• Published 5th Jul 2012
  • 4,885 Views, 112 Comments

Running Late - FlashFoward



Spike gets an invitation, from Octavia, to an Orchestra show.

  • ...
2
 112
 4,885

Hanging By A Thread

All of Spike’s friends came to visit him while he was in the hospital. The Cutie Mark Crusaders tried playing doctors to help Spike feel better, and see if being a doctor had something to do their here cutie mark. Applejack had to tell them off to leave Spike be, seeing that stabbing needles in Spike was going too far. Pinkie tried to lighten up the mood in the room with her usual jokes and antics. But, before long, Pinkie caved in and remained eerily quiet. Blue Heart would occasionally come in and check on Spike. Every time he came, everypony would hold their breath and expected the doctor to revive Spike. It didn’t happen. It took nearly a week for Spike to actually make some significant progress in his recovery. However, the accomplishment was just opening his mouth every so often to whisper something incoherent and closing his mouth shortly to say nothing more. Blue Heart wasn’t sure if Spike was actually aware on who was around him but he was satisfied with him speaking, even if it was impossible to tell what he said.

The only pony that was missing from Spike’s bedside was Rarity, who chose to hide in her boutique store ever since seeing Spike in the hospital the first day. Pinkie and Applejack tried to drag her out of the store, to no avail. She was to ashamed and embarrassed to see Spike that way he was, considering it was partially her fault. Twilight didn’t really pay Rarity much attention, probably angry that her friend would bring harm to her “brother”.

Whenever Octavia would grab Spike’s hand to comfort him, Twilight would stare daggers at her behind her back. It was obvious that Twilight was very defensive of her number one assistant when he was in harm’s way. Still, Twilight didn’t say anything to Octavia since there were friends. But her mean stare didn’t go unnoticed by everypony else in the room.

“Why does Octavia keep grabbing Spike’s claws?” Twilight demanded from her friends one day. She meant it as a neutral conversation starter but the defensive tone in her voice flashed dangerously.

The girls were at Twilight’s Library, sipping tea until the visiting hours were starting. Pinkie was the only one who looked
nervous to answer while the others looked confused and unsure. Twilight didn’t spot Pinkie’s expressions and choose to stare at Rainbow heatedly.

“What?” Rainbow stared at Twilight with a raised eyebrow.

Twilight switched her gaze to Applejack and the shrugged “Got no clue sugercube.”

“I’m sorry, I’m not sure either.” Fluttershy cracked under Twilight’s stare.

Finally Twilight looked at Pinkie, who started to sweat a little. “I don’t know.”

“Don’t lie to me Pinkie!” Twilight hissed dangerously.

The air in the room grew tense and all eyes were on Pinkie, who sipped nervously at her tea. “You guys don’t know what’s in the letter right?”

“Spike made it a point not to show it to us.” Dash stated in a bored voice. “What about it, Pinkie?”

“Ever wonder why Spike tried so hard to make it on time? Spike isn’t too crazy about being on time like Twilight.” This statement earned Pinkie an angry glare from Twilight “I didn’t mean it in a bad way! It’s just that, it not often to see Spike get so worked up on being on time for something.” Pinkie quickly tried to amend.

Twilight’s angry stared turned into a one of deep thought. “Do you think?”

Pinkie nodded.

“Oh.” Twilight replied in a dumbfounded whisper.

“Wait, didn’t Spike make you Pinkie swear?” Applejack asked, pointing her hoof at Pinkie quizzically.

“Well I didn’t directly tell you, did I? You figured it out on your own.” Pinkie replied simply. She returned to sipping her tea while everypony in the room stared at Pinkie in amazement and disbelief.
__________

“Oh Spike, I wish you were awake.” Octavia whispered into his ear, fondling the green scales on top of his head again.

“Aren’t we early?” Blue Heart entered to the room.

“OH!” Octavia immediately stopped stroking Spike’s scales at the sight of the Doctor.

“Don’t worry, I won’t say a word.” Blue Heart said with a light hearted smile.

“Will he ever wake up?” Octavia asked nervously. This question had been nagging on her mind for the longest and she needed to know.

Blue Heart had his back turned to her while he examined Spike’s chart. Once the question was asked though, he fumbled with the clipboard a bit. He turned around and saw the Octavia was almost on the verge of tears.

“He will awaken soon. Thing is, if he doesn’t start improving soon…he might not be able to live the life he once lead.” Blue Heart explained.

“What do you mean?” Octavia was barely fighting back her tears now.

“I am saying, if he doesn’t improve, it might be time to forget about him.” Blue Heart replied.
Octavia couldn’t bare it, she finally started to cry and sob. She grabbed Spike’s claw tightly and continued to cry. Blue Heart gave her a pat on the back and left Octavia on her own. It was never fun being the bearer of bad news.
________

Celestia and Luna visited Spike in the hospital that day. Twilight begged the princesses to bring back Spike, but even they weren’t sure if Spike’s body might react well to their magic. Sure, it might save him. But, they were running the chance of ending him sooner as well. Blue Heart told the same bad news that he gave to Octavia too Twilight and her friends. Pinkie burst into tears while Applejack covered her face in her hat, to hide the tears that were now forming. Rainbow Dash leaned on Fluttershy’s, who was crying behind her mane, shoulder and cried. Twilight, however, fought back her tears and looked into just about every book about medicine known to Equestria after Blue told her the news. Celestia even allowed Twilight into her own personal library to find a book, but to no avail. Peewee, Spike’s pet phoenix, had been close to Spike’s bedside lately. Whenever the nurses would try to make the phoenix leave, it would squawk at them and cover its body in fire to prevent any of them grabbing him. Even when they would try to grab Peewee in his sleep, he would wake up and scare them off.

Celestia had to explain to the nurses that Peewee was forever to be loyal to Spike, so getting rid of him was going to be near
impossible. Once Celestia explained Peewee’s presence, they finally left him alone. It wasn’t before long before visiting hours were over. When the princesses were in their carriage, taking them to the castle, Luna broke the silence.

“We can help him.” Luna said, almost pleadingly.

“I know I just don’t want to be at fault if the spell fails.” Celestia acknowledged.

“I rather try then be wondering what might have been!” Luna said.

“Let’s talk about this later. The guards are starting to get curious.” Sure enough, a guard was peeking in from the window. Luna promptly put the shade down, blocking the stallions view.
________

“So, who is going to tell Rarity about Spike?” Pinkie finally asked.

The girls were back at Twilight’s Library drinking tea again. Guess it’s true, tea is a calming drink.

“Well, I am not.” Twilight folded her hoofs together and looked dignified.

“I was going to say you should go tell her Twilight.” Pinkie interjected.

“Why should I?” Twilight demanded, her voice ringing in anger.

“You haven’t talked to her in the longest.” Fluttershy mumbled meekly.

“Fine, I’ll go.” Twilight left the Library and slammed the door behind her.

“We follow her right?” Pinkie leaned to Rainbow Dash.

“Of course, Twilight is angry and is on a really short fuse. She might lose her cool.” The girls marched after Twilight. Fluttershy lingered behind the pack and Applejack had to drag her with them.
________

“Rarity open the door, we have to tell you something about Spike.” Twilight knocked on the door calmly.

“Go away!” Rarity yelled from within her store.

Twilight knocked more aggressively at the door, but Rarity refused to open up. Applejack pushed Twilight aside “I got this.”
With one mighty buck of her legs, Applejack made a dent within the door and made splinters fly about.

“Don’t break the door! Fine, I am coming down!”

“And that’s how you do it.” Applejack wore a proud smile on her face.

“Alright, what happen to Spike?” Rarity opened the door and Fluttershy let out a yelp.

She had reason to yelp to. Rarity really let herself go. Her mane was in tangles and it looked like Rarity hasn’t slept in days. It also seemed to forget to put on her fake eyelashes and had no makeup on.

Rarity shot Fluttershy an angry look “You look great!” Fluttershy tried to compliment, but twitched again at the sight of her friend’s mane.

“Darling, please, no need to tell me how dreadful I look.” Rarity made her attention back to Twilight. “What happen to Spikey Wikey?”

“Don’t call him that. Anyway, he…might not…” Twilight was struggling to finish her sentence.

“Make it.” Applejack finished Twilight’s sentence.

Rarity broke down and bawled her eyes out. All her friends, except Twilight, comforted Rarity. After what she had done,
Twilight was not going to forgive and forget so easily.

“I know you're angry at me Twilight.” Rarity finally addressed her friend. Twilight didn’t react and Rarity carried on “I was angry at Fancy for going out with another mare.”

Twilight’s eyes opened up wide “But what did Spike have to do with this?”

“I wanted to kiss Spike to get back at Fancy. Make him jealous. But, it was for nothing! I hurt a friend I actually cared about.”
Rarity continued to cry.

Twilight finally walked to her friend and wrapped a hoof around her. “I understand it must have been hard to deal with Fancy.” Twilight hadn’t totally forgiven her friend yet for her actions, but she was willing to start mending there strained relationship.

“Thank you Twilight, that means a lot to me.” Rarity replied in a slightly muffled half sob.
_________

Luna and Celestia had been eating dinner together in the castle. It was a full moon, which laminated the dinner room with its magnificent glow. The glow gave the dinner room a rather fixating quality. The very silver wear seemed to glitter from the moons light. Oddly, the dinner was silent and very formal this night .Sure, they were royalty but there were also sisters. Celestia had been toying around with here salad for the longest, deep in thought. Luna, on the other hand, sipped calmly at her cup of water.

“Luna?” Celestia asked anxiously.

“Yes, Tia?” Luna stared at her sister with curiosity.

“When do you want to do the spell?”

Luna stared at her sister, a mixture of interest and puzzlement on her face. “The sooner we do the spell, the better.”

“Agreed, so, tomorrow in the early morning? Before anypony can see what we are doing?”

“Preferably, yes. If the situation arises when we need to perform in front of his friends, do we carry on?”

Celestia didn’t respond at first. Luna thought she wouldn’t want to be confronted. To her surprise though, Celestia replied.

“Of course, if we fail, we do so trying.”