• Published 7th Feb 2017
  • 6,032 Views, 237 Comments

The Samurai Called Jack - MetalJrock

  • ...
16
 237
 6,032

V: Jack and the Forest Monster

“What are you?" Jack asked as he looked at the creature.

"You fell for the oldest trick in the book, stranger,” the monster told him, “Many have fallen to this trap and perished. And you shall be no different! I am known as a Target Plant! I test those who seek to be the best! When they fail, I eat them! And you will fail like all those before!"

"You have fooled my sense of justice, monster!" Jack grunted, holding his blade out in front of him. "Once I best you in combat, you will never harm another living creature again. You will also tell me how to reach Ponyville."

"Ha! A foolish set of terms for one who is about to lose!" the plant monster bragged, "Very well! Do your best, samurai!"

And so, Jack leaped in the air, sword in hand, ready for another fight.

He brought down his sword, hard enough to break apart the vine of the monster that had fooled him.

"You have made a mockery of honor, which you apparently lack." the samurai noted, his feet gently touching the grass.

“As if I care, fearless warrior. It is my duty to test those who cross this path in the first place." the monster roared.

The monster by then brought one of his branch arms down to Jack. But the man rolled out of the way to the left, leaning on the side of a tree and his hand on the ground, tightly gripping the sword’s hilt.

Jack frowned, “I do not care for your trial of combat. I only wish to pass and reach what I seek.”

The Target Plant smirked, “Many have said the same, but they did not last long before they met their fates. Only a warrior with a pure heart can dare to pass me in fighting.”

That surprised Jack. It felt like a trial he’d face back on his world.

He raised his sword up as he asked a simple question, “Why should it matter who crosses? It is not your place to fool the righteousness of those who will aid those in need no matter what.”

“Because what lies beyond this forest shall not be seen by any mortal eyes. I am just a guardian doing his job. Surely you understand. There were those who came for selfish purposes,” he defended, “Do you not agree in taking the life of those who had it coming?”

Jack growled, “I am a warrior with honor. I will not take the life of anyone who doesn’t deserve justice. It is not who I am.” he declared, standing his ground on the subject.

“Then your stubbornness will be your end!” the creature roared.

The Target Plant by then made thorns come out of his hands, aiming them downwards on to the samurai. A few thorns landed on Jack, making him flinch in pain. He looked to see his arm and saw a few thorns piercing into his skin. He pulled them out as fast as he could, seeing dots of red drip. Once he was clear, he faced the monster again.

“I am not here for merely myself. I wish to save my world from the wrath of a tyrant. He has exhausted all my options and I have only come here to seek a way back to my time period to assure victory in defeating him before his reign begins.” he revealed.

There was a moment of silence passed among the two. The ambience of the forest being the only source of sound around them. The samurai wondered how this guardian would react to his truthful words and remained still. But the guardian leaned down and said.

“If you are telling the truth, then you must prove your righteousness by beating me in a simple duel. If you are lying like those before you, then you will perish here. It is quite the simple ultimatum, samurai. Which will you take?” the guardian asked.

Jack held his blade to his side and decided to take the risk. He could not afford to stop here. Not when the answers he seeked were in Ponyville.

“I will challenge you, beast. But only because I wish to pass by and get answers. I will not falter to you.”

“Then let it be done, samurai.”

Jack grunted, driving his blade forward onto the vine leg of the creature, making it stagger in the air. The monster sent out more thorns and tossed them at the samurai. Jack flipped backwards, using his momentum to kick himself off a tree and using his sword to cut apart the tiny projectiles that were being tossed at him with precision.

The lone samurai gritted his teeth, feeling a stinging sensation in his legs once he landed with a frontflip. He saw a line of thorns directly on his legs, all lined up. He growled, taking each one out individually. Jack rolled to the side when one of the monster’s arm attempted to crush him.

He sliced the arm apart swiftly, seeing it fall to the ground with a powerful thud, creating a small tremor. Jack spun in the air, doing the same to the second arm in a matter of seconds. His sword created a loud sound as it collided with the plant, the samurai knowing it all too well from combat.

And Jack landed, seeing spear shaped wooden arrows coming directly from the guardian’s back. Jack held his sword horizontally, in front of his face, making sure to aim his counter slashes perfectly. The first came down and the man backed up swiftly with a hop, seeing it lodge itself onto the ground. A smile was seen on his lips.

The second came down at last and Jack swung his blade upward, cutting the projectile in half and having the two ends land at his sides in a symmetrical cut from the sides. He leaned to the left, dodging the next two spears coming for him adjacent to one another, and he ducked, seeing them pinned to a tree once he turned around.

The last was coming down upon the lone hero, but Jack saw it coming and used his sword to cut it into miniature pieces. He could hear the monster roar and grumble in annoyance, possibly from a lack of tactics to take him down considering how easy his last targets were.

Then, Jack found himself an opening and jumped on the branches of the trees around him, seeing a glowing spot on the monster. He drove his sword through it, shattering the apparent crystal and shrinking the monster to the size of a cat. A loud scream of pain was heard from it as its distorted voice changed back to a less exaggerated tone.

Jack looked down once he landed, seeing the altered guardian lying on his back and coughing. “Please… End me… I have taken the lives of m-many… I do not deserve mercy. You have won the trial.”

The samurai looked down in pity, “I have told you. I will not take the life of another like this. No matter what, the lives of those such as yourself, flesh and blood, shall be preserved.”

The creature managed a smile, “Y-You truly are a hero.”

Shaking his head, Jack balled his hand into a fist as he declared, “No, I cannot be called a hero until I save my world. I only do what I was trained to do. To protect others. Even if I were to lose my way, I will not stop helping those who are in need.”

A cough was heard, “Perfect. You may pass me, chosen samurai. Know that this is a shortcut to your desired location: Ponyville. In the cavern beyond me, you witness many things. All familiar to you. It shall be an experience. Now, I shall repay my debt to you…” he said, standing up, “For succeeding in my trial, I will no longer kill. You have shown me mercy. It is fair that I do the same for others.” he announced.

Jack politely bowed, “Thank you, guardian of the forest. Now I must be on my way.”

The guardian smiled, “Good luck, warrior. For you will need it in your quest.”

The samurai needed those words, wandering deeper into the forest. With another battle done, it was time to reach his next stop in reaching Ponyville and ask Princess Twilight for assistance.