• Published 31st Jan 2017
  • 456 Views, 4 Comments

Comet Chaser - Busy for a Birthday - CometChaser



Comet Chaser is Master Sargent of the Canterlot Wonderbolts and his birthday isn't turning out how he'd hopped. However, things will change for him when he meets an interesting mare; Breeze Chaser.

  • ...
3
 4
 456

Spitfire's Stallion

Comet Chaser walked wearily home from the Wonderbolts garrison in Canterlot. His dark blue fur could be seen weaving through narrow alleys between white pillars of stone, crowned on top with a gilded roof. The last rays of dusk light were still glittering on some of the tallest towers. He considered the receding light and sighed, he had been busy that day and knew tomorrow he’d be even busier, for tomorrow, the Wonderbolts would be arriving in Canterlot.

At least tonight I’ll have a few hours of sleep before returning duty as Master Sergeant, he thought, dismally imagining having to stay awake long into the night.

While other ponies would be celebrating and partying, he would be managing supplies, making sure everypony knew their assigned task, were following orders, as well as dealing with every minute issue that came up over the night, of which there would be many. He could handle stress, the Wonderbolts staged performances in Canterlot all the time, but why did it have to be tomorrow of all days.

It was his birthday tomorrow and Comet Chaser had been looking forward to taking the day off, maybe read a nice book or explore the Canterlot museum. When the news came from Captain Spitfire that the Wonderbolts would be staying in Canterlot for the coronation of Equestria’s newest princess Comet Chaser’s hopes of a peaceful day to spend by himself were dashed.

As he neared his small apartment, he shrugged off his worries about the busy day tomorrow.

I’ll make it up to myself later by taking the day after off he told himself.

Then he remembered he’d have to organize a cleanup and restocking crew so the garrison was operational in case there was a sudden need for the Wonderbolts to use the facilities again. He shook his head trying to forget all about his woes and concentrate on getting a nice relaxed sleep. His landlady greeted him at the door.

“Good evening Mr. Chaser, Another long day at work?”

“Yes indeed Ma’am, my day will be especially long tomorrow so I wouldn’t recommend waiting for me to get home.”

“As it happens I’ve been waiting on you for just that reason. My sister Fleur de Lis got me an Invitation to the coronation and after party tomorrow, and I don’t plan on being back ‘till the morning after. Would you be a dear and lock up when you get home?” She handed him the keys to the apartment

“You’ve been a good tenant for several years, and I trust you’ll do exactly as I tell you and nothing more.” Comet Chaser was familiar with taking orders and promised to do exactly as his landlady had asked.

After exchanging farewells, he headed up the spiral staircase to his second-floor apartment room. He was tempted to flop on the bed in exhaustion but knew to do so would be to condemn himself to a hungry, sleepless night. A brief glance into his refrigerator revealed that he may, in fact, have no choice in the matter. A week old salad and a small bag of oats were all that greeted him. His job paid well enough, but he spent so much time performing the administrative tasks required by his post he never had the time to do serious food shopping, or for that matter house shopping. Though he didn't mind his quaint little apartment, he knew he should get a real house, especially if he ever planned on finding his special somepony and having a family.

Pleasant thoughts of a future with a nice house and a lovely wife filled his mind as he drifted to sleep.


His blaring alarm woke him in the morning. He sat upright and silenced his, ‘Winter Wrap Up’ themed alarm. Wiping his stubble covered face with his hoof, he lumbered out of bed. Comet Chaser recalled his days and a young spry airpony going through the academy boot camp. At O’five hundred, sharp taps would blare through the speakers, immediately ending any hope of further sleep. He and the other cadets would leap from their beds and immediately start folding their sheets as per regulation. He recalled standing at attention, praying to Celestia the Sargent wouldn’t notice his hastily folded socks. He noticed, he always noticed, and punishment swiftly followed. Failure was harshly reprimanded.

Shaking his sleep groggy head, Comet Chaser set aside his old memories of boot camp and went to make his morning coffee, assuredly the first of many he’d be having today. After ironing his suit, he donned his class A uniform and headed out the door, making sure his landlady’s keys were in his coat pocket.

En route to the Canterlot Wonderbolt base, Comet Chaser passed by Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns. He gazed ponderously at the magnificent building that was the Royal Canterlot Archives. Distracted by the sight, he failed to notice a light blue pegasus rushing towards the school, many treatises in hoof.

“Oh, I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to hit you!” Said the mare, helping him up from the ground.

“Ah, don’t you worry about it. I’ve been hurt a lot worse.” Comet Chaser groaned as he accepted the mare’s outstretched hoof.

“I’m Comet Chaser by the way.” Once he’d pulled himself up he helped the mare who was frantically collecting her fallen books and scrolls.

“May I ask you name ma’am?” He inquired

“I’m afraid I’m late as it is and haven’t got much time for pleasantries I must be in class teaching by…“ Her voice trailed off as the Canterlot bell tower tolled the seventh hour of the day.

“Shit,” She said. Comet Chaser had stacked her books in her arms, but one fell as she tried to sprint towards the school.

Comet Chaser bent as if to pick it up but the mare said, “Fuck it, I got to go now”

Without a further word, and with a swish of her purple tail, she rushed away towards the school. He picked up her dropped book and pondered the title, ‘Strange Objects and Where to Find Them.’ Comet Chaser watched as the mare ran along the cobblestone path to the school, her wings pushing her forward, giving her an extra boost of speed. He watched as she entered the building and the door slammed shut behind her. The loud noise woke him from his trance-like fixation, and with a shake of his head Comet Chaser went on his way to his office, carrying the book under his arm.


“Sir someone is asking a see you right now!” Young Dazzle Tail burst into Comet Chaser’s office without so much as knocking on the door.

“The coronation is about to start I haven’t got time to..” But he was cut off by the unruly subordinate

“But sir she’s…” At that very moment Spitfire, captain of the Wonderbolts walked in.

“Sir! Airpony first class Dazzle Tail reporting for duty sir!” With a wave of her hoof, she dismissed the young pony. Comet Chaser rose from his desk with a small groan which betrayed his age.

“Master Sergeant Comet Chaser at your service sir, what is it that you need? The coronation starts in only half an hour.” Spitfire cracked a cocky smile and moved over to lean one hoof on the desk.

“I’m really impressed with your coordination. You’ve done an awesome job setting everything up for us, but I’ve gotta ask you for a favor.” Comet Chaser let out a sigh a little louder than he’d meant to but he quickly replied;

“Yeah sure how may I help you.”

“Well, you see… Earlier today I met a rather striking stallion... “ Seeing he didn’t follow Spitfire elaborated.

“We met at the bar the royal guards frequent, and he bought me a drink of cider. You see… What happened is, I may have promised him a spot inside the coronation room, and I was wondering is you could…” Comet Chaser loudly sighed.

This was exactly the type of bullshit he’d grown to expect from the Wonderbolts. Cocky, arrogant and extremely skilled, it seemed as though as long they could fly faster than anypony else, they would get away with anything.

“This has been on the agenda for weeks! Procedure dictates you announce any guests in advance. What you’re asking is utterly impossible. I’d not just have to order another seat, but have the cooks prepare a new meal, and rewrite my seating chart! There’s simply no way to fit in one more pony.” With a stamp of his hoof Comet Chaser had made up his mind. Although she was an Officer and outranked him, this was still his operation and when it came to making decisions with regard to the coronation his word was final.

“...Well, I was kinda hoping, instead of adding a new spot, we just swap two ponies.”

“Oh? Did you arrange for somepony else to give up their seat for you?” Disarmed, he regretted his brief rant and tone.

“You see… That’s kinda what I’m doing right now.” As she said it she looked directly at him.

“You’re asking me to give up my seat at the coronation!?” Comet chaser replied, bewildered.

“I’m sure you’ve got plenty of work to attend to. Besides, what represents the Wonderbolts best, a strong Stallion, or a middle-aged member of the old way Wonderbolts.” Taken aback by the younger pony’s brazenness, Comet Chaser found himself unable to speak.

“So I guess I’ll take that as a yes?” She put one hoof on the door cracking it open.

“Sure. Sure, whatever.” With his hoof, he rubbed his temples.

“Oh thank you! You’re the best!” With that, Spitfire dashed down the hallway. Comet Chaser slumped back in his seat. He let out a sigh and reached for his coffee mug.

“Sir? How did it go?” He hadn’t even noticed Dazzle Tail sneak back in. Quickly, he sat up in his chair and set the mug down a little too forcefully, splashing coffee droplets all over the papers on his desk.

“Well fuck.” He said looking at the now ruined official documents. His eyes rested on the book the mare he’d bumped into had dropped. The expensive looking white leather cover was now speckled with drops of coffee. He swore to himself that if he saw the pony again he’d return her book and pay whatever damages the coffee might have done. “What did you want Dazzle?”

“Just wanted to wish you a happy birthday and ask if you still needed me to patrol the perimeter tonight.”

“Aww, thank you. No, buddy, I’ll take over for you tonight. You go ahead and get home, I’m sure your special somepony will appreciate you getting home early tonight.”

“But sir, aren’t you attending the coronation?” Thoughts of Spitfire’s cocky smile entered his head.

“It seems I won’t be attending tonight. But that’s no reason for you to have to stay late, get home, get rest, go party, have sex. Do whatever you young ponies do.”

“Umm… Ok, sir, I’ll be going then.” Poor Dazzle Tale was clearly shocked hearing his superior talking in such an informal and blunt manner.

He watched the hazel colored pony trot down the hallway, he regretted that he hadn’t kept his cool around the young airpony, who undoubtedly looked up to him due to his position of authority. He looked up at the clock. Fifteen minutes before the start of the ceremony, he figured he ought to start his patrol of the perimeter.

Author's Note:

Thank you so much for reading this first chapter. This is my first attempt at story writing and I hope you like it. Also, I'm sorry if you're not a fan of my portrayal of Spitfire's character here. The inspiration for her conduct comes from the episode Rainbow Falls. If you have any constructive comments or suggestions to help me become a better writer I'd love to hear it in the comments.