• Published 30th Jan 2017
  • 534 Views, 25 Comments

By Grace - TheAmazingMe



With a varied background, Grace manages to find himself with strange friends. Some good and others not. He'll have to discern for himself; by trial, by error, and by grace. Thanks to PonyJosiah13

  • ...
 25
 534

Chapter 9: Grace is Enough Part 1

Their limbs were still tangled together with the sheets, leading Grace to briefly wonder how he was going to get up without waking the other stallion. Sunlight had crept in through the curtains to illuminate Juri's jawline. Grace watched the motes floating in the ray of light above Juri's face and his imagination turned to faeries and sprites dancing over his sleeping special somepony. Juri's slow breathing drew Grace's attention next and the stallion laid his head against Juri's chest to hear the steady beating of his heart. Grace couldn't help but marvel that such a peacefully slumbering, near-angelic wonder of a pony was really his. All his.

"I have to pee. Are you done being sappy?" Juri asked, blearily. "Don't think I didn't notice you staring at me for, like, ever."

"Way to ruin the mood. And I'm first." Grace said impudently, fighting the sheets to escape the bed first and claim the bathroom.

"Like tartarus!" Juri snarled, doing his best to hinder Grace's efforts to reach the bathroom first.

"I was awake first!" Grace complained as he got all fours on the ground, only to have Juri jump on his back. Grace sprawled out on the floor, not having anticipated the other stallions' weight.

"I had more water than you did last night! I'm gonna burst!" Juri replied as he crawled over Grace. Grace flipped onto his back and grabbed Juri's sides.

"Stop or I tickle you!" Grace threatened.

"Tickle me and I pee on you!" Juri warned.

"Eww, I didn't know you were into that." Grace said snarkily, earning himself a light tap on the nose. Grace released Juri, who walked over him and bolted into the bathroom.

"Keep those thoughts to yourself, weirdo." Juri said as he closed the door.

Finishing their normal morning routine without further rough-horsing, the pair made their way to the kitchen and chatted amicably as they prepared breakfast together.

"Not that I'm eager to never see you, but when does the next phase of your criminology study begin?" Grace asked as he sliced fresh bread for thick toast.

Juri sighed as he studied the silverware. "Next week. The statisticians are really eager to continue. They're especially keen on going into survey certain...incarcerated individuals. They want to see which variables they can manipulate to have the broadest impact as far as prevention."

"You sound less-than-enthused about the prospect." Grace commented as he mixed together eggs, cinnamon, melted butter and milk.

"Oh no, why wouldn't I be thrilled to visit a prison and talk to the roughest ponies around? Especially when..." Juri drifted off. The meaning was clear; Juri still wasn't back to normal. Grace hadn't spent a year on the sea without learning to spot the warning signs of an impending storm. He felt confident that he was well-braced for any weather.

"Juristic," Grace began carefully, "I know you really haven't felt up to it since our fight, but maybe you need to introduce yourself more slowly back into pony society. Keeping cooped up here won't do you any favors in the long run."

Juri took a breath and held it a moment before letting it out slowly. "I'm just not ready right now."

Grace brought breakfast over to the table, setting the serving plate down gently in his magic as he wrapped his hooves around Juri's neck from behind. "It doesn't have to be today. But soon, my love."

"Soon." Juri agreed. "Just let me get there in my own time, okay?"

"Okay. I promise." Grace replied as Juri kissed the place where Grace's hooves crossed. Juri was so wrapped up in the sweetness of the moment, he didn't quite realize the significance of the hooves crossed in front of him. Grace hadn't specifically meant to be dishonest, but the thought was in the back of his mind. The gears were already working on a plan of his own to help his lover.


"Stallions and Gentlemares! Warming the stage before our headliner, please welcome Kick Petal and Amazing Grace!"

To really sell the 'Amazing' bit, Grace used part of his pay on buying a new instrument; a double-neck guitar. Kick came out first, starting up a drum solo that really got everypony's attention. As she made the final rimshot, Grace slid across the stage and grabbed the double-neck sitting at center. Spinning around, he got the strap over himself and started a run up the bass neck, transitioning to the regular neck flawlessly. Kick answered the challenge by rattling off a complicated drum sequence. Grace's hooves slid over the strings as he responded. They continued their game of one-upping each other until they made the transition into their first song.

Grace kept an eye out on a particular member of this crowd. Juri had finally finished the first part of his criminology study and was looking fine in his suit. Another portion of Grace's money had been spent on the outfit he had on, a deep blue jacket with white shirt and matching hat. The song ended with Grace holding the last note with exuberance. Juri rushed the stage, forgetting propriety for a moment to share a passionate kiss...

...at which point Grace woke up from the dream he was having and groaned softly. In truth, he'd been trying to get Juri to come to a show, or even go outside for more than just a little walk once a day. Juri blamed his skittishness on returning to a proper routine with his medication, but Grace had his doubts. Although he'd studied the criminal mind, Grace had studied the average pony, albeit in a less formal setting. And all his experience led Grace to believe that Juri was afraid.

To his credit, Grace lasted another three days before attempting to broach the subject. In the time between, Grace made preparations for a special surprise for Juri and worked out some time with Sunny to plan around a little vacation. On the fourth morning after Grace last tried to get Juri out of the boathouse, Grace awoke early. Keeping as quiet as possible, Grace made breakfast in bed for his special somepony.

"Juri..." Grace practically purred in Juri's ear. Given how the stallion had been trying in vain to pretend he wasn't awake, the irritated flick of his ear was to be expected. Cracking open one lid, Juri took a deep breath through his nostrils. Wafting on the slight breeze in the room, the scent of pancakes and syrup hit his senses with all the subtlety of a careening carriage. All of the alarm bells in Juri's head went off.

Sitting upright, Juri stared at Grace with unusual intensity. "What did you do?"

Grace's ears flicked forward in surprise. "What? What are you talking about?"

Juri looked pointedly at the tray of breakfast floating in the hold of Grace's magic. "It's not my birthday. It's not any sort of anniversary. So why are you trying to butter me up for breakfast in bed?"

Chuckling, Grace set the tray down over Juri's lap. "Can't fool you, huh? I suppose I should just be direct. Go ahead and eat, I made enough for both of us."

Turning his gaze back down at the food, Juri realized Grace wasn't kidding. The stack of pancakes, the bowl of berries, and even the glass of orange juice was enough for both of them. The juice even had two straws!

Picking up a fork, Juri began to start on his pancakes. Not to be distracted, he looked back at Grace and prompted him. "Well, go ahead and try to talk me into whatever hare-brained scheme you have planned."

Grace sighed, a smile overtaking his features in spite of the concerted effort to ruin the atmosphere. "Well, since you insist. I went out yesterday and got everything ready for a little date."

Juri set his fork down. "What part of 'in my own time' did you not get? Grace, I can't handle..."

Holding a hoof up, Grace interjected. "I know, which hasn't made this easy. Luckily, there's a beach north of here that doesn't get much traffic, even in summer. Sunny owns a little beach house up there and so the strip of shoreline is only ever used by the neighbors. Should be quiet enough to not set you off."

Picking his fork back up warily, Juri stabbed the stack of pancakes and brought a forkload up. "Not that I'm saying yes, but, how would we be getting up there?"

"Hired a carriage. Enclosed, so it won't be over-stimulating." Grace answered readily.

"Wait you already hired the carriage? Confident much?" Juri asked.

"My pancakes are just that good, love." Grace replied, kissing Juri's forehead.

Frowning in mock severity, Juri picked his fork back up and huffed. "Well, I will be the judge of that. Now stop stealing all the blueberries!"


The sound of the sea against the shore by now was almost as natural and unnoticeable to the pair of stallions as their own breathing. Even so, there was something innately special about that same sound as they stood on an unfamiliar shore. Grace's heart felt open and free; he could only hope that Juri felt the same. Juri's face was peaceful, his eyes closed as if he were asleep standing up. His ears were the only clue that he wasn't; Juri's ears flicked to and fro occasionally to catch one sound or another.

At length, Juri opened his eyes slowly. "I suppose a beach date and a night on solid ground will be good. Won't have the same feel when we try to sleep, but I trust your hooves will feel the same."

"We can test that out." Grace said playfully, nipping at Juri's ear.

A smirk spread across Juri's features. "Later. First things first, did you bring the sunscreen?"

Grace huffed slightly. "I did."

After a beat, Juri let out a short laugh. "Well, unless you want to look like me, except in pain, then I suggest you apply some sunscreen. Honestly, with your nighttime tendencies and pale coat, I'm surprised you don't burn more often."

Grace pouted. "That's what my coat is supposed to be for. But no, I had to take after my mother and have a white, short coat. Although I'd probably overheat more if I'd taken after dad. His was shaggy and tan."

"Well, taking after your mother certainly explains a few of your behaviors." Juri joked. At Grace's sour expression, Juri nudged him with his nose. "No, I'm not serious about all that gender role nonsense. I like a stallion who can cook, sing, and occasionally take his head out of his own plot long enough to do other more pleasurable things with it."

Grace mulled the last bit over. "Wait. Do you mean doing pleasurable things with my head or my..."

Before Grace could finish his question, Juri put a hoof over his mouth and smiled. "Tell you what, why don't I spread the sunscreen on you myself. Help you get all those hard-to-reach places?"

With a speed that surprised his partner, Grace retrieved the sunscreen bottle. Knowingly, Juri looked at Grace from the tips of his perked ears to the swish in his tail. "Well, somepony looks suddenly excited. It hasn't been that longs since my hooves were caressing your coat."

"Less talking, more touching." Grace demanded playfully.

Juri rolled his eyes as he took possession of the bottle. Grace quickly set out the large beach blanket, umbrella, and cooler. Flopping down on the blanket, Grace craned his neck around to look at Juri like an eager puppy. Juri laughed, taking this excitement in good humor, and set to putting his hooves to work. "No moaning, okay? Let's not make this weird."

Grace sighed gustily. "Okay."

In a fit of orneriness, Juri squirted a generous amount directly onto Grace's back. Crying out in dismay, Grace protested. "Hey! You could warm it up a little first!"

"I could, but you need to cool down a bit first." Juri bantered.

Grace would have argued further, but Juri set to spreading the sunscreen. Rubbing in the lotion, Juri took it a bit further to give Grace a little massage. "That good?"

"You'd know it was if I was allowed to moan. I've actually had a knot right there in my back. Stress, probably." Grace replied.

"No moaning. Use your words." Juri warned. "What's stressing you out?"

Grace sighed as Juri applied more pressure to the problem area. "Well, just all the little things adding up, I guess. I have a tendency to blow things out of proportion sometimes. Especially when all the information I have leads me to a worst case scenario. Which I then prepare for."

"And in that preparation, you psyche yourself out. Yeah, I can see that being stressful. New ventures are tough, but ultimately, I have confidence in your ability to cope with different situations." Juri said, reassuringly.

Stopping to add some more lotion (as well as warming it up in his hooves first), Juri turned his attention to Grace's flanks. In black, the familiar facing bass clefs stood in stark contrast to the white coat around it. It was a bold symbol, not unlike the boldness that Grace showed on the odd occasion. Grace smiled and settled his head onto his forehooves as Juri traced the mark on both sides gently.

"Um, hi?" A higher tenor voice called out. Grace and Juri both whipped their heads to their right, where a pair of stallions stood just a few yards away. The one who called out gave a timid wave. He was a red unicorn with black points on all four legs and his muzzle. His mane was mostly black, save for a shock of white just to one side of his horn. His partner stood a few inches taller; his coat was a sky blue with a mane as white as clouds. The sky-blue stallion was an earth pony, his white muzzle held a big toothy smile. "Sorry to bother you, but my husband and I are getting a little bored playing with ourselves."

"Life meant by ourselves." The blue earther corrected.

Life, the unicorn, got impossibly redder around the cheeks. "Yes. By ourselves. Would you care to join us for a little volley ball?"

Juri spoke up first. "I'm not particularly sporty."

"Oh good, you can be on Div's side. He's a Royal Guard, so he needs someone less sporty to keep it fair." Life said, good-naturedly. He turned his head to address Grace. "What do you say, Bass of Hearts?"

"You just want to have a game of unicorns vs earth ponies." Div said in mock accusation.

"Don't whine just because you'd lose to the unicorn master race." Life said, challengingly.

"Oh, that's just asking for it! C'mon, Book Weigher, let's show these unicorns what Earth ponies can do." Div called out to Juri.

"Are we really going to get involved in this couple's taunt battle?" Juri asked as Grace stood up.

"Oh, it'll be fun. The banter between these two alone would make it well worth the effort. Besides, we have to tell them our real names sometime. Although Bass of Hearts sounds like a great name." Grace replied.

Juri shook his head and led the way to the volleyball net. "Book Weigher is decidedly less cool."

"So what are your real names?" Life asked, falling in step with the pair. Div followed close behind.

"I'm Grace and this is Juri." Grace said.

"How do you end up with a name like Grace?" Life asked.

Grace rolled his eyes. "How do you end up with a name like Div?"

Div smiled and leaned in. "Sogni DiVolare. It's Bitalian. It means..."

Life cut him off and stepped between Div and Grace. "You're married."

"This was your idea." Div pouted.

"Yeah, don't make me regret it." Life said.

To cut the awkward tension, Grace piped up. "Graceful Bass. That's the full name. My mother named me while my father was snowed in the house. By the time he thawed his way out, the name was stuck."

"That is the most hillbillygoat thing I've heard." Div said, to Life's indignant frustrated moan. Juri didn't look particularly thrilled with the comment either.

Grace took it in good humor. "I grew up in the mountains north of Vanhoover. I've got quite a few 'hillbillygoat' stories."

"Well, let's see what a country-fried hick knows about beach volleyball." Div said as he took his place. Life lightly punched Div's shoulder on his way past.

"Be nice, Div." Life said, warningly.

"You sure about this?" Juri asked.

"They seem nice enough. We'll play a little and then do our own thing. Okay?" Grace gave Juri a quick hug as the stallion nodded.

Grace took a look around as the other stallions got into position. Life levitated the beach ball over from a nearby umbrella. Div tensed, waiting to spring while Juri looked on, unsure of himself. Grace tried to give Juri a reassuring smile before the game got underway.

Author's Note:

Ready, set, SPIKE :moustache:

No, not that Spike!