• Published 7th Feb 2017
  • 6,032 Views, 237 Comments

The Samurai Called Jack - MetalJrock

  • ...
16
 237
 6,032

II: Jack and the New World

The samurai's eyes snapped open. Jack found himself lying in grass and sat upwards. He rubbed his head and looked at the scenery around him. What he saw before him was a clean forest, full of life. For a moment, he thought the previous events to be a dream. But, recalling everything that happened, he looked in his bag, finding the very orb he used. Jack now knew for sure that it was all real and that he was in another world.

Back on his world, Jack had wandered around forests before, but there was very little life and there was always something wrong at every corner. Yet he always found them somewhat clean. It was a surprise really. But Jack remembered why he was here and so he stood on his feet.

It was like a routine for him at this point, always walking until he found a town to rest in until continuing his quest. Jack began walking, the grass crunching beneath his sandals. He saw a bunny hopping out of a bush and shuddering at the sight of him. Kneeling down, Jack put his hand out. The bunny inched closer and once it was in his reach, he began to pet it, a smile seen on his face.

The bunny then hopped away from Jack, not of fear though, but of relief and contempt. After the bunny disappeared, Jack stood up again.

‘It is quite nice,’ he thought, ‘So far, no sign of Aku's minions or corrupted animals.'

The samurai sighed when realization set in, 'I have left my world. But I cannot turn back now. Not when I have a chance to return to the past at last. I pray Aku does not become aware of my absence and comes here somehow.'

He thought back to the temple guardian's earlier words, about how the people of this world can help him. Despite what the guardian told him, Jack thought it to be his own effort to return to his time and not to bring anyone else along on his quest. He did not want anyone to get caught in the crossfire between him and Aku.

Of course, he had made some allies along the way, such as the Scotsman, which he considers a loyal friend. But they only meet each other every so often and is a protector himself, so Jack cannot burden him by asking him to come. He remembered the many tribes he aided, who also helped him back, usually in mastering a skill needed to save them. Such as when he learned to 'jump good'.

While in his thoughts, Jack took in the scenery. The sun beamed in his face and the warm wind brought comfort in the weather. Birds were chirping and the solace of nature greeted him. Despite being in another world, Jack had to focus on his mission, no matter where he was at.

And so the samurai walked ahead. To parts unknown.


Time had passed, and Jack calmly walked through the forest in a slow pace. After exploring his own world for what felt like years, he's learned to have patience more than ever and has always wandered in this pace. The samurai inhaled, taking in the scent of nature, not tainted by Aku or by any other outside force or pollution.

The grass rustled under his sandals with each step he took, being the only sound heard besides the birds chirping. He softly smiled, looking at the life surrounding him. His hands remained by his sides, near his sheath just in case something goes awry. He didn't know how soon he would arrive at a town, but he knew that he had to be close.

Then, he saw something posted on a tree ahead of him. Some signs. Signs that must be giving directions to the nearest city. At his normal pace, he strolled over to have a closer look at the signs. The sign at the top said ‘The Town of Fillydelphia’. The sign at the bottom said ‘Five Miles Ahead’. This was good news for him.

‘At least now I know I’m getting close to a place to rest,’ he thought, ‘But why is it called Fillydelphia?’

Deciding he would find out once he got there, he continued onward.


After a mile of strolling, the lone samurai raised a hand onto his forehead, blocking out the bright sunlight seeping through the trees. He had no clue on the specific time, but that was something he decided to worry about once he finally arrived at the town.

But something else got the samurai's attention. Rumbling. He knew this to be a warning. A warning that something was about to go wrong. His hand slowly reached for the handle of his blade.

Another rumble from the ground was heard and felt. His eyes narrowed with each rumble, which seemed to get louder and closer.

Animals ran past him in fright, hopping, running, and flying away. Jack knew that whatever was coming, it was coming in his direction. And so, the samurai revealed his sword. He aimed his blade right in front of him, ready for a fight. Then, the source of the noise revealed itself.

A strange wooden creature towered in front of him. It had vines for arms and a wooden body, head, and legs shaped like a wolf. Jack brought his head up to better face the monster.

"Excuse me, but I ask that you turn away now. I do not wish to use lethal force against a creature such as yourself."

His plead fell on deaf ears. The monster lowered its head and roared directly in his face. Then a gag, revealing the fur of that of a rabbit. Jack scowled, seeing a vine arm fall right in his direction. The samurai hopped backwards, avoiding the plant-like limb aiming for him. He inhaled, then exhaled sharply, dodging another vine arm trying to crush him.

"Very well, vile creature." Jack declared, "You shall not harm another living creature today."

Without a moment to spare, Samurai Jack leaped into the air, sword held over his head and teeth gritting. He swung the blade downwards, striking at the arms, cutting them in one slice. The vines he tore apart fell to the ground, but the samurai wasn't expecting vines to appear and lash out to him from the creature's back. The plants came in Jack's direction as he landed on the ground.

He swung his sword in many directions, deflecting each vine the best he could. Eventually, they started to out maneuver his speed and tangle up his legs, hanging him upside-down instantly. He felt himself being brought upwards and found himself face-to-face with the strange creature once more, who roared.

Spit and drool flew past the samurai, narrowly avoiding his being. The man groaned in disgust at the sight. He realized his arms were still free somewhat and swung his arm down, cutting a few vines that covered his right leg, freeing it and allowing himself a kick as he cut his other leg free at last.

He dropped back onto the ground, seeing the cut vines coming for him. Jack gritted his teeth, focusing his efforts in stopping the vines from grabbing him again. He slashed upwards, downwards, horizontally. Each plant limb fell apart with each slice.

With the vines gone for the moment, Jack leaped once again, driving his sword into the leg of the creature, slicing the knee so that it collapsed under its weight. The monster began to fall down and used its other leg to get its bearings. Another roar was heard, this one of slight pain from the attack.

Its head hung in shame. That was when Jack revealed himself again, sword pointed outward.

“Leave. Before you give me no choice." he ordered.

The monster whimpered and limped away from Jack, the samurai double checking to make sure it doesn't harm another creature as it left his line of sight. He knew that it won't do anything wrong with its arms cut like that.

His sword edged the sheath before he pushed it back in swiftly again, another battle finished.

The samurai sat down for only a moment, reaching into his travel bag. He opened the bottle of water and took a quick sip. He thought about the small fight he had with the creature. The samurai now knew there were hostile creatures here as well, meaning that he had to remain alert at all times, in case another creature like the one he saw came by to cause trouble. He knew they were only living by nature, which is why he spared it, despite probably having no qualms of it back on his world. He refused to take another life on this world until he learned more of how it is.

With those thoughts aside, the samurai stood up, and kept going.


Completing his five mile trek, Jack saw a small town ahead, and shielded his eyes from the sun to focus better. From where he was at, he could see neon colored horses, which surprised him.

‘I can see why it must be called Fillydelphia.’ he thought.

As curious as he was though, he decided that he will get answers once he arrives there.

The sun had begin to set as he neared it, time seemingly passing from the fight. Good. This meant that there would be less to notice him if his earlier observation was correct.

Author's Note:

Please forgive the shorter chapter length. This is mainly set-up and will probably be like this for a few more.