• Published 2nd Feb 2017
  • 5,079 Views, 888 Comments

Prickle Berry Tries to Be Careful - David Silver



Prickle didn't ask to become so strong, but it just happened. Now, as a growing foal, she's mightier than many grown stallions. What's an earth-filly to do? She tries her best to move forward and not draw attention to her supernatural strength.

  • ...
13
 888
 5,079

PreviousChapters Next
15 - #1 Fan

The next day, after school had let out, Prickle went to fetch her things and spotted something new tucked in beside the container she held her lunch in. It was a card. A soft sweet scent came from it that only roused her curiosity higher. She flipped it open to reveal an invitation.

Dear Prickle Berry,

You are cordially invited to a meeting of like-minded admirers. Please come to the following address at your earliest convenience.

Signed,
An Admirer

Prickle tilted her head at the letter. The address pointed to the small well-to-do portion of town. What would she be wanted for... there... She dropped the letter. Was it Diamond, or Silver? Maybe both?

She crashed to her haunches.

"What's wrong?" asked Scootaloo as she trotted up beside Prickle. "It's time to go, or Miss Cheerilee'll get mad at us."

Ah ha! An out, sort of. "Scootaloo!"

"Yeah?"

"Can you come with me?" She snatched the letter off the ground in her teeth and held it up for Scootaloo to see.

Scootaloo blinked at it as she leaned in. "Huh, sure? Anything for a friend, right?"

Prickle felt relief surge through her. She wouldn't be going alone. Whatever was planned, it wouldn't be nearly as bad with a friend, and one who already knew her secret. "Let's go."

Scootaloo's wings buzzed on her back. "To adventure!"

Together, they made their way quickly across town to the address. Scootaloo recognized it easily. "Silver Spoon's place. Huh, never actually been inside before."

Prickle's ears fell. She didn't know how it would turn out, for the better or worse. "Thank you for being here." She walked up and pressed the button by the gate, just to have it swing open a moment later quietly.

"Guess we go in?" Scootaloo gestured inside, then began to walk easily. "Nice place."

Prickle rushed to catch up. "Y-yeah, I guess."

On reaching the door, it swung open as if by magic, but the source of the locomotion became clear quickly. Silver Spoon was standing there. "This way, please." Her eyes darted to Scootaloo, but didn't question her. With a spin, she walked away at a sedate pace. "I'm glad you could make it. This couldn't happen without you here."

None of those words made Prickle feel better, but she pressed on, taking comfort in the fact that she had Scootaloo at least to help. "What couldn't happen?" she dared to ask. "Oh, um... Scootaloo knows."

"Oh, I know," sang Silver Spoon. "If she didn't, she wouldn't be here." She arrived by a fancy double door and waved at it. "Please, enter."

Prickle glanced to Scootaloo who grinned and waved at the same doors. "Go on."

They were in it together?! She was alone... Prickle hung her head low a moment before she walked up to the door and took its handle in her mouth. With a little twist, she pulled it open to reveal a room full of ponies.

"Surprise," they yelled in concert.

Apple Bloom was there at the front, hooves spread wide. "Welcome to the first meeting of the Tiny Titan fanclub!"

Prickle blinked dumbly.

Rarity emerged from the crowd, floating over a repaired costume. "As promised, a mighty costume for a mighty hero." The crowd clopped and stomped with appreciation as she floated it over to Prickle. "One she rightly deserves."

Bon Bon stepped out, glancing around. "We, uh, have to talk later. Good job on that bugbear. Such a little filly like you, doing all that... It's remarkable."

"Remarkable nothing." Rainbow Dash landed in front of Prickle. "It was downright amazing, and she made my moves even more awesome!" She paused a moment, thinking of a synonym. "We were fantastic together." She threw a leg over Prickle and hugged her close. "You're welcome to monster bashing any time, little squirt."

Redheart gave a soft cough. "Which I hope will not result in another hospital visit, and if it does, you will stay put long enough to properly heal. We don't want you being hurt."

Silver Spoon bumped into Prickle, side to side. "We're all here to celebrate you, Prickle Berry, Tiny Titan. You're an amazing filly that's made our lives better."

Prickle made a sudden observation, looking at who was present and not. "Didn't bring Lyra?"

"She's not in the secret," promised Bon Bon. "I left her at home."

Sweetie Belle suddenly popped free of the crowd, hovering two cups, one of which she brought over to Prickle. "Try some, it's really nice."

Prickle accepted it with a trembling hoof. Were all those ponies that happy about her? Part of her struggled to accept the idea. "Silver Spoon, how did you know all these ponies knew who I was?"

Silver fluttered her lashes. "I have my ways, and a proper mare never reveals her secrets. Please, enjoy yourself. Today is your day." She approached and planted a smooch on Prickle's cheek. "My hero," she breathed on the paralyzed filly's cheek and walked away into the crowd.

So Prickle learned that she had fans, good fans. They were all happy to be there, and talk to her. Most of them seemed to care about her wellbeing, especially the more mature adults. Redheart tried to gently caution her away from superheroing, but let it drop in favor of advice and tips to keep safe. "I don't mind seeing you, Tiny Titan, but let's avoid doing it on a, shall we say it, professional level, too often."

As the party was winding down, Prickle was nibbling on some cake when the world suddenly darted away. She was in a small, cramped, dark place.

"Shh," hissed Bon Bon. "I wanted to talk to you privately." They were in a crowded closet, buried under jackets and other things. "I'm really sorry I wasn't there, for the bugbear. That was entirely my fault." Prickle opened her mouth to object but Bon Bon put a hoof over Prickle's snouts. "I know what you're going to say, save it. Starting Tomorrow we're doing weekly lessons. You come to the shop, as Tiny Titan, and I'll make you sweat." She moved to shove Prickle back into the main room.

Prickle was not a pony that could be shoved when she didn't want to be. She did not move an inch. "You have a secret identity, right?"

Bon Bon raised a brow. "Who said that?"

Prickle grinned lopsidedly. "Takes one to know one. Candy makers don't fight like that."

Bon Bon frowned. "You'll have to earn that. Show up tomorrow, and be ready to work."

Prickle reached up and hugged Bon Bon firmly. "Thank you. I will, promise."

Bon Bon's stern expression melted in the hug and she sighed. She put one leg around Prickle, returning the embrace. "Please, be careful."

Prickle slipped back into the room to come face-to-face with the host. Silver Spoon's tail was swaying behind her as she smiled. "Did you enjoy yourself, Tiny Titan?"

Prickle's ears fell a moment. "Are..."

Silver put her hoof to Prickle's lips, a habit of ponies that day it seemed. "Your secret is safe with me. You're my hero, and I mean that."

Prickle's eyes wandered. "Where's Diamond Tiara?"

Silver shrugged. "I told her my parents needed me to do boring housework. I don't have to tell her every little thing, now do I? This is our secret." She reached out with that same hoof to rest it on Prickle's chest, then brought it back to her own. "Maybe I can't ever say enough sorries, but I mean it. You are not a freak, Prickle Berry. You're a miracle."

Prickle felt a new wave of numbness sweep over her. "A miracle?" she barely breathed out.

"You are," confirmed Silver. "Now... the sneaky stuff." Her smile deepened. "In front of Diamond Tiara, I own you. I have something on you so salacious--"

"What?"

Silver giggled softly. "Something so dirty and horrible that you'll do anything to keep me quiet. Just act like that and there's no reason for me to not come and speak to you once in a while, right at school." She leaned in closer. "I am your tormentor, but... this time it's just pretend. Understand?"

She didn't not entirely, but some parts were clear. "You really want to be my friend?"

"I do." Silver gave a firm nod. "May I?"

Prickle squirmed fitfully, unsure what to say. "I don't know you." It was true. She only knew Silver Spoon as Diamond Tiara's +1 of bullying.

"We can fix that," promised Silver in her gentle tones. "I want to know you better too. I'm sorry I did that before, but we can fix it. Prickle Berry, will you be my friend?"

The blunt question sent Prickle down lightly to her haunches. "I... we... can try?" The urge to say no outright wasn't there. She was lost and confused. "So... what do you... like to do?"

Silver frowned faintly. "I like being with my friends and doing what they like to do."

That made almost too much sense to Prickle. The next question felt obvious. "Who are your friends, besides Diamond Tiara?"

Silver opened her mouth to reply, but it slowly closed for an awkward moment before she ruffled up. "All the foals at school! Except maybe Snips and Snails!"

Prickle reached out and echoed Silver's motion, placing her hoof on the rich filly's chest. "Your secret is safe with me."

Silver blinked, at first with confusion, then it turned to anger, face turning red and trembling, just for it to break. Big tears welled in her eyes. "Will you be my friend? A for real friend?"

Her former tormentor reduced to tears, laid naked and bare before her, Prickle saw a filly that was so very alone, even when surrounded by ponies that looked up to her. Prickle spread her hooves wide and Silver stepped forward. With the utmost of care, she embraced the rich filly. "I'm ready to try."

"Aw, that's the sweetest thing I've seen all day and that's saying something seeing as--"

Both fillies turned with confused and shocked expressions. There was Pinkie Pie, rambling away. "This calls for a party! Wait, we just had one of those..."

Prickle twitched an ear at the pink pony, then at her new silver friend. "Did you invite her?"

Silver sat back with a little laugh. "Invite her? She's the one that helped put it all together."

Pinkie bobbed her head. "A-huh. I'm Ponyville's #1 party planner, so it shouldn't be a surprise she'd come to me to help plan things." She leaned in towards both fillies. "How was it? Ya both had a really good great time?"

Prickle felt a chill down her spine. "Does that mean she knows?"

"Know what?" Pinkie tilted her head. "That you're Tiny Titan, Ponyville's newest, smallest, hero?! Of course, silly. This is your party! Well, I guess it's technically Silver Spoon's party, but she threw it for you."

Silver began to look increasingly guilty. "But you knew that ahead of time, right?"

"I figured it out," said Pinkie with a nod. "I'm good at that. So, how was it?!"

Author's Note:

Pinkie... I don't think I need more words.

Have your own story written on atreon!

Join my discord to chat!

PreviousChapters Next