• Published 30th Jan 2017
  • 5,097 Views, 158 Comments

Cruising - Rose Quill



The girls go on a cruise for spring break.

  • ...
8
 158
 5,097

Chapter Eleven - Tricks and Treats

I sat in the dark, Twilight holding my hand under the table we were sitting at as we waited for the show to start. In front of us were the last few scraps of our dinner sat amid glasses of wine. Rarity slid gracefully into her chair with no sound, shifting to the side to brush shoulders with Fluttershy.

I smiled at the action. It was something I recognized from my own early days with Twilight. Wanting to always be close, touching, as though a momentary lack of contact would make the other vanish. I found it amazingly warm, and I felt Twilight squeeze my hand as she noticed it as well.

“Ladies and Gentlemen,” a voice said over the auditorium speakers. “Please put your hands together for our featured illusionist, Lucky Card!”

A woman hopped out onto the stage, a pair of close-fitting slacks and a well-tailored vest with an embroidered playing card over a pocket covering her slim frame. A mass of poofy gold hair topped her head, curly enough to make me believe she could have been related to Pinkie Pie.

Lucky Card bent into an incredibly nimble bow, her arms almost wrapping completely around herself and when she rose from the bow, she had a bouquet of flowers in her hand. I smiled and applauded with the audience, I hadn’t even caught a hint of where or how she had hidden the flowers.

“I’d like to thank you all for that warm welcome,” she said, laying the blossoms of the bouquet in her hand. “And I’d like to leap into the act, but I’m afraid I’ll need something a little more dramatic than these geraniums,” she said, flicking the flowers against her hand, causing an eruption of flame to burst forth, leaving a short length of ebony wood in her hand as the flame flared out.

She smiled a toothy grin. “Much better,” she cooed as we launched into another round of claps for the trick.

Rainbow leaned over to me from the next table, AJ’s hat sitting on her head with a rakish tilt.

“Maybe we should have her give Trixie some lessons,” she stage-whispered.

I bit back a laugh, remembering a community talent show not long after the Battle of the Bands. Trixie had performed a short magic routine with less than spectacular results. If not for the smoke bombs she always carried for some reason, she would have slinked off the stage in shame.

The show was pretty amazing despite the relatively small stunts she would do. Prestidigitation was something I had learned early on as a student of Celestia, but I was always so fascinated by the more mundane manner some ponies - and humans by default - that I would always try to spot the method. But this woman was a seasoned pro, flowing from one trick to the next with no setup or hesitation. I didn’t sense any magic coming from her, so this was all skill and practice.

I applauded as the magician took another bow, thanking us all for our time and finishing off her show with a pyrotechnic trick, vanishing in the flare of the sparks.


Twilight was quiet as we lounged in our cabin that night. I was feeling like I was floating, likely an effect from the wine we had with dinner. I’m still not sure why the waitress hadn’t bothered to card us before offering wine selections, but Twilight and I both made the rational choice to limit the amount we consumed, but since we were used to cider, it did hit us a little harder than I had expected.

I nudged her with my elbow before rolling onto my side, causing her to shake her head from whatever thoughts she was having. We had managed to stop broadcasting our thoughts to each other, though I did miss the embarrassed squeak she would give whenever she realized she had just let me hear her some endearing comment or flash of a daydream.

“Some show, eh?” I said, running my hand along her arm.

“Yeah,” she said slowly, raising her glasses and rubbing an eye.

I frowned. “I know you can't be tired, Twilight,” I said. “We’ve only been up twelve hours.”

“I didn’t sleep too well last night,” she said, turning to face away slightly.

“Horsefeathers,” I said, taking her face in my hand. “You of all people should know you can't lie to me. I know when you do.”

She at least had the decency to blush at the rebuke.

“It’s difficult to keep from sending you every random thought,” she finally admitted. “It’s tiring and frustrating and I wish I knew another way to keep them in. I love being close to you, but I don't want to inundate your head with my thoughts.”

I pulled her into my arms.

“Oh, Twi,” I said. “I’m so sorry. I didn’t realize,” I kissed the top of her head. “Is there anything I can do?”

She shook her head, bun wobbling slightly. “I don’t know,” she said in a voice that ripped at my heart.

"Hold still," I whispered. "I want to try something." I leaned over and touched my forehead to hers, concentrating. This was an untested spell.

And felt her gasp as the wardroom of the cruise liner vanished to reveal a long stretch of grassy hills, with a few trees here and there. I smiled as she looked around, suddenly dressed in the same outfit she was wearing when we left for Equestria the first time, recognition glimmering in her eyes.

“This is the picnic fields outside Ponyville,” she said, looking down at herself. “But we’re not ponies right now.”

“This is completely in our heads, Twi,” I said. “I should have told you earlier about this. When we started sharing thoughts, I had the idea that this could be more than an uncomfortable circumstance. But I haven't had the chance to test it, so I didn't say anything.” I waved my hand at the scenery. “I spent most of our last trip sunbathing visualizing this place trying to get every detail as accurate as possible.”

“Why this place? Why even try to focus on producing this?" The bookish girl was walking towards the nearest tree, reaching out to touch it.

“You don’t recognize this place, Sunshine?” I said, smiling. I turned and pointed to a particular knoll, a setting sun slowly turning the sky into representations of both our colorations and namesakes. “This was the hill we sat on one of our last nights before we left,” I said. “Where I first realized just how I felt about you.”

“Where you kissed me for the first time,” she said, coming up to thread her arm through mine.

“You kissed me first in the castle the night before,” I said, looking down at the shorter girl.

“But this is where you kissed me first, of your own free will,” she said, a small smile crossing her face before turning to face me. “But that doesn’t tell me why you worked to bring this to mind,” she intoned, brows knitting together in her ‘I want to know why’ look.

I rubbed the back of my neck.

“I feel sometimes like I don’t do enough for you in our relationship, Twilight,” I said. “You cook amazing meals, and your family invites me over all the time.” I looked at the sunset, feeling a strange sense of calm in the view. “I really haven’t done a whole lot, to be honest, that even approaches the love and trust you all have given me.”

I turned towards her, a weak smile on my face.

“I just wanted to give you a place you could go whenever you wanted, someplace that was special to both of us, someplace that where only we had access to.”

Twilight looked at me, a smirk rising up on her face.

“While this is nice, Sunny,” she said, crossing her arms and squaring up against me. “I hardly think that you haven’t done much for the relationship.”

She started ticking things off, advancing a step with each point.

“Firstly, you saved me from being consumed by magic, letting my family get me back. Secondly, you were right there by my side whenever I felt self-conscious in my first days at CHS. You made sure that the other students saw me for me, not Princess Twilight or Midnight Sparkle.”

She poked me just above my heart. “You helped me get over my fears at Camp Everfree and embrace my magic. You consoled me when things didn’t go well with Timber.” She poked me with each point now. “You let me stay with you in Equestria that first time when you and the Princess could have just shoved me back through the portal and shut it behind me. You took me back to spend time with your family during one of the most special times of the year. You made me family!” Tears were leaking from her eyes.

“And now, we’re engaged, I’m wearing your mother’s ring for goodness sake,” she chuckled, holding up her left hand for a moment. “I do the things I do for you because I feel like I’m not doing enough sometimes.” She wiped the tears from her cheek.

I pulled her in, hugging her tightly and fighting tears myself.

“We’re quite the pair, aren’t we?” I giggled.

She pushed back slightly and kissed me.

“So what's happening to our bodies while we’re here?” she asked.

“Well, since we are technically using a dreamscape, I suspect we’re sleeping right now,” I said.

Twilight smiled. “Restful sleep, then,” she said in her scientific voice, eyes gleaming. “Dreams only occur in stage five sleep, which is the only stage where REM occurs. I wonder if this is superseding the natural cycle of sleep since REM state is so short the first time through in a night.”

I smiled as I saw her winding up for a long series of questions combined with rambling anecdotes.

And this is why I loved her. She was at her most adorable when this amount of energy was pumping through her body, her most vibrant. I almost hated cutting these long-winded monologs short, but there was something else I had planned for this little ethereal jaunt, and I wasn’t sure how long this would last.

I reached out and laid a finger across her mouth, silencing her abruptly.

“Let's find a better use for those lips, Twilight,” I cooed, smiling at her with hooded eyes.

She looked at me with confusion, though she recognized the look.

“But I thought…”

I replaced the finger.

“In the waking world, yes,” I said, tracing my finger down her neck and hooking it on the top of the zipper of her hoodie. “But this…”

Her grin went wicked. “Isn’t the waking world,” she purred.

“You got it,” I said, slowly lowering her zipper, exposing the smooth curve of her collarbone and the tops of her breasts.

She reached out and tangled her hand in my hair.

“Does this mean that I don’t have to keep a tight hold on my thoughts anymore?”

I smiled. “Since we’re kind of linked at the brain, I wouldn’t want to give you a definitive answer just yet,” I slowly pushed her to a seated position, unzipping her jacket the rest of the way, exposing the tank top she had underneath. She shrugged out of it as I leaned in and kissed the base of her neck, delighting in her shiver. "We may need practice."

My hands explored her upper body, sliding under her tank to trace the ridge of her spine and the feel of her waist. I felt her hands slip up and start to slide my jacket off my shoulders, her head dipping to kiss just behind my ear as I shrugged out my leather jacket, leaving my shoulders exposed in the halter top I was wearing. I slid my hands up and cupped her breasts through her bra.

“I missed that feeling,” She murmured into my ear before gently biting the lobe.

I felt her hands untying the neck of my halter, the top dropping down as she trailed her kisses down. I shuddered at the feeling, sighing in delight. She pulled at her tank, sliding it up over her body. I reached out grabbed her arms, stopping her where she was more or less trapped by it.

“Hey,” she whined in protest. She twisted and tried to extricate her head or arms, but the way I held her kept her blindfolded.

I smiled and kissed her neck before whipping the shirt from her and burying my face against the curve of her neck and following it down, grazing my teeth along her collarbone.

Breathing hard, Twilight looked down at me.

“This is a dream, right?”

I hummed a yes against the upper swell of her breasts, trailing little kisses along them.

“Then I can do this…” she said.

And we were suddenly both completely naked and laying on a cloud, both of us ponied up. I felt a strange pressure on my back and when I looked back, I saw wings of the same amber hue of my skin.

Twilight leaned forward, her wings reaching out and tracing along my sides.

“You’re my princess,” she whispered before kissing me. “You deserve some wings after all you’ve done for me.”

I flexed the wings, finding the sensation strange, and I found that I could feel something through them. I felt tears well in my eyes.

“Have I told you how much I love you today?” I asked, lips trembling.

“Yes,” she said, pushing me back down.

“But I never get tired of hearing it,” she said before capturing my lips again.