Graphite. Huh, she didn’t bother with any of the titles this time.”

“Th-that’s good, no titles are good!” My stutter dropped as I hastily spoke. “Um, may I, please?”

“Wha—oh, here you go,” Spike said, passing me the scroll.

I took it in my wing. “Thanks,” I said. I concentrated as I used my magic to carefully unroll the scroll. Even if she was my aunt, I didn’t want to tear anything Auntie Celestia sent me. Slowly holding it up in front of me, I read it.

To Prince Garnet Graphite,

Hello, nephew. I am writing today to check up on you. It has been some time since I was last able to see you in pony. I believe it would have been when Luna and I visited you after the wedding between Cranky Doodle and Matilda Donkey. I wish I could see you more often, but you know how it is. You do not come to see us, so it is only when we have the free time I can come see you.

I hope you do not begrudge me still for forcing you to move to Ponyville. I still feel strongly that a change in location was necessary for you to be able to meet some more ponies. If nothing else, I have heard that you are continuing to make new acquaintances on a casual basis, and Princess Twilight tells me your skills in magic are coming along nicely.

Having said that, I would like for you to try going out for an hour a week into town, and not during the dead of night. I understand you still struggle to do this, so go out with Spike if you need to, or even disguise yourself if you want.

I have been having a hectic time here, attempting to settle new treaties with King Thorax. I do not believe I will be able to see you again for some time, but I will give you my regards.

Yours Truly,

Celestia

I looked up. “When did Auntie send this out?”

“This morning,” said Spike.

I took a deep breath. It was rare for me to go outside. However, if Auntie Celestia had requested it, then I would at least try, even for an hour. One hour, and that will be it, I told myself.

“How-um, how about you let me put the food away, and I’ll come out with you,” I said Spike.

He looked surprised. “Seriously? You’re going to come out during the day, Garnet?”

I shuddered at the thought of being surrounded by so many ponies. I bit my tongue. That was what my pills were for, after all, to help me get through the day.

“Y-yeah. I-I will,” I said. “I j-just need to use one sp-spell first.”



Spike snorted. “I didn’t think by spell you meant you’d use an invisibility spell, Gee.”

I walked beside him, one black-furred hoof in front of another as I enjoyed the sun for the first time in over a week. “Y-you know h-how I am, Spike.”

The young dragon nodded. “Yeah, I know. Sorry, I deal with two mares who have their own issues, I can’t imagine what it’s like for you. Uh, you know we still wouldn’t mind if you move into the castle, right?”

I swallowed. “A-and run into somepony who c-comes into the castle for an audience, or just to v-visit? I-I still have trouble with Starlight, you know.”

“I suppose,” said Spike. “Well, anywhere you want to go, then?”

“Uh, um.” I hadn’t actually thought beyond the initial point of going outdoors. “Is there anything going on in town today?”

“Oh, yeah. The Pony-tones are playing in fifteen minutes in the town square. They’re a singing ensemble. Rarity is part of them, and her singing voice is just beautiful,” Spike said, a dreamy expression on his face.

I didn’t begrudge Spike his crush. I was genuinely happy for him, even if I didn’t think it would end well for him due to their age difference. Still, I couldn’t say no to a good performance. It had been ages since I last listened to live singing or music, and that would be right up my alley. “Th-that sounds g-good. L-let’s go, then.”

We walked over to town plaza, where a stage was set up three seasons of the year as a multi-use venue, such as for town council events, holiday celebrations, and of course, for a singing group to use. Ponies were already crowding around. I stopped Spike with a hoof just outside of the square.

“What is—oh, this far enough for you?” Spike asked. He kept his voice to a whisper so he didn’t look weird, talking to thin air.

“Y-yeah,” I said. Even if I was invisible, I would have a difficult time functioning around that many ponies. Already, I was feeling my heart thumping in my chest. Any further and I would risk collapsing.

A few more minutes passed, and then the curtains pulled apart. Three mares and two stallions walked apart. I recognised two of the mares. Rarity was obvious, as she was one of the rare few ponies I had met in town and talked to on a few occasions, with her being my personal tailor. The lemon-yellow pegasus behind her was Fluttershy, who I knew by virtue of being one of the Elements of Harmony. The other three were only vaguely recognisable. I had probably seen them in town before, but that was about it.

Rarity took front stage for a few moments as she introduced the group. “Fillies and gentlecolts, thank you for coming to today’s show. Ponyville, I present to you, your Pony-tones!”

I held my hooves up to my ears as I knew what was coming next: ponies everywhere cheered out raucously, with several of them stomping their hooves on the ground. My medication was already beginning to work its wonders today, but a side-effect was it made loud noises even more intolerable.

Once the applause died down, however, the Pony-tones started.

I beat my head to the tune they had going. It was enjoyable. It was not the absolute best thing I ever heard, but for a group of amateurs from a semi-rural redoubt like Ponyville, it was terrific. There was heart and passion in what they did, and their voices blended together nicely.

Then she sang solo.

“There's music in the treetops, and there's music in the vale, and all around the music fills the sky. There's music by the river, and there's music in the grass, and the music makes your heart soar in replyyyyyy!” Fluttershy sang as she flew into the air. Her yellow coat practically shone golden in the sunlight, the pink of her mane and tail contrasting nicely.

I could feel my heart thumping in my chest. It was so loud I was certain it must have drowned out her voice and everything else there. Yet Fluttershy’s delicate singing voice, the graceful way she flew through the air, her waifish frame...she was beautiful.

“Isn’t she gorgeous?” Spike asked from beside me. It was obvious he was pining for Rarity.

“Yes, Spike. She sure is,” I agreed with him, even as we spoke about different mares.



A few weeks later, I was able to head out on my own again. It took a lot of artful dodging the glances of ponies, and a little bit of long-distance teleportation, but I was able to make it to the Carousel Boutique at the centre of town.

“Oh, Garnet, it’s good to see you again. I haven’t seen you in some time, darling,” Rarity spoke as I came in. “I was a little surprised to get your message asking for a private fitting session, but, well, for a customer as good as you I can do plenty!”

I shuffled my hooves, glad that at least Rarity wasn’t throwing herself at me. Much of it was no doubt thanks to her being one of Twilight’s friends. I had also heard about her having some sort of spat with my cousin Blueblood at one of the Grand Galloping Galas a few years ago, which may have soured her to the idea of marrying into nobility. I didn’t really know, I wasn’t going to inquire into either of their affairs.

Still, it made for a nice outing to get fitted by Rarity. I guess Twilight told her about me beforehand, but Rarity had treated me with soft hooves, always careful to back off when I showed any sign of nervousness. I liked that in her.

Of course, I had a little bit of an ulterior motive today, knowing she sang in the Pony-tones alongside Fluttershy.

“So, is there any particular outfit you want done for today?” Rarity asked, taking my measurements closely.

I looked into the mirror. Soft red eyes looked out. They were tired. Rarity had often found it difficult to come up with colours that didn’t clash with my dark gray coat and garnet mane and tail, and I had a feeling that discussion was going to be exhausting again today. “A regular t-tuxedo will do today, please. I have outgrown my old one. Semi-casual. It isn’t as if I expect to attend full state dinners or anything in the future,” I said with a self-deprecating chuckle that felt like I was being mean to myself more than anything. It wasn’t like I enjoyed being socially anxious or anything. I hated that part of myself, just like I despised a lot of other things about me.

Rarity seemed a little startled about my self-loathing comment , but she took it in grace as she continued to measure. “Hmm, do you expect your blade of the scapula to grow out further?”

“My wh-what, sorry?”

“Your shoulder blade,” Rarity elaborated. “Not your wing-length, but the width of your wings at the base, where it comes out. I need to size the openings on your suit to accommodate any further growth.” She gently traced the contours of my shoulders to give me a tactile demonstration.

“Ah. Um. The-the doctor said I should, uh, I should e-expect it to grow out for a f-few more years still,” I said, fidgeting as I felt like I was being interrogated. Rarity’s touch, soft as it was, didn’t help.

Rarity backed away, and she started to use her magic to guide her tape measures around. I was at least able to tolerate the tape measures in close contact without a panic attack.

Well, it was worth getting outfitted to be able to talk to Rarity today. “Um, so I saw you perform the other day. The-the Pony-tones, that is.”

“Oh, really, darling? What did you think?” Rarity asked, suddenly a lot more exuberant.

My heart beat rapidly in my chest and it took all I had not to swallow my tongue. Well, I couldn’t really swallow my tongue, but it felt like I was going to. “I-uh, it was g-good, it w-was really good,” I said, trying to be as forthright and honest as I could. I didn’t want Rarity to think I was being dishonest. “I was c-curious, though. That one, um, pegasus in your group, sh-she was r-r-r-rather g-good, too.”

If Rarity noticed my stutter get worse, she didn’t say anything. “Oh, you mean Fluttershy? You should know who she is already, she is one of the Elements of Harmony after all! But yes, she is a valuable member of our group. That is truly a funny story, actually, Garnet dear. Fluttershy used to have stage fright, as bad as you would if you ever tried to perform, but she was able to overcome her fears and join the Pony-tones!”

Rarity’s voice had gone from neutral to a positive chime. Normally, it would have unnerved me, but I couldn’t help but feel inspired as she recounted the tale. “Wh-when was this?”

The unicorn mare looked thoughtful, and stopped her measuring to think about it. “Hmm. This was after Twilight became a Princess, but before the Tirek incident, so I guess this would have been around the time you moved to Ponyville.”

I swallowed. “I see.” Now was the most difficult step, trying to figure out how to maneuver the conversation to ask some more about Fluttershy.

Perhaps I should have asked Twilight Sparkle or Spike instead. At least I could speak with them steadily without turning into a nervous wreck.

Suddenly, there was the chiming of bells. Rarity rolled her eyes. “Ugh, I put up a busy sign, who would igno—”

“Teehee, hey Rarity, how’s it going today?”

“Of course. Pinkie Pie. Excuse me a moment, Garnet,” Rarity said as she set her measurements and measuring tape aside to go talk to her friend.

It was too late, though, and I felt sick as I watched the pink party pony bounce through into the private fitting parlor. “Oh hey Rarity, whatcha doing? Oh Garnet Graphite, I still haven’t been able to hold a ‘Welcome to Ponyville Party’ for you, when can I do it?! Can I do it today, can I, can I?!”

I wanted to teleport so desperately out of there. Unfortunately, I had never gotten it so finely ingrained that I could perform the spell even in stressful situations, so I settled for quickly running behind a changing curtain and going, “Meep”.

“Silly Garnet, why are you hiding there? Oh, are the mole people invading? Everypony knows red changing curtains are the number one thing to stop them, right after unleashing a horde of pink platypuses on them, teehee, that’s such a funny word, platypuses, I wonder if I could get one as a playing companion for Gumm—”

“Pinkie!”

I jumped at Rarity’s angry shout. When that pony wanted to lay down the law, she was a force to be reckoned with.

“Pinkie, what have I told you before about barging in on me while I’m doing business with a customer in private?” Rarity asked, steel evident in her tone.

“Um, take extra super-duperiffic special not to chase him off?”

Rarity didn’t answer. She probably expected Pinkie to connect the dots for herself. I was just glad she had kept Pinkie from coming back behind the curtain.

“Well, he’s still here, so I haven’t chased him off!”

This time, there was an audible groan. “No, Pinkie. Ugh, let me put it another way. Would you prank Fluttershy?”

I could hear the intake of air that followed. “What, no! I could never prank Fluttershy, she’s so sensitive, it would hurt her feelings!”

“Well, you sure don’t seem to act like it sometimes,” Rarity said tartly. “Garnet Graphite is much like poor Fluttershy is, and I don’t want you giving him one bit of trouble while he’s here in my shop. You will either agree to that, or I will have to ask you to leave.”

“But Rarity—”

“Pinkie Promise or leave.”

There was a sigh. “Alright, Rarity. I Pinkie Promise I won’t annoy Garnet Graphite for the rest of the day.”

“That’s good. Garnet, darling. Are you alright?”

“Y-yes,” I said, not quite believing myself.

“Would you be OK to come out?”

“J-just g-give me a-a few seconds,” I said, pressing my hoof up against my chest, willing my heart to slow down and return to a normal beat.

There was a ritual that I had developed over time from these panic attacks. I knew I was in a safe spot, so I closed my eyes. My hoof was already up against my chest, so that part was done. My vision gone dark, I first focused on taking control of my breathing, going from rapid breaths to a more calm, consistent of breathing. With my pulmonary rhythm in check, I focused on my heartbeat. Whether it was a psychological thing or otherwise, listening to it always helped to steady it.

Once I was reasonably able to function again, I stepped out from behind the curtains. “Um, hello Rarity, ah, good afternoon, Miss Pinkie Pie.”

I wilted under both Rarity and Pinkie’s gazes. Having one mare look at me was bad enough, two made me nervous.

“I-I, I, I l-l-l…” I trailed off. My stomach was doing flip-flops at the rate of several times a second, like it was trying to get a medal in gymnastics. I was pretty sure the food I had ate earlier had found a way to fight gravity, if the nausea I was feeling was any indicator. Attempting to form any further words was physically painful.

Rarity recognised my mood, and changed tacks. “So, Garnet, have you read any good books lately?” It was a lame method to go to a different subject, and we both recognised it. I was still thankful for it.

Then we both took notice of what Pinkie was up to. Inexplicably, her front left hoof started shaking, insubordinate to the greater pony, followed by her teeth chattering, then her tail twitching once, then twice.

“What was that, Pinkie dear?” Rarity asked. We were both wary of the Pinkie sense. I cast my field of magical perception out, checking for anything bad that might be happening our way.

“Oooh, my front left hoof followed by my teeth and then two tail twitches!” Pinkie said excitedly. “I don’t know, but if I was to guess, I think somepony is crushing hard on Fluttershy and wants to ask her out but is too nervous to do so!”

I felt like I had been slugged in the gut, and there was a definite acidic sensation in my throat now. Even worse was watching the look on Rarity’s face, as she deciphered Pinkie’s odd explanation, then honed in on the truth. It felt like I was watching it in slow-motion, and I was the rat in a cage the universe loved to torment.

Rarity immediately turned around and used her magic to grab Pinkie Pie by the tail. It seemed she was just in time, too, as Pinkie looked like she was about to leave the shop. “Pinkie, I need you to make another Pinkie Promise,” Rarity said calmly.

“Awww, but Rares—”

“But Rares nothing,” Rarity snapped. “Now you Pinkie Promise not to tell anypony else, no, anyone else about Garnet darling’s crush, without his express permission.”

Woah, I thought, as some of my limited libido came to the surface. Rarity wasn’t taking Pinkie’s attitude at all today, and she was slapping Pinkie around like a filly. But it also made me anxious to know that the truth was out, and not through something like me blurting it out, but through a ridiculous thing like the Pinkie Sense!

Pinkie whined, but she soon went through the motions again. “I promise not to tell anyone else about Garnet’s crush on Fluttershy, cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!”

It did make me feel a little bit safer. Even from my redoubt as a shut-in, I knew about the Pinkie Promise, and how much Pinkie Pie considered it to be sancrosanct.

Then Rarity turned back to me, and all that thought about safety went right out the window. “Now, darling, Fluttershy is one of my dearest friends. I think the two of you would be a perfect fit, honestly, so don’t be nervous thinking I disapprove of it,” she said, moving right off to reassure me. “I know you wouldn’t hurt a fly, Garnet, but Fluttershy is much like you. She’s sensitive to just about everything.”

Her inquisitive eyes honed in on me. Then she brought her hooves up, squishing her cheeks. “Oh, this is so great! I get to help a pony ask one of my best friends out. Ohhh, I can just see it now, but I need to help you rehearse first!”

“B-but...I didn’t say a-anything about asking her out…” I hung my head in defeat as Rarity continued to rave.



“Um, good afternoon, Fluttershy,” I said as I looked into the mirror.

“That’s better, Garnet. Do try not to slouch so much,” Rarity urged.

I lifted my shoulders up. “Ah, g-good afternoon, Fluttershy.”

“That’s more like it,” the mare praised me. “Now, assume Fluttershy doesn’t know who you are. Well, she will, nearly everypony knows who you are, but Fluttershy doesn’t know know you. So she’ll go something like ‘Oh, um, hello. It’s nice to meet you’,” Rarity said, adopting a timid falsetto to imitate Fluttershy’s voice. “Then what will you say?”

“Ah, it’s n-nice to meet you t-too, Fluttershy. I’m, um, Garnet Graphite. I d-don’t know if y-you’ve seen me around town much, b-but I saw your recent performance with the Pony-tones. I, I really admired your per-performance,” I spoke to the mirror.

I was more than a little annoyed at Rarity for doing this, as I would have rather crushed on Fluttershy from afar than go through the difficult step of actually talking to her. However, Rarity was intent on helping me out, and after the first hour, I was grateful for her coaching efforts. My voice was getting steadier with every set of lines she had me rehearse. Really, she seemed to know me all too well.

But then, since Fluttershy seemed to be much like me, just to a lesser extreme, I suspected Rarity had experience in coaxing the best out of shy ponies. Pinkie Pie had wanted to help, insisting on using something she called her ‘Fluttersuit’, only for Rarity to push her away. Rarity had helped me a lot already, but it would still pale compared to getting Pinkie to leave. I didn’t think I could stand being exposed to Pinkie’s antics for much longer than I had already today.

At last, however, several hours past when our outfitting session had nominally ended, Rarity decided I was ready. “Don’t be surprised if Fluttershy turns you down, Garnet dear. But I know Fluttershy. She’ll turn you down in the gentlest way possible,” Rarity said as she escorted me towards the edge of Ponyville where Fluttershy lived. We had gone out the back door of the Carousel Boutique, so that I could avoid seeing most ponies.

Then we got to the path leading up to Fluttershy’s house. I could see it from afar. The cottage looked like it came out of a painting. It stood on top of a short hill, the back end of it jutting over the hill, with multiple windows all over the place. The road leading up to the building took a winding loop, and even had a small arch bridge that went over a tiny brook. Birdhouses were everywhere, hanging from trees, on top of trees, and even attached to the house’s chimney. It was picturesque, and I would be approaching the mare who lived there.

I can do this! I can go up to Fluttershy’s cottage, knock on her door, and ask her out! I can do it! I gave myself a pep-rally, attempting to get my courage up.

I took another step further. I can do it! Yes, you can do it, Garnet, you can do it! I took still another step. I could do it. I could go and ask out Fluttershy, and I could take her out on a date, and I could—

I could turn around and vomit into the bush.


“OK, so obviously that didn’t work,” said Rarity, averting her eyes as I washed the taste of vomit out of my mouth. She hoofed me a piece of candy when I was done. It was citrus-flavoured. “I don’t have any lozenges on hoof, so that will have to do,” she said.

“Ah, th-thanks,” I said. I washed my hooves again, then used them to wipe the hot, shameful tears off my cheeks. “I-I must l-look like a fool, don’t I?”

Rarity sucked in a deep breath, then exhaled. “Maybe so, Garnet. I think I have an idea, though. Stay here, please, I’ll be back in a few minutes if I can find him.”

I wanted to ask who ‘him’ was, but Rarity was quick to move as she turned around and fled the room. Instead, I turned to look at myself in one of Rarity’s mirrors again. I was right, I was in a sorry state. My black coat hit the tear streaks well, but the snot trail was more obvious, there was still a bit of dried stomach acid on my chin, and my eyes were red. Sometimes I wished I could use the invisibility spell and disappear forever, but I didn’t kid myself. I was barely able to function as it was among other ponies, it would be neigh upon impossible to strike out on my own.

So I worked to cleaning my face off some more. It was a short while, but I heard the door chime as Rarity came back to her home and business. Turning around, I saw who the guest she brought was.

“Oh,” I said as I quickly deduced Rarity’s plan. “Hello, Gaster.”

“Hello, prince,” said the changeling as he followed beside Rarity.

Rarity looked at Gaster oddly. “Your name is Gaster? I thought it was Kevin.”

Gaster waved the question aside. “Kevin is just something that a few people decided to call me, and I guess it stuck. You know, like how some ponies call you Rares or Rarara, or others call the prince over there Gee-Gee. A nickname, in other words.”

The mare wrinkled her nose, clearly not liking one or the other or both of her nicknames. “I see. In any event, the two of you know each other? That makes it easier, then.”

“You want him to turn into Fluttershy?” I asked. My voice was steadier now, and I had talked with Gaster enough times before that I could tolerate him. His emotion senses helped, as he knew when to back off. Ponyville’s resident changeling had worked hard to ingratiate himself into the community, and he was still unique in town with his black carapace, compared to the multi-hued ‘changedlings’ that had moved into Ponyville since.

“That was the plan, yes,” Rarity affirmed.

“A-alright. Then, please do it, Gaster,” I said to him.

The changeling shrugged, and then green fire surrounded his form. I held my hoof up to my eyes, having forgotten how bright it was, only lowering it after his transformation was complete.

I found myself trembling as I saw her again. The rational part of my mind knew that it wasn’t Fluttershy, that it was just Gaster transformed into her. However, the rational part of my brain hadn’t been able to get me out conversing with ponies in general yet, and it certainly didn’t seem like it would help now.

Fluttershy was cute, and now that I was seeing her close-up again, the crush I had on her was flaring up again. It would be difficult to say anything, lest my stutter be worse than ever.

Then Fluttershy spoke. “Wow, dude, you really have it hard, don’t you?”

That did it, and I giggled, though it came out more like a squeak. “Hehe, y-your v-voice, sorry Gaster, it’s just so, heh, funny.”

“Huh? Oh, right,” Gaster said. Even though he had turned into Fluttershy, he still has his normal voice, a deep, raspy voice. It just sounded ineffably wrong coming from Fluttershy’s waifish frame, but where my rational part was unable to help me function, the disconnect between voice and form had. My nerves had deflated, and even Rarity was smirking.

I took a breath. I could do this.

“Um, hello, Fluttershy,” I said, introducing myself.

“Oh, yes?” Gaster asked, his voice finally changing to reflect the mare.

I licked my lips nervously. “Um, my name is Garnet Graphite. You might have heard of me from Twilight, but I live here in Ponyville.”

“Oh, I’ve heard of you. It’s Prince Garnet, right?” Fluttershy asked, looking at me with curiosity.

“Y-yes. Um, I saw you at a r-recent concert, you, you know, the Pony-tones. You, ah, you have a very nice singing voice.”

“Ah. Um. Thank you very much,” Fluttershy said, as she hid her eyes behind her mane.

Rarity chose this point to interrupt. “I’m not certain whether to be impressed or disturbed you have Fluttershy’s mannerisms down perfect, Kevin. Oh, sorry. Ignore me, carry on.”

“I, um, was wondering where you learned to sing,” I said, fumbling for something to continue the conversation.

“Oh. I just learned it on my own. I love to sing along with my animals, especially my bird choir, so I picked it up over time,” said Fluttershy.

“Um, well, you might be interested in the Royal Gardens in Canterlot,” I said. “Mr. Greenhooves keeps a large menagerie.”

“Aaaaand, stop right there,” Rarity cut in again. “Sorry Garnet, but Fluttershy has already seen the gardens. It was, um, not the best time for her.”

“Oh.” Well, that was one subject shot down. Fortunately, I had already rehearsed some things to say before my first attempt to go ask out Fluttershy, so I changed tacks with my next attempt.

By the end of the session, I felt like I had made great strides forward. Rarity looked me over and said, “Garnet darling, would you mind coming back tomorrow to do this a little more? Kevin, or Gaster, I hope that’s alright with you.”

Gaster just nodded. Meanwhile, I said, “Sure. I can come back t-tomorrow. Ah, thanks again, Rarity.”

“Don’t mention it, dear. Ooooh, it would be so nice to get Fluttershy a coltfriend for once!”

I was getting the impression Rarity wasn't doing all of this entirely out of the goodness of her heart. That mare has read too many romance novels, I thought. However, I was incredibly grateful for what she had done for me over the last few hours. I hadn't felt this optimistic about talking to a girl like this in years.



The next day, I walked back into the Canterlot Boutique, right at the time Rarity had asked me to arrive. I felt a lot better than I had in ages. Part of that was the grooming session I had given myself for the second day in a row before leaving my own household. It was sad to say, but my personal hygiene had fallen by the wayside. At least in Canterlot, I was expected to come out of my room often enough that a daily shower was a necessity.

Still, it did wonders for me. When I looked into the mirror, and my red eyes looked back at me, I felt alive again. It made me want to go out and do something today, instead of just wasting more of my estimated lifespan of several centuries hiding out in my house.

“Oh, hello, Garnet,” Rarity said as I came in. Gaster stood next to her, though he had already transformed into Fluttershy. “Are you ready for today?”

“Ah, y-yes,” I said, my bravado already melting away. “Good morning Rarity, Gaster.”

“Ah-um, good morning,” said Gaster-as-Fluttershy, hiding behind her mane. He was absolutely nailing the performance. I had only seen Fluttershy from afar, but this was what I expected her to be like.

“Fluttershy, this is Prince Garnet Graphite,” Rarity said, introducing me. “Garnet, this is Fluttershy, one of my dearest friends, and of course you will know her as one of my fellow former Element Bearers too.”

“It’s g-good to meet you, Fluttershy,” I said, willing the words out before my tongue could betray me and stop forming legible words.

“It’s nice to meet you too, Prince,” said Fluttershy.

“Oh, just Garnet is fine. I’m only a Prince by fluke of birth. Prince is what Blueblood prefers to be called, but not me,” I said, finding myself a little more comfortable by the minute.

“I-it’s good to meet you too then, Garnet,” Fluttershy said, sounding unsure of herself.

Rarity spoke up. “Fluttershy dear, I was just fitting Garnet for a new outfit the other day when he mentioned seeing the Pony-tones recently.”

“You were good, both of you,” I praised, and I was being honest. Rarity had been good. She just hadn’t caught my attention as much as Fluttershy had.

“Oh. Um, thank you,” said Fluttershy.

Rarity rolled her eyes. If I had to guess, it was because if Fluttershy and I were left to ourselves, we might muster three or four words at a time each. That left Rarity to push the conversation along, and push it she did. “In any event, Fluttershy, Garnet is rather a lot like you. He’s quite shy. Though I know he has a few friends in town, he wants to try to get out and meet some more ponies.”

“Ah...Rarity, wh-what are you saying?” Fluttershy asked. The way Gaster was acting seemed a little off, but he nevertheless felt like a natural. This conversation seemed rather how I might expect it to go.

“Oh, nothing, Fluttershy. Just that I remember back in the day, when a new pegasus came to Ponyville, and how she was practically alone for most of a year before her fillyhood friend from Cloudsdale followed her to town. I loved my hometown, and when I saw this new filly who seemed shy and reclusive, I did what I could to get her engaged with the citizens of Ponyville,” Rarity said. “Similarly, I want Garnet to feel welcome as well, and want to help him meet and befriend new ponies.”

I felt like that was my cue. “Ah, um, Fl-Fluttershy, would you like to go out for dinner sometimes? I, um, heard you raise a lot of animals. I’ve been to Saddle Arabia and Maretonia before and visited some of the menageries they keep there. I’d love to talk about them.”

“Oh. Um,” Fluttershy looked around herself, backing up a step. She looked at Rarity, who merely flashed Fluttershy a smile whose meaning I couldn’t tell. Then Fluttershy looked back at me, resolution on her face. “Sure. Um, if you don’t mind, just let me check my schedule first.”

“Ah, right. Thanks. Um, I’m free, basically any night of the week,” I said, feeling a little ashamed that I had no hobbies or activities of my own that could at least keep me a little busy with other ponies. Well, at least I was able to make it through a full rehearsal with Gaster, for the first time.

“Splendid. I’m certain I can set something up for the two of you, or if you prefer not go to a restaurant, I can find a chef to cater for your dinner date,” Rarity said.

“D-date?” I mumbled, feeling a little faint. Sure, that was what I had asked Fluttershy out on, really, but saying the actual word out loud made a whole world of difference.

“Oh, by the way, Garnet, one other thing.”

“Um, y-yes?” I asked as I looked up at Rarity.

“That’s not Gaster.”

I looked at her. “Wh-what?”

Rarity tossed her mane behind her head, looking between me and Fluttershy. “That’s not Gaster, dear. That’s the real Fluttershy.”

It was like the ground had shifted between my hooves, as I felt woozy. In fact, I wish the ground had shifted. If the earth opened up underneath me, at least it could swallow me up and take me away from facing Fluttershy, not Gasper the changeling, the real Fluttershy, as the ramifications of what I had just done settled in.

“Wait, Rarity?!” Fluttershy gasped. “Is that why you asked me to go along with it if he thought I was Gaster?”

“Yes, Fluttershy, it is,” Rarity admitted. “I’m sorry I had to resort to a bit of trickery, but you know how you are. Garnet is just as bad, so I did something a little shameful, but it worked.”

Then the unicorn mare turned to face me. “Just think, Garnet! You did something that was out of your worst nightmares and managed to talk to a pretty mare!” Rarity exclaimed, before toning her voice down. “Was it really that bad?”

“Y-y-yes,” I said, as my eyes rolled into the back of my head and I fainted with a thud.