• Published 2nd Feb 2017
  • 3,046 Views, 226 Comments

Saved from Stoning - twilightsparkle3562



Princess Celestia saves a pony from Rainbow Falls from stoning by her fellow townsfolk and gives her sanctuary in Canterlot. While investigating the matter further, she discovers of laws made without her approval.

  • ...
26
 226
 3,046

"Arraigning the Defendants"

Celestia was exhausted and tired when she rose the sun the next morning. So much had happened in such a short period of time that it was almost unimaginable to comprehend. Nevertheless, a trial was about to take place that involved corrupted political ponies who had reigned terror on a small town called Rainbow Falls.

"All right, listen up!" barked a guard as he and a team of guardsponies walked into the dungeons, waking Blackheart and his captured comrades. "You are all to be arraigned this morning on the charges that are against you. Any attempt to escape will result in immediate death, is that understood?"

"Why don't you just kill us now?" muttered Sergeant Enforcer. "This trial is nothing more than a sham to make us look like fools."

The guards ignored the remark and instead motioned for his comrades to bring the defendants out. However, only Blackheart, Red Flames and Sergeant Enforcer were taken out of the cells.

"You three are to have your trial in Canterlot," said the lead guard, pointing towards them. "The rest of you will be taken back to Rainbow Falls and a specially appointed tribunal will deal with the rest of you."

"Why do you send them back?" asked Blackheart. "Aren't they going to stand on trial with us?"

"No," whispered the guard, leaning towards Blackheart. "For security purposes, you and these two are going to be tried in front of the princesses. In fact, you are all celebrities…in the wrong sense of the word. Take them to the courtroom!"

Shackling the three ponies together, the guards led Blackheart, Red Flames and Sergeant Enforcer like a chain gang up to the courtroom. As they were being led out of the dungeons, Hans Horsebein was waiting for his clients up at the top of the stairs. The defender of Blackheart had a look on his face that seemed as if he had every reason to believe that he was not going to win this trial for his clients.

"Don't look like that, Herr Horsebein," reassured Blackheart. "We will win this trial like all the other times."

"If only that were possible," thought Hans as he watched his three shackled clients being led into the courtroom. Taking in a deep breath, Hans walked into the courtroom where ponies from all of Equestria were gathered.

Some were from Ponyville, some were from the Crystal Empire, but most were from Rainbow Falls. The ponies from Rainbow Falls were filled with anger and disbelief that these three ponies once terrorized their town for their own benefit.

Meanwhile, Celestia walked down to the courtroom along with Luna and met up with Jack McColt.

"Everypony seems very…tense, this morning," he said, bowing to the princesses. "You could almost cut it with a knife."

"There is no reason to believe that tensions are high," added Luna, as Jack got back up to his feet. "Blackheart will do just about anything to get off something as this."

"He won't get off easily, Luna," said Celestia, looking over towards her younger sister. "None of them will. This is why we will only prosecute Blackheart, Red Flames and Sergeant Enforcer. Not because of the fact that we are trying to create discrimination, but because of security purposes and the fact that we are trying to not let them get any ideas on escaping."

Jack took in what the princesses had said and agreed with their statements. This was a trial that wasn't going to be easy to take on, but it needed to be done. However, despite the trial that was about to begin, there was something else that was plaguing the sisters.

"What about Green Sleeves?" asked Luna. "Should we let her testify? I mean, aren't we testifying against Blackheart?"

"I'm not sure, dear sister," answered Celestia, lowering her head in deep thought. "Green Sleeves has suffered enough at the hooves of Red Flames. Don't you agree, Jack?"

"Well," he said after considering the suggestion made by his superior. "The jury will want to hear her testimony. However, I will try and keep her limited to just one turn on the stand, unless she says otherwise."

The royal sisters nodded and followed Jack into the courtroom as the ponies in the gallery rose in respect to their monarchs. As they made their way to their thrones, the princesses looked at Blackheart and his two cronies with a disgusted look on their faces.

"The tribunal is now in session," cried a guardspony. "God bless Equestria and this honorable tribunal."

Once the princesses were seated, the gallery of ponies followed suit. Judge Hangman's Noose looked at the defendants and his two fellow judges as they looked down at the list of charges against the accused.

"The tribunal will now arraign the defendants," said Hangman's Noose. "The microphone will be placed in front of the defendant, Sergeant Enforcer."

With the microphone placed in front of Rainbow Falls' former chief of police, Sergeant Enforcer rose to his feet and faced the three judges with a crossed looked in front of his face.

"Sergeant Enforcer," said Hangman's Noose. "Are you represented by council before this tribunal?"

"I am represented," replied Sergeant Enforcer.

"How do you plead to the charges against you, guilty or not guilty?" asked Hangman's Noose.

"Not Guilty on all counts," answered the former police chief in a stern sounding voice as he sat down.

Now, the microphone was then placed in front of Red Flames, whose mind was filled with anger not just because of the fact that he was now on trial, but also because he was still furious that Princess Celestia had annulled his marriage to Green Sleeves.

"Red Flames," said Hangman's Noose, quietly. "Are you represented by council before this tribunal?"

Red Flames didn't answer right away and instead looked down at the floor. Both Celestia and Luna were taken aback by this behavior and sign of total disrespect.

"Red Flames," snapped Hangman's Noose, his eyes glaring at him. "You will answer the question! Are you represented by council before this tribunal?"

But, Red Flames didn't answer and instead nodded his head mentioning that he was in fact represented by council.

"And judging by your silence," remarked Hangman's Noose. "You are to plead not guilty on all counts, is that correct?"

Red Flames didn't say anything and sat down, his face still filled with anger. Now, the attention came to Blackheart himself as the microphone was passed onto him. Blackheart was even worse than Red Flames in terms of disrespect, for he didn't even stand up. As a result, the guardspony standing behind the accused had to force Blackheart to stand up.

"Blackheart, are you represented by council before this tribunal?" asked Hangman's Noose, his voice clearly showing impatience at the disrespect the defendants were displaying.

"He is represented by council," said Hans, not wanting to have the situation escalate any further. "And he wishes to plead Not Guilty on all counts against him!"

Hangman's Noose looked down at the papers in front of him and then motioned over to Jack for a response.

"How does the ponies stand?" he asked.

"The ponies request remand," answered Jack. "It's clear that the three defendants are a flight risk and a danger to Equestrian society. Furthermore, I request that they be placed in isolation cells throughout the trial as a precaution."

"So ordered," said Hangman's Noose. "The Defendants are to be remanded and isolated in cells to avoid any contact with each other as well as anypony seeking to break them out. Therefore, the Tribunal will recess until further notification."

Hangman's Noose banged the gavel and just like that, the arraignment was over. However, Celestia and Luna were both astounded by the disrespect that was displayed by the defendants and both of them could only wonder what was down the line.

"Well, that was interesting," said Jack as they left the courtroom. "Out of the three of them, only Sergeant Enforcer spoke directly to the judges. But, at least the request for remand was granted."

"Yes, but I think you should add another charge," replied Luna. "The charge of disrespect towards Equestrian Royalty."

"Sister, please!" cried Celestia. "It's too late now for that!"

"I agree with your sister," said Jack. "A charge of showing disrespect will only make us seem like fodder to the ponies of Equestria. Besides, we have more than enough evidence to put them away for life or even execution."

"No, executing them would be too easy," muttered Luna, still feeling very heated after being disrespected. "They need to be locked away in Tartarus with all our enemies. They need to suffer the same way they made their victims suffer!"

Celestia was worried and knew that Luna needed to calm down before her emotions would get the better of her.

Meanwhile, Princess Cadence and Green Sleeves returned to Ponyville hospital with the intention of seeing Irish Coffee, the pony that was badly injured by the same mob that had tried to kill Green Sleeves…

Author's Note:

Sorry for the short delay! I was on vacation in Marco Island, FL this past week and going forward, I will be updating one chapter a week. Thanks for your understanding!