• Published 5th Jul 2012
  • 4,887 Views, 112 Comments

Running Late - FlashFoward



Spike gets an invitation, from Octavia, to an Orchestra show.

  • ...
2
 112
 4,887

What I Do For Love

Spike felt extremely bored and the orchestra was probably only half way through with their routine. The only thing that sustained his patience was Octavia. She would give an occasional wink at him while she played her cello. Every time she did this, Spike's heart would beat violently and it felt like it would jump out his chest to run to Octavia. Luna was the same problem to, bored out of her mind but her eyes were fixated on a stallion for the longest time. Celestia couldn’t help but giggle at the love-struck pony and dragon. Spike excused himself for a while and walked to the back of the theater, wanting a fresh breath of air.

Admittedly, sitting through the show wasn’t as easy as Spike would have hoped. The longer he had to wait to greet Octavia, the more excited he would get about the potential meeting. She wouldn’t be disappointed with him in the slightest! And maybe, just maybe, he will finally get that-.

“Spike?” a voice called from behind the purple dragon.

Looking around, Spike was surprised to see Rarity standing behind him. Thing was, she looked absolutely miserable. Her mane had lost its lavish sheen and there was a look in her eye that looked…desperate and a little crazed? Rarity cornered Spike into a wall and he got a little scared. She looked a little unstable and Spike was terrified of what was going through her mind at this moment. Past experience with a cracking Pinkie made Spike all to cautious of what might be the product of Rarity's sudden loss of her demeanor.

“You been too nice to me far too long Spike. I hate knowing that you never thought I noticed how hard you try to please me.” Rarity whispered in his ear.

Oh great, now she notices after I got over her Spike thought bitterly.

“I think I owe you something in return.” Rarity was pressing against him at this point.

Spike would have thought he had been dreaming if this happened to him a few weeks ago. That’s the thing though weeks ago, he had a crush on her. Then he met Octavia at the Gala…that’s when everything changed for him. Rarity had her hooves placed on Spike’s sides, seemed like running was not an option anymore. Spike noticed she was leaning closer to him, getting ever closer. Barely a hair length away from Rarity’s lips did Spike finally snap out of his daze. He tried to push Rarity away, but she had a firmer grip on him then she expected.

“I kind of feel uncomfortable about this.” Spike tried to shove Rarity away again with little to no success.

“It’s okay to be shy. I was at one point to.” Rarity coaxed.

“Rarity, seriously, let me go.” Spike said with a frown.

Surprisingly, Rarity’s eyes grew teary and she slammed her hooves on his chest. Spike felt like somepony just dropped a huge boulder on his chest. Rarity took no notice to Spike’s wheezing for oxygen and continued to push onto his chest even more.

“YOU WILL KISS ME!” Rarity snapped at him.

Spike gasped for air and green flames erupted from his mouth. Rarity yelped and backed away from Spike, trying to avoid the flames. Once Spike flopped on the floor, he made a run for the Stallions bathroom. If Rarity was still her snotty self, entering the guy’s bathroom would be the last thing she would ever do.

“YOU’LL HAVE COME OUT EVENTUALLY!” Rarity yelled shrilly, banging powerfully at the door separating them.

“Unfortunately, that might probably happen.” Spike groaned to himself.

The bathroom was freakishly pristine and glossy. It looked like the inside of a well-polished diamond. There had to be a way out this place without going through Rarity. Quickly scanning the room for an escape, Spike was happy to see a vent…on the ceiling. Ugh, being short really had so many flaws. Spike climb on top of the counter where the sink were at. The jump was a bit of a stretch, considering his height. This would have been the perfect time to have been stretched out by Twilight, Applejack and Pinkie Pie. Spike leaped for the vent and only was able to hook a claw tip on the opening of the vent. It was better than nothing and Spike set to work undoing to screws.

After unscrewing to bolts, Spike felt the vent cover shutter and give away. Barely hanging on, by the tips of his claws, Spike climbed up into the vents. Even the ventilation system was spotless! Spike crawled his way around some vent tunnels. The sound of instruments being played wasn’t that far, in fact it sounded like it was right underneath him. Spike hurried across the rather claustrophobic tunnel until he heard a terrifying creek. Looking down, Spike saw he was right on top of a vent cover.

“Don’t I have the best of luck?” Spike muttered to himself before the vent cover gave way.

With a loud crack, Spike landed right on the stage where the orchestra played. The crowd let out a gasp of horror as they watched Spike fall from about fifty feet from the air. As he fell, Spike wondered vaguely if Octavia was just as terrified as the crowd sounded. Celestia’s horn sparked violently and was pointing her horn directly at Spike’s body, which started to slow done considerably. Still, Spike’s body hit the stage with an echoing crunch.

Spike’s vision started to grow fuzzy and stars were floating around. His body ached horribly and Spike tried to sit up to no avail. Many ponies surrounded Spike and he noticed a gray mare was grabbing his claw in between her hooves. Those purple eyes…oh how they made his heart ache.

“Tada, I made it.” Spike said in a barely audible tone before passing out.

“Somepony, call the ambulance!” Octavia ordered the crowd surrounding Spike.

“You heard the mare, get to it. The quicker you alert the ambulance, the better.” Celestia said to one of her guards, who
came in the theater to check what the commotion was about.

The guard gave a bow and rushed outside to tell a Pegasus or unicorn guard to alert the ambulance, they would be able to alert them more quickly. It wasn't long until the ambulance came and magically carted off Spike. Celestia ordered one of her guards to alert Twilight and her friends what happened to Spike. They needed to know what became of him.
___________

“Is he going to be alright?” Twilight whispered, eyeing her number one assistant with freight.

“Hard to say with him falling from that high he shouldn’t even be breathing. He is very lucky to be here right now.” Dr. Blue Heart replied, looking down at Spike with grim face.

“It’s my entire fault he ended up like this!” Rarity wailed, tears pouring from her eyes.

“What did you have to do with this?” Pinkie asked Rarity, giving her a confused look.

“I sort of forced Spike into the vents.” Rarity replied sheepishly. Her friends stared at her with puzzlement. “It’s complicated!”
Rarity added quickly.

“I’ll say.” Applejack rolled her eyes. “So, I’m guessin that Spike here will have to tell us all about it.”

Spike stirred a bit in his bed. All his friends started at him anxiously, hoping he would move more or even say something. Sadly, Spike grew still again and did nothing more. Pinkie’s usual peppy smile was long gone, replaced with an unsettling quivering lower lip and teary eyes. If Pinkie was upset, the feeling of fear and sadness was just too thick to lighten up.

“I could have saved him.” Rainbow Dash mumbled, her hooves covering her face.

“I doubt any of us could have…“ Twilight tried to comfort Rainbow, but stopped short once Rainbow revealed the tears in her eyes.

“I was to busy talking to the Wonder Bolts while Spike fell. By the time I noticed him, he had already hit the…“ Rainbow couldn’t finish her sentence and returned to renewed tears and sobs.

Octavia had been stroking Spike’s green scales idly for some time now. She felt guilty that Spike got hurt. After all, she gave him the tickets to the show. His friends told her how Spike nearly did anything to make it to the show on time. And for that, Octavia realized how much she meant to him. It made her feel…happy.

“Um, Octavia, what are you doing to Spike’s scales?” Twilight asked, a little defensively.

“Oh!” Octavia immediately stopped stroking Spike’s green scales and her cheeks started to feel a little hot.

“Alright ladies, visiting hours have long passed. It’s time for you to go.” Blue Heart notified Spike’s friends.

“Can’t we stay longer?” Twilight pleaded, trying to hold back her tears.

“I am afraid not.” Heart replied with a sad sigh.

One by one, the mares filed out of the room, each of them giving Spike a tight hug before leaving. Octavia stayed a little longer than the rest though.

“Hope you get better.” Octavia was fighting back tears. She leaned down and kissed Spike on the cheek. Then, she lingered over his lips and kissed him there. “You earned it.”

As Octavia left Spike’s room, Blue Heart checked Spike’s pulse on last time for the night. It was really fast and rapid. He must have felt the kiss.

“Well aren’t you the player?” Blue Heart asked the still Spike. He then turned his back and left the room, turning off the lights as he went.