• Published 30th Jan 2017
  • 5,097 Views, 158 Comments

Cruising - Rose Quill



The girls go on a cruise for spring break.

  • ...
8
 158
 5,097

Chapter Seven - Lunch

“How do you figure on doing it, Pinks?” Rainbow Dash asked as she put the burger and fries on her tray. “Don’t businesses cost a lot of money?”

“Yeah, but we’re going to do it small to start,” Pinkie replied, bouncing as she looked over a set of chafing dishes in the main dining hall. She scooped up a couple of things of vegetable medley and some Swedish meatballs. “Sonata and I figure we could use the existing kitchen of the clients or our own if the venue doesn’t have one and slowly expand our services, both in range and offerings. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!”

I put a serving of spinach and green leaf lettuce on my plate, moving down the salad bar to add some peas and olives. “I think it’s a bit more complicated than that, Pinkie,” I said as I rejoined them at the main food buffet, popping a crouton in my mouth as I did. “I mean, you’ve still got to pay for the food up front, and advertising. None of that is cheap. That’s one reason why neither The Rainbooms or Flash’s band get more than local gigs.”

“There’s the announcement board in Sugar Cube Corner,” she came back. “The Cake’s said they’d let us post there as long as we kept doing their catering jobs too. And from there we can find side jobs that aren’t large enough for the SCC minimum and we’ve got our niche!”

I blinked at her. Did she just use complete sentences and grammar? “And Sonata is fine with this too?” I asked. I was surprised that the youngest Siren had managed to secure a job with the Cakes, let alone a friendship with Pinkie, but leave it to the pink haired woman to do the impossible and improbable.

“Yep yep! It just came to her like BAM! and she told me and we started thinking out all the sticky complications that we’d have and we wrestled them down like nothing. It was simple, really.”

I nodded. That sounded a little more like the Pinkie I knew.

“Tell you what, Pinkie,” I said as we sat down. “Let me talk it over with Twilight and Cadence, and maybe you’ll have your first big catering gig for the bridal shower. You were already helping Rarity to plan it anyway.”

She gasped one of her long-winded ones and her eye got wide and watery. “Really?”

I nodded. “Really really,” I said around a mouthful of salad.

She shot both her hands up, fingers pointing. “Yes!” she said excitedly before looking around. “Speaking of Twilight, where is our Smarty Smartypants?”

“She’s in the ships bookstore,” I said. “I figured it would be easier to let her find her own way out than try and drag her out.” I held up my fiancé’s wallet. “She did manage to enact budget control before she wandered in. Her job at the electronics store may do direct deposit, but it’s not a bottomless hole.”

“It’s got a nice setup,” Dash said as she popped a fry into her mouth. “They’ve got the latest Daring Do book and the first omnibus edition.” She reached into one of the large cargo pockets in her shorts and produced said book. “I have my evening planned right here.”

“Ah hope that’s not all ya’ll are gonna do,” Applejack said as she sat next to the colorful rocker. She grabbed up a forkful of some sort of pasta dish and elbowed Rainbow before eating it. “Ya promised me we’d check out that rock climbin’ wall.”

“Actually, I think I challenged you to see who’d make it to the top first.”

“Same thing with you,” the farmer smirked as the smaller girl threw her arm around her shoulders.

I smiled. This trip was getting better every day. I was a little surprised that they had feelings for each other, but looking back it made sense. Rainbow was the kid that picked on the one that she had a crush on in grade school. It was just the way she was.

“So where’s Fluttershy and Rarity?” AJ asked between mouthfuls of her pasta.

“Fluttershy was a little out of it this morning at breakfast,” I said. “But she said she was going to go read up on the critters that are in the port at the Bahaymas.” I frowned. “I’m not quite sure where Rarity is, but we’re meeting up later to hit some of the shops with Twilight.” I grinned. “If I have to drag her out of the bookstore to do it.”

“I’m going to check out one of the magic shows,” Pinkie said. “I hear the girl they got is super duper wonderful!”

We chatted about various other topics, teased Dash and AJ about their relationship, got teased about Twilight and mine's relationship, and discussed things for the band, mainly the possibility of doing a short tour of the local live music scenes in the tricounty area.

I may not know much, but I know that was a lunch well spent.

Author's Note:

If you haven't guessed it already, this takes place concurrently with Confessions - Fluttershy. I also moved Biology into it's chronological spot to fix continuity.