• Published 5th Jul 2012
  • 4,887 Views, 112 Comments

Running Late - FlashFoward



Spike gets an invitation, from Octavia, to an Orchestra show.

  • ...
2
 112
 4,887

The Letter

There was a loud knock at Twilights library door. Twilight, reading a book as usual, motioned Spike to open the door. Spike let out a groan. Even with magic, she was much too distracted with that book to open a simple door. Once Spike opened the door, he was surprised to see Derpy floating there.

“Are you Spike?” Derpy questioned.

“I would hope so.” Spike joked.

Derpy let out a chuckle at his remark, “Well, I got a letter here that has your name on it.”

Spike eyed the letter Derpy handed him with interest. “Who is it from?” Spike asked.

“If the letter doesn’t say who sent it, I’ll tell you.” Derpy offered.

Opening up his letter, Spike was surprised to see a rather formal invitation inside. The invitation held a ticket inviting him to an orchestra, which would play many classical songs. Spike noticed there was a signature on the invitation with a note.

Hey Spike, was wondering if you can make it to Canterlot to see the orchestra play. I will be one of the cello players there. I really hope you make it!

Right at the bottom of the note was Octavia’s loopy signature. And right next to it was…an imprint of lips that wore pink lipstick. Spike felt the heat in his checks at the sight of this and fumbled with the letter slightly. Derpy tried to peer over Spike’s shoulder to see the letter and Spike quickly held it tight to his chest.

“Well, do you know who’s it from?” Derpy asked, still eyeing the letter with interest.

“Yep, I sure do.” Spike replied, trying to calm down his blushing.

“Alright, I should really be off. See ya later Spike.” Derpy called out as she flew off to deliver more letters.

No sooner had Spike waved good bye to Derpy is when Pinkie Pie popped over Spike’s head unexpectedly.

“Oh! You got mail!” Pinkie said, making a grab for Spike’s letter as she noticed it.

Spike held the letter out of her reach, “Pinkie, come on! There is a thing called privacy!” Spike said, obviously terrified that Pinkie will discover the contents of the letter.

“Privacy, what’s that?” Pinkie asked, popping under Spike’s extended arm and still trying to take a snag at the letter.

Spike held the letter over his head, Pinkie followed by making a jump for it, and Spike quickly pulled it down to his chest. Pinkie cart wheeled and landed perfectly on her hind legs. She then bounced back to Spike’s face, like a spring.

“At least, tell me who it’s from.” Pinkie demanded.

“Remember Octavia?” Spike mumbled slowly.

“Sure I do! She is that awesome cello player from the Gala! Once she loosens up, she is great to hang around with!” Pinkie said with her usual perkiness.

“What’s all the commotion about?” Twilight asked with curiosity etching her voice, finally emerging from the library.

“Spike got a letter from Octavia!” Pinkie blurted out, hoping around Spike by the end of her tail.

“She is the cello player from the Gala right?” Twilight asked.

“Yep, she wants Spike to attend where the orchestra she is in will be playing!” Pinkie said with her usual silly grin.

“She is right. The ticket says it’s in the Note Theater in Canterlot.” Spike said, showing Twilight his ticket but making sure the invitation was well clasped tight in his other claw.

“I went there once! But that’s back when I was a little filly though.” Twilight recalled, feeling nostalgic at just thinking of the fond memory.

Spike and Pinkie looked at spaced out Twilight with utter confusion. Pinkie waved her hoof over Twilight’s mesmerized face, but she didn’t react. Spike knew just the trick to get Twilight paying attention.

HEY, PAY ATTENTION!” Spike announced in his Royal Canterlot voice.

“Ouch! You know my ears hurt when you do that Spike!” Twilight snapped at Spike, moaning as she rubbed her sore ears.

Pinkie’s head exploded in a shower of confetti and immediately her head popped back. “Who taught you that Spike?” Pinkie asked, slightly awestruck at the strength of his voice.

“Luna.” Spike simply replied with a strained smile.

It might have been a few weeks since his successful pranking spree at the Gala. But Luna coaching him on how to use the Royal Canterlot voice to its full extent made it feel like it was all yesterday, that’s how bad his experience was and he felt he wouldn’t be forgetting this anytime soon. It really did feel like Luna was yelling at him just yesterday...

FIRST, THOU NEED TO SHOW ME HOW LOUD THOU CAN YELL! LETETH ME HEAR YOUR MIGHTETH ROAR! Luna demanded of Spike, his ears popping at the sheer strength of her voice.

“ROAR!” Spike yelled out. Luna didn’t say a word; Spike took this as a sign to try again.

“ROAR!” Spike yelled again. Luna still didn’t react, not right away anyway.

IS THAT ALL YOUR LITTLE BODY CAN SUPPLY? YOU’RE A DRAGON FOOL! YOU’RE ANCESTORS CAN MAKE MOUNTAINS WILT TO ITS FOUNDATIONS WITH A SINGLE ROAR! YET, YOU CAN BARELY SCARE A CHILD WITH THAT FEEBLE THING YOU CALL A ROAR! Luna snapped, obviously growing impatient with Spike’s feeble efforts.

“Oh come on! You had years to practice this! I only have a few hours!” Spike responded with as much anger and impatience as Luna gave him.

I guess we give up now.

“No, we don’t.” Spike said with a determined grin.

Go yell yourself hoarse then.

Spike tried and tried to make his voice reach the magnitude that the whisper(Luna) was able to release. Yet he failed miserably and the whisper gave no tips or tricks to assist with the task. Spike rubbed his sore throat for a moment and that’s when the whisper voiced her disappointment again.

WHY MUST THOU FAIL AT THIS SO MUCH?

"QUIT BEING SO HYSTERICAL, YOU’RE WORSE THEN AN OLD HAG!” Spike snapped back angrily.

That’s what it took and Spike hoped he never had to go through something like that again.

“So, can we all go?” Pinkie asked.

“Octavia only gave me one ticket.” Spike replied sheepishly.

“Oho, you and Octavia got some alone time then? Or she just wants to see you?” Pinkie teased.

“I have no idea what you are talking about.” Spike lied, his face going red like a ruby.

“Whatever you say Spikey.” Pinkie said with a giggle.

“Anyway, you’re going to take a train to Canterlot?” Twilight asked Spike.

“It’s the fastest way and the show is in…” Spike looked for the date of the show and saw that it was in “TODAY!?”

“WHAT!?” Twilight and Pinkie said in shocked unison.

“Who delivered you the letter?” Twilight demanded.

“Oh, um, it was Derpy.” Spike replied uncertainly.

“Derpy, she is always making mistakes when delivering mail!” Twilight said in a high pitched controlled rage.

Spike felt is jaw going slack “So, you’re telling me…”

“That you’re running late to the show? You sure are!” Pinkie answered with her usual smile, oblivious with the problem at hand.

“What am I going to do?” Spike moaned sadly.

“I have no idea!” Pinkie answered happily.