• Published 6th Jul 2012
  • 14,316 Views, 875 Comments

Cutie Mark Catastrophes - Wintergreen Diaries



Cutie Mark Crusaders find their marks and look to new horizons; taming colts for themselves.

  • ...
16
 875
 14,316

Winding Down

Chapter 3: Winding Down

Of all the boneheaded, ill-planned, all around ridiculous things Rumble had seen Pipsqueak do, attempting to engage the largest pony in Ponyville in single combat, who happens to also be his newest friend’s father, had to be pretty close to the top of the list. There was a line between good, clean fun and waking a sleeping giant, and Pipsqueak may as well have smacked an Ursa Minor in front of its mother. Pipsqueak, however, wasn’t visibly fazed in the slightest, and held his head high as he trotted through town with Rumble, humming his own theme to himself and generally paying little attention to reality.

“Do you ever worry?” Rumble started, breaking the silence and grabbing Pipsqueak’s attention.

“Well, of course I do! Why, should I be?”

“I don’t know, do you ever want to see Scootaloo again?” Pipsqueak stopped, giving Rumble the “you silly deckswab, grow some brains” look. It was a look he knew well, and normally only received when trying to taint the captain’s brain with lucidity, rational reasoning, or worse: common sense.

“What kind of a question is that? She was loads of fun to hang out with until she ran away. I still don’t understand that,” Pipsqueak mused, holding a hoof thoughtfully to his chin. Considering he was still clad in a bandana and eyepatch, it didn’t really do much for his contemplation, nor his appearance as a scholar.

“Listen, Pip. I don’t know how much you remember of your little confrontation with...”

“Boss battle! You don’t call fighting something of that size a ‘little confrontation.’ That’s like... like... calling you a little clumsy!” Rumble sighed, reminded of the gaping hole he had left in Applebloom’s tree fort. It had been gnawing on him the way she told him it was all right after having just yelled at him for it. Regardless, the Captain’s needs were far more pressing than his own, and thus he attempted to be as clear as possible approaching Pipsqueak.

“All right, Captain. Look, Scootaloo’s dad looked really angry. I think you should go apologize tomorrow, because if he wants, he could say you can’t hang out with Scootaloo. That’s all I was trying to say.” His somber tone seemed to reach through the antics and into the heart of the young pony, a heart filled with an adventurous spirit and a lack of proper teaching. Rumble knew it wasn’t really his fault, and he sat down in the road next to him and slung a hoof across his shoulders as Pipsqueak took an honest look at things.

“I hadn’t even thought about it like that,” he admitted, pulling off his bandana and eyepatch in one movement. “I just wanted to make sure Scootaloo was ok. I fancy being a pirate, but that doesn’t mean I don’t care about anypony. But then he came over, all big and scary like, and... I just reacted.” Rumbled reached over and placed the bandana back on his head, patting it a few times before giving him a light shove.

“Come on, it’s not proper for the Captain to get all emotional in front of his crew,” Rumble said with a grin, nodding as his fearless cohort donned his patch. “Just... try to be at least a little more polite next time you’re over there? Seriously, drawing a sword isn’t the best way to introduce yourself... unless it’s to a zombie pony!”

“Zombie ponies, ye say?” Pipsqueak cried, leaping upright and glancing all around, the fires of fun stoked within. “All hooves t’ battlestations! This is gonna be rough!” Drawing his trusty blade, Pipsqueak charged through the town, cutting a swathe through imaginary foes as Rumble joined in, their reckless stampede leading them into the outskirts where Rumble armed himself with a twig. Claiming an “infection,” they turned to sparring, in which one hopelessly outmatched Rumble provided ample entertainment to lead his friend’s mind from his blunder. The afternoon grew late as Rumble ran out of twigs in the immediate vicinity with which to defend himself, and they flopped down in the tall grass, staring up at the sky as late afternoon pushed towards sunset.

“This Captain thanks ye fer the adventure, first mate Rumble,” Pipsqueak chuckled, his dialect overplayed but his words serious.

“All in the line of duty, Captain,” Rumble replied coolly, pounding hooves before drifting off into thought. I wonder what Applebloom is up to right now? I wish we could have hung out more. I mean, I doubt she’d have wanted to, after I broke her fort, but maybe she would have. What would we do? I don’t really know much about the farm. Pipsqueak watched with curiosity as a faint, almost imperceptible blush rose to his friend’s cheeks, and he grew a roguish grin, took a shot in the dark, and nailed his mark dead center.

“Yer cheeks ‘re tellin’ tales for ye, first mate. I wager ye’ve got a bonny lass on yer mind?”

“I’m, uh... gonna head back to town.”

“Sayin’ nothin’ be better than denyin’ it, eh?”

“This from the one who was rendered defenseless at the mere sight of Scootaloo dancing.” Pipsqueak would have offered a rebuttal, but he was too busy reliving the scene in his mind to trifle with such petty matters. “Oh, Captain, you’ve got it bad...”

“Huh? What’s that mutiny yer spouting now?”

“Nothing. See you later, Pipsqueak. I’m gonna head home.”

“Flee then, coward. The world will know how this day ye fled in the face of my superior... um...”

“Intellect?”

“Aye, that’ll do! Off with ye, then. I’m not ready to lay down me blade just yet,” he declared, standing upright and drawing his blade as the sun started to dip down below the horizon. He watched Rumble take flight after a short run to build speed, and he started to trot back towards town before stopping, staring curiously at a dark blue feather. It was a deep hue, like the night sky, and he instantly knew it meant good luck, and sheathed his blade, stuck it in his bandana, and began devising his next grand scheme, eager to squeeze every ounce of life from what daylight was left.

Out of the grass rose a pegasus stallion, his coat and partially maimed wings the same midnight azure like the feather. He watched the colt recede into the distance, chuckling softly once he knew that his target was well out of hearing range.

“Miss Grace, ye can be at ease. Aye, he’s a wild one, but there be a heart o’ gold in that colt.” He lifted his eyes to the sky, noting the shifting hue before starting back towards town. I’ll tail him the rest of the day, just like ye asked, Miss Grace, but ye’ve nothin’ t’ fear from that colt. Well, he may not help yer daughter become a lady, but I’m sure ye know there’re more important things in life.


Shrugging the weighty mantle of quietude and a facade of being a scholastic safe haven, the library served as a rather nice impromptu concert hall for one rising starlet and her number one fan. Twilight had assisted Sweetie Belle with her vocal warmups, largely by surrounding the filly with a sound proofing ward so Spike wouldn’t have anything to say about it, and Twilight found herself unconsciously bobbing her head to the music as Spike helped Sweetie Belle compose what she hoped to be her first hit single, playing the sheet music she had written on the piano, and adjusting as she made modifications. Things were going smoothly for about the first hour or so, but music became more sparse, and the intermissions consisting of frustrated sighs and agitated groans.

“No, no, that’s not quite right,” Sweetie Belle muttered, peering over Spike’s shoulder and scrutinizing the uncooperative notes. Levitating a pencil to her, she erased a segment, added a few notes, removed others, and stared blankly. “Uh, let’s try that, I guess. Start from right... here.”

“All right, you got it,” Spike answered easily, wriggling his fingers before tickling the ivory keys, arrogant though they were, thinking they could outshine the filly who took her singing stance and inhaled deeply. For as long as Spike had been out of practice, picking up the piano came back fairly naturally for him, and he let his claws do the work while he perked his ears, listening to the soft voice behind him as Sweetie Belle murmured the lyrics quietly to herself. He turned his head slightly to glance at his filly only to be interrupted by the discordant note that can only be caused by playing with one’s forehead. “That wasn’t it either, huh.”

“Writing music is like sewing, except more frustrating because I feel like I should be able to do it!”

“I don’t see a pen on your flank, so don’t be too hard on yourself, Sweetie Belle.”

“Oh, and you were looking?”

“Maybe,” Spike replied smugly, unwavering as she attempted to give him a sidelong glare before heaving a sigh and flopping onto her back. Living with a married couple had made the dragon quite aware of things that he really could have gone without knowing, and as a side effect, some tinge of suggestiveness had made its way into his humor and thinking, despite his best efforts. Sweetie Belle, however, could relate and took it in stride as Rarity, while not active, sure brought the subject up a fair amount. No solid line had been drawn, but oh, did Spike know when he crossed it.

I swear, our minds are way too old. While Spike was glad he hadn't accidentally upset her with his comment, it did little by way of elevating her mood, which was all he had been hoping for.

“Why don’t we take a break?" he suggested. "You can’t force the song to write itself, so let’s just relax for a bit.”

“Ugh, that sounds great. What I wouldn’t give for an hour at the spa. I could really use a good massage,” she replied with a groan, staring dreamily at the ceiling.

“I could try, if you’d like. It can’t be that hard.” Sweetie Belle rolled over and stared at Spike, the intensity of her gaze making him slightly nervous. I meant that as a joke, kind of. I mean, I would if she asked, but I expected her to flat out refuse. Is she really thinking about it?

“Sure, Spike.”

“Wait, really?!?”

“Yeah. In five years!” Spike rolled his eyes and swiveled back around, staring at the keys for no particular reason other than they weren’t Sweetie Belle and wouldn’t comment on the rising flush to his cheeks, one part embarrassment to two parts crushed dreams, muddled with a complementary dash of unmet expectations.

“Plenty of time for him to learn!” a voice from upstairs called down. “I have books on that, Spike! I’m sure you could become a master by then!”

“Thanks, Twilight, but I kind of feel like procrastinating right now!” Spike called back down, muttering to himself about the unfairness of life.

“Hey, come on,” Sweetie Belle urged, adopting an encouraging tone and sitting down beside him on the bench. “It’s not like I’d mind. I’m actually pretty curious about what it’d feel like with... claws.” Really curious. Ugh, it’s so lame being mature and young at the same time! “Next time I need a back scratch though, you’re the first one I’ll call.”

“Gee, how romantic,” he chuckled, nodding his understanding. “Dragons aren’t exactly known for their patience, so hurry and grow up already, ok?”

“What, so I’m not grown up enough for you? You’ve barely grown at all over the last few years, and you’re even older than me!” she laughed, shoving him playfully.

“If I can’t give you a massage, then I’ll just have to give you the next best thing.”

“A hoof rub?”

“Close,” Spike said smoothly, giving her a sly grin and cracking his fingers before coaxing a familiar melody from the ebony beast. Sweetie Belle closed her eyes, holding a hoof to her chest as she perfected what the original artist could only hope to sound like, or at least in Spike’s mind. Soon, his eyes closed as well, and they were lost for a few short minutes from all the frustrations and worries of life. She held the final note as Spike stroked the last key, and they sat in silence for a time before the young dragon turned to the filly beside him. “So, feel any... better?” he asked, trailing off as he was robbed of eloquence by the radiant smile of a shining starlet.

“Yeah, I feel a lot better, actually. Thanks, Spike,” she murmured, giving him a quick hug but breaking contact before she inflicted herself with burning cheek syndrome.

“I’m welcome?” Sweetie Belle tilted her head for a moment before remembering that she had seen him in such a condition before, though last time it had taken a drastic mane styling, courtesy of the resident mistress of all things beautiful and also her proud older sister, and she couldn’t resist but have a little fun with him.

“Way too easy, Spike,” she tittered, batting her eyelashes and flustering the hapless dragon further.

“I’m easy?”

“Wow, that’s quite an admittance.”

“No, wait, you’re easy!”

“You’re saying I’m what?!?”

“No, I mean... Gah!”

“Spike, I don’t care how tongue tied you are; telling a filly she’s easy isn’t very flattering, and is certainly not polite.”

“It isn’t? I mean, duh, of course it is! Is not! Wait, I meant...” While the piano didn’t move, Sweetie wondered if it would need tuning as Spike pulled a page from her book and promptly played a short, sweet tune that sounded a lot like, well, how applying one’s face to the keys with great force would sound. “I formally request you do... it... a do-over.”

Spike, you’re amazing. You always know how to make me smile. “Shhh, just take a deep breath and stop talking for a bit, ok?” He nodded once, rubbing his forehead while simultaneously giving his tongue a mental dressing down that would leave even the most grizzly, back alley hooligan from Manehatten with rosy cheeks. Choosing the apex of her most satisfying stretch, her stomach gave off a rather undignified rumble, jolting Spike back to normal.

“You should stick to singing with your mouth, Sweetie Belle. It comes out a lot better.” Her rebuttal was cut off as her gut was out sung by the gargantuan rumble of a growing dragon’s hunger, and they both stared for a moment before deciding that dinner may be in order. Adoptain an air of indignation, Sweetie held her head high as she abandoned the bench and made towards the kitchen with Spike following suit. Having been watching since the start of the song, Twilight descended and interceded as the two rifled through the fridge.

"Hey, you two hungry?"

“Hungry? Try famished!” Spike replied, his mind already conjuring meal ideas. “I bet I could beat Pinkie Pie in a cake eating contest, the way my stomach is rumbling,” he asserted, massaging his forsaken gut ruefully.

“Well, how about you two head down to the tavern and grab a bite to eat? Here, this should be plenty,” she encouraged, pulling out a small sack of bits and floating it over to Spike.

“This isn’t just another ploy to try and get us to kiss, is it?” Sweetie Belle asked skeptically, before another gurgle chipped away a large chunk of her misgivings. Twilight simply smiled sweetly and shook her head.

“No, I’m going to head back over to Sweet Apple Acres, so you won’t have to worry about any cameras. I just thought that it might be nice for you two to have a chance to just relax a little. Today wasn’t exactly easy, and I know I’m certainly not without fault in that, so consider this my apology. Spend some of it, spend all of it, it’s up to you. But Spike? Get the lady what she wants, all right?”

“Duh! What kind of pony do you think I am?”

“The scaled kind, but that’s just fine.” There was a lavender flash, and the two were left alone in the library.

“Come on, scaley, let’s get something to eat. Hmmm, I think I’ll have one of everything,” Sweetie Belle mused, throwing open the door and waiting while Spike caught up.

“I wonder if vocal chords can get fat... ouch, easy, I was kidding!” Spike exclaimed, rubbing his arm where a well placed hoof had made its mark. “Sheesh, you sure are grumpy.”

“Only when I’m hungry,” she defended, holding her head high.

“And sleepy, frustrated, moody, happy...” he teased, grinning as he was dealt another light blow. “And a point for me.”

“Hmph. I was feeling generous.”


Some ponies learn lessons quickly, requiring only a single mishap to make them aware of their error, and they are thus fortunate not to repeat their folly. Some ponies, on the other hoof, require many painful repetitions to solidify the necessity for change concretely enough to make a difference. Rumble, sadly, fell into the latter, and into the door, the ground, and pretty much everything else. He was eager to get back and glean a little wisdom from his brother pertaining to the proper course of action to make reparations with a certain little filly none-too-pleased with his callous rejection of the front door, and subsequent forming of one in the clubhouse roof, but enthusiasm is a wicked beast, striking whenever it feels so inclined.

“Hey, Rumble! Down here!” At the sound of Sweetie Belle’s voice, the little white pegasus waved back and dropped like a rock, and as he attempted to level out, he realized that his speed was too great and his angle of descent too steep. Spike shoved Sweetie out of the way only to have Rumble miss them both completely, tumbling a few times before sliding to a stop, covered in dust and laughing nervously. Standing upright, Rumble turned to find Sweetie Belle alternately chiding Spike for shoving her for no good reason and subsequently undermining her warnings with a coy smile, grateful for her hero’s quick actions, needless thought they were.

“Sorry about that, I have a hard time with landings, it seems...” Rumble offered, trotting over with a sheepish grin.

“Sorry? I’d be more worried about you hurting yourself, Rumble,” Spike replied, wondering how the colt wasn’t more scuffed up. “Does that happen often?”

“More often than I’d like to admit, actually.”

“Once a week?”

“Higher.”

“Twice? Thrice?”

“I think my record is... thirty-seven in a week?” Spike and Sweetie both shared a confounded look, wondering how the colt still managed to maintain an intelligence level greater than the average watermelon before sharing a good natured laugh with the colt who accepted his faults with honesty and a grin. Spike was fairly sure that, if the colt was really that accident prone in his flight, then he was the perfect colt for Applebloom, given that her mallet wouldn’t render him brain-dead as it might any other colt their age, though he said nothing of this, knowing Sweetie Belle would not approve. “So, what did you two need me for, anyways?”

“Nothing in particular. I just wanted to say hi,” Sweetie Belle explained, though an idea quickly followed. “Actually, Spike, do you mind if we invite him?”

“Well...” I don’t really want to say no. I mean, it’s not like I have anything against him, but I was really hoping to spend some more time just with Sweetie Belle. There’s just something... I dunno, magical, being alone with her. Sweetie’s voice came in soft, her muzzle close to his ear as she read his mind.

“Don’t worry, Spike. We can come together alone another time, ok?” Having no reason left to argue, and again slightly unsettled by her tone and the shiver that ran through his spines as her breath brushed against his cheek, Spike agreed without a further thought.

“Alright, it’s a date then. No, wait, not a ‘date’ date, just a, you know...”

“Spike, calm down,” Sweetie Belle chuckled, muffling him with a hoof and turning to Rumble who was patiently awaiting an explanation. “We were going to head to the tavern for dinner. You wanna come? We’ll pay.”

“I was going to head home and ask my brother about something, but he’s normally up pretty late, so sure. Thanks, Sweetie Belle. You too, Spike.”

“Hey, no worries. Come on, let’s hurry!” Had they stuck around just a little longer, they would have been able to take Pipsqueak along as well, but the unmistakable cries of neglected appetites could not be denied, and they made all haste to Starfall Tavern, home of all manner of good food and alchemical beverages that were as unconventional as they were tasty. They were midway through their meal when one more slid in alongside them.

“Hey, everypony! I didn’t expect to see you all here,” Ruby exclaimed, rushing over and plopping down next to Rumble, apparently not the slightest bit fazed by her close proximity to the colt who respectfully scooted a little farther away.

“Likewise! I thought you had to help your mom?” Spike replied, taking another bite of the spiciest curry they had available. Ruby simply pointed a hoof across the way where Berry Punch sat, sipping soda like wine and gazing wistfully at the bar in all its glory. “Not much you can do about that, huh?”

“Not a thing,” Ruby admitted, smiling ruefully. “It’ll just be another couple of days before she knows for sure or not if she’s pregnant, and then things will get better. Still... she’s doing really well, considering.”

“You really love your mom, don’t you, Ruby?” Rumble said cheerfully, taking a bite of spaghetti. “Just in the way you talk about her, it’s obvious.”

“For a long time, before she met Snowdrift, it was just my mother and me,” Ruby explained, nodding as she shot her mother a grateful glance. “Other ponies always thought she was a no good drunk, but she always put me first. No matter what anypony says, she’s a great pony, and the best mother I could hope for.”

“Family is really important to you, huh?”

“Family is first.”

“That’s right. Oh, what time is it? Shoot, I’ll be right back, everypony!” Rumble exclaimed, standing in a hurry. “My brother knows I hang out with Pipsqueak, but I really should let him know I’m here. Be back in a bit!” Ruby watched him go with newfound interest, and she gave a submissive smile as the expected teasing about the day’s hottest topic turned its sharpened fangs to her.

“Uh oh, is Applebloom gonna have competition?” Sweetie teased. “Better be careful of that one. She’s pretty vicious with her mallet.” Ruby wasn't entirely sure herself, and shrugged off the incendiary comment with a grin.

“I dunno. Maybe? He’s just a nice colt is all. Well spoken, cheerful... Makes you kinda wonder what his home life is like, you know?”


The answer, little did they know, was unconventional, socially unacceptable, and in some ponies’ eyes, downright contemptible. Attitudes like these were something Rumble had forced himself to shrug off, not that any insults directed at him were so much a bother, but the ones hurled at his older brother Thunderlane were one of the few things that truly made Rumble angry. All a pony had to do was simply observe his brother for just a few moments with his fillyfriends, Cloudchaser and Flitter, to know that there was more stability and love in that relationship than most, and they had fought tooth and hoof to make it work.

Thunderlane had a much more calm approach to the less understanding ponies, normally meeting disgust with a smile and horror with a grin, although on some of his more sour days he would alert neighsayers that they may or may not have a rather large object of thoroughly unpleasant physical qualities shoved much too far up their posterior to be thinking clearly. Cloudchaser was quite vocal when dealing with such ponies, while her timid sister Flitter usually made even the most callous, unaccepting pony wish themselves painful bodily harm by tearing up and clinging to Thunderlane.

Had Rumble not been in such a hurry and as excited as he was, he would have entered quietly and taken time to appreciate the tranquil evening setting before shattering it with his sudden entrance and subsequent slamming of the door. Thunderlane and Cloudchaser were having a rare moment of calm, whispering sweet words of a mushy consistency whiles Thunderlane held her close with one hoof, the other gently stroking Flitter’s mane as she dozed with her head in his lap. Everypony gave a start as Rumble came in and dashed over.

“Whoa, Rumble, easy! What’s got you so torqued, huh?” Cloudchaser chuckled, patting a space on the couch next to her which he eagerly occupied, only to be pulled into an affectionate embrace from the mare. “Fight any good battles today?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah, kind of. I fought some zombie ponies, raided a fortress and escaped with the treasure, and even saved Pipsqueak from becoming a pony pancake on the underside of the biggest stallion ever, whom he refers to as ‘The Gatekeeper.’”

“That’s all? Well, that’s boring,” Cloudchaser said in mock disinterest, heaving a yawn. “No gallivanting with timber wolves or wrestling with manticores?”

“Yeah, something was up with the Captain today. Seems he’s been cast under a fearful enchantment from a rather adept sorceress.” Cloudchaser had mostly adjusted to such banter, but the last bit sailed over her head, and Rumble could only smile as Thunderlane stepped in with the translation.

“Pipsqueak found himself a filly, and couldn’t focus, huh?”

“Uh huh!”

“Ugh, I shoulda got that one!” Cloudchaser groaned. “Wait, since when has Pipsqueak ever been able to focus? You’re messing with me, aren’t you?”

“Nuh uh! He’s even spacier than he was before!” Rumble felt two new hooves wrap around him, and he was temporarily sufficed as a stand in pillow for Flitter, who decided it was her turn lavishing hugs on her favorite little colt.

“That sounds really nice,” Flitter murmured, half-awake. “What about you? Did you meet anypony today?”

“Well, yeah! I made some new friends, and...”

“No, no, not like that, silly,” Flitter giggled, relinquishing control of Rumble back to Cloudchaser so she could see if he would blush. “I meant did you meet a filly to hold hooves with.”

“Actually, there was this cute filly there, and I... um...”

“Scored yourself a fillyfriend? Nice, bro! Highhoof!” exclaimed an elated Thunderlane. Having his train of thought so suddenly derailed by the subject shift, and the subsequent contemplation thereof, Thunderlane was left hanging and slowly withdrew his hoof, adopting a more sympathetic tone. “Had your first fight already, huh? That’s rough, bro. Hang in there.”Rumble leaned his head back with a sigh, glancing above him at Cloudchaser and then across at Flitter before reaching the conclusion he had many a time, which he stated promptly and with great confidence regarding the validity of his findings.

“I think you two fried his brain.”

“Well, of course we did! If a stallion is still thinking clearly by the end of the night, then a mare hasn’t done her job right,” Cloudchaser chortled, leering over at Thunderlane who pretended not to notice, looking elsewhere. “Come on, enough stalling. What’s her name?”

“Applebloom. She’s... brother? Why’re you looking at me like that?”

“Applebloom? You’re... bro? Respect,” he said solemnly, holding out his hoof and receiving a confounded pound from the colt who sat awaiting an explanation for such high praise. “You’re going to need every lesson you’ve learned to make it through the coming weeks in one piece.”

“Why, what’s so wrong with Applebloom?” Thunderlane caught the defensive undertone and smiled, proud that Rumble was embarking on such a laudable adventure.

“Well, I haven’t met the filly, but I hear that her sister can spot even the faintest hint of a lie, and along with her brother, she may have the two most protective siblings a colt could ever have the dread of facing. Treat her right, Rumble, or not even I can save you.”

“Ugh, she’s not my fillyfriend! We’re just friends! At least, I think...” While his hesitation was pertaining to their being friends at all, and not the fillyfriend issue, Thunderlane again proved his heart was in the right place, and his head flittering amongst the clouds.

“Well, what’re you waiting for, then?” Thunderlane laughed, giving him a playful shove. “You’ll never win her heart sitting here.” Cutting his losses, Rumble conceded that his path was set, and somehow, he was ok with that. Protective siblings meant they cared, and so did he, and with that in mind, he leapt from Cloudchaser’s lap and faced his brother.

“You’re right, Thunderlane. I’ll make sure I do my best, but for now, I’m going to hang out with some of my new friends at the tavern. A colt has to have time to plan for a surprise to be good, right?” With a proud nod from his brother, Rumble took flight and raced back towards the tavern and a dinner that was likely quite cold. If cold spaghetti was the price he had to pay to enjoy their company, then it was the best bargain around, and as he fancied the thought that maybe, just maybe, Applebloom had shown up while he was gone, he doubled his efforts and was soon racing back towards the hustle and bustle of the tavern.

I could always just apologize if I see her, but that seems so... I don’t know, not enough? I mean, I interrupted her when she was with her friends and busted stuff. "Sorry" isn’t going to fix her roof. Wait, Sweetie Belle and them are her friends, so I’’ll bet they’ll have great ideas on how to make her happy again! Yes, maybe I... shoot, there’s the tavern! Plummeting to the ground below as he nearly passed over the building, he realized shortly thereafter, with the wind rushing past and the door of the tavern growing larger at an alarming rate, that it would have been slightly more prudent to simply turn around rather than attempt to correct. He closed his eyes and braced for a little pain to accompany a grand entrance.