• Published 30th Jan 2017
  • 5,097 Views, 158 Comments

Cruising - Rose Quill



The girls go on a cruise for spring break.

  • ...
8
 158
 5,097

Chapter Five - Biology

I woke up to two distinct feelings. One was a pleasant, light touch across my stomach.

The other was a fierce cramping slightly below that. I groaned as I realized what it was, scurrying out of bed and into the head, digging my toiletries out.

“Is everything ok?” I heard Twilight ask.

I sighed as I went about the business I never had to as a pony. “It’s not that,” I said. “It’s just biology’s cruel irony.”

She blushed somewhat. “I’m sorry,” she said. “I didn’t know…”

I rubbed her arm as I came back and laid down, curling somewhat to relieve the cramping. “It’s ok,” I said. “An irregular cycle is better than estrus. That can be positively a nightmare.”

She flushed even more after her brain deposited the definition of the word into the forefront. “Oh, my,” she whispered.

I looked at her, a sudden thought striking me.

“Speaking of estrus,” I said. “You have been rather…aggressive, in your approaches to intimacy lately. Is there something you haven’t told me?”

She smiled shyly for a moment. “You don’t like it?”

I chuckled. “It’s not that,” I said. “It’s just a little out of character for you. Especially yesterday afternoon.”

“I’m capable of being spontaneous!” she protested.

“But it’s not your default setting, honey,” I said. I stroked her cheek. “You tend to evaluate and generate an opinion based on available data. You’ve gotten better, but you still measure out your ingredients on a scale set to measure in milligrams.”

“Precision is important in cooking,” she said, her cheeks puffing up a bit.

“Do you like my cooking?” I asked.

“Yes.”

“I don’t measure as precisely as you do, though. Does that change the taste any?” I shook my head. “By nature, your every choice is a measured action. Now - and again, not because I dislike it - what has brought on this sudden rush of uncharacteristic upswing in love making?”

“I read in some magazines Cadence had…”

“Research, eh?” I teased. She shot me a glare and I held up my hands in surrender.

“They said that adding spontaneity in a relationship could help keep it lively.”

“Twi,” I said. “I would hardly call our relationship dull.”

“I know,” I said. “I just want you to know how much this means to me.”

I reached down inside and plucked the strands of our bond with my love and lust, seeing her twitch in response.

“I think that proves that I feel the same,” I smiled. “But there is also something you’re not telling me.”

She fidgeted. “It’s stupid,” she said.

“Not to me,” I said. “Tell me.”

“I’m afraid one day you’ll see that I’m not worthy of you. You’re amazing, and a powerful Unicorn, and I’m just…” she waved her hand at herself. “Me.”

I sat up, ignoring the discomfort with years of practice. “Twilight Sparkle,” I said firmly. “Don’t you dare speak like that about yourself. I love you, and I won’t let you speak ill of the woman I love.”

She sat back, mollified. I went on.

“So you think if you act like some magazine says you should, I won’t fall out of love.” I smiled at her and pulled her into a hug. “It would require more power than all the Alicorns and the Maker combined to stop me from loving you.”

A tear was trickling down her cheek. I kissed it and rested my forehead against hers, sending the feelings of love and happiness through our bond, feeling it echo against hers.

After a few moments, she leaned back and looked at me, and I saw my face reflected in her glasses.

“So, when you say estrus is worse than a period,” she began. “What do you mean?”

I rolled my eyes and chuckled.

“Imagine every year being driven crazy by your hormones,” I said, trying to remember how it had been. Six years of human menses had replaced memories of pony cycles. “Making you want to conceive as soon as possible, not really caring who the stallion was as long as they quelled the itch. We had various medicinal aides, herbs and spells, but sometimes it was just overpowering.”

She looked at me in rapt attention, her scientific mind compiling the data.

“Did you ever...” she began.

“Hook up with a stallion?” I finished for her. “Once or twice. Mostly my early heats, before I really got a handle on things. I always took precautions and frankly, it was never anything more than surrendering to a biological imperative.”

Twilight nodded as I went on.

“My first period was a shock,” I said. “You should have seen the amount of panic I was in! Once I figured it out, it didn’t bother me, though I do envy you girls that have regular cycles. I don’t know what causes it, but you would do better tracking my cycle with a Magic Eight Ball.”

She tried - and failed - to stifle a giggle. She got up and headed to the bathroom and I smiled as I watched her move.

I leaned over slightly before she pulled the door shut.

“Twilight?”

“Yes?”

I smirked mischievously.

“You look really cute wearing nothing but one of my shirts,” I said, grin growing as she flushed a furious shade of red as the door clicked shut.

Celestia, I loved that girl.