• Published 1st Feb 2017
  • 11,938 Views, 984 Comments

Knights of the Realm - Kinni



Sunset, Trixie and Twilight were chosen as Celestia's apprentices, but they also choose to become Knights, protectors of Equestria. They are prepared for that, but Equestria is probably not prepared for them.

  • ...
24
 984
 11,938

PreviousChapters Next
Knight Stories

"Okay, this is taking a while. I'm bored." Sunset complained.

The eight main Knights were waiting in a garden just outside Canterlot Castle.

"Speak for yourself." Rarity said "I've been doing nothing but making magical weapons in bulk ever since Princess Celestia received news of the Shadow invasion. I'm glad to have some time to rest."

Shadow monsters were fairly annoying because for normal ponies, it was impossible to even hurt them without some kind of magical weapon. And different from normal outbreaks, there were simply too many monsters coming from too many directions for the Knights to be able to deal with the situation. So, Celestia had been forced to send the conventional forces, though they needed to be outfited with special weapons, which was where Rarity had came in.

"What about your apprentices?" Trixie asked "Didn't you say they were a big help with this problem?"

Rarity sighed "Yeah, they were. After Spike and Luna's avatars discovered Sombra's hoof on that shadow outbreak, Celestia ordered them to research some countermeasures against shadow monsters, and they came up with a design for magical weapons that were very simple to produce, while still being effective, which are the things I've been creating."

She shook her head and continued "However, they simply don't have the production capacity to create the needed amount of weapons fast enough to help." Another sigh "I've been teaching them about ritual artificing ever since our last mission, but creating a ritual to forge magical weapons in bulk takes a while, even if they're so simple and both Moondancer and Minuette are helping. So I have to do this drudgery work."

"Yeah. I know how you feel." Rainbow Dash said "Even if what you are doing is awesome, repeating the same awesome thing over and over again without changing anything is not awesome at all."

"Then you should be happy that this is almost over, my dear Rarity." Celestia said.

"Your highness!" Rarity ran towards the princess, who had just appeared from a teleport "You mean it?!"

"Yes." She nodded "You just need to make one more batch and it will be enough for the guards to hold out for a while."

"Oh, thank you..." Rarity said, then walked towards the pile of scrap metal that she had been using for materials.

The unicorn Knight stopped, took a deep breath, and started focusing her power.

A house sized chunk of scrap metal rose fifteen meters into the sky, slowly going higher and higher, until it reached a point where it looked like a fly from the sheer distance. Then the flames started.

The metal was enveloped by multiple flows of flames in multiple colors. The Knights and Celestia could feel that these flames were being controlled to an extreme degree of precision, and Applejack's Eyes of Truth revealed to her that each of the flames had specific magical scripts "engraved" in it (it wasn't possible to really engrave flames, but that was the closest way to describe it).

After that, winds came spiraling into the flames, turning the whole thing into a hurricane of metal and fire. And finally, came the time for the water, as a small rain cloud formed above the metal and started dropping water on it. But it wasn't simply ordinary rain, as skilled eyes would be able to see that every single drop of water was being precisely controlled, and they were all falling into the structure on a complex pattern.

"Forge of Creation." Rarity declared, and a final pulse of magic was released.

Weapons started to rain from the sky. There were swords, spears, axes, arrows and other types of weapons in various sizes and shapes. They rained down and landed just above the ground, in a cushion of air that Rarity conjured with barely a thought.

"Perfect." Celestia said "Thank you for the work, Rarity. Now you girls just need to wait until Luna finishes her search for Sombra and you can go on your mission."

Saying that, she grabbed all the weapons in her telekinesis and teleported out together with them.

"Well... I guess we just have to wait, then." Twilight said.

She really wasn't much better at simply waiting than Sunset, so she tried to think of something to talk about.

"Ahh... Speaking of forging..." She said "I have to thank you for this new armor you gave me." She said to Rarity.

Not only Twilight, but all the other Knights had also received new armors that had been created by Rarity. That included even Spike and the Crusaders.

"You're welcome, though I haven't exactly finished them yet." Rarity said "I wanted to customize them to help with your new skills, but it's been so little time since you finished developing those..."

"Wait, you mean the finished versions will be even better?" Rainbow Dash asked "Awesome!"

After that, there was an instant of silence before Rarity spoke something else:

"That reminds me of something..." She looked at Twilight "You weren't here at the last mission, but we talked about the hardships of our training. Do you want to share your thoughts?"

Twilight thought for a moment "Well, I guess there's no harm in that. Well..." She tried to think of how to start the story "Basically, the Cage of Numeria is a prison for undying monsters. But what you would not expect is that due to their aura, the whole place became somewhere without the hold of the concept of death.

"After going there, I spent a long time fighting against those monsters, but eventually I got too tired and was eaten. But inside the Cage, there was no death, so I remained completely aware even as my body was dissolved into its most basic parts and became part of the creature.

"Little by little, I started to develop an awareness of each and every single part of myself, so I used my magic to start rebuilding my body." She smiled bitterly and shook her head "I finally realized how amazing healing magic masters actually are. Even after such a tireless effort, the body that I managed to recreate was completely crippled.

"The insides didn't line up correctly, the bones were either too thick or too thin, the nerves were overly sensitive and spread in places that would receive damage with every movement... And my heart was shaped wrongly, so it hurt with every heartbeat. So of course, I was quickly eaten again."

The other Knights were speechless at Twilight using such a casual tone to speak of such horrifying events. But she continued, heedless of their reaction.

"I realized that it would be too difficult to improve my skills to the point where I could fix my body completely, so instead I started to develop a Chaotic Body, a special physique that changes constantly but remains lifelike due to the power of chaos. In doing that, I slowly managed to overcome the undying beasts, and I learned a lot more about the power of chaos magic, so I could start developing new techniques."

She nodded, and looked at her companions. After a moment of silence, Sunset spoke:

"Yeah, that's pretty rough. But I think Trixie's training was still worse."

"Again, Trixie isn't really happy at winning that kind of competition." Trixie spoke.

Then there was another moment of silence, as the Knights tried to think of something else to talk about. This time it was Applejack that came to the rescue.

"Ah... Twilight mentioning it reminded me." She looked at Trixie "Ya said your favorite Knight was a master in healing magic. Ah wanted ta hear more about that."

"Oh yeah!" Rainbow Dash burst out "I've been reading some stories about the Knights ever since Sunset mentioned it, so I am also curious..."

"You read?!" Fluttershy interrupted her, surprised.

"Well..." Rainbow Dash looked awkward "Yeah... They are pretty cool... Anyway, I think it would be fun to hear about the Knights you three consider your favorites." She looked at the three senior Knights.

"Right... Trixie also thinks the same. How about you two?" The showmare asked Twilight and Trixie.

"I have no objections." Twilight said with a smile.

"It's a way to pass the time, so okay." Sunset said "Since Applejack asked you, why don't you go first, Trixie?"

"Right. Then Trixie will tell the story of her own favorite Knight." She declared, then took a deep breath and started narrating:

"Our heroine began her story as a unicorn called White Marble." Trixie used illusions to add to the experience, producing the image of a green unicorn mare "When she was a child, she gained a cutie mark for treating an injury of one of her school mates, and eventually she joined the royal guard, since her dad had been a guard and she wanted to help keep others like him alive.

"She became a battlefield doctor, one with a high degree of skill in healing magic. This was a period of time where Equestria was constantly suffering attacks from the underground lava demons, so she experienced life and death situations many times over the course of her work." Trixie showed a mini-scene of guards facing off against lava demons "And one time, the worst case scenario happened. Her unit was surrounded and they were slowly being obliterated, to the point where even she had to take up arms and try to fight.

"She was heavily injured very quickly, but White Marble soon found out that she could keep fighting as long as she could keep healing herself." The scene changed to White Marble fighting, though it was depicted in sillhouette, or it would be too gruesome "So she started to fight while disregarding her own life, receiving horrifying injuries but killing the enemies in the process. Eventually, the lava demons focused their efforts on her, but even that wasn't enough to kill her, and the tide actually turned, allowing the remains of her team to survive."

"When Princess Celestia received the report about it, she called for White Marble and gave her the opportunity to become a Knight. Our heroine accepted and received a two-month long crash course to learn several secret Knight techniques and increase her magical ability to the highest level possible." The scene changed to White Marble receiving a storm of magical attacks from both Celestia and Luna.

"That's usually how it was done in the past." Sunset piped up "Instead of receiving an all-around education like us three, the Knights were heroes who received focused training to sharpen their specialties to a ridiculous degree."

"Indeed." Trixie said, not minding the interruption and even using it to build atmosphere "She returned to the battlefield a changed mare, leading a specialized charging unit from the front, and keeping not only herself, but every single member of the unit constantly in health. She became a crucial part of the war effort."

"And of course, such would make her a target. Eventually, the king of the lava demons used his magic to banish her to the dream realm." Now the image was a powerful-looking lava demon throwing White Marble into a portal "However, that turned out to be a mistake. White Marble eventually came back, and she had bound her soul partially to the dream realm, creating what she called a 'dreamsoul'. This made her even harder to kill, to the point where she received the title of 'The Immortal'. She defeated the lava demon king and ended the war, but that was just the beginning of her legend." Trixie stopped for a moment "Also, Princess Luna became the new ruler of the dream realm."

"Later, one mage raised a particular student with a talent in blocking abilities, and used various methods to turn him into a behemoth that would be able to fight against White Marble, which combined with his focused ability to prevent her from healing herself, would be used to kill her." The scene showed a behemoth that could only barely be recognized as a former pony "It didn't work." Trixie deadpanned, causing a bit of laughter.

"Still, it was a pretty bad situation. The enemy was very resilient, and White Marble had to rely on her dreamsoul to keep her alive after she had received so many injuries that her body stopped working. In total, the fight lasted for a whole week, and White Marble's body had even started decaying by the time she finally won." Trixie showed the scene of the Knight fighting the behemoth,

"I'm not gonna lie... That is pretty horrifying." Rainbow Dash said, though her voice showed that she was impressed.

"She called the experience 'unconfortable', which I'm sure must be some kind of record in the field of understatement." Twilight said, then she rolled her eyes and pouted "And of course, she fixed herself up to perfect health in a single spell, which is really annoying after what I had to go through."

Fluttershy patted her head comfortingly, and Trixie changed the scene once more, and this change caused everypony to focus again, because this time it showed White Marble fighting against Tirek.

"However. Her greatest feat was also her last." Trixie was somber "She fought alone against Tirek to keep him from obtaining a powerful artifact, while Celestia and Luna were busy elsewhere." She closed her eyes "When Celestia came back, she found out that the whole battlefield was dead. The plants were dead, the ground was dead and even the air was dead.

"The only things left alive were Tirek, who was only not dead because he is pretty much unkillable, and a unicorn filly who had no idea what was going on." Trixie said.

"What... What happened?" Applejack asked.

"Denial of Origin." Trixie said "Or at least, that was the best explanation anyone could find. It is basically a theory about how by sacrificing one's own magical path, it was possible to achieve one extreme phenomenon of the opposite path. In that case, instead of healing, it was death." She stopped for a moment "Apparently White Marble managed it, but she also sacrificed everything but her life. Losing her memories along with all her magical skill, and she ended up reverted to the age of a filly. She even lost her cutie mark."

None of the Knights could say anything in response to that.

"Celestia ended up giving White Marble to be raised by one of her cousins. She grew up as a farmer and lived a perfectly normal life." Trixie finished the story.

Everypony spent a moment thinking about that. They understood the dangers of the profession of Knight, but that didn't mean they were completely fearless of them. Eventually, Twilight decided to change the subject:

"Okay. I guess it's my turn then." She said.

Trixie moved to the "audience" (a true showmare could turn anything into an audience) and allowed Twilight to take her place.

"Knight Aurora Dream, the Devourer of Existence, is my favorite one. She is my idol." Twilight started with a different tack than Trixie "She got her cutie mark as a young earth pony filly for eating rocks, and as an adult, she earned a living as a showmare dedicated to eating things no one should be able to.

"However, one day. A city where she was staying was attacked by an army of mutated beasts created by Warlock Feral Claw." Twilight said "And seeing no other way to survive, she decided to do what she did best: Eating." Twilight giggled "Even she didn't expect that to be so effective, but it turned out that her actual talent was in a very rare and dangerous kind of magic... Hunger Magic."

Twilight nodded "Under such extreme circumstances, she entered in a magical frenzy, and started eating the beasts like they were candy." She smiled broadly "And while for most ponies, such a thing would result in a tragedy as they ended up eating the entire city, along with the innocents, she managed to control herself and snap out of the berserk state.

"After that, she decided to use her powers to protect other ponies, and she fought against Feral Claw's minions continually, as well as fighting to get her magic under control. She saved countless lives, and then Celestia called her to receive training and become a Knight." Twilight continued "Eventually, she managed to defeat Feral Claw by eating him along with his entire base."

Twilight smiled again "But that's not the best part. Despite her troublesome magic, she managed to remain a successful Knight, by developing a technique called Dual Essence, that allowed her to remain in control even in a berserk state. She even managed to live to retirement age, which is a rarity among Knights. She married, had children, all that good stuff."

Fluttershy clapped politely "That was a good story."

Pinkie smiled at her teacher "I can see why she is your favorite."

The others expressed their thoughts as well, and then Sunset moved to start her own story.

"Amber Tree, the Black Knight. That is the name of my favorite." Was how she chose to start "Technically, she would be Knight Amber Tree, the Black Knight, but Princess Celestia didn't like the redundancy and created the rule that you should skip the Knight part if the title already includes that word."

There were a few scattered laughs, and then she continued "She was a pegasus, part of the Night Guard. One day, her unit was sent to hold the line against Minotaur Red Skin, one of the enemies of the Knights of the time. They only had to last until the Knights arrived." She shook her head "Instead, Amber Tree ended up defeating him herself... I can only imagine the faces the Knights made when they arrived."

There was even more laughter at that.

"So of course, she was selected to be trained as a Knight, and Princess Luna herself was the one who gave her lesson... Because her specialty was the same as Luna's: Close Combat!" Sunset grinned "Initially, she fought using an ice sword and shield, along with her physical abilities, but eventually she developed her greatest skill: Essence Armor!

"It is basically a way to create armor based on your own soul, purely out of energy, and it's as powerful as you would expect." She stopped for a moment "Amber Tree gained her title from it. And with time she rose up to become undoubtedly the strongest Knight of her generation.

"Eventually, the villains realized that she was the greatest obstacle to their plans, so they joined together to execute a masterstroke." Sunset stopped "Using magic to banish her to an empty space without any allies, where she would have to fight the six strongest villains of the era, fighting together in order to get rid of her... The Sinister Six..."

Sunset looked at her audience and saw that they were all interested, specially Rainbow Dash.

"Each of them was a threat on the level of Sombra... And she beat them all." Sunset grinned even more broadly than ever "She defeated all of them and managed to get back home. And after that... Equestria became peaceful."

"What do you mean?" Pinkie Pie asked.

"It's just that her reputation was so great, that the enemies of the era realized that their best chance of completing their plans was to just... Wait for her to die and then try it." Sunset said simply.

"Wow..." Rainbow Dash had no words in response to that.

Everyone thought about that new story for a bit, before Rarity came up with another topic:

"'The Immortal', 'The Black Knight', 'Devourer of Existence'... Those are some really ominous titles. Is this a trend, or something?"

The three senior Knights looked at her, then at each other. The message "Dark Realm" passed through their eyes... And they collapsed in laughter.

"What did I say?" Rarity was confused.

"Nothing... It's just..." Sunset found it difficult to regain control.

"You just made us remember a Knight whose title was 'Seeker of Darkness'. And her story is so funny that we had to laugh." Trixie was better at it.

"Now Ah'm curious." Applejack said "What's the deal with her?"

"Okay..." Twilight got her last giggles under control "You know how there are records about all the Knights, and once in a while, the three of us asked her for details about certain Knights with impressive or interesting records... But she never answered any questions about the Seeker of Darkness."

"However." Sunset took over "When Luna came back, we eventually thought of asking her, and she was happy to tell us." She stopped for a moment "Apparently, Celestia didn't like to talk about that particular Knight because of all the headaches she suffered because of her."

"Okay. Let us begin with the mare, or rather the filly, herself. She was born as Dark Realm, and she was an earth pony." Trixie continued "Obviously, for her parents to have named her that, they weren't normal. In fact, they were part of a cult of magic users who worshipped the idea of 'Pure Evil'.

"And she was raised in such an environment." Trixie stopped for a moment "So she was traumatized one day when she realized that none of the ponies in the cult were actually pure evil." Trixie shook her head "So, this six year old filly, who knew enough dark secrets of magic to fill one hundred scrolls, decided that there is only one thing she could do."

"She left on a journey, trying to find a being that was truly pure evil. And she started calling herself Seeker of Darkness." Sunset continued "She sought out the biggest tyrants in existence, she dove deep into sealed abysses, she approached the most wicked sorcerers... But none could satisfy her search for pure evil."

"She even became Tirek's apprentice for two years." Twilight spoke "Which meant he was definitely pretty evil, but apparently not evil enough for her tastes." She shrugged.

"What." Rarity was too surprised to be able to turn it into a question "How did that happen?!"

"When Luna asked how she managed to become Tirek's apprentice, she only said 'persistence'." Twilight answered "As for how she discovered that he wasn't pure evil? She refused to explain, saying that it was too depressing to think about."

At that point, the Knights that didn't know the story could understand the reaction of the three. It was really a strange story, and it was probably going to get even stranger.

Sure enough... "So, after a journey of ten years, our filly is now a teenager. And she has failed to find the pure evil she was looking for. What is her reaction?" Trixie spoke "She decided that, if even the darkest soul had a trace of light inside, then that meant that good was more powerful than evil. So she went to Canterlot and asked to be made a Knight."

"She... asked?!" Fluttershy's voice was noticeably louder than usual at that point.

"Yeah. Just straight up asked." Sunset answered "That sort of thing only happened like three times in the history of the Knights." She shook her head "Still, since she hadn't actually commited any crimes during her quest, and she had the skills, the princesses eventually decided to accept her, after making sure that her heart was in the right place, even in a weird way."

"And that was when the problems started." Twilight said "Dark Realm's specialty was severing magic, the opposite of the bond magic of the Crusaders. Her favorite spell was called 'Word of Power: Death', and it worked by forcefully severing the connection between the body and the soul of the target.

"Dark Realm was also a master of Dark Magic, and she loved to create and test new spells. Which is nice, but..." Twilight shook her head "To give you girls an idea, there's fifty three spells created by Dark Realm in the forbidden magic record. And they're all really intense stuff, stuff like poison magic and zone of death." Even Twilight seemed to be a little weirded out by that "Also, her greatest regret was always that she was unable to complete her 'masterpiece', 'the darkest of dark magics' Parasite Soul, a spell that was supposed to turn the caster's soul into a parasite in the body of the target."

As everypony tried to imagine such a thing, Sunset said something else "Also, Princess Luna said that she was always cheerful and upbeat, even when talking about that kind of stuff."

The incongruity of that imagined scene left the Knights speechless for a bit. Trixie continued:

"So, as you might imagine, keeping Dark Realm under control and preventing her from accidentally causing international incidents was a full-time job, and that was what caused Celestia's headaches. Specially because she seemed to have a knack for getting villains to turn to the side of good, starting with her family and the cult. This is definitely a good thing, but has a ton of logistical problems... Luna called her 'the most baffling Knight in history'."

After a bit of time to process things, Rainbow Dash was the first one to talk:

"I can understand why you three find that funny..." Then she seemed to think of something "Wait, since you said she was the most baffling Knight in history, then who was the strongest Knight in history?"

Sunset sat down and started drawing circles on the ground with her hoof, mumbling some words that sounded like "tried so many times" and "what even is strength anyway?". Twilight and Trixie patted her consolingly.

"Did I say something wrong?" Rainbow asked.

"It's just that Sunset always wanted to know who was the strongest Knight of all time. But Princess Celestia always refused to give a clear answer, saying that it was difficult to judge the relative power of different types of magic and different specialties." Twilight said "And when Sunset finally found a version of the question she would answer..."

"In this case 'If you were facing a great threat and could call upon any Knight in history to help you, who would you call?'" Trixie explained.

"Celestia's answer was Knight Thistle Down, the Eyes of Magic. And the reason was because of her combination of power and versatility." Twilight continued "And since versatility isn't exactly Sunset's strong point, she became a little down."

"Oh..." Was Rainbow Dash's response "So... What was Thistle Down's deal, anyway?"

"Applejack should know about her." Trixie said "After all, she was one of the holders of the Eyes of Truth."

They looked at the earth pony, and she nodded "That's right. But she was a specialist in spells, using her Eyes ta see through the most basic elements of magic. Celestia even said once that even she couldn't match up ta Thistle Down in terms of sheer magical skill. She could pretty much use any kinda magic with ease, so calling her versatile is an understatement."

Applejack then continued "There was even a time where she used her Eyes ta see through every magic Tirek could use, then she countered all of them easily, beat him up 'like a sandbag', in the words of the historian, and threw him back into Tartarus."

The Knights nodded, that was really impressive.

"Besides that..."

She was interrupted by the sudden apparition of a black scroll above Trixie.

Every Knight immediately focused, and Sunset snapped out of her funk. Trixie pulled the scroll close and read it.

"She found him." She said simply.

The rest of the Knights nodded and prepared mentally.

The mission was about to start.

Author's Note:

Foreshadowing, so much foreshadowing!

Also, since things have been so serious lately, I decided that a chapter of mostly laughs would be good, specially considering what I have planned for the rest of the arc.

PreviousChapters Next