• Published 6th Jul 2012
  • 6,603 Views, 307 Comments

Legacy of the Pegasi - secret89



An ancient pegasi myth has returned. It will take three special pegasi to turn back the storm.

  • ...
8
 307
 6,603

Ch. 10: The Unguarded and the Unaware

Legacy of the Pegasi:

Ch. 10: The Unguarded and the Unaware

Scootaloo landed roughly on the cobblestone road near the entrance to Ponyville, grimacing slightly. Though she didn't want to admit it, her aerial exhibition only minutes before had taken a toll on her body. Ignoring the growing soreness that was steadily gnawing around the base of her wings, the copper mare steadied herself upright. There would be time to recover later. Instead she trotted with a purposeful gait into Ponyville.

Most of the town had recovered from the previous day's calamities; no longer was the town square littered with the produce and merchandise of the village's vendors. The same could not be said of the river, Scootaloo noted, as she crossed the bridge into town. Large puddles still collected upon the stone crossing, while the banks of the river remained slightly flooded.

Crossing into the town square, Scootaloo peered about. All worry seemed to have disappeared from the villagers; in fact very much the opposite was now in place. Vendors of all kinds kept their stalls open, some selling food, while others touted various Wonderbolt merchandise. There was a barely contained excitement in the air, like pressure building in a tea kettle. Families of ponies milled about, young fillies and colts running about in Wonderbolt costumes, imitating their favorite stunt pegasi. Still other, older mares and stallions conversed excitedly amongst each other about the upcoming show, cider in hoof. It was almost as if the memory of a light blue pegasus tearing through the little village hadn't even occurred; an afterthought in light of the growing festivities.

Scootaloo smirked to herself as she weaved through the crowd. Ponyville and its villagers were only a simple group of farmers and country folk, but they were some of the most resilient and forgiving ponies in Equestria. Recent years had more than proved it.

The copper mare quickened her pace slightly, glancing toward the rapidly descending sun. She would have to hurry if she wanted meet up with Rainbow Dash and the rest of the Wonderbolts for the evening's festivities. Though nothing had been explicitly announced in light of the short notice Wonderbolt show, Scootaloo was willing to bet that a certain pink earth pony had been more than prepared. And if the growing crowd within the square was any indication, it would be quite a party indeed.

She was about halfway across the crowded town center, when an unfamiliar sight tugged at the corner of her vision. Turning quickly, she zeroed in on two ponies walking near the edge of the crowd. Hold on a sec, who are these two?

Being the close knit community that it was, it wasn't hard to make out newcomers to Ponyville. Travelers were not infrequent to the village; often journeying to sample the legendary Apple Family Cider, or to seek out one of the Elements of Harmony that had made the quaint village famous. However, the pair before her hardly seemed like the typical visitors.

Suddenly intrigued, Scootaloo positioned herself to get a better look, feigning interest in a poster. Both wore a simple black cloak that covered their bodies; hoods drawn back as the two moved pointedly away from the crowd. Upon closer inspection, the newcomers appeared to be pegasi, as the copper mare noted the slight bulge from within the pairs' cloaks. The elder of the two, a light gray pegasus, carried himself with a stoic and practiced gait, never once deterring from his path. His brown companion trotted in tow, glancing about in apparent disinterest. With the exception of their curious apparel, the two pegasi might have appeared unremarkable, were it not for the fact that they seemed to be purposefully avoiding the crowd. Even so, the sight of two impassive pegasi was hardly a reason to be suspicious.

Yet, Scootaloo couldn't ignore the growing unease within her as she continued to scrutinize the two. Something about them felt off, as if their neutral expressions were too purposeful, trying too hard to disguise some ulterior motive.

Deciding to side with the uneasy feeling in her gut, Scootaloo took to the air quickly, silently landing on a building nearby the two suspicious pegasi. The duo continued to move, staying along the sparse edges of the Ponyville's central plaza. Scootaloo shadowed the two stealthily from above, taking care to mask the sound of her hooves clacking on the rooftops. Eyes glued to her targets, she strained her ears forward, hoping to catch some kind of clue from below. But not a word passed between the two; only exchanging knowing glances and the occasional cautionary glimpse toward the unsuspecting crowd.

The two finally stepped near the opposite end of the terrace, siding up along one of Ponyville's many establishments. Landing a second later upon her targets' apparent destination, Scootaloo peered over the edge of the rooftop. The two appeared to conversing silently, much to the sly filly's excitement. Unfortunately, the commotion from the growing crowd masked the two pegasi's words.

Cursing silently, Scootaloo momentarily abandoned all covert pretenses, hoping the din of organizing ponies would grant her a level playing field. Wasting no time, she made a single, powerful flap of her wings, vaulting sideways and sliding downward into the adjacent alleyway. Wincing against her sore wings, the copper mare quietly bolted for the corner. Once more daring a peek, Scootaloo inched her head around the corner.

Thankfully, the two had not left. The brown pegasi had his back to her, obscuring his partner. Scootaloo frowned slightly. She had hoped to catch a glimpse one of the stallions' faces.

Despite their care to keep the conversation private, Scootaloo was able to eavesdrop on the two.

“Why here? I thought you mentioned something about the Everfree Forest?”

“I did. It will eventually be our ultimate destination. But there are preparations to be made. This will be our meeting place.”

Excitement whirled through Scootaloo like a tornado, but she remained still, all of her focus in straining to absorb the shady conversation.

“Meeting place? But then that means there-"

“Yes. There are others. Now quickly, inside. We've lingered too long in the open.”

She should have left right then. But the urge to gather more rooted Scootaloo to the spot. So much and so little had vaguely passed between these two mysterious pegasi. To leave now without even a glimpse of a face would feel like a failed mission.

The brown stallion entered the building, the opened door obscuring his face.

Panicking slightly at the lost opportunity, Scootaloo nearly jumped forward. But an uneasy pinprick in the back of her mind compelled her to delay just a second longer. She was fortunate to have listened.

Instead of following his brown companion inside, the gray stallion paused, stepping just forward from the doorway. Scootaloo's eyes narrowed as she took in the pegasus in detail. Sharp features marked his face, with narrow and calculating steely colored eyes scanning area about. His icy complexion set Scootaloo on edge, the uneasy feeling from before slowly crawling up her spine.

A glint from the stallion's collar blinked into Scootaloo's eyes. Her focused narrowed. For a split second she glimpsed at a simple pendant clasp, polished to a jet black sheen. And then the raging torrent hit her.

Pain like she had never felt before tore through her mind. A tiny gasp escaped her lips as she willed herself to be silent, dropping around the corner, her eyes clenched shut. The pendant burned itself into her mind, thrust forward like a super heated sword. It spawned a raging sea of lightning that burned away at her consciousness, threatening to overwhelm the frozen mare. Fear pounced upon her as she drowned in her helplessness.

Then in the span of a second, the pain ceased. The quaky and uneasy tingle surged forth in her mind, a small and fragmented contingent charging forward into the pendant.

The sudden thud of a door silenced all. Scootaloo's eyes shot open as she let out a rattled wheeze. Beads of sweat rolled past her brow. For a time she remained slumped against the brick building, breathing in shallow pants. Her heart pounded against her chest, pumping adrenaline that urged her to run, but the shaky mare resisted. Don't freak out, don't freak out, don't freak out... Scootaloo pleaded with herself, struggling against the fright that still hung over her. Gradually she regained herself, focus coming to her eyes.

W-What just happened? Scootaloo dared to question, the rise and fall of her chest slowing with more controlled breaths. Never before had she suffered such an attack. It was like a nightmare brought to life; assaulting the refuge of her mind. Twilight had told her stories of forbidden magic that could inflict such pain, powers not used since ancient, darker times. But these aren't unicorns, and pegasi can't do magic. Unless... The pendant came to the forefront of the teenager's mind, causing her to wince slightly. Legends spoke of powerful amulets that granted terrible powers, but they were just that, legends. Had she just been on the receiving end of such a weapon? Could pegasi even use such powers?

What in the hay is going on?

Scootaloo's questions went unanswered. Instead she was left with a lingering fear.

The pegasus involuntarily shuddered.

Slowly she rose to her hooves, teetering slightly. A splitting headache assaulted her cranium, shadowy visages of the black pendant still floating in her mind. She had not forgotten her target, but now moved with greater trepidation. She gingerly approached the corner.

A mixture of relief and disappointment struck Scootaloo as she surveyed the empty spot where her quarry had been moments before. She briefly considered following into the building, but quickly dismissed the idea, glancing at the sign above her.

The large green sign hung from a wrought iron fixture, golden letters etched in the painted oak.

The Trough and Cider

It would be foolish to go any further. An underage mare walking into a bar in the middle of the day would not go unnoticed and Scootaloo doubted that she would be able remain hidden in such close quarters. And though she didn't want to admit it, it was a convenient excuse to avoid going any further, her mind still raw from the mental storm.

I gotta tell Rainbow and Soarin' about this. And they're going to hear about it, one way or another.

The teenager stared at the doorway as soft orange-yellow rays slowly settled on the mare's face. Scootaloo turned towards the glint on the horizon. Tracking the two pegasi had taken more time than she had realized, the hazy glow on the horizon slowly receding.

Scootaloo let out another rattled breath, trying to ignore the lingering quivers in her hooves. Mom and Dad are probably wondering where I'm at. With a final wary glance at the doorway, the copper mare made her way down the road.


Night had fallen by the time Scootaloo rounded the corner onto the street where her home was. The streetlamps alongside the cobblestone road magically flickered to life, hastening the speed in the mare's trot, hearkening back to the rule of her juvenile years. “Wow. I am really late,” the mare commented to herself flatly. Now almost at a gallop, Scootaloo squinted against the oncoming darkness. Though she couldn't see her home yet, the familiarity of her neighborhood told her she was only a few blocks away. Seconds later the teenaged mare skidded through the wooden gate and onto the stony path to the front door.

Okay, lets make this short and sweet. Get in, check in, get out. Then get back and meet up with RD and the Wonderbolts. Flawless. Scootaloo thought to herself, grinning as she opened the front door.

The copper mare strode into her home.

An earth pony mare stood in the kitchen, cleaning up from the night's evening meal. Midnight Blossom's coat was several shades lighter than Scootaloo's own, almost more of a tan color than copper. However, nopony would mistake where the teenager had inherited her mane from. A violet flower rested on her flank, which complimented her work at Ponyville's local flower nursery.

In the next room over, Scootaloo's father Swift Jet sat reading, spectacles on his muzzle. His coat was an even dark grey, paired with a short charcoal black mane. One of the more senior stallions within the region's weather squadron, Scootaloo's father headed the severe weather team, which was responsible for reigning in the violent Everfree storms that plagued the area. A pair of crossed lightning bolts set against a tornado adorned his flank.

“Hey Mom! Hey Dad!” Scootaloo greeted her parents quickly, darting between the kitchen and the living room respectively. “Checking in. Heading to the Wonderbolt party. Talk to you later! Okbye!”

“Hold on there little filly.” Scootaloo's mother spoke up, freezing the escaping teenager on the spot. “Come here. I haven't seen you all day.”

Scootaloo sighed, shuffling her hooves exaggeratedly. “Okay. You saw me. Can I go now?”

“Scootaloo.” Came her fathers voice, clearly not amused with her sass.

The copper mare flinched slightly.

Her mother was equally unimpressed. “Scootaloo, you're past your curfew.”

She had hoped to avoid this conversation. Again. “Yeah, I know...”

“If you know then why are you late?”

“I'm sorry Mom! I guess... I guess I just lost track of time. There was so much awesome stuff going on today with Rainbow Dash and the Wonderbolts, and some... other stuff... that I just got sidetracked.” The younger mare looked up earnestly at her mother. She really did feel bad about being late. “I tried getting back here as fast as I could when I saw how late it was. Guess I just wasn't fast enough.”

Her mother's features softened. “So that's what you were up to all day. Well I'm glad you had a good time, but please remember to be back before sundown. That's all your father and I ask, just to check in with us.”

Scootaloo brightened up, sensing an opening that she could still salvage her evening with Rainbow and the Wonderbolts. “So... can I still go to the Wonderbolt festival?”

“Sure you can.” Scootaloo's father walked into the kitchen, winking at his wife.

Scootaloo didn't question Swift Jet's sudden change of demeanor, as she looked hopefully toward her mother.

Midnight Blossom shot an annoyed glance at her husband, before finally relenting. “Well I can see I'm on the losing end here. Yes you can go. Far be it from me to deny you the chance to hang out with Ms. Rainbow Dash.”

A massive smile burst onto the young mare's face. “Thanks Mom! Thanks Dad!” She made a dash for the door. “I promise I'll be back home at a good time!”

“Hold up there Scootaloo.”

The copper mare nearly tripped over her hooves. And the second horseshoe drops.

“What's the hurry kiddo?” Scootaloo's father asked lightly, clearly amused by his daughter’s frustration.

However, the copper mare seemed to take no notice. Time was wasting, and she really did need to get to the festival. Rainbow Dash and Soarin' needed to know about the cloaked travelers.

“The festival is starting soon Dad! I gotta get going or I'll miss meeting up with Rainbow and the Wonderbolts!”

“Don't worry Scootaloo, we'll be there soon enough.” The stallion sauntered back into the living room, searching about. “Now where did I put my saddlebags?”

Scootaloo deadpanned. “What.”

Her father poked his head out from the adjacent room, grinning madly. “What? Can't I enjoy the Wonderbolt festival too? Besides, I was into the Wonderbolts back when I was a little colt.”

Scootaloo couldn't help but smile awkwardly at her father. It wasn't often that she saw him excited; his coltish eagerness was infectious, even if she was sure that he was partially trying to embarrass her.

Scootaloo rolled her eyes. “Yeah, yeah I know, you've told me a thousand times. Guess they even had the Wonderbolts back in the stone ages.” She shot a mischievous glare at her father.

“Hey!” The stallion seemed genuinely offended. “I'm not that old.”

"Swift, do you really think you should be going?” She looked worriedly at her husband. “You've had a pretty rough day.”

“Oh, don't worry about that, I'm feeling much better now.” The stallion replied, downplaying Midnight Blossom's fears.

Scootaloo took a moment to take a good look at her father. His eyes seemed somewhat bloodshot, complimented by bags underneath. His mane was somewhat disheveled from what seemed like a strained and difficult day. Were it not for the silly grin on his face, Scootaloo would have guessed that her father was tired from a great deal of stress.

“What's Mom talking about Dad?”

“Like I said it's nothing. Just had a little headache earlier in the day, some trouble sleeping.” Swift Jet remarked casually. “Work's been a little heavier than usual. Nothing I can't handle.”

“Hardly!” Scootaloo's mother shot a glare at stallion. “You've been dealing with that migraine for several days now, don't even try to deny it! And I know for a fact that it has nothing to do with work; I've never seen you like this before.”

Swift Jet groaned. “Blossom I'll be fine. There are other pegasi in town who are under the weather as well; its just a small bug going around. And I'm not about to let this get in the way of having some fun with Scoots.”

The elder mare sighed. “Oh, alright. But please be careful.” The mare regarded her daughter with concern. “Keep an eye on your father.”

Scootaloo nodded, but her mind was elsewhere. Some kind of sickness in Ponyville that only affected pegasi? She had never heard of such a thing.

Swift Jet rolled his eyes. “Good. We've gotten that out of the way. And I found my saddlebags.” The stallion turned to his daughter, just a hint of excitement in his eyes. “Ready to go Scooty?”

The copper pegasus stared daggers at her father. “If you call me that while we're at the festival, I won't even know you. So don't say it.” She started for the door when another thought struck her. “And especially not around Rainbow Dash.”

Swift Jet strode aside of her chuckling, rustling her mane roughly with his wing. “No promises Scoots, embarrassing you is kinda in the Dad job description.”

“Hmph.” Scootaloo huffed. “Com'on lets just go.”

Saying their goodbyes to Midnight Blossom, the two pegasi made for the center of Ponyville.

Author's Note:

And here's chapter 10. The big one-oh. Unfortunately it's not a massive chapter, nor does it coincide with the year anniversary of this story, nor was it actually posted when I said it would be. But nevertheless, here it is. I guess you could call this more of a bridge chapter. It's small, but entirely necessary, especially since I've finally revealed Scootaloo's parents (it took absurdly long just to come up with their names. Who knew creating pony names would be so difficult?), and our two shadowy pegasi are still on the move. While I think the ending was a bit abrupt, it will allow me to dedicate an entire chapter to the next scene, which believe me, its going to need it.

As always I welcome any and all comments, critiques, opinions or thoughts (or even verbal mobs assaulting me for my tardy chapters!).

Thanks for reading. Until next chapter.

-secret89