• Published 3rd Feb 2017
  • 2,660 Views, 189 Comments

Totally Random! - Justice3442



A bunch of short stories of random ideas that come to me.

  • ...
11
 189
 2,660

Also See: Problems for Girls, Last Name 'Sue', First Name 'Mary'

Author's Note:

An only ‘slightly hyperbolic’ tale for the ages.

Starlight Glimmer wandered into the quiet study area with a concerned look on her face, her eyes seeking Twilight Sparkle, who, as per her character, was lounging on a couch and quietly reading a book. “Uh, hey Twilight,” Starlight began.

“Uh-huh?” Twilight said without looking up.

Starlight smiled slightly. It had taken her a while to recognize this behavior from Twilight as the alicorn simply being lost in the book instead of being rude. The fact Starlight elected any sort of response was actually remarkable.

Starlight gave Twilight a sheepish smile and rubbed the back of her head. “I, erm, I have a problem… It’s kinda a friendship problem.”

“Of course, Starlight,” Twilight replied as she looked through the page she was on and floated a bit of ribbon into the book before closing it and gently set in on the table in front of her. “I’d be happy to help.”

Starlight grinned, her cheeks turning slightly pink as she sat down in a chair in front of Twilight. “It’s just… Well… You’re a super powerful magic user.”

Twilight giggled. “So ponies say…”

Starlight smiled and rolled her eyes. “Said the alicorn.”

Twilight smirked. “Guessing I can relate to this problem?”

Starlight’s smile dropped. “Well… I guess I kind of hope so… It’s just... just…”

“Go ahead, Starlight.”

“It’s just… How do you get ponies to stop accusing you of being a nearly all-powerful problem solver who gets accused of being ‘too perfect’?”

Twilight smiled and nodded. “I haven’t done anything all that useful for well over a year!” Twilight answered happily.

“… What?”

Twilight nodded. “Yep! See, the trick is to let other ponies do all the actual work while you just sort of stand around and occasionally nag them or fret about how you’re concerned they can’t do a task without your help! It gives everypony the illusion that you’ve done something! Oh, be sure to really play up your quirks! See, in my case, I have my OCD nature usually characterized by lots and lots of lists. I just occasionally break out a giant scroll or some flash cards and everyone assumes I’m on point! So, we should figure out something unique about you on days where everypony expects you to do something, but you’re really not feeling up to it.”

Starlight stared at Twilight, eyes wide and mouth hanging agape. “… Wow.”

Twilight just nodded. “Yep! Easy, right?”

“Uh… sure?” Starlight thought for a moment before she furrowed her brow in annoyance. “Wait… a year? I’ve been at the castle for about ‘well over a year’.”

“Huh,” Twilight said as she floated her book back in front of her face and opened it. “Imagine that…”

Starlight scowled at Twilight as the room went silent. Only the occasional sound of paper fluttering as Twilight turned the page filled the room. After a few pages turned, Starlight simply let out an irritated groan, got off her chair, and began to walk out of the room. “I’m going to fly a kite,” she announced.

“Oh, that’s good!” Twilight replied as she moved her book slightly to look at Starlight and extend a forehoof. “Use that!”