• Published 2nd Feb 2017
  • 3,033 Views, 226 Comments

Saved from Stoning - twilightsparkle3562



Princess Celestia saves a pony from Rainbow Falls from stoning by her fellow townsfolk and gives her sanctuary in Canterlot. While investigating the matter further, she discovers of laws made without her approval.

  • ...
26
 226
 3,033

"Opening Arguments"

The start of the trial was filled with tension and a silence so deep, that a pin being dropped and hitting the ground could be heard. Blackheart, Red Flames and Sergeant Enforcer were led into the courtroom while being greeted with hard stares and disapproving glances. However, they all didn't pay attention and felt as if they were going to come out of this. From their thrones used during trials, both Celestia and Luna watched with disgust at their enemies.

"They are so full of themselves, big sister," remarked Luna, bitterly. "Thinking that they will just get off so easily."

"I can assure that they won't," retorted Celestia, quietly. "I was such a fool to believe that they would be the ones to lead Rainbow Falls in a fair and just manner. I've been taken advantage of many times before, Luna. But, that all ends now!"

As Celestia spoke, Blackheart looked over towards the princesses and gave them a very cocky smile. Neither one of them were impressed and said nothing.

"I can see what you mean, big sister," whispered Luna as she watched Blackheart turn away from the princesses. "Look at him. He is no worse off than any of the enemies we have faced over the years."

All Celestia could do was nod in reply as the trial was called into session.

"The tribunal is now in session," called the bailiff as Judge Hangman's Noose and his fellow judges walked up to the bench. "God bless Equestria and this honorable tribunal."

Once the judges were seated, so was all in the courtroom. Jack McColt stood next to the princesses looking over his notes one last time before he was to deliver the opening arguments. The middle aged stallion couldn't help but feel more than a little nervous. After all, these were ponies that were charged with crimes that were considered unthinkable in the eyes of Equestria and feared deep down of the consequences he could face from the princesses or even the ponies in the gallery if he couldn't secure three convictions.

"The prosecution may now begin its opening address," said Judge Hangman's Noose as he banged his gavel to start day 2 of the trial.

"Slow and easy, Jack," said Celestia, quietly as Jack approached the podium. "The fate of these three evil ponies rest in your hands."

Taking a deep breath, Jack closed his eyes and pulled himself together before addressing the court.

"When we elect or choose our leaders," he began. "Much like they have for us, we have expectations for them to lead with a firm, but fair hoof. These defendants that sit in the dock today, were nothing what anypony was expecting out of them. When you are a leader of a town like Rainbow Falls, you are to lead your town or city in accordance to the laws that our beloved sovereigns expect you to follow. The defendants had every single bit of intention to lead Rainbow Falls under their own twisted leadership."

As Jack spoke those words, Blackheart's eyes crossed in disappointment and fury. In his mind as well as those of his comrades, Jack was just trying to convince the court that what he did was against the law: not Celestia's law, not Luna's law, his law.

"1,000 years ago, King Sombra ruled the Crystal Empire with a similar intention," continued Jack. "And as a result, thousands upon thousands of ponies were forced to live under horrendous and unforgiveable conditions, while Sombra enjoyed the luxury of being a leader. But, Sombra became of those leaders who ruled the Crystal Empire with an iron fist. It was either his way or else you are put to death for it. The prosecution has evidence that believes that the defendants were planning to follow the laws of Sombra and not the laws of the princesses."

Celestia and Luna nodded silently at one another in agreement that what Blackheart was trying to do was to follow the laws of Sombra and not them.

"Therefore," he said, pausing to catch his breath as well as to gather his energy before turning over to the three defendants and thundering at them. "The prosecution is calling them to account…for murder…brutalities…torture…atrocities. They share because of Sombra's influence responsibility for the most malignant, the most calculated, the most devastating crimes in recent Equestrian memory!"

The thundering voice of Jack McColt, rocked the courtroom leaving the entire courtroom feeling stunned and shocked. Many of the citizens of Rainbow Falls who were in the gallery, couldn't believe what they were hearing and yet, it was satisfying to them.

"And they are perhaps more guilty than some of the others," said Jack, turning back away towards the three judges. "Because they sentenced their citizens to death for petty crimes such as stealing or wanting to leave a troubled marriage."

When he said those words, Red Flames growled silently in fury and anger. In his mind, he refused to believe that Green Sleeves and him were in a troubled marriage.

"What you will see during this trial," finished Jack, looking towards the judges. "Is evidence that will condemn these defendants to be punished according to the fullest extent of the law. The prosecution has nothing more."

Exhausted, Jack stepped away from the podium and bowed to the princesses before returning to his seat.

"Herr Horsebein will now make the opening statement for the defense," said Judge Hangman's Noose as Hans got up to present his opening arguments.

As he got up, Hans turned around to look back at his clients, with Blackheart raising an eyebrow as if to say that he was going to be punished if they lost this trial. From his seat, Jack watched as the nervous defense attorney from Germaney faced the judges. He knew that Hans didn't want to be a part of this, but he had no other choice. These were his clients and he had a job to do.

"Your honors," began Hans, taking a deep breath. "I stand before you today to defend three ponies whom are among the greatest leaders in Equestria. They have been nothing short of accused of crimes that they believe were not to be called crimes. They have done nothing wrong and some of these ponies needed to be punished. Mayor Blackheart is a pony who led with a firm, but gentle hoof."

Blackheart smiled in a cocky smile upon being told this. Red Flames also followed suit, however Sergeant Enforcer did not.

"They have followed the laws of Celestia and Luna," continued Hans. "Had they not done so, then they would have been removed from their posts long ago. The recent events concerning my client, Red Flames, was in fact, justified. His wife, Green Sleeves, had broken the laws of being a loyal wife to my client. She needed to be punished, but the cry my client for her to be killed was only said out of pure anger and rage."

Hearing this made Celestia feel very cross and angry at the same time. In fact, part of her wanted to go over to the defense and teach Hans a lesson for even defending these ponies who didn't even need to be protected at all.

"The laws of Blackheart were to enforce, not to kill," finished Hans. "The defendants have been accused of crimes that they claim were never part of to begin with. This trial will explain that my clients were in fact doing their job of running Rainbow Falls according to the laws of our monarchs and not by their own abuse of power. The defense has nothing more."

Exhausted, Hans returned to his seat while both the judges and the princesses were sitting in complete and utter disbelief.

"Tribunal will adjourn until tomorrow morning," said Judge Hangman's Noose, banging the gavel to end the trial's second day. However, upon leaving the courtroom, both Celestia and Luna were completed dumbfounded at Hans' opening address.

"He just doesn't understand," remarked Luna in disbelief. "He just doesn't understand what he is doing, big sister. Did you ever see a defender look so uncomfortable? It makes you wonder if the young colt would be punished by Blackheart if the trial went in our favor."

"Of course, he understands," replied Celestia, bitterly. "But, from what we are seeing, Herr Horsebein is a pony who is being puppeted by Blackheart into doing the defense. However, there is nothing we can do but wait until the verdict comes out."

And Celestia was right, they could do nothing but wait until the verdict would come out at the end of this trial…