• Published 30th Jan 2017
  • 534 Views, 25 Comments

By Grace - TheAmazingMe



With a varied background, Grace manages to find himself with strange friends. Some good and others not. He'll have to discern for himself; by trial, by error, and by grace. Thanks to PonyJosiah13

  • ...
 25
 534

Chapter 12: Grace Period

Every day for a week, Juri left the house and came back with loads of work from the college. On every one of those nights, ‘Professor Juri,’ as Grace had started calling this facet of Juri’s personality, came home and overstayed his welcome.

After three tense conversations with this unpleasant facet of Juri’s personality, Grace started leaving for work early. Four days of coming into the Lemonlight before sunset, Grace found himself in Sunset’s office.

“Trouble at home?” Sunset asked, passing a glass of tea over to Grace’s side of the desk.

“You could say that.” Grace picked up the glass and took a sip.

“I didn’t bring you in here to hear what I could say.” Sunset sighed.

Grace shook his head. “I’ll find something else to do before I come in if that’s the problem, sir.”

Sunset shrugged. “It’s not a problem, Grace. I’m not worried about you as your boss, I’m worried about you as a friend.”

“It’s not my issue to share, Sunny,” Grace admitted.

Sunset stared at him intently. “Then whose issue is it?”

Grace threw up his hooves and snorted. “It’s just something I’m trying to figure out about... somepony I thought I knew well.”

A knock at Sunset’s door interrupted our conversation. “Grace? One of the guys said you’d be in here.”

Sunset lifted an eyebrow and walked to the door. Ushering Juri in, he excused himself to give us some space.

“You haven’t been home the last few nights.” Juri fidgeted with his front hooves as he sat in the chair next to me.

“Neither have you,” Grace said pointedly. “Do you even remember what our last few conversations have been like?”

Juri shook his head. “Look, I’m just under a lot of stress and it’s been getting to me. Can’t you take me and my problems?”

Grace sighed. “I thought I could. Back when your problems made sense. I don’t understand how you can come home with such a different personality.”

Juri looked down at his hooves. “I haven’t changed, Grace.”

Grace scooted his chair back. “How can you even say that? Are you seriously going to deny you even have a problem?”

Juri looked up sharply. “I am taking my medicine, I’m seeing a doctor once a month. I’m doing everything I can to address my problems.”

Grace jerked his head back. “What, really? Why haven’t you told me any of this?”

Juri glared into Grace’s eyes. “Because this is my problem. Not yours.” He stood up and headed for the door.

“Your personality changes. Have you told your doctor that?” Grace asked.

Juri whipped around. “As far as I can tell the only personality changes around here have been from you!”

“If you can’t even admit that, then how are you actually taking care of it? Do you think I’m making it up?” Grace asked, incredulously.

Juri’s expression turned cold. “Maybe you are.” With that, he turned and stormed out of the office.

Sunset came in a moment after Juri left. “He didn’t seem very happy.”

Grace put his face in his hooves and groaned.

“I’m not a couple’s therapist, Grace,” Sunny pointed out. “You’re going to need one of those. That kind of emotional roller coaster can’t be good. He’s never acted like that before?”

Grace shook his head. “No. We’ve lived together at the palace and on that houseboat. He’s never done anything like that before. At least, not in front of me. I guess we’ve only been dating for a short amount of that time, so I could’ve missed the earlier signs.”

“I can refer you to a few I know personally,” Sunset offered. “I’ve had to call on some ponies before.”


Grace skipped the show and went back home. He hadn’t expected Juri to not be there, so he did some stress-baking. After the second cake and third sheet of cookies, Grace realized he was out of butter and gave up for the night. Just as he was about to turn in, Juri walked in.

“Hi, Juri,” Grace said evenly.

“Grace.” Juri closed the door behind him and walked into the living room. “I think I owe you an explanation for my behavior.”

Grace patted the couch seat next to him, but Juri shook his head. “I think I’m overstimulated. Between work, the prison evaluations, that vacation, and the medication, there is a lot going on in my life right now. I’m not the strongest pony, mentally. If I’m really acting like somepony else and not remembering it, then maybe it’s time I take some things off of my plate.”

Grace smiled. “That’s a good idea, I think. And if you are really seeing somepony about your issues, then I should back off and let you handle things your way. I’m just worried about you.”

“About backing off.” Juri hesitated before continuing. “Maybe we should take a break on...us.”

Grace felt struck. “Are...are you serious? You want to break up?”

Juri came around the coffee table and sat next to Grace. “No, I don’t. I just want to tone it down on everything stressing me out.”

Grace pulled away. “And our relationship stresses you out? We can go see someone, you know. Sunset even recommended a few therapists when I spoke to him.”

Juri jumped up. “What did you say to Sunset?”

Grace lifted up his hooves. “Nothing about your...condition. Just that I was worried about our relationship. And for good reason, as it turns out!”

“I can’t believe you.” Juri’s voice was dangerously calm as he walked around the coffee table towards the kitchen. “You have no right to talk about me like that to somepony I don’t even know!”

Grace looked across the table, surprised at Juri’s vehemence. “Juristic, I’m just trying...”

“Well, so am I. I’m trying to understand how I’ll ever be able to walk into that club again. If you wanted me to stay out of your work life, I’d have respected that more than I do this.” Juri grabbed a bottle of cider out of the cupboard in the kitchen.

Grace wondered for a moment if alcohol was a good idea himself. “What am I supposed to do? You’re not getting better, you’re getting worse. These personality shifts are jarring. And you don’t even seem to notice them.” Juri snorted and grabbed a glass and ice.

Grace stood. “You need more help than taking a prescription you got from a doctor you’re seeing once a month and not telling everything to! This isn’t managing your health this is taking unnecessary risks!”

“Listen to yourself! My health! As in: my choice!” Juri started walking towards the hall. “I can’t even talk to you right now.”

Grace stood in front of Juri, blocking his way to his room. “Juri, please. I’m at my wit’s end worrying about you and all you can think about—“

“All I can think about is how you shared private information about me with somepony else. All you can think about is yourself! I didn’t ask you to be my caretaker. I didn’t ask you to go get your boss’s opinion.” Juri stood up straighter, his expression hardening. “But hey, if I’m worrying you so much, just leave.”

“That’s your answer every time I don’t do something you like!” Grace protested. “I started on diet pills and you kicked me out. Now I’m trying to give you some perspective on your pills and you’re kicking me out again!”

Juri kept his chin up. “All you did is give me another perspective on the kind of pony you are. I’m not suggesting anymore, I’m telling you. Get out, Grace!”

With that, he turned and entered his room, slamming the door behind him and locking it with an audible click.

Grace called to Juri through the door. “If you won’t take care of yourself. If you’ll take any excuse not to address your issues. I’m done.”

“Good,” Juri called back, angrily. “Go!”

“Fine.”

Juri didn’t come home the next day. After returning from the show, Grace instead found cardboard boxes and packing tape. No note.

Grace angrily stormed into Juri’s room, but Juri wasn’t there. As he turned to leave, a pile of letters on Juri’s sideboard stood out to him. On an urge, Grace picked one up and read it, ignoring the twinge of guilt at invading Juri’s privacy. It was from Juri’s psychiatrist’s office. He’d missed his last three appointments and hadn’t refilled his latest prescription.

The finality of this discovery floored him. It was really over. Juri was lying and kicking him out.

It was a depressing reality that hit Grace as he realized all of his possessions didn’t even fill half of the boxes Juri gave him. His chef knife set and assorted cooking implements fit in one box. Bedding and what few outfits he owned in another. Some small personal effects and toiletries in his last box. The instruments all had their own cases.

Sunset arranged to have Grace move in to a small studio place just down the street from the club. It apparently belonged to Sunset and he kept it just in case his employees needed it. Grace resolved to find his own place as soon as possible.

The rental cart fit his stuff in with room to spare. Juri hadn’t been around for any of the moving. Grace slid his key under the mat and walked off the ship.

Author's Note:

Been stuck on this chapter for a while. It was supposed to be the last one, but it looks like I have enough material for another chapter or maybe even two.

Comments ( 2 )

9171983
I did end up figuring that out myself once I read the chapter after that, but I appreciate the reply nonetheless.

9172348
I really should have seen and replied to that a loooong time ago. My bad.

Login or register to comment