• Published 7th Sep 2017
  • 1,642 Views, 66 Comments

My Little Mages: Kingdom of Friendship - Foxhelm



As the Mystica Games end and Summer winds to an end, Twilight finds herself disillusioned about her princess status. But another foe of old has returned, Lord Tirek. A retelling of Twilight's Kingdom in this My Little Mages AU

  • ...
1
 66
 1,642

Liminacy

Prologue: The Last Straw

A young woman was sitting at a desk in a bedroom rather dejectedly. She had dark sapphire hair with two streaks, one was rose and the other was violet, with violet eyes, and metallic wings purple and gold in color which seemed to float behind her and yet also come from her back with two amethyst six-pointed stars functioning for the wings like her arm's shoulder balls. She wore a headband with a horn-like amethyst focusing gem on her forehead, with a dull blue robe with large golden cuffs, pink pants and brown boots that went up above her ankle. This was Princess Twilight Sparkle, and she seemed to be having a crisis of identity as she looked to her bed with a tiara that’s front looked like it was made of a series of intersecting triangles and a gold and purple regal looking gown. She gave a sigh before she turned to face the five other young women in the room.

The first of the other five had hair that was like a rainbow in color and that was done in a high ponytail with a hairpin that looked like a stylized cloud and a tri-colored rainbow of red, yellow and blue, with cerise eyes. She wore black sock-like boats that went above her knees, with a dull purple skirt and light a dull blue shirt with white and gold wing styled sleeves. On her waist, usually, was a quiver with a bow and from her ankles came ethereal wing. This was her youngest closest friend, Rainbow Dash.

The next woman had had long deep-magenta hair with a small tiara on her head with three sapphires cut as kites, this was Rarity, she had azure eyes, and she wore a long alabaster gown with some pinkish-purple with a long slightly transparent pinkish red shawl going around her back and hanging from her elbows.

Next was a blonde woman with green eyes, named Applejack. Her hair was done in a low ponytail and was dressed in brown pants, brown boots, a red leather jacket with some pieces of armor most notably pauldrons with stylized apples, brown gloves, a scabbard with a longsword in it.

After her, was a woman shorter than all the others with bouncing cotton pink hair, blue eyes, this was Pinkie Pie, she wore a bear legged leotard with blue cruelly toed shoes a pink jester coat and a dark pink jester’s hat with three balloons, one was yellow and two were blue.

The last woman in the room, and the oldest of the six, also had pink hair and blue eyes like Pinkie Pie, but her hair was lighter shade of pink and her eyes were a lighter shade of blue, teal actually, she was Fluttershy she was dressed in a green, yellow and light blue dress with a stylized pink butterfly as a brooch for her hood. None of the five knew what to say to help their friend, until Fluttershy spoke up, “It might not all be that bad.” Twilight only sighed again as she looked at the floor.

Just then the door opened as a purple-scaled bipedal reptile with green spines along his back entered. He was about as tall as a twelve-year-old boy, this was Spike the dragon and he was Twilight’s familiar, “Can you believe it!” He exclaimed happily. “I am the Hero of Krystalopolies, it’s like it was only yesterday I delivered to Cadance the Crystal Heart. And the crowd goes wild.” Spike then cuffed his front hand-like talons and started to speak in a projected whisper like those trying to imitate a cheer, “Yay, Spike the Great and Bold, we love you, your scales are so shiny.”

“We get it, Spike.” Rainbow declared clearly annoyed with the dragon’s self-glorification since their arrival the day before and seeing the statue depicting him holding the Crystal Heart up in the air. “You’re ecstatic about the hero worship and that you will the first dragon in Mystician history to ever light the flames for the opening ceremony. Geez, you’ve been like this since we got here yesterday! SHUT UP ABOUT IT!” that last part caused the dragon to dip his head and whimper a little, not unlike an injured puppy.

Rarity gave Spike a hug making him feel better before she rolled her eyes and spoke to Rainbow Dash, “And none of us have ever so much as peeped about any of our achievements. It’s not like Applejack, Fluttershy and I haven’t had to dress up as a masked vigilante to address someone else’s ego. Not naming names.” However, everyone knew whom she was talking about and the events in question. Rainbow Dash could only give a weak and nervous laugh as she rubbed the back of her neck.

“So how you doin’, Sparkle?” Spike asked as he turned to Twilight.

Twilight got up and walked to the bed, “Not good,” she sighed, “But I am glad you are all here.” Twilight fanned a smile which fooled no one. Everyone raised an eyebrow in disbelief, “Alright it just feels like all I’ve gone through, this big change after my ascension,” she said as she flapped her wings as if to mock flight, “hasn’t amounted to much. I am thankful that you all are here, but when the Magetonian Duke, his wife, and their team arrive, I doubt I’ll do more than smile and wave.” Twilight then sat down, avoiding the dress and gave another sigh as she looked down to the floor.

“Unsure about how things have been goin’ since the Summer Sun Celebration and feelin’ that your princess-hood doesn’t amount tah much, given your first thing after that was the Rainbow Falls annual Traders’ Exchange?” Applejack asked cutting to the chase as she sat down next to her friend. Twilight only nodded with a frown. Applejack lifted Twilight’s chin, “Ya gotta real important role in Mystica, it might seem small compared to the other princesses right now, but Princess Celestia wouldn’t have asked yah to come two days before the Mystica team is scheduled to arrive for the games if she didn’t think your role was valuable.” This brought a much-needed smile on Twilight’s face, “Now that’s more like it, Sugarcube. Now Spike, do yah mind stepping out, wah got to get Twilight ready for this royal shindig, we don’t have much time.” Applejack said as she got up and walked towards the dress Twilight was to wear. Spike got the hint, nodded and walked out, shutting the door behind him.


About an hour later, along the main road leading to the castle of Krystalopolies, a great number of the citizens of Mystica, including the Crystalborn of Krystalopolies, watched as several people dressed in long many-colored robes, most of them Earthborns. At the head was a man in blue with an ornate purple and gold sash and cape with a tall purple hat with golden designs and a braided beard that covered his neck without a mustache. Walking next to him was fairer skinned shorter woman, a Magicborm, with a metal headdress silver in color and made to look like a semicircle. Her own robes were purple with a clock of a lighter shade. As they walked, one of the guards announced them, “Citizens of Mystica, welcome the Duke and Duchess of Magetonia!” he proclaimed, as the crowd cheered.

Looking from above on a balcony was Twilight next to an unrolled banner. At the completion of the ‘tonia’, she unrolled the banner, the flag of the Magetonian Duchray. While the duke and duchess finished their procession and bowed to Celestia, Luna and Cadance, all three in their full regalia, Celestia’s was most grand of the three. The Duke and Duchess gave the three princesses gave proper bows and the three nodded in respect.

All the while Twilight just smiled and wave. After another minute, she stepped away from the railing on the balcony turning to her friends and familiar. None of them knew how to voice their disappointment over such an anticlimactic event, save one. “That was it? Princess Celestia asked you to come all the way here two days before the Magiville team is scheduled to arrive for the Mystica Games just to do that? Seriously isn’t that a job for a guard or something.” The dragon ranted before getting tapped on the shoulder by Applejack. Spike then followed the paladin’s hand and saw Twilight looking down at the balcony floor dejectedly as if her role as a Mystican princess was utterly pointless. Upon seeing that he should have kept his mouth shut, the dragon attempted to correct his error. “I mean, whoa, that was really regal and important!” He then laughed nervously before he was then given a whack on the back of his head by Applejack.


Chapter 1: Liminacy

Twilight waited in one of the hallways of the Krystalopolian castle. In this one was a console room where Celestia, Luna, and Cadance were discussing matters of state with the Magetonian duke and duchess. She was hoping to dump into the two Magetonians, hoping that her presence was actually important. The doors then opened as the duke and duchess stepped out. As the two approached Twilight, they bowed to Twilight as they bowed to Cadance, Luna, and Celestia. Twilight’s bow was slightly lower than Cadance’s and Luna’s. “Allow me to finally greet you in person, your graces,” Twilight spoke as she rose.

The two rose in turn, the duke then addressed Twilight, “We are most humbled by your greeting, Princess Twilight. We are most thankful for your understanding concerning our request about your absence during our talks with Princess Cadance, Princess Luna, and Empress Celestia and we appreciate that you wished to be part of the matter and still acquests to our requests.”

Twilight smiled with her eyes closed in a warm and welcoming way, “Certainly.”

Before the Duke and Twilight could talk more, the Duchess spoke up, “Please forgive us, your highness, but there are others we must talk with today. We have to leave in order to discuss with our two nations’ mutual allies with the matters betwixt us if you will excuse us.”

“I understand,” Twilight allowed the two to pass her and proceed on their way. As they exited the hall Twilight heard the console room doors open and close again. She turned to see Celestia, Luna, and Cadance exit the room. Hoping to know if there “Is there anything else I can do to assist with the visit of the Magetonians?”

The three older princesses shared a nervous look, but in it, Twilight could tell there was some sort of rock-paper-scissors game going on between the three. Cadance seemed to have lost the game as she walked up to Twilight and placing both her hands on both of Twilight’s shoulder, the sadness in her voice gave Twilight a vibe of apology, “I'm sorry, Twilight, but everything that we needed to address and resolve with the Magetonians before the Games is complete, all that remains before the Games concerning their time are the matters they have with our mutual allies, protectorates, tributaries, and such, and while we all are mutual allies, there are affairs they have amongst each other. Affairs, we, Mysticans, should not get involved in beyond providing a place for them to discuss where they have equal footing.”

“Oh.” was the only response Twilight had as she dipped her head with a frown on her face and sad eyes, turning from Cadance dejected.

The three older princess again shared nervous looks while also engaged in another game of nonverbal rock-paper-scissors between but between Celestia and Luna, this time Luna was the one to address Twilight asking the question none of them wanted to but they all knew had to be asked, “Is there something wrong, Equal Twilight?”

Twilight sighed before she looked back up to face her three fellow princesses, “I don’t understand why I'm here before the Magiville Team is scheduled to arrive. Couldn't one of the royal guard have unfurled the banner?”

Celestia spoke up this time, as she was the last one that needed to talk to Twilight. In an attempt to answer Twilight’ question, “Magetonian hospitality customs has the youngest of a hosting family hold aloft the banner of the visiting family of equal status, as we are the hosts, and we are family, and because you are the youngest member of the family, thus you would be the one to hold the banner or, in this case, unroll the Magetonian flag.” There was another reason Celestia wanted Twilight to do it, she wanted to keep Blueblood out of genuine official matters, the last time he was part of such proceedings he nearly caused more than one diplomatic incident due to a lack of thought in speaking, granted Blueblood was not the one to actually start the breakdown, he just poured gasoline the fire.

Seeing that didn’t seem to provide Twilight comfort as the youngest turned away from the three older princesses, Cadance came up and hugged her sister-in-law sisterly, “It also gives me a chance to spend some quality time with my favorite sister-in-law, before the Mystican Games start.”

Twilight gave a small smile, as she returned the hug, but as she broke it and stepped back to look at all three of the older princesses, “And I'm happy to see you. All of you…”

Twilight’s trailing off was not unnoticed by the other three princesses. However, Cadance elected to not play the silent rock-paper-scissors test of wills with the senior two, and went to the heart of the matter, “I am sensing a big ‘But’ coming up.” Twilight dipped her head knowing she was called out. Cadance, again attempted to comfort her sister-in-law, trying to know and understand what was bothering Twilight, “Please Twilight, will you tell us what’s the matter?”

Twilight raised her head and turned back to the three a small frown on her face, “You each have some sort of established role.” Twilight directed to Luna first of the three as she turned to the princess of the night, “Princess Luna, you guide the moon along its path and shepherd the minds at rest amongst the Dreamscape,” Twilight then turned to Celestia not seeing Luna dip her head slightly in remorse. “Princess Celestia, you raise the sun and nurture the growth of Mystica day to day,” Celestia too gave a small head dip of remorse as Twilight turned her attention to Cadance, “Cadance, you protect Kystalopolies and the Crystal Heart and through it spread love and light all over the world,” Twilight paused and looked away from the other three again dipping her in sorrow for second before she raised her head and gave a sad smile and weak wave of her right hand, “and all I seem to do is... smile and wave.” Twilight then turned away as if to walk away.

Celestia walked up to Twilight and placed her left hand on Twilight’s right should. Twilight then turned to face her mentor, “You seem to think that the title ‘princess’ was meant to bestow onto you qualities and such. But it denotes that you have these qualities. Yes, there are some expectations given due to the nature of titles, but you have always brought your best to the role and that is what matters.”

“But what’s my purpose, what part do I play, what’s the plan?”

“Even We demigods at birth can not see all ends, and the same can be said of beings like Discord. While we do see many things, not all of the secrets of existence are revealed to us.” Luna tried to answer the clearly lost Twilight.

“We might not know what part you’ll play in the grander scheme of things, Twilight, but we know you’ll rise to the challenge, you did so with Nightmare Moon, Discord, Chrysalis, Nightmare Rarity, Sombra, The Grimorum of Star Swirl, Sunset. Need I go on?” Cadance answered and asked.

“I know these words might not offer the comfort you seek. Yet, please know this, Twilight, yes the sun rises, as does the moon, and love can find a place in every heart. You will learn your part, even if Cadance, Luna and I never figure it out, and you will perform it. Not because you are a princess, but because you are Twilight Sparkle.” Celestia then pulled Twilight it a motherly embrace, “Your time will come, my equal.”

“Thank you,” Twilight said before the hug ended and with a smile on her face she headed for her room.

The three other princesses turned to face each other, “Are you certain we shouldn’t tell Twilight?” Celestia asked more so directed at Cadance. “I know I play my cards close to the vest, but you don’t have to follow my example and this is a big deal.”

“It’s too soon to tell if things will go for the best.” Cadance shook her head with her eyes closed.

“Alright then.” Celestia agreed reluctantly with a sad nod.

“Best to bed, tomorrow the games start.” Luna yawned as she headed to her chambers, “How do you all stay awake during the days, I will never know.” the nocturnal diarch contemplated. Cadance then nodded goodbye and also headed to her chambers. Celestia sighed before she did likewise.


A week later, after the Mystica Games finished, late during the last night before Celestia and Luna would return to Chantalot, and Twilight would return to Magiville, deep within the capital city, a Magiborn man with white hair and blue eyes was walking. He wore a simple brown robe, with a pin that depicted for green gemstones arranged in a small equilateral rhombus between his heart and clavichord. He had a basket of oranges as he was heading home. As he used his focus gem to light his way he heard a can clank. He turned around thinking someone was there only to see a cat run away. He shook his head, laughing at himself for being so easily spooked. As he started to walk again he heard heavy labored breathing coming from a cloaked figure, but given how the cloak fell around him, he was borderline asphyxiated. “Terribly sorry,” the Magicborn said with a few apologetic chuckles. “I didn’t see you there.”

The cloaked figured didn’t respond at first, which begot a short period of awkward silence which made the Magicborn man feel very nervous and uncomfortable. Finally, the cloaked figure spoke in a near whisper, “'Is this person a friend or a foe?', the Mystican does wonders so.” The Magicborn man felt a few shivers run up and down his spine as he took a step back as yellow orbs came visible under the hood. “I assure you, Mystican... I am not of the former.” The cloaked figure, then held out his right hand as he revealed that in his left hand was a staff, it’s top looked like a bull’s head with demonic horns and an orange orb in between the horns, the size of the head of a pin. The Magicborn froze as he felt his inherent magic pulled out of him and pooled into the orb between the horns on the staff, “I am Tirek, Lord of Midnight Castle, and I am here to claim what ought to have been mine so long ago.” As the self-identified Tirek finished, the Magicborn fell to the ground, exhausted, his pupils becoming gray and his pin, his Aura Mark, was gone. Tirek gave a soft but evil chuckle as his yellow orb-like eyes flashed.


At that moment Celestia gasped in horror as she almost jumped out of her bed. She started to pant to calm herself, she was sweating and she short of breath. She was dressed in a set of alabaster colored flannel pajamas, there was little need for a show of regality at this point in the night. Just then the doors to her chambers were flung open and Luna entered, she was dressed in her usual gothic style dark blue and night black themed dress, her black tiara on her head. “Sister, are you alright?!” Luna almost shouted as she walked in at a brisk pace.

Celestia was able to finally calm herself down and turned to her younger sister, “It was nothing, Luna, I just had a nightmare…”

“That is a lie, Sister, and We shan't let it slide!” Luna pointed to her sister not believing Celestia, “and We know that was no dream. We have searched for your mind in the Dreamscape, for it was not even though you went to bed.” Luna took a breath, she knew she should not be scolding her sister so, those whose minds that didn’t traverse the Dreamscape while they slept, minds that were in a way trapped in the Waking Realm, were minds that truly needed the rest that traveling the Dreamscape allowed. Luna then sat at the foot of Celestia’s bed, as she looked not with harshness for the attempted lie, but with concern over her sister’s state. “You know that wasn't a dream, it was a vision. Now, what did you witness?”

Celestia did not answer as she got out of her bed and headed to the wardrobe she was using her stay and grabbed one of her white robes. “Wake Cadance and Twilight, Shining Armor and Twilight’s friends if you think it is prudent and meet me in the console chambers, we don’t have much time if you are right that it wasn’t a dream. He must be stopped as soon as possible, the more powerful he gets, the greater the danger he poses to all.” Luna nodded in silence and left her sister in a flash of argent light. “Why now?” Celestia asked herself. “What is causing all these events to happen now?”

About hour later, Celestia was greeted by Twilight, her friends, Spike, Cadance, Shining, Luna, and of all people Blueblood in the console chambers. Celestia was about to question why Luna summoned Blueblood but she elected to give him the chance to possibly contribute, if for nothing else than to have someone to state all the plans that won’t work so that no one can say Celestia didn’t cover her bases. In Celestia's hands was an old book, on its cover was a purple five-pointed star. Celestia sat down and place the book on the table. As she opened it images slowly began to take form.

“This is very much like when you told me about Sombra,” Twilight stated until she saw two images take form, one was a reddish brown-skinned man with gray hair and beard, yellow iris, and the whites of his eyes were black. He was a fairly muscular man, somewhere between Big Mac and Bulk Biceps but closer to Big Mac. He wore a sleeveless open black tail coat with silver button links in the front, a red small cap that went over the shoulders with gray fur on shoulders, with a black hood. He also wore a pair of black pants that ended with silver colored boot covers that looked like the hooves of a bull, around his waist was a silver belt that matched a silver neck guard and forearm braces. He had in his left hand a staff topped with what looked like a red bull’s head with demonic horns. Barely noticeable, the man also had a nose-ring. The other image was a brown-haired man with blue eyes and a small brown mustache, he was dressed not unlike Sombra but it was toned down as if he was of a lower rank and was a calming and welcoming blue with no armor and no crown.

“After Luna and I banished Sombra below the ice south of the Crystal Mountains there were several centuries of peace, until about fifty years before…” Celestia stopped as everyone was able to guess what event Celestia was alluding to. “At that time, Tirek the Spellthief, Lord of Midnight Castle attempted to invade Mystica.” as Celestia spoke the image of Midnight Castle was projected next to the two men.

“Wait, Midnight Castle… isn’t that…” Twilight started to ask.

“Yes, yes it is, now please no questions,” Luna took over as the images changed to show the two men with two older people that looked like their mother and father in what looked like the throne room of Midnight Castle. “Tirek felt that Mystica’s magic should have been his or, as he pitched it to his father then Lord Vorak, processed by the people of Midnight Castle. Because of various actions, Vorak and his wife Haydon stripped Tirek of his birthright as firstborn and banished him and placed Scorpan as next in line.” As Luna spoke the images acted out her narration in a fairly simplistic way, “Before Vorak died of natural causes, Tirek invaded the castle, using what he called 'The Rainbow of Darkness' and usurped the throne and transformed Scorpan into a gargoyle,” Everyone wanted to look away as they witnessed the transmutation of Scorpan. Spike saw something like that before when Sunset with the minotaurs. “Forcing his brother to be a statue during the day. However, it seems that Tirek wanted to torture his brother and so allowed Scorpan to live.”

Celestia took over the narration as the images matched her words showing Tirek and Scorpan striking a deal and their arrival on the westernmost coast of present-day Mystica, “Tirek convinced Scorpan to aid him in his attempt to take Mystican magic, most likely promising to reverse the curse. One night as Tirek slept, Scorpan flew ahead and come across Dream Valley.” The images changed to show Scorpan in flight until he landed in a valley, a valley that looked shockingly similar to where Magiville was, in fact, it showed Scorpan flying over the Everfree Forest.

“Wait, Dream Valley, isn’t that the valley in the center of Mystica, where Magiville and The Everfree Forest are?” Applejack asked as everyone turned back to Celestia, none of them, save Luna, were familiar with the term Dream Valley.

“And Chantalot, or more accurately the side of the mountain it has been constructed on, as well, in fact, the actual name of Mystica is ‘The Everfree Principality of Mystica in Dream Valley.’, if We may carry on?” Luna explained. None questioned the princess as she took over the narration. “There Scorpan was shocked that he was so well accepted for who and what he was, even in his new form, some of the people there even made a shelter that allowed him to interact with them during the day. So moved by their kindness he confronted Tirek to stop his brother. Scorpan failed to stop Tirek. However, Tirek was defeated and cast into Tartarus.” The images showed Scorpan at first hiding from by and resilient to interact with six young women. Twilight et al could not place their fingers on it, but it was like looking through some strange mirror. The images then showed Scorpan return to Tirek and hand to Tirek an amulet, an amulet that seemed to resemble the crest of Midnight Castle. The images then showed Tirek being blasted by some strange looking but powerful magic forcing him into Tartarus.

Celestia again took over the narration as the images showed Scorpan leaving Mystica, waving farewell to the six young women, “Scorpan, however, left Mystica and returned to Midnight Castle, to help his young son become a wise and just lord. Resulting in a family that has ruled over the comparatively tumultuous lands of Midnight Castle to this very day.” Celestia closed the book and the images faded leaving the table bare, for the knowledge in the tome had already been given and it provided little further help. “However, Tirek had escaped, most likely when Kerberos was absent from his post when someone here, not naming names, attempted time-travel to reverse an event.”

Everyone knew it was Twilight that caused that event but everyone elected to remain quiet on the matter as Twilight seemed to be in thought as Celestia closed the book and the images vanished. Twilight’s focus was elsewhere, she was confused about something, “But that was so long ago, nearly a year? Why is Tirek using his power now, shouldn’t he have been able to do when he escaped?” she finally asked.

Celestia had gotten up and collected the book, as she started to leave the table, “Tirek was sentenced to have his power drained from him at of rate of fifty percent of his power at any moment of every femtosecond until the end of time. That sentence has been over one thousand fifty years before his escape...”

“That’s 33,135,480,000,000,000,000,000,000 femtoseconds,” Pinkie spoke up as everyone turned to look at her confused. “What? He was sent to Tartarus one thousand fifty years ago. There are three hundred sixty-five point two five days in a year, twenty-four hours in a day, sixty minutes in an hour, sixty seconds in a minute and one quadrillion femtoseconds in a second.” Pinkie Pie blurted out, as everyone looked at her in utter confusion.

Celestia coughed getting everyone's attention and continued, “Even if turns out that Pinkie is off with her math, that sentence in Tartarus has left him unimaginably weak. Only recently has he gained sufficient might to utilize the dark powers of spell theft.”

Luna stood up from her seat, “But since his escape, he grows stronger with each moment that passes. He must be stopped and the damage he caused reversed as soon as possible,” the night princess looked to everyone present, as to indicate that this was the time for them to offer their console, which was the reason they were summoned to be present in the first place.

Cadance turned to face Twilight, “I know who will stop Tirek,” it was more so out a vote of confidence and assurance of Twilight's abilities as the former bearer of the Element of Magic.

Twilight smiled at this for a second before it shifted to be a stern and resolute expression as she was resolved to face the spell thief, “Yes. I'll find him and–”

“And how do you expect to do that?” It was Blueblood that spoke up. He knew that he wasn’t going to make any friends at the table, not that anyone there counted him as a friend, to begin with. Thus he had nothing to lose and nothing to gain with his challenge of Twilight's plan, “Auntie Celestia and Auntie Luna could not even notice the smallest traces of him until earlier this night from Auntie Celestia’s vision. Not even Kerberos knew Tirek was missing until he was long gone. I know I am considered the most useless person at the table, but we all know who can not only detect Tirek draining magic of a Magicborn but stop him before he has enough power to drain a Skyborn and return all the stolen magic back to their rightful person and even if he were to purposely mess some up, the damage can be corrected easily by any of the four demigoddesses here. Heck, even a skilled enough Magicborn can.”

“Yah can’t be suggestin’ who Ah think yah’re suggestin’?” Applejack slammed her hands on the table.

“I must agree that it is a questionable choice, but who else can detect changes in magic like him?” Blueblood countered the paladin in a very calm and yet... polite manner and tone.

“Then we should have somebody with him and I volunteer to go.” Shining stepped in.

“Oh yes, let’s send a powerful Magicborn to find someone able to drain Magicborn of their magic, what could possibly go wrong?” Blueblood rolled his eyes as he turned to face his cousin-in-law the tone of his voice was in the gray area of being sarcastic and sardonic. Throwing up his hands questioning how Shining reach his rank, aside from his marriage to Cadance, “Honestly, you’re the highest ranking officer of the ESM, one would think you’d have a better grasp on tactic and strategy. No, we must let him do it alone.”

Cadance could not help to roll her eyes at her cousin’s actions. “You’ll forgive us, Cousin Blueblood, that we are hesitant to let him go unchaperoned.” Cadance then turned to look at each of the rest of those at the table, “Someone should go with him.” As she stopped at the druid, “Fluttershy?”

Before Fluttershy could answer, “Sure let’s endanger the one person that he actually has a positive relationship with? For all that we know, Tirek is already powerful enough to drain a Skyborn of their magic, and then he can drain an Earthborn of theirs and it’s only a matter of time before he can drain a demigod of theirs. And what if Tirek captures her, even if he can’t drain her magic, she can be used as leverage to tip the scales in his favor. On top of that what if he does succeed in sending Tirek back with Fluttershy unharmed, how would we know if he didn't do it solely out of love for Fluttershy or because he actually adopted Mystica as his new home? And assuming if it’s the former, what happens when Fluttershy dies? And it’s not like he trusts or is trusted by Applejack or Pinkie Pie. So that rules out sending an Earthborn.”

Everyone was utterly dumbfounded at what Blueblood suggested. No one really knew what to do or to say in response for several seconds. All the while Celestia frowned, it was clear that she was deep in thought about what console was offered to her. For once in his life, Blueblood was actually right, she had almost no other viable options. She gave a huff of frustration, “I'm afraid Blueblood is right, it is not a good option, but it is the best one we have, not only in the short term as the most efficient and effective use of our resources but in the long run. He is right, Fluttershy will not live forever and we need him to want to help us down the road of his own accord. We must call upon him to stop Tirek.” Everyone, even Blueblood, especially Blueblood, was shocked that Celestia that she agreed with him. Celestia remained quiet as it dawned on the others that Blueblood was right, it was not a good option, but it was the best option. After Celestia witnessed the silence acknowledgment on the matter. “I will summon Discord!” Everyone, even Blueblood gasped in response.


The following day, Twilight and her friends were flying back to Magiville on Twilight’s skyboat. They have traveled most of the way from Krystalopolies to Magiville, mostly chatting about how close things were for Magiville, but with the exception of one event that the town fielded a team or solo competitor for, which was all but one event, Magiville did get the gold medal, while also commending the teams from Gryphonstone and Krystalopolies for getting the most silver and bronze and the second and third highest medal count respectively. However, such conversations could only last so long before the elephant in the room made itself known. “Discord! Discord? She want’s Discord to handle this!” Applejack wanted to curse and cuss. She was fuming mad but has thankfully not at the helm.

Twilight happened to be at the helm, she wanted to challenge Applejack and defend Celestia’s decision, but she wasn’t sure how to approach it. Fortunately for her, Fluttershy got up from her seat and walked over to the paladin. After placing her right hand on the paladin’s left shoulder, “I have to admit Blueblood was right with every point he made. Also, Discord can be very helpful when you give him a chance.” Everyone else on the skyboat rolled their eyes in response. Fluttershy knew she would have a hard time convincing everyone that they could trust Discord, but it was like the very mention of the Erisadies’ name brought out the worst of each of her friends as the automatic response. Fluttershy sighed and then continued, “And as an avatar of a primordial force, in this chase chaos, he can detect changes in the balance of the world, in particular, those he hasn’t made. The next time Tirek tries to steal a person’s magic, Discord will be right there and stop Tirek there and then.”

“And once Tirek’s captured, Twilight, Cadance, Luna, and Celestia will cast judgment and sentence him to whatever. So what are we supposed to do until Discord finds Tirek?” Rainbow asked. She was clearly bored out of her mind.

Twilight sighed at first, “Nothing. Maybe smile and wave for something.” Twilight frowned sadly as she looked away from the path of her flight.

Everyone else looked at each other nervously, none of them knew how to comfort their friend. Spike elected to look over the side of the skyboat and see where they were going. He swiftly noted that while they seemed to be heading to Magiville, Twilight’s stirring seemed to have the skyboat drift between arriving in Magiville or the Castle of the Two Sisters. “If I might ask, where exactly are we going? Because you seem to be drifting, Twilight.”

“I was planning to drop everyone off at the Golden Oak before heading to the Castle of the Two Sisters. It’s not like I am needed elsewhere,” Twilight then started to correct her skyboat's path towards Magiville ending the drifting. After some thought to justify her want to the Castle of The Two Sisters, “I have read all the books in the Golden Oak and in my personal collection thrice, might as well read what I can from the library there before they ship all the books to Chantalot.” She then put on a smile, an obviously fake smile.

Everyone looked at each other, none of them believing that Twilight was actually going to read. Rainbow Dash elected to be the one to speak up as she hovered over to her friend and placed her right hand on Twilight’s right shoulder, “You look like you could use some company, Twi. We’re all going to the castle. So step aside and let me stir.”

Twilight could tell that she was not going to shake off of friends at this moment and maybe that was a good thing, “Maybe you’re right about it.” Twilight smiled as she took a seat, once seated she was hugged by Pinkie Pie. She never said it and would never say it, but she needed her friends.


After an hour or so they arrived at Castle of the Two Sisters, which had been mostly taken down, leaving only the library and the parts of the castle still attached to it remaining. Rainbow docked the skyboat in the area that functioned as the hold skyboat docking bay. As the six women and one dragon disembarked they noticed that the deconstruction crew was taking a break. Before heading to the library, “You know what would probably fix this lickity-split? the Elements of Harmony.” Spike commented. Seeing how the six looked to the floor, “Man this is not my week is it?” he asked rhetorically as he went on ahead.

Everyone gave a depressed sigh as they looked to the ledge where the cave in which the Tree of Harmony resided, “Still can't believe that we had to give the Tree back the Elements. They would be so useful. Zap Tirek, return the balance of magic, bing-bang-done.”

Rarity placed her right hand on Rainbow’s left shoulder, “We know that it had to be done. If we didn’t, then the Tree of Harmony would have died, and very likely even worse things would have been allowed to happen.”

Everyone first shivered at the terrifying thought that something worse could happen if the Tree of Harmony dies and then looked to the ground still feeling powerless about the situation. This wasn’t like when Nightmare Moon returned, they had a plan then. Nor was this like when Discord broke free, he wasn’t anywhere near as stealthy. Nor was it like with Chrysalis, they weren’t against an army and they were only narrowly beaten. Nor was this like with Sombra, they at least had something that they knew would work. Fluttershy, however, seemed to the be the only one not so dower. She knew they weren’t powerless, “But Twilight was right then and these past few months only confirm that she was.” Everyone looked up and turned to the druid. “We no longer have the Elements anymore, but our friendship is still here and is stronger than ever as we have branched out to make new friends,” Fluttershy turned to Rarity, “Rarity, you showed Coco that being a good person was still an option for her to make a living in the fashion industry,” She then turned to Rainbow Dash, “Dashie, you showed Spitfire who you are, and even though it likely cost you the gold, it was worth it,” Fluttershy then turned to Pinkie, “Pinkie, you came to terms that there are some people that are better than you at party-throwing, like Cheese Sandwich, but that doesn’t stop you from throwing your best into a party,” Fluttershy then turned to Applejack, “Applejack, Silver Shill would not have become the man he is without you standing for what was right.” Fluttershy then thought back to herself, “And while forcing the Breezies to leave was hard, Seabreeze has become a better leader in turn.” This brought much-needed joy to the rest. “So, perhaps a group hug?”

Everyone huddled into a group hug, for nothing else, it was to show their mutual support to each other. As the hug ended, Applejack looked to the north, still thinking about how Celestia decided to send Discord to confront Tirek, “Yeah, but Ah hope another 'friend' doesn’t make us regret givin’ up the Elements in the first place.”

Off to the east, they all heard a familiar laugh, “You must be talking about me.” The six women turned to see a man come floating to them while holding an umbrella, wearing a ladies hat and scarf. The man’s skin was a dullish brown-gray with white hair shaped as the horns, his left hand with longer nails than most men, giving a talon-like appearance, compounded by the fact that his shirt’s sleeve ended above the elbow. His right hand and arm were in a yellow gauntlet that went all the way to his shoulder and looked not unlike a lion’s foreleg. He had a blue colored bird wing themed pauldron over his left shoulder and a purple bat-like wing theme for his right shoulder. His right leg was armored like the gauntlet on his right arm but was green in color and looked like a lizard’s leg. His left leg was for the most part normal but the design of his boot had a goat-like hoof looking toe. He wore light brown pants, a waistcoat that’s exterior was a more reddish brown than his pants with a long tail which seemed to be redder and a high collar with gold lining it and where the coat connected in the front.

Everyone but Fluttershy rolled their eyes as the man snapped his fingers and the lady’s hat, scarf and umbrella vanished in a flash of white light. “Ah can’t possibly know how'd yah guess, Discord.” Applejack deadpanned, her voice dripping with sarcasm after she finished her eye-roll.

The recently identified Discord pointed to his ears, on them were small fires, “I think my ears being ablaze was the biggest clue.” He then snapped his fingers conjuring a bucket with the word ‘GASOLINE’ written on it. It then splashed onto his head putting out the fire. Discord giving one of his many standard smirks all the while

As Discord dried himself off and vanished the bucket with a snap of his fingers, everyone else shook their head in frustration save Fluttershy who giggled a little, getting the joke Discord acted out. That giggling was lost on nobody, but no one was going to press the matter, they all turned to Discord each wanting to ask the question, but they weren’t sure how to. The five started to play a game of Rock-Papers-Scissors, Rainbow Dash was the first out. The Elementalists turned to Discord, “So, why are you here? Don’t you have a job to do?”

Discord reappeared seated in a tall back chair, wearing drawing room robes, a set of reading glasses and had a smoking pipe that blew out bubbles. In his hands was the group’s journal with various bookmarks “A bit of light reading.” Discord then snapped his fingers and everything vanished as he was dressed in a green three-star general uniform with a round helmet and a corncob pipe in his mouth. He pulled out of nowhere the flag of Mystica, which depicted Celestia and Luna with the sun and moon circling a flag that was a harmonious union of the banner of the Earth Republic, Magicborn Kingdom and Conferadtion of the Sky. “I have to do my research before heading off on my mission to capture a notorious Tartarian escapee.”

Spike had doubled-back when he heard Discord laugh upon the Erisadies’ entrance, but had remained quiet electing to watch and silence until this point. Crossing his arms in disapproval of Discord’s smugness about the situation, “So you can detect when and where Tirek uses his powers, big deal.”

Discord leaned down and blew a bubble from his pipe that encompassed the dragon in a ball, “ That’s right, Spiky, mi’boy.” Straightening himself back up and taking a stick. “This is a big deal. My magical disturbance detection ability grants me quite the role in Mystica.” Discord then popped the bubble Spike was in, causing the dragon to fall to the ground before vanishing in a flash of white light before reappearing with pink wings on his back and a large ridiculously looking purple crown on his head, “Perhaps I should be a demigods princess too, I would quite the addition to the family.” After his little speech Discord blew kisses with a ‘Mmwah!’ and a ‘Mmwah!’ While the six young women and dragon also heard disembodied cheering.

“Ha! That’s never gonna happen, not even in your weirdest of dreams!” Rainbow Dash declared at the Erisadies’ antics’

Fluttershy giggled at all this, knowing Discord better than the others, as Discord reverted back to his usual form, “Oh, Dashie.” After she finished her giggling, “Discord doesn’t dream of stuff like that, and Princess Luna can attest to that.” Fluttershy then closed her eyes and giggled at the thought, “Discord a demigod princess, You are very funny, Discord.”

“Ha, ha, the court jester told a joke at the expense of the princesses.” Applejack mocked laughed being fed up with the actions of the embodiment of chaos. “Say Discothèque, don’t yah have a fugitive tah hunt down?” Everyone could tell that the paladin wanted Discord to leave and get on his assignment.

Discord simply brushed himself off dismissing the paladin's tone like dust on his coat. “Of course.” Discord then vanish taking every one of the seven into the ravine and the cave where the Tree of Harmony resided “But I couldn't help but notice that Twilight’s chest remains unopened. It got me thinking,”

“That would require a few more brain cells than you have ever demonstrated processing at any point in the past.” Rarity jabbed speaking to the others covering her mouth with the palm and fingers of her left hand.

Pinkie giggled at that before she gave her own commentary, listing them off with one hand with fingers seeming to appear out of nowhere after the fifth item, “Yeah, underestimating the Elements of Harmony the first time around with Celestia and Luna, hiding the Elements where we can find them, giving Twilight another go at hearing your riddle of where you hid the Elements, not noticing that we were no longer discord-ed, not learning to dodge since the last time the Elements blasted you, thinking that Fluttershy couldn’t convince you to be her friend, and getting yourself exposed to a sick tatzelwurm’s mucus.” Everyone blinked in utter horror at the poly-digited hand of the jester, even Discord’s jaw dropped to the ground literally. Once she finished her list, Pinkie Pie lowered her hand and it was normal. However, she had a little more to add, “And that’s giving you the benefit of the plundervines plan working even though it took almost a thousand years longer than you expected…”

“Thank you for reminding me, Miss Pie.” Discord said as he realigned his lower jaw.

Pinkie was dressed in a coconut palm skirt and top, her arms, legs, torso covered in black tattoos that were in a style not found anywhere that the others knew. As she started to dance it with her arms out in mostly a style of dance from the same place as the tattoos, “What can I say expect ‘You’re Welcomed’ For the tides, the….” Pinkie then covered her mouth and was once again in her usual clothes, cap and all, “Oopies, my bad! Disney copyrighted that.”

Discord shook his head before he continued as he looked at the box, “Well if I may, I was thinking that perhaps what's locked inside can help Twilight prove her worth as a princess.” Discord then turned from the box back to Twilight et al. “I bring it up because she's been feeling that her new state as a princess hasn’t amounted to much.”

Pinkie Pie held up her left hand and shook it, “Hold on a second!” Placing her left hand on her chest and gesturing to the rest of the group with her right, “We all know how Twilight was feeling that way because we’ve been with Twilight aall~ week long in Krystalopolies for the Mystica Games, the trip there, a few other things up there and the flight here! How do you know that?! Most of us haven’t seen you since the tatzelwurm thing.”

Discord’s expression turned from one that was pretty much said, ‘So much for being a princess’ to one of hurt and shock and confusion as he scratched his head in confusion, “But I thought eavesdropping was the best way to find out what your closest friends are up to.” Everyone, even Fluttershy glared at him. Swiftly he started to fane guilt and sorrow as he leaned back and walked to the box, “Oh woe is me.” The mockery in his sad voice was unmistakable as he dropped to his knees and started to shed crocodile tears as he looked at the box and then to the tree… his tears were literal crocodiles, “Will I never learn the nuances of friendship?” Discord then straighten himself and vanished the crocodiles that he cried before he cleared his throat, “But in all seriousness, it’s time for me to make my exit.” Over Discord's attire appeared biker gloves, a leather jacket a scarf the Wonderbolts wear as he lowered a go-cart helmet onto his head as he stepped onto a scooter and started it before riding off.

As soon as he was out of sight, “And God Speed!” Applejack was not actually trying to bless Discord, but she wanted the Erisadies as far away as possible.

As Applejack took a sigh of relief, Discord reappeared walking out from under Applejack’s stetson, holding the group’s shared journal in both his hands, in the book were five bookmarks, one orange, one cyran, one yellow, one pink and one alabaster, each at a different angle and on different pages, “Oopsie-doopsie, I almost left without returning the book, don’t want another late book fine.” He then opened it as he walked over to Twilight shimming through it again. “Quite the little journal you've all been keeping. It’s been a fascinating read. I am sure KK is proud of you girls, keeping up your studies, even though you don’t have to her send any more reports.” After he closed the book he turned it to give Twilight a better view of the bookmarking better, “I've bookmarked what stroke me as the more interesting passages.” He then placed in on her focus gem, “You really should take a look!” He then vanished and reappeared on Fluttershy’s shoulder in the shape of a butterfly, “So tea is still Tuesday this week, Fluttershy?” He asked as he floated to the druid’s ear.

Fluttershy giggled a little as Discord floated in front of her, “I even got a few new blends for us to try.”

Discord then returned to his usual form and size and started to walk away, “I'll bring the sandwiches...!” he singsong as he opened a ‘door’ in reality and walked through it into a realm beyond, slamming the door shut behind him.

Before anyone could make a comment about Discord and his actions, as Twilight took the group journal off of her focus gem Fluttershy spoke up, “You know he was right about Twilight misinterpreting the riddle to find the Elements, he could be right about on how we have gone about opening the box.” Everyone had to agree with Fluttershy on this as they reluctantly nodded before they all looked at the box. Fluttershy had another thought, “Maybe one actual set down reading the books in the library will help us find the answers we seek, it worked with Sombra.”

Twilight looked out of the cave as a smile of confidence formed on her face, “Then let’s find out.


About three hours later, Twilight et al were still in the library scanning through the few books that remained, all the while those that they finished were collected by the workers there to be shipped out so that the deconstruction of the Castle of the Two Sisters would be completed in a matter of days as only the library and the parts of the castle dependant on its walls for support were all that was left of the once majestic castle. Twilight finished the book she read and then turned to everyone else, “Anything?” They all replied with various ‘no’s. Twilight was about to turn to another book, “There has to be something that will help us figure out how to open that box. I know it!”

Before anyone could groan not looking forward to maybe spending the night reading, “Delivery for a Princess Twilight, her familiar and her ladies-in-waiting, we got bedrolls, a twelve-person tent, food, and water.” The group turned to see four people enter the library, three of the four were younger girls, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo and Apple Bloom and one was a Skyborn man dressed in the standard issued gold colored armor of the ESM with blue hair and blue eyes. On his back was a bronze colored figure-of-eight styled heater shield with a four-point star with stylized wings above an olive branch etched into it and along his waist was an arm-sword in its scabbard. He was the one to speak and carry most of the items.

“Wah came tah help ya'll find what yahr looking for. Mr. Sentry was nice enough tah help.” Apple Bloom said as she took the tent from Flash and started to set it up.

“Well, maybe we can pull an all-nighter after all.” Rarity commented as she helped Sweetie Belle prepare some of the provisions into a meal pleasing both to the tongue and eye.

This was not lost on Twilight as she mouthed a ‘Thanks’ to Flash, Flash, in turn, mouthed a ‘No Problem’ as he started to unpack and set everything else up.