• Published 5th Jul 2012
  • 4,708 Views, 96 Comments

Doctor Whooves: The First and the Last - MaxKodan



Rainbow Dash receives a very curious letter that just won't leave her alone.

  • ...
6
 96
 4,708

Everything and Everywhere

Doctor Whooves: The First and the Last
Chapter 4:
Everywhere and Everything
Max Kodan

“Six. Five.”

“Doctor!” Dash cried, her head whipping wildly around.

“Four.”

She could fly away faster than they could shoot, but there was no way she could carry the Doctor with her. Her breath began to quicken. She wondered if she could surprise them.

“Three.”

“Think, stupid, think!” She cursed herself under her breath. She needed to wake the Doctor up, but how? Her legs were shaking so hard they were growing weak. How could not even think of a way out of this? She was Rainbow Dash! Brash, bold, heroic, awesome...

And a little rude.

“Two.”

There was only one thing to try. Might as well, right? “Doctor...would you please wake up?”

“One.”

She shut her eyes, preparing for the worst. Instead, she heard one of the most unexpectedly relieving sounds that had ever graced her ears. A yawn. She cracked one eye open. The countdown had stopped, and the Doctor had his mouth wide open in a huge, wonderful, glorious yawn.

“Aah, there we go. Did someone ask me to wake up? I was having a wonderful dream. Something about coconuts. No! Wait, not coconuts, fabric softener. Or was it coconut scented fabric softener?” He pondered for a moment. Every eye in the small clearing, real or not, was trained on him expectantly. “Er, sorry. Right, you wanted to know if I’d join you and give you my TARDIS in exchange for my life?” His face fell from a smile to a deep frown. “Sorry, but no deal. I don’t work with people who make threats. Especially against my friends.” He stretched his neck and lowered his shoulders. The happy-go-lucky pony that had been accompanying Dash this entire time was gone. In his place stood somepony else. Probably the first pony who the cyan speedster thought she would never want to get on the wrong side of.

“Then you will. Be. Destroyed.” The chorus of clicking repeated itself, and some sort of machinery could be heard warming up. The Doctor was stoic. He didn’t flinch for an instant while the danger grew.

“No, I don’t think I will. See, you brought us here, and that was your biggest mistake. You keep the relay in that ship, don’t you? Safest place in Equestria, isn’t it? Deadlocked, I can tell from here.” The whirring grew. Whatever they were preparing for, it was going to be big. “It’s a good thing I have no intention of opening the door.” He took a deep breath in. A loud click stopped the whirring, and a second of silence enveloped them.

Dash dove to the ground and covered her face instinctively. She ventured a peek, and she saw everything happen. First, all 12 of the Autons had unleashed an enormous bout of flame. Immediately after, the Doctor fired back. She felt the explosion ripple through her very being. A stream of golden energy, the same stuff that had escaped him when he regenerated, erupted from his mouth. The shockwave took the form of a sphere around them, coating the area in a dull, golden glow. The flames were stopped a mere hoof’s length from the Autons, and the tongues of fire folded around the sphere, dissipating into the sky. The jet of energy from the doctors mouth blazed through the Auton who had been addressing them and lanced into the door of the vessel. Inside, Dash could hear explosions and popping sounds as the electronics were fried. Finally, the roof of the craft exploded in sparks and flame. Again, the danger was deflected by the protective sphere around them.

A good 5 seconds after the destruction of the ship, the golden energy slowed and eventually stopped. The Doctor stood boldly for a few moments, but then as the glow in his eyes faded away he fell to his knees. He gasped for breath, but soon calmed down. He sat himself down and put a hoof over his chest as he panted.

Rainbow Dash slowly stood up, looking around at the area. The Autons had fallen over, inert. The one who was between the two of them and the ship was half melted, the upper part of its body completely gone. The forest was a bit singed, but there was no lasting damage, and only a few small fires in areas surrounded by charred earth, meaning it wouldn’t spread.

“What...just happened? What was that?” She turned her eyes to the Doctor, respectively giving him a few seconds to respond.

“Breakfast. Most important meal of the day.” He said between breaths. “Especially eggs. High in protein. Gives you lots of energy. And when you’ve got a bunch of regeneration energy stuck in your stomach, the energy you get from food loosens it up. Like drinking water when you’ve got phlegm in your throat. Loosen it up and you can get it out of there. I just chose to get it out in that direction.” He nodded towards the remains of the ship. “By the way, never noticed before, but regeneration energy tastes like coconuts if there’s enough of it. Wonder if that means something.” He grinned at her.

“You’re insane, you know that? Completely and totally insane.” Dash laughed. She hadn’t laughed at all that day. It felt different than her normal laugh. It felt better.

“That’s what they tell me. I’m starting to believe them.” He joined in on the laugh. It did feel good. Something, however, was different about his laugh. Something restrained.

“Hey, come on. Let’s head home.” She chuckled. “And on the way back, why don’t you actually explain some of the stuff you’ve been talking about. Cause most of it flew right over my head. And THAT is an accomplishment. I can fly pretty high.” She posed proudly.

“What? Name me one thing today that isn’t completely and totally clear!” He turned and began retracing their steps, and Dash fell right in behind him.

“Regeneration. TARDIS. Nestle whatever. Time Travel...” She began, trying to keep a mental tally of what she’d already said. She was just getting started. The Doctor, however, cut across her.

“Oh! That’s how they did it!” He called as he ran off the path towards a piece of smouldering machinery that lay some distance away. She grumbled and floated after him.

“Hahah! Of course, it was obvious!” He grinned as he poured over the chunk of metal, which to Dash was hardly recognizable from an oven. “The Chameleon Arc made me invisible to anything trying to search for aliens, Time Lords, time travellers, anything like that. But! When you travel between dimensions, like I did, you travel through the Void. And when you travel through the Void, you get stuck with Void stuff. So they weren’t searching for a Time Lord like me, they just had to look for Void Stuff. And hello! I’m covered in it.” He turned his grin up to her, but let it drop when he saw that she was more exasperated than anything.

She stared at him. “10. Seconds. Flat.” She raised an eyebrow at him.

“Excuse me?”

“It took you 10 seconds to say all that. In that 10 seconds, you brought up a total of 6 things. SIX things that I have no idea about!”

“What? Oh, come on. What could possibly be so hard to-”

“In order!” She interrupted. “Chameleon Arc, Aliens, Time Lords, Travelling between dimensions, The Void, and Void Stuff.”

“...Ok, perhaps I DO owe you a bit of an explanation.” He pondered. “Right, then, let’s get started, shall we? Where do you want to begin?”

-----

“And THAT is why the greatest force of evil ever to plague the Niverterian Cluster was defeated by the color lavender.” The Doctor finished his “explanation” as he called it just as they arrived back at his house. “So, I think that sums up the big ones. Any other questions?”

Rainbow Dash lagged behind. She slowly approached him, her head throbbing. She really didn’t think she could take any more. “I...” She stopped. There was something else that he hadn’t brought up at all. “Yeah, your TARDIS. I know it’s your time machine at all, not that I believe you. But what IS it? You didn’t say much about it, just that it was your ship.” She raised her eyes reluctantly to him. He was hiding something from her, but she couldn’t tell what. Or why.

“Well, I’m glad you asked! I have something I want to look into, so why don’t you come with me and see for yourself?” He smiled kindly. She returned the smile. He’d been nothing if not a friend. Ok, if not a friend he’d been an incredibly annoying nuisance, but he’d been a friend anyway. He seemed really excited about showing her the TARDIS, so she agreed. He dashed off into the house and she perked up a little, following him. Closing the door behind her this time, she walked over to the side door where he was standing.

“Funny,” He said. “All that time as John Smith and I not once wondered why there was a Police Box in my basement.”

“A what?”

“Just come on. You’ll see.” He pulled the door open and descended into the basement. She followed, growing more and more curious. When she had her hooves firmly planted on the floor of the basement, she looked around. There was nothing there. Just a big, blue box with “Police Public Call Box” written on top of it.

“Oh, come on. You’re pulling my leg now. Where is it, huh? Is it invisible or something?” She scoffed, feeling around in the air for any kind of resistance.

“Nope, right here.” The Doctor walked up to the Police Box and smiled warmly at it, resting a hoof on its corner. “Hallo, old girl. Sorry to have left you for so long. I’ll make it all up to you, ok?” He patted it softly, then looked back at his tagalong. “So, you want to go inside?”

She sighed to herself. “Inside. That? Doctor, you couldn’t fit inside that thing alone unless you stood on your hind legs.” She shook her head. “Look, if you’re just trying to joke around with me, that’s fine, but at least make it funny!”

The Doctor simply smiled and opened the door, stepped inside, and closed it behind him.

“...Doctor?” She tilted her head, taking a step closer to the box. “You alright in there? Didn’t get stuck, didja?”

The box started making a strange noise. Like a grinding, whirirng sound that grew and faded. Dash blinked and stepped back again. The light atop the box was glowing in time with the noise, and before too long the air in the basement leapt into a rather strong wind. As she squinted, the box slowly, gradually vanished.

A dumbfounded pony was left behind, alone in the basement. “I-I-I...what? Doctor? Wh-where’d you go? Th-this isn’t funny!” She called to the empty room. “Hey, get back here you...” Her voice was drowned out by the return of the sound. The wind again kicked up, and the box reappeared. The air settled, and everything was quiet.

The door opened with a squeak, and the Doctor reemerged. He was holding something. With a little visual flair, he tossed the item to the stunned pegasus, who just barely managed to catch it. She looked down and read the packaging of the bag she was holding. “Apple Bites? But...what does this...”

“Well, I had to switch yours out for the bag with the notes, didn’t I? Which is a good thing, too. Those are about 2 weeks out of date. You could’ve gotten food poisoning, you know!” He smiled and leaned on the inner frame of the door, awaiting her response.

“Food poisoning? I almost choked on your stupid note!” The realization struck her. “You? It was YOU who left the notes!? All this time, and YOU...you...you...” A second realization hit. “...You’re really a time traveller! Ohmygosh, no way! That thing’s really a Time Machine? But, how did you...”

He smiled and stepped outside the box, leaving the door open and nodding to it. He leaned against the outside and waited as she tentatively stepped in. A rather smug smile crossed his lips as she cried out in her amazement from within the TARDIS. She flew out, buzzed a few quick circles around the box, and set herself down on wobbly legs in front of the door. “I-it’s...it’s bigger! It’s bigger inside! H-how...how does that...how is it even...”

“Possible? Oh, my dear Rainbow Dash, I think you’ll find lots of things are possible that you would have never imagined in your wildest dreams.” He looked her straight in the eye. “Wanna see?”

Dash’s heart skipped a beat. “What do you mean? See what?”

“Everything. There’s a whole universe that I’ve never seen. And I’m willing to bet you haven’t seen most of it either. So...” He paused and smiled at her, his eyes lighting up a little bit. “Everything. Let’s go see everything.”

“But, what about my friends? Won’t they know I’m missing?” Dash asked. The huge grin plastered across her face and the fact that she was bouncing just a little in place was her way of showing that she really hoped he’d find a way around it.

“Time Machine! I’ll have you back before we leave.” He laughed aloud, pushing off the frame of the box to stand up straight and then bowing slightly, indicating the TARDIS doors.

-----

Ten minutes later, the TARDIS control room was still a new sight to Dash. In fact, it was a new sight to the Doctor as well. The last one had taken a fair bit of damage from the Nestene attack, and now everything looked slightly...cleaner. Simpler. And a lot more blue. The control panel was just as mad as it had been for the longest time, though. That was how he preferred it. The old boring one with the buttons that did exactly what they were labeled didn’t suit him. He preferred to start his engines by completing a simple maze with a control lever and open his doors with pressure valve.

As Dash admired the sights, her eyes fell upon a screen that stuck out of the central console. A large message flashed across it. Scan Results: Negative.

“What were you scanning for?” She asked, walking up to the screen. He looked up and quickly moved over, flicking a switch, changing the screen to an idle background.

“Oh, nothing. Just some mathy equations and measurements. Nothing you’d be interested in.” He danced around the console. It seemed to be made for his new pony form. The buttons were bigger, the console was a bit lower, and everything seemed to be within reach.

Dash quirked an eye at the Doctor’s strange behavior over the screen, but let it pass. After all, he was apparently in a new universe and everything, and every moment she started to believe him more and more. He probably had a lot of scanny type things to do, and they would likely be rather boring. She imagined Twilight trying to explain the significance of the number of petals on a flower to her. She turned around and flew to the perimeter of the room. “Doctor, this thing is amazing. You said it was built by the Time Lords, right?” She found herself a nice chair and flopped down into it. Comfy seating, too. When she received the affirmative from the Doctor, she smiled. “I’d like to meet them some day. Maybe show ‘em a thing or two about flying in style. I mean, a police box? Come on! I got a few ideas that’d spice up time travel a bit!”

The Doctor stopped running around the console, his back facing her. “Sorry, but that...that would be impossible.” He pulled a lever down and the TARDIS shuddered a bit. The console began making the same noise it had when it had taken off before. Dash looked up at him.

“Because we’re in another dimension, right? Sorry, I probably shouldn’t have brought it up.” She frowned.

“No, it’s not that. I mean, it’s not just that. It’s...I’m it. I’m the last one. The last of the Time Lords.” He looked down at the now blank screen and muttered under his breath. “And now, the first as well.”

She looked at him and sat up. “Oh, I’m...I’m sorry. What was that last part? I didn’t-”

“Nothing! Hey, where do you want to go first? The Past? The future? Or maybe a different planet entirely? Bet we can find some wild inhabited ones!” He again began rushing around the console, pushing buttons, turning knobs, stepping on pedals, flipping switches. Dash began to wonder whether he actually had any idea what he was doing.

“I dunno, you decide. This is your thing, isn’t it?” She grinned. “Besides, knowing you, wherever we end up’ll be a blast.”

“Oh, Rainbow Dash, Rainbow Dash, Rainbow Dash. You have absolutely no idea!” He grinned down at his new companion and yanked another lever. “Of we go, then! Destination Everywhere!”

Comments ( 31 )

It's done and posted! After some last minute edits, I think I'm finally happy with the last chapter. Honestly, in the future I'll likely go and edit the first couple of chapters to get rid of the stupidity I stumbled into a few times, and to fix a few issues that happened from rushing through. Specifically chapter one. I don't like how it reads, and I'll probably edit it heavily later to make it stand up to the later chapters in quality.

Other than that, this is the end of my first Doctor Whooves story! I'm thinking of titling my own series, like DWaA or DW:A, but I have no idea what to call it and I have no intention of stressing over it. Like I said, the next story is in the works, and it's probably going to be a LOT longer and a lot more spread out. Look forward to it =P. When I do finish it and post the first chapter, I'll tag both it and this story in a post and put up a link to read it before it gets officially accepted, so anyone who has watched me or favorited this story can get the first looks. Hope you like the finale! Lookin' forward to some wild adventures flying through time and space with all of you! :rainbowwild:

DEL

THEY SHOULD FOALSIT A FILLY LUNA AND CELESTIA!!!!!

876429 As a whovian, I know that when a TARDIS screen says "test results: anything", Shits gonna go down son.

Your Timelordian friend, The Baron

Oh, and ALLONS-Y!!!

877019

Well, there's no mystery behind it. I've already basically revealed to you what he was scanning for. The question is whether he's scanning for the right thing, and whether the results are right or not...

877164 Damnit, don't spoil it for me! I want to be surprised. And how? she doesn't have a husband

879446

I have no idea what you're talking about. Well, I do, but you're on the entirely wrong track.

879487 Well, now you've done it. You've got me guessing, now I guess you are gonna have to develop the multi-episode plot line that's going to BLOW. MY. MIND. Just like all of the Doctor Who overarching story lines.

Your Timelordian friend, The Baron

THIS IS AMAZING MOAR PLEASE

This was a surprising amount of goofy fun. I had never encountered a cliffhanger centering around a main character being narcoleptic before. :rainbowlaugh: I look forward to seeing where you go with it next.

Sucks about those scan results, though.

881492 886883
Yeah, what can I say? If I were him, that's the first thing I'd scan for in his current situation.

885516
Hadn't thought about it that way, but yeah, kinda XD

880517 884872
Alright, alright, calm your hooves and horns. It's coming pretty soon, but the chapters are gonna be further apart. At least my biggest fans get the first look, right? =P.

Well, that is those who are actually awake to see it get the first first look. I'm sure it'll be a while before it gets through. I know how busy these poor ponies who accept the stories can be...So patience is most definitely the least they deserve ^.^

this...is magical...
simply magical...
from the writing itself, to the dialogue.
to having RD in it. if only there was some twidash shipping,.... but i really enjoy this, its by far high on my list of fave fanfics at the moment..

887927

For the record, I'm not shipping. Unless something happens naturally in the story's flow as it escapes my head, I'm trying to stay away from romance. I'm sure it'd net me a bunch more fans, but it'd alienate the ones I have and bog down the story and make no sense. I'm content to have some goofy, dangerous adventures without resorting to random shipping pulls :pinkiesmile:

But I'm glad you like the story anyway!

886969 Wait, did I miss something? WHAT WAS HE SCANNING AND WHAT FOR?!

904925

It's really clear, if you read a little bit into things. You're just missing it, that's all.

905127 Well, yeah. And I don't have the time to search through the story to find out what he is scanning for. Can you just post what he was scanning for on my page?

906820
5th to last paragraph of chapter 4. Think about it.

906846 Gah! I read it, but how is he the first and the last? Is she one too? Is there another? Did the society escape to this dimension? I think too much into these things don't I?

906865
He's the first time lord in this dimension. It means there are no others. And he was scanning for traces of Time Lords or TARDISes. Guess the results.

907318 oooooohh. ok. Quick stupid question, what is filly fooling?

And did you follow me?

907694

Filly Fooling: Fooling with Fillies. Lesbianism for ponies.

I haven't followed you. Actually, the only person I'm watching is Squeak =P I should probably fix that, but not tonight. It's writin' time!

908476 Oooh, I'm excited already. And now I wish I had never asked, and slightly afraid because that was a question from comic con about RD. Some people make me sick.

Good story, I like a good Doctor Whooves story ^^ hope you'll write more.

Yay a Doctor Whooves story with Rainbow Dash yes i have been looking for one!

“Doctor, this thing is amazing. You said it was built by the Time Lords, right?”
What the Doctor should of said: Not made, grown.

“Doctor, this thing is amazing. You said it was built by the Time Lords, right?”

GROWN not made :flutterrage:

“Because we’re in another dimension, right? Sorry, I probably shouldn’t have brought it up.” She frowned.

“No, it’s not that. I mean, it’s not just that. It’s...I’m it. I’m the last one. The last of the Time Lords.”

Different world, different rules, mate! Not necessarily! Unless that was what he was scanning for...

Oh wow. I love this. The characters are written perfectly, and I was grinning like an idiot the whole time while I was reading this. Now, on to the sequel! ALLONS-Y! :rainbowkiss:

Login or register to comment