• Published 31st Jan 2017
  • 1,642 Views, 46 Comments

Flutter and Emerald - markzilla6895

  • ...
11
 46
 1,642

The New Kid

Flutter Heart sighed as she approached the front doors of Canterlot High School. Being the new student wasn’t always the best thing in the world, but this time, it felt like more than the worst thing. Having grown up in the country most of her life, her parents’ decision to move to the big city of Canterlot hit her world like a ton of bricks and subsequently shattered it. Now as she entered the school, she took a deep breath and approached the locker with the number written on the card she was holding. Walking down the halls, trying to avoid eye contact, she accidentally bumped into someone walking in the opposite direction.

“Ow, ow, ow!” She saw that she dropped her bag in the confusion.

“No, it’s my fault,” a male voice replied. Flutter looked up to see a boy about her age holding up her bag. He had green hair with white stripes, blue eyes and a kind smile on his face. Flutter blushed as he handed her the bag. “My name’s Emerald Peace by the way.”

“F-F-Flutter Heart…” She managed to say. She adjusted her blue hair before looking at her locker number again.

“You have 712?” Emerald asked.

“Oh? Uh, yeah… why?”

“I have the locker right next to yours!” He beamed. Flutter was dumbfounded at this boy’s kindness. “Wanna walk together?”

“I… guess?” Flutter was being overwhelmed with panic as Emerald took her hand and led her down the hall. Arriving at their lockers, Flutter managed to open hers and place her books inside.

“So this your first day?” Emerald asked, having just shut his locker.

“Um, yes…” Flutter looked away to avoid the attention she was getting from this student. He gently moved her head back to facing him.

“Hey, it’s alright to be nervous. I was the same way when I started coming here.”

“I see…” Before Emerald could continue, the bell rang and the students began to head to homeroom.

“I’ll see you after school then,” he called out as she hurried to class.


At the end of the day, Flutter noticed Emerald was waiting for her outside the entrance.

“Hey, Flutter,” he smiled. “Wanna walk home together?”

“B-But you don’t know where I live…” she started.

“I actually saw you move in the house across from ours yesterday.”

“…oh.”

“So you’re new to Canterlot?”

“Yeah, we’re from the country…” she whispered the last part as if she was ashamed.

“That’s pretty neat,” Emerald smiled. “I just live with my mother and younger sister. My dad kinda upped and left when I was five.”

“I’m sorry to hear that…”

“Nah, it’s fine. So you got any family?”

“Well, I’m an only child, but my parents work all the time so I rarely get to spend time with them…” she sighed sadly.

“Well, how about you spend the day with us? It must be hard to stay at home alone all the time.”

“Um… I think I’ll pass…” she sounded half-sure about the offer.

“Hey, we’re here!” Emerald beamed. Flutter looked at her house and saw no cars were in the driveway, meaning her parents were already at work. She looked back at Emerald and saw him enter the house. Sighing as she walked towards her own, Flutter fished out the key in her backpack, and inserted it into the lock. Heading inside, she saw the moving boxes were still scattered around the house, unopened. Flutter smiled a little before going upstairs to her new room. Setting the bag down by her desk, she fell face first onto the bed, its soft mattress cushioning her fall.


A few hours later, Flutter awoke to the smell of dinner being made. Knowing this meant at least her mom was home, she quickly scurried downstairs, carefully weaving around the boxes as she did.

“Hello there, hon,” Flutter’s mother, Sweet Heart, smiled as she turned the stove off. Sweet was the splitting image of her daughter with the exception of her eyes which were dark blue instead of light green. She was the reason they had to move to the city as she was offered a new job at one of those corporations, run by some big name mogul appropriately named Filthy Rich.

“How was the first day at the office?” Flutter asked as she sat down at the table.

“It was fine, my new coworkers were nice,” her mother replied as she set a bowl of ramen in front of Flutter. She knew her daughter was addicted to the stuff and hoped it would help her ease into their new home. “How was school? Meet anyone?”

“Oh, um, this guy who lives across the street showed me around the school,” Flutter said, blushing a little for some reason.

“A guy, you say?” Sweet was now smirking, her romantic side taking over.

“I-It’s not like that!” The now embarrassed Flutter buried her head in her bowl. The sound of a car engine interrupted their conversation.

“Ah, Starfoot’s home,” Sweet grinned. A man in his forties came into the dining room and kissed his wife on the cheek. He had brown hair, black eyes, and a weary smile on his face.

“You find a job?” Sweet asked, gently stroking her husband’s face.

“It doesn’t pay much, but hey, work is work.”


That night, Flutter was dressed in her pajamas as she stretched before climbing into bed. From the corner of her eye, she saw a light on the second floor of the house across the street was on. A figure then stepped in front of the window. Flutter recognized it was Emerald.

“He must be getting ready for bed as well…” she thought to herself as she noticed he was shirtless. “Though it’s weird he isn’t wearing a shirt on a cold night like this…” She turned off her light and got under the covers just as Sweet came in to say good night.

“Hey, I know it’s going to be a hard couple of weeks, but we’ll get through this. We always have,” she kissed her daughter’s forehead and left the room. Flutter slowly but surely drifted off into dreamland.


“Welcome, welcome, welcome!” An energetic pink-haired girl sang to Flutter’s half-asleep form at the entrance to school the next day. The sudden loudness in her ears snapped the new girl awake as she looked at the girl singing and dancing in front of the school for her.

“Okay, this is making the country look normal…” she sighed mentally as she walked past the pink girl, whose puffy hair somehow deflated itself.

“…she didn’t acknowledge my song?” she sniffled a little.

“I think that overwhelmed her, Pinkie,” a red-and-yellow haired girl noted. “I better go talk to her.” She hurriedly followed Flutter Heart inside.

At her locker, Flutter was looking for Emerald as he was the only friend she had currently.

“Hey there,” the girl’s voice caught her off-guard. Flutter turned around to see her smiling softly.

“Sorry if I scared you. My name’s Sunset, Sunset Shimmer,” she held out her hand. Flutter nervously took it and shook it.

“I-I’m Flutter Heart,” she stammered as she fiddled with her locker door.

“You remind me of my friend, Fluttershy,” Sunset chuckled. “Both in name and shyness.”

“I-I’m not normally this shy,” Flutter protested. “Y-You just took me by surprise.”

“Again, sorry bout that. So you’re new here?”

“Just started yesterday,” Flutter’s heart started to beat a little slower as she began to calm down.

“That’s cool,” Sunset smiled as Emerald joined them.

“Hey, Sunset,” the green-haired boy grinned as he hugged her. “And hello, Flutter.” He quickly gave the new girl a hug, causing her to blush.

“I see you’ve met Emerald already,” Sunset smiled. “He’s one of the friendliest people here at Canterlot High.”

“I think Pinkie Pie is friendlier,” Emerald rubbed the back of his head in embarrassment.

“I’m guessing she’s the singing girl?” Flutter asked.

“So you met her already,” the boy sighed. “I know she can be a bit… intense when meeting new people but she means well.”

“You don’t say…” Flutter smiled a little as the bell rang. Perhaps moving to a new home and school wasn’t bad after all…