• Published 30th Jan 2017
  • 2,156 Views, 136 Comments

Days in the Mind of One that is Great and Powerful - The REAL Mister Pkmn



After John Radderson and Kurt Smith disappear, Darrell Evenlor gets suspicious, but not worried. Then he turns into his favorite pony, Trixie, and he has some fun.

  • ...
17
 136
 2,156

PreviousChapters Next
Xavier Breakthrough Project, Day 12: A New Small Step

The next day after school, Trixie and her friends stopped by Maestro’s shop on the way to the park. The place was decked from floor to ceiling in different pieces of artwork of varying styles. None of it was organized as far as they could discern, so it’d probably give Twilight a conniption just to see this place. As they took in the odd layout, they saw him behind the counter, dealing with a customer. “So you want the Flame Vase, then? Excellent choice. That’ll be 30 dollars.” The customer paid with nary a complaint, and took the red fire-pattern vase home. As Trixie and her friends, approached, Maestro smiled. “Ah, it’s you girls! Are you here to buy something, or are you just soaking it all in? It is quite impressive that every style known to man lies within this room.”

What he’d asserted was in fact true, every style of art that they’d ever heard of, along with some they didn’t recognize, was in this room. In fact, now they they took a closer look, the art wasn’t arranged randomly at all- It was arranged by style, rather than by what medium was used. It was quite a sight to behold. Trixie then shook her head. “I’m afraid we’re not here to buy anything. I just wanted to see where you work for once.” She paused for moment, then addressed a little concern. “So you won’t be making it to Xavier’s lesson today?”

Smirking, Maestro lit his horn. “I might not be able to go personally, but it doesn’t mean that I won’t be there.” They were puzzled for a moment before they saw the spiral of his horn glow white, and the glow of his magic encase his form. After a bright flash, there were now two Maestros in the room. The original patted the copy on the back. “I’m a bit too buy to go myself, so a Maestrogänger will have to do. He’ll be going with you while I stay here. I’m about to do a bit more work on an important project of mine, so I’ll kindly ask you to see yourselves out.”

They obliged, taking the copy with them. Once they exited, they turned to see the sign on his shop change from “Open” to “Art-Making In Progress” as the door locked. They went on their way to the park, although they were a bit curious as to what Maestro was making. Rai breached the subject. “What’s so important that Maestro had to send a copy with us? What’s he making?”

The addressed Maestrogänger smirked and shook his head. “I’m afraid I can’t tell you that. Origin wouldn’t be too happy if I told you. It’s a very special piece, though. One of a kind. That’s all I will say about it.”

Knowing that they probably wouldn’t get any more out of him if they tried, they opted to go the rest of the way in silence. When they reached the park, Xavier was waiting for them. The others that were necessary were there as well- plus a few observers, among whom was that Serine character from yesterday. Before they could get started, they heard the flapping thestral wings, and turned to see a dark indigo thestral set on top of a tree. She had long off-white hair, and piercing red-violet eyes. At all the attention suddenly on her, she covered her mouth to try and suppress a giggle. “Oh, don’t mind me! I’m just done with my objective for the day, so I thought I’d spare a moment to watch this unfold. And before you ask- You might have heard Skyreach mention me- I’m Renddown.” She curtsied a little, smiling.

The others paid her little mind, but the Maestrogänger leered at her for a long moment. She was certainly different from “Skyreach”, that much was for sure. He wasn’t quite certain what it was, but something about her seemed… off. Wrong. Fabricated, almost. He decided to keep this to himself for the moment, however. After all, he wasn’t Maestro exactly- as a duplicate, he could only discern so much.

Serine knew it was risky, but she had to explain herself a little more if she was to ever alleviate Maestro’s mistrust of her. “After Xavier’s lesson is over for the day, would you mind if I show you guys and girls one of my secret, if that’s okay with you?” The others were a little surprised, but nodded to show that they didn’t mind.

As Flora, Diana, Valerie, and Natalie approached Xavier, they noticed something about his posture that the others hadn’t before. He was facing away from them, hunched over. They were concerned, and drew closer. But then they saw him turn around, and he was carrying a small stray cat. His hand was over its right hind leg, glowing a gentle blue. He was keeping it calm, amazingly. Soon enough, the glow from his hand cut out, and he knelt down as he set the cat down. It tested its weight on its leg for a moment, then scampered away. He sighed, and rose to his feet. The others were astonished at what had just happened. Had Xavier really progressed that much? There was only one way to be sure… Steeling her nerves, Flora breached the subject. “Xavier, while I would like to believe you were helping that cat, I must know… what was the magic for?”

Looking her straight in the eye, Xavier showed no hesitation. “Her leg. Poor thing had snagged it in some barbed wire. Had to remove that first before I got to work.” He pointed to the nearby recycle can. “It’s in there, cat hair and all. Just in case you need some proof.”

They checked, and indeed there was a piece of barbed wire in there, with scraps of cat hair attached, just as he had said. Although this was the case, Diana decided to make extra sure. “This is quite the departure from what your attitude has been before. While this is good progress, how can we be certain that this change is permanent?”

Xavier paused a long time to consider that. He’d been doing things a certain way for a long time. The old way he looked at the world would’ve urged him to leave the cat to its “fate”. Sure, he still had some of that thought process whirling about, but he felt that he was more inclined to ignore such thoughts than he had been before. “It’s certainly going to be an adjustment. After all, I’m still somewhat enticed by the way I used to think to entertain the ideas a bit before dismissing them. It’s a battle I have to face, and I’m willing to fight it.”

Everyone was a bit surprised at his admission. He’d certainly come a long way from the nearly heartless person he’d been before. However, hearing him admit that he wasn’t there yet was to be expected at this point. Taking this into account, Valerie commended his effort. “I must admit that I’m impressed. It takes a strong person to acknowledge that they have room to improve. Though, I’m curious… Maestro has said that you were one of the kindest people he’d met when you were younger. How does it feel, exercising that inclination again?”

A small smile adorned Xavier’s face. “Honestly? Nostalgic. I haven’t felt good about myself in a long time. However, I think I understand the why of it now. It was my cruel attitude towards others, it was rubbing into my treatment of myself. I chose to hurt others, and in turn treated myself poorly. Now… well, it’s not quite what it used to be just yet, but I definitely feel better about myself than I have in a long time.”

For a moment after that, as Natalie was about to finish things off, her eyes locked with Xavier’s for a moment. She hadn’t noticed earlier, but something about him… she shook her head, reminding herself to focus. As she spoke her piece, she tried to keep whatever that was out of her head. “It’s nice to see that you’re coming back to the friend that Maestro and I used to know. I know it won’t be the same, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. But I must ask… How many did you turn away? How many of them would you try reconnecting with, giving them a chance to show they’ve changed? Do you think you would have enough kindness to let them try and apologize?”

A large sigh came from Xavier before he answered. “How many have I turned aside, after what happened with you? Hundreds, perhaps more. I can’t remember all of their names, all of their faces. The reasons I did so all seem so petty, so judgmental. Shortsighted, even. If I could remember all of them, I’d… try at least, to show that I’ve changed, and am willing to see beyond that judgement I made. As for the ones who gave you that choice… I don’t know. I’d have to see them again to truly be certain.”

After this, it was apparent how much he’d changed already. Just a little further… The group then turned their attention to Serine, and Maestro had come in person and absolved the ‘gänger into his own form. His arms crossed, ready to hear what she said. Serine takes a deep breath “Here I go.” As soon as she said this, they started smelling burned fur and ash. Serine’s body starts changing, and as it does the smell gets stronger and stronger. Her fur gets darker black, and in some places turns dark gray. Her wings turn ash gray, and her horn looks like it’s been burned. The last thing to happen is crimson marks that look like stitches appear wherever something connects to her body. “This is how I actually look like, the other look is actually two illusions. Any questions?”

The group murmured amongst themselves, and Maestro glared at her intently. His whole form darkened a few shades as he tried containing his anger. This was the true face of Crimson Strings, the one who… Well, if rumors about the extent of the atrocities she’d committed were true, the one he had quite the beef with. He reigned in his anger, his colors returning to normal. He grimaced. He’d gotten dreadfully close to the tipping point. Best to try and keep his cool. He took a deep breath, and deferred to somebody else to ask questions.

However, there was one there that had absolutely no tact. “I’ve got a question.” They were reminded that “Renddown” hadn’t left, and she looked positively giddy about what she was about to ask. “So, how did you get all of those scars? Surely you weren’t born with those, right? If so, that’s lame!” Now that he had a proper look at “Renddown”, Maestro started to analyze her with his magic. If his hunch was correct, that would explain why she felt so… off when she was compared to her supposed compatriot, “Skyreach”. However, he ran into a roadblock as his spell analyzed her. A magic artifact hidden somewhere on her person was interfering, protecting her from his spell. Frustrated, Maestro dropped the spell, filing away that knowledge for later.

“All the markings you see are from someone or something dealing massive damage to my person. Each mark is where I had to stitch myself back together, that’s why I got the name ‘Crimson Strings’.” Serine said “Any more questions? Because I will answer anything you want to know about me.” Serine looks at Maestro, who had a serious look about him. “Come on, I know you wanna, so ask it.”

Keeping his cool, Maestro straightened, standing at his full height, now being nearly 7 feet tall. His arms crossed, he braced himself for the answer he thought he might get. “How many? How many lives have you ruined? How many families have you torn apart? How many can you say you regret?” He paused for a moment. He debated for a moment. There was something else he wanted to know. However, he felt that now was not the time to ask.

Serine stood straight up, chest puffed out standing 5 feet tall. And making the multiple marks around her neck stand out, “To be real with you, almost all of them. But the same question to you. And don’t think I don't know you, or your darkness. And I think one of your people’s old sayings is: ‘those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.’” Serine said in a cold manner.

Maestro blinked for a moment, then laughed. “Me? Ruin lives? That’s rich! I’m an artist, okay? I try and motivate people, not tear them down.” He paused, calming down. “As for darkness... I do have some, just as everyone does. I am not trying to claim that I’m all pure- I’m just saying that I’m much better than you. As for you knowing me-” He shook his head. “I don’t think you do.”

Ashley sensed the tension between Serine and Maestro and decided to step up, “Whoa there, sugarcubes. Let’s all calm down ‘fore y’all say or do somethin’ you’ll regret later.”

“Can I tell you guys a story from my world?” Serine asked.

As they were about to listen to the story, somebody new stepped in. “Not yet.” Their attention was drawn to a teal crystal unicorn anthro, with a look of death in his heterochromatic eyes. “You. I have a question for you.” He crossed his arms, his crystal blue right eye and crystal green left eye stared into her soul. “Did you? Was it you who reduced the number of the Trigems all those years ago? One of the many culprits of the centuries? I would like to believe that you were framed, but… that begs the question as to who would impersonate you.”

“My world no longer needed a monster like me, so I went out with a bang.”

Silence fell as the strange anthro glared at Serine from behind his ruby locks. “So it was you? Thankfully, there were survivors, but still…” He clenched his fists. “Do you ask forgiveness? Do you think that I would believe you to be sincere?” He paused, locking eyes with Maestro for a split second. A nod was shared between the two, as the stranger reigned in his rage. “Still, if my clan has taught me anything, everyone has light inside, regardless of how much darkness resides inside. I hope you can understand that, while I will most likely never understand why you would, I may find it in myself to forgive you… someday. Most likely not, though.”

“I will never ask you for forgiveness, but I forsook that light when I became this.” Serine gestures to her body.

The newcomer shook his head. “I see. You believe differently from us Trigems. No wonder.” He sighed. “There are many emotions I feel, knowing the truth. You are only one, in a long line of culprits. I want to hate you. End you. But, I am above vengeance. I never thought I’d meet you in person. Even so… You’re not the one I have the most personal beef with, not by a long shot.”

“That’s the thing, I’m not a person. I’m a monster and I haven’t been in the flow of time for over 400 years.” Serine said. “I’ve been living on my magic for longer than that, watch.‘ Serine said and pulls the sting from around her hand, which then falls of and then the hand crawls to Maestro and taps on his foot .

Slightly annoyed, Maestro lifted the hand with magic, and reattached it to Serine. “Please refrain from doing that again, if you wouldn’t mind.” Maestro looked at her with disgust. “I would like for this to remain a sensible air around here.”

“Now you know why I don’t publicize this.” Serine said. She then turns back to her previous form..

The newcomer paused. He then nodded. “Sensible, to hide something like that. I know what I need to, but… I wonder. In a different world, how would things have changed if you had met our clan earlier, possibly even befriending us? What would have changed? We will never know.”

“It is more than likely that there is a world like that out there, but like you said- we will never know.” Serine said.

Adjusting his robe, the stranger bowed slightly. “I know all that I need to know. Normally, my clan tends to be quite secluded, but this question was far too pressing to not have an answer. As for you…. You’re wrong about yourself. No being of pure darkness can feel guilt. That brings me to what you deserve…. Life, living with your guilt. Ending it for you would be a mercy. As I stated before, I’m not going to forgive you anytime soon… So why would I be merciful in your punishment? You took much from my clan that day, but as always, nothing we couldn’t rebuild from. So I, Sapphiron Rubeus Emerald, sentence you to life with guilt. I’m sure you can manage, seeing as you’ve been holding yourself together for this long. I now will take my leave, back to Equestria.” With no hesitation, Sapphiron’s horn glowed white, and he vanished through a portal.

“Great, just great.” Serine said sarcastically “One of the only few people that could end my suffering is going to be mean and not take the easy way out.” Serine said it should now be apparent to Maestro that serine has been trying to goat him into ending her or at the very least put her mind at rest.

However tempting it was to end it, Maestro was not awfully fond of violence, so he decided to leave her be. Besides, if Sapph from Equestria was going to let her live, he supposed that it wouldn’t do well to oppose a friend’s wishes. “Think of it this way: If you truly want redemption, continuing to live is the only way to achieve that. He may not forgive you, but self-forgiveness is more important.” As he looked to Serine, he sent a clear message with the way he glared slightly at her: Even so, I won’t hesitate to use the mirror if you turn on us.

“Then you don't know jack about me, if you think I can do THAT OR WHAT I'VE HAD TO DO.” Serine said, her anger growing and as shes yelling at Maestro, her marks slowly start coming back but this time something's wrong with them.

Maestro stepped back. Clearly, she was more harsh on herself than he’d previously asserted. The aura distorting her stitches was clearly her Nightmare form seeking full control. Either that, or something far more sinister was brewing. He raised his hands defensively. “Woah there! Chill, alright? I see that you clearly don’t agree with my angle on things. That’s fine. Just try and keep cool, alright? I’m sorry if I made a leap of logic, alright? I just… Ah, who am I kidding? You won’t listen to me on something like this.”

Serine has this sinister smile and starts laughing “That’s the thing, you don’t know anything about me, yet you think you can stop me. There’s a reason~” but before she can finish that sentence, her shadow takes a frying pan and hits her with it, knocking her out cold. They then see raven come out of said shadow.

Stunned, Xavier eventually got a hold of himself. “Okay, is anyone else confused at what just happened?”

Raven “Phew, I got here before Mary was actually released, and that would have been messy.”

Though everyone with reason was relieved, one in the area voiced her disappointment. “Awww~! I was hoping for a little brawl. Oh well. It was to be expected, unfortunately.” “Renddown” shook her head, and shrugged. “No matter. I have more interesting opportunities for entertainment later. Ciao~!” She then rocketed into the air at sub-sonic speeds.

“Be thankful that I stepped in, because light/white magic doesn't work very well on Mary.” Raven said.

Sparing a glance at this stranger, Maestro mused silently. The mirror he would’ve used was no stranger to dark magic, that was for sure, so it would contain even Mary, but he decided to not use it just yet. This new person seemed interesting, being an entity that was connected to a person’s shadow. He had heard whispers of such a thing before, but seeing it for himself was something else. He decided to let this new person be, for now.

Raven walks up to Maestro. “Can we talk alone before I have to put her in the shadow realm for everyone's safety?”

Pausing for a moment, Maestro lit his horn and encased the two of them in a soundproof dome of magic.

Raven explained. “I’m Serine's little sister, and I know you probably won’t believe me, but Mary isn’t one pony. She’s 100 souls of ponies who only want one thing. Can you guess what that is?”

Maestro shrugged. “Vengeance? Just tormenting others?”

“Yes but, as you can tell by the way Mary… acts... they’ve all gone insane and will not feel bad to take the law into their own hands.”

Blinking, Maestro considered that. “The law? Probably taking a few liberties, I’d guess. She’d probably go a bit far… But why tell me all this?”

“One, you’re in their way and won’t hesitate to kill you on the spot well, you and the twilight and two, you’re one of the few people that actually stands a chance at stopping them.”

Nodding at that assessment at first, Maestro looked to the unconscious form of Mary. “Even so, if I used the Eternal Mirror, I don’t know if I could separate Mary from Serine if it came down to it, though.” He clenched his fist. “If there was no other way, I would fight if it came to it. Even with my distaste for it, I would use violence if needed.”

“That’s the thing, my sister Serine and I don’t fear dying. We already died once, and that’s why my sister is trying to die. If she dies, they have to pass on. She’s their anchor to this plane.“ Raven becomes sad “She's like this because she asked them to bring me back.”

Blinking, Maestro considered the implications of what she had said. “Necromancy… I’ve heard of very few mortals capable of such, but spirits are more often capable of such things… at more hefty a price. Still… I refuse to put her down unless she is truly consumed completely. If there remains even a scrap of who she is, I will try and settle things civilly.” He then set down the dome of magic. “I’ve heard enough. I’ll see you all tomorrow.” Maestro teleported away without a second thought.

Raven looks over to Serine’s unconscious form uneasily. “I'm sorry, but I have to put Serine in the shadows before her nightmare starts.” She disappeared into the shadows with Serine.

The day had been draining for all of them, but some of them wanted to hear the story Serine promised, however since Raven and Serine had left, that was going to have to wait. Trixie and her friends however, just weren’t up for it, so they went on their way home. As for “Renddown”...


Landing in the agreed meeting-place, she sighed as she tuned out the “plan” that “Slighthand” had amended again. She was paying enough attention to know the changes, but it wouldn’t matter in the end. It wouldn’t change anything. As they broke off again, she chuckled a little. It was time to make a little progress on her true objective...

Author's Note:

Finally got this done and.... *sigh* They've forced my hand. My co-authors really weren't considerate, and now I have to change the rating on this story, despite my original plan. I couldn't find a way to tone it down in time, so the rating will change to Teen. I'll still try and keep it reasonably tame, despite what they might write. I expected this might happen, so I will adapt accordingly. I'll be seeing you in Chapter 30.

PreviousChapters Next