• Published 30th Jan 2017
  • 5,099 Views, 158 Comments

Cruising - Rose Quill



The girls go on a cruise for spring break.

  • ...
8
 158
 5,099

Chapter Ten - On the Beach

I stretched out on the towel, the breeze coming off the water providing a good balance with the tropical sun overhead. I sighed and enjoyed the warmth of the sun soaking into me. It was so relaxing, I felt like I could drift off if I wasn't careful.

I heard a page turn next to me and I opened my eyes. Looking over at Twilight, sitting in a folding chair made like a hammock, a thick magazine held in her hands. I rolled onto my side and looked at her with an amused smile on my face, hand draped across my hip.

“Honestly, honey, there are so many things to do on this stop beside reading a magazine on,” I leaned my head over slightly to read the title. “Planning a wedding?” I sat up in a crossed legged position. “Seriously? The ship had that in the bookstore?”

She looked over the book, a mischievous smile on her face.

“Have you ever planned a wedding?” she asked.

“Well, no,” I said, flustered.

“Nor have I, and for your information, there are so many things we have to decide on,” she said primly, setting the magazine down in her lap after carefully marking her place. She nudged her glasses up a bit.

“We have to pick out who’s going to be in the wedding party, for starters,” she said, pointing a finger out. “Who’s going to be maid of honor, best man, and so on. We’ve got so many friends and family on both sides of the mirror that it’ll be tough to whittle them down.”

She ticked another finger. “Budget has to be decided, settled, and finalized at least six months prior, and that means picking out a photographer, caterer, the entertainment, deciding on the officiant, choosing a venue, and florists.”

She tapped the third finger. “Then there’s the guest list. Who do we invite, who do we not? Who’s going to give toasts at the reception? What should the invitations look like?” She shook her head. “There’s so much more to this than I ever thought, it's just so many steps!”

I got up and padded over to her. I took her hand and kissed the inside of her wrist.

“Twilight, you forget that you have Rarity and Pinkie helping us plan this. Any detail you forget - as unlikely an event as that may be - they would have ready for us to make a choice on. And have you had a chance to think about who I suggested as far as the caterer?”

“Pinkie and Sonata?” she mused. “I’m willing to let them do the shower as a trial run if Cadence is.”

“And we’re members of a band, and even if we don’t have the girls play, we could talk to Vinyl or Octavia, or Minuette, or Lyra.” I sat up straight. “Or any of the Shadowbolts that we invite. I’m sure Lemon Zest would love the chance to play for our wedding.”

Twilight leaned back in thought. “True,” she mused.

“Besides, after talking with Cadence the other day, I’m liking the idea of an outdoor wedding.” I leaned forward and rested my head on her leg. “I know you’re nervous, and I am too. I want our day to be perfect. I'm sure it will be, with all of our friends willing to help.”

She started to run her fingers through my red tresses. “I just want to make sure we don’t have anything go wrong. Forewarned is forearmed, after all.”

“Come on, Twi,” I said, sitting up. “We’ve done the power drunk transformation angle three times. What are the chances of it happening again?”

“Don’t jinx us,” she hissed.

I rolled my eyes, then put my hand on her magazine as she tried to pick it up again.

“Sunny,” she said with a mild disapproval in her voice.

“I’ll make you a deal, Sunshine,” I purred leaning forward slightly. “You relax in the sand for a bit and join Fluttershy and I on that nature walk," I told her. "And tonight in the cabin we’ll make a checklist with as many details as we can think of. What do you say?”

The bookworm chewed on a thumbnail, thinking. She then took her hand off the magazine and stood up.

“Deal,” she said.

“Then there’s plenty of space on my towel for you,” I smirked in victory.

“Jokes on you,” she said, reaching into the bag she had brought with her.

“I always know where my towel is,” she said with a giggle, producing the said item and spreading it out next to mine.

I laughed as I caught the joke and give her a squeeze before laying down on my towel.

“A good point, my little hitchhiker.”