• Published 26th Jan 2017
  • 2,540 Views, 8 Comments

Welcome to the Family - EclipseSight



Ever since the defeat of Chrysalis, Starlight has begun to develop feelings for Twilight. Neither she nor Twilight has any experience in the field of romance, so that should only make it interesting.

  • ...
1
 8
 2,540

Romance is Chaotic

“Easy... we're almost there... Just a little bit more...Then we'll have enough.” Twilight whispered encouragingly, face strained with effort as her horn burned brightly.

Across from her, Starlight was in a similar state, eyes clenched shut and teal light casting dark shadows on her furrowed brow. The pair were locked in the process of weaving their most complicated spell yet, a replication of chaos magic. Discord, knowing that they would be unable to resist, had laid down the challenge at a late night picnic. Both ponies were well aware that it was most likely some sort of prank, but their pride would not allow them to back down. Learning a magic previously inaccessible to pony kind would be invaluable experience. Unfortunately, only one of them had their full presence focused on the task

Twilight took the lead, expertly manipulating the gathered power. Formerly a white pulsating orb, the energy darkened, multiple colours writhing just below the surface. There had definitely been a change, the once tame magic was now battling her fiercely. While it did not feel sentient, Twilight could tell that its very nature opposed her attempt to keep it under her hold. Glancing over at her student, Twilight gave a nod. The next step was up to her.

Sucking in a deep, shaky breath, Starlight steadied herself, then took the reigns, an electric surge sending a tingling through her body. Whatever they had created, it immediately began to resist her. Her fur stood on end as the electric surges raced along her spine. Gritting her teeth, she started to weave a plethora of spells through the growing mass. It became more tangible, its shape beginning to distort wildly as the colours intensified below the weakening film of magic it was encapsulated within. This would be so much easier, if her mind was not currently being split in two.

She just could not understand it. Magic, her passion, her love, now felt so small and insignificant. Whereas before she had been able to throw herself at any magical task with single minded intensity, now her mind was a turmoil of confusion and distraction. Nothing could hold her focus, except for one thing...or rather, one pony. Her mentor, and best friend, Twilight Sparkle.

It was Twilight who had shown her that there was a better way, that true friendship was something not yet outwith her grasp. Truthfully, it was only thanks to Twilight that she had been able to save Equestria from Queen Chrysalis, bringing her current atonement score to one out of seven. Though, her failure to make Chrysalis see the light showed her that she still had a long way to go. Then, in the weeks that followed, the dark queen's threat had weighed upon her heavily.

“There is no revenge that you could ever conceive of that will close to what I will exact upon you one day, Starlight Glimmer!” Unbeknownst to Chrysalis, her word choice had been able to worm its way deep into Starlight's anxieties. As a pony who had torn time asunder for her own form of revenge, Starlight had run through hundreds of possibilities, each one more terrifying than the last. Twilight had been her light through that dark cavern as well, spending as much time with her as possible. Contrary to her usual tendencies, Starlight had found herself relishing in the company, as if the the lingering loner within her had been suppressed. Therefore, she could come to only one conclusion, she was falling for Twilight.

The notion was not particularly surprising, Twilight was both visually appealing and had a very welcoming personality. Then there was their similar interests, both in magic and research, each being one of very few ponies who could keep up with the other. However, more than that, she admired Twilight's selflessness, her willingness to help any pony. Even a pony as depraved and lost as Starlight had once been.

Just as she realised that she was once again gushing over Twilight, Starlight realised that it was too late. Her face barely had time to register her horror before the magic wrenched itself from her grasp and exploded outwards, tearing both mages from their hooves. Twilight was thrown headlong into a set of shelves, several books tumbling from their perch and raining onto her head. Starlight ended up a few feet to the alicorn's left, only worsening the cascade of books when her weight crashed into the ceiling high bookcase.

“O-ow...” Twilight groaned, raising her hooves to her throbbing head. “That...That could have went better.”

Several books fell to the side, as Starlight's surfaced from the sea of knowledge, clutching her own head. She would be feeling this one for a while, everything seemed to meld together in a haze of dizziness and pain. Through the fog, a lavender hoof appeared in her peripheral vision. Grasping it, she heaved herself to her feet, more books tumbling to the floor. Whether their magical prowess was truly equal or not, Twilight's status would always give her the physical edge. Alicorns were designed to take much more punishment than unicorns. Something Starlight had learned very quickly in their mock magic duels.

As soon as their eyes locked, Starlight's heart began to beat rapidly, while her stomach tied itself in knots. Those deep amethyst eyes, so full of genuine concern and warmth. She could lose herself within them, if she allowed herself to. Instead, she found herself having to break eye contact, making a big deal out of scanning the destruction she had caused. “Sorry. I guess I'm a bit out of my groove today.” If only Twilight knew... Also, she was definitely hanging around with Rainbow Dash was too much if she was going to start using the word groove like that.

Oblivious to Starlight's inner torment, Twilight chuckled.“It's fine. Chaos magic is, unlike anything I've ever attempted before.” Twilight chuckled, looking around at the state of her library. Spending time with Starlight really had put the collection of books through their paces. Thankfully, two powerful spell users made the process of cleaning up a breeze. Especially after Starlight had taught her how to properly combine accelero and similo duplexis to clone herself. Definitely a very useful invention, with a multitude of varied applications.

Now looking at two Twilight's, Starlight was convinced Fluttershy had released a swarm of butterflies into her digestive system. Her problems had effectively doubled, and she felt like her heart wanted to break out of her rib cage. Masking her anxiety with cockiness, she raised an eyebrow and smirked. “I'm willing to bet that one of me, can clean up more books than two of you.”

Twilight had been about to respond, when an accelero boosted Starlight started rapidly whizzing around the room. She was nothing more than a lilac, indigo and teal blur, re-sorting the shelves in a couple of seconds. Skidding to a halt, she glanced over her shoulder at Twilight, who was simply smiling, having not moved an inch. There was only one of her now though, so Starlight's heart slowed down a notch, a very insignificant notch. Huffing, she narrowed her eyes at the alicorn, tossing her mane back over her shoulder haughtily. “You didn't even try!”

Laughing, Twilight just grinned and nodded. “True, but you were the one who made the mess.” Starlight had to give her that one, even if they had both been working on the spell, she had been in control when it exploded. Knowing that she had won, Twilight widened her grin and gently brushed Starlight's cheek with a wing. “Plus two of us moving at that speed would only make a bigger mess.”

Essentially, Starlight had stalled as soon as Twilight's soft feathers had made contact with her cheek, which she was sure was now a rosy shade of scarlet. A tingling sensation, more intense than any borne of magic, raced along her spine, her fur stood on end and every muscle went rigid. A thick, fluffy cloud had taken up residence in her head, which she shook vigorously. The cloud was persistent, shrugging off her attempts to clear her mind.

Sweat clung to her brow, her face becoming uncomfortably flushed, as if she had just run a race. Now that she was once again aware of more than the light tingling on her cheek, she realised that Twilight was staring at her with concern. The wing that had brushed her face was now resting on her shoulder. Struggling to keep a grip on herself, Starlight masked her discomfort with her most convincing smile. “Heh,” she chuckled nervously, rubbing her neck with a hoof. “I guess I turned myself around a bit with that. I haven't pushed myself to quite that speed before.” She gave Twilight a teasing look. “I was expecting competition.”

Only when Twilight's face relaxed, did Starlight drop the false grin she was forcing onto herself. The alicorn's wing lifted off her shoulder, Starlight's eye followed it back to its usual position, resting snugly against Twilight's side. While it was a blessing that her nerves were no longer firing constantly, she found herself missing the contact. Berating herself for such a thought, she straightened up. “I...assume we're taking a break then?”

“Probably a good idea,” Twilight agreed, walking towards the exit. “We can give it another shot later if you're still up for it.”

“Of course I am!” Starlight exclaimed, a smirk that could only be described as cocky tugging at her lips. Her chest puffed out proudly. “I haven't let a single spell beat me yet!”

“No, you tend to overdo them if anything.” Twilight chuckled, opening the door and letting Starlight through. She then closed the door behind them. “It is quite astonishing.”

Like a spark in a dry forest, that small comment set Starlight's body aflame. She was not even sure if it was a compliment or not, yet it still had such a strong effect on her. She really had it bad. Hopefully, it would pass, before things actually dissolved into awkwardness. Clearing her throat, she tried to distract Twilight, and herself, with a question. “So, uh, what are we going to do now then?”

“I think we could both use a bite to eat,” Twilight suggested. As if to accentuate her point, Twilight's stomach let out a low rumble.

Starlight glanced down at her own belly region, which was still writhing, and winced. Food was not an appealing thought in her current state. “I think I'll take a walk first. Make sure everything is still in the right place.” The last part was supposed to be a joke, but her heart felt like it was trying to escape through her ribcage. Was that actually possible? That was one question she would rather leave untested.

“Oh...” Twilight frowned slightly, before brightening quickly. “Okay! Have fun.”

Smiling wryly, Starlight summoned magic to her horn. A teleportation spell was perhaps a little reckless, but that was just part of who she was. “I'll try. I'll probably bump into you.” Then she disappeared in a blinding flash of teal.

Lowering the wing she had used to shield her eyes, Twilight let out a breath. That had been fun, even with the little mishap. Chaos magic was going to be an interesting mountain to conquer, one she would not be conquering alone. That thought alone, was enough to make her wings flutter with excitement.

Taking note of her bedraggled appearance, Starlight decided to have her walk inside the castle. The cavernous halls were more than large enough and in all honesty she just could not be bothered fighting with a hairbrush at the current second. Besides, there was still plenty of the castle left for her to explore. Away from Twilight, her heart had finally given up its relentless pursuit for freedom, being content to simply ache within her chest.

Wandering the hallways had become a favourite pastime of hers. At first it had simply been necessary, the only way she could learn the bizarre layout of the massive castle in a timely fashion, but over time it had evolved into an effective way for her to unwind.

Restlessness came both quickly and cheaply to her. Nightmares were not the only cause of her sleepless nights. Twilight had theorised that her abundance of magical energy was the cause, though they had never gotten around to testing it thoroughly. All she knew was that resting was incredibly difficult for her, unless she exhausted her reserves completely.

Gradually, her pace began to increase, until she was powering through the castle at a brisk walk. This really was getting ridiculous. Not even her meeting with Sunburst had elicited this level of nerves from her. Here she was, one of the most powerful magic users in Equestria, student of the Princess of Friendship, crushing like a school filly, and being obvious about it!

“I know I should just tell her something...” Starlight muttered, shaking her head. “But what if I do say something and then it just...goes away?” Enveloped in her thoughts, she had completely lost any sense of her surroundings. “Rarity would probably help...but I don't think a new dress and a pep talk involving cheesy romance novels is what I need.”

Her inner ramblings would have continued, if she had not suddenly found herself slamming into an open door. Spike had been carefully carrying a stack of comics out of his room when he heard something smack into his door. The loud, sharp thud caused him to fumble, almost dropping tower of paper. Using his foot, he grabbed the side of the door and started to shut it. This brought him face to face with Starlight, who had her nose clamped in her hooves.

“Mmph! Hugh Spugh...” she groaned, trying to speak through her hooves. Apparently Spike had no idea what she was trying to say, judging by the quizzical look he was shooting her. This castle really did still hate her.

“Uh...are you okay?” he asked, carefully placing the stack of comics down onto the floor.

Still holding onto her muzzle, Starlight tried to reply. “Aft fum yr...” She paused, then grumbled and pulled her hooves away. “Aside from your door smacking me in the nose, I'm fine.” It hurt to talk, but she could just about manage it. Once done, her hooves returned to pressing against her nose.

“Oh. Hehe, yeah sorry about that. Didn't know you were there.” Spike said apologetically, contemplating running for an ice pack before Starlight's nose became the size of a balloon.

Starlight rolled her eyes, once again removing her hooves so she could be understood. “It wasn't your fault Spike, there was no way you could have known. I'm just getting more and more tempted to turn this castle inside out. This is probably the first castle I've ever heard to hold a grudge.”

Snorting, Spike ducked back into his room and grabbed a cold bottle of water. It would do in a pinch. “You're still on that?” he asked, as Starlight placed the bottle over her now very red nose. If only it was Hearth's Warming, Spike thought to himself as he sat down beside her.

“If you'd had the amount of issues I'd had since coming to the castle you'd start to wonder too,” Starlight reasoned, throwing her hoof outwards and gesturing around the room. “I'm not saying most of it wasn't probably called for, but I think it's getting ridiculous now.” Her hoof stomped down onto the crystal floor. The noise it made was impressive, but all she really succeeded in doing was cause a shooting pain to race up her ankle. Today was not her day.

“Uh...huh...” Shrugging, Spike tried to change the subject. Maybe there was something to Starlight's theory, but all it really did was work her up into a tizzy. “So, how did chaos magic go?” He snickered, nudging her with an elbow. “Chaotically?” Starlight glared at him, though with a bottle pressed against her nose it lost all desired effect and only made his merriment grow.

His mirth was infectious and Starlight found herself giggling along. She gave the young dragon a light push and he fell over, still laughing. “You could say that. I...kind of got distracted, lost control of the magic and blew up Twilight's library...again.”

This made Spike's ears perk up, and his laughter faded away. “Distracted. Huh, that's not like you. Not when it comes to magic anyway.” He was pushing his luck, but maybe he could solve a problem, that two geniuses were too silly to. “Let me guess... a certain alicorn on your mind?”

Starlight froze, dropping the bottle of what was now ice and letting it roll across the floor. Slowly, she turned to Spike, who was smiling up at her simply, green eyes glittering mischievously. Thinking about it, she could hardly be surprised. Spike had very quickly become adept at seeing right through her masks, allowing him to slip under her defences. He was also not one to beat around the bush about it either.

“How long have you known?” she asked, grabbing the frozen bottle and idly spinning it around in her magic. Whenever the bottle was the right way up, the water was a liquid and whenever the bottle was upside down, it was filled with ice.

Spike found himself watching the changing states of matter for a moment. His shoulders moved up and down once. “About a week. You keep stealing furtive glances at her, and every time she's around you tend to mess up on your spells. I assume it's been going on for much longer though.” The last statement was pointed, waiting for Starlight to confirm or deny it.

“Eh...” Starlight drew out the sound, stalling for time as she fumbled around for an answer. “I...I guess. After I got over my bitterness I kind of started admiring her.” She broke off, waiting for Spike to say something. Instead, he stayed quiet, nudging her again, a clear hint that she should continue. With a heavy sigh, she did so, her eyes glazing over as she turned in on herself. With her newfound awkwardness around Twilight, Spike was the only friend she felt truly comfortable around. So she felt she might as well take advantage of his help.

“After that, I started considering her a friend, more than a teacher. We started just, talking and learning spells together.” Her face morphed into a gentle smile, voice becoming softer and dream-like. “I could actually, be myself. I didn't have to hide my love of magic, for any reason. I...I haven't been able to do that since I was a filly...” Rising to her hooves, Starlight started to walk forward aimlessly. Quickly, Spike made to follow her, grabbing his comics along the way. Almost instantly he felt them pulled from his grasp. Dropping his arms down to his sides, the young dragon followed the unicorn, who was floating all of his comics above her head, while still manipulating the bottle and its contents.

“It felt nice I guess, having someone to talk to about anything.” She chuckled, flicking her tail and gently brushing Spike's elbow. “You're the same y'know... Even before I could talk to Twilight...I could talk to you. I don't know why it was easy, it just was. So...thanks for that.”

A warmth blossomed in Spike's chest, the same bubbling contentment that he felt whenever performing his role as Twilight's Number One Assistant. He winked up at Starlight, giving her a thumbs up. “No problem. I've sorta had a lot of practise with crazy unicorns who have more magic than they know what to do with.”

The accurate description of herself, and the implications of Spike's childhood with Twilight, brought a titter of laughter up from Starlight's chest “I bet you have. Still...it helped, a lot.” She stopped abruptly, letting Spike get a few steps ahead. Before he realised what was happening, she had wrapped a hoof around him and pulled him into a hug. They stayed like that for a moment, Spike having to twist his upper body to return the gesture. Straightening, Starlight let go and began to walk once more. “Anyway...I guess... I dunno when I started feeling like this... Everything started to intensify after defeating Chrysalis...but, I think it truly started before that, I...I don't really know.”

“Probably around the time you started going out of your way to impress her.” Spike interjected, frowning thoughtfully. “Anyway. That's not what's important really. What are you gonna do about it?”

Eyes darting around nervously, Starlight made sure to look anywhere but Spike. Her plan was weak, flimsy, but it was the only logical solution she could think of. “Umm... wait and hope it goes away if I'm honest.” A loud groan beside her made her wince noticeably. Evidently Spike did not agree with this plan.

Quietly, Spike shook his head, muttering something about unicorns being completely useless at love. Starlight wanted to make a quip about a particular white unicorn but decided to hold her tongue. When he finally spoke, Spike's voice was tender, and wise beyond his years. “Starlight, this isn't going to go away.” Taking a breath, he let the words swirl around in her brain before continuing. “Not if you don't do anything about it. You're always going to be kept wondering, and things will only get more and more awkward.”

“And if she doesn't feel the same way?” Starlight interrupted, her pace quickening once more, forcing Spike to jog to keep up. “Then me blurting out my feelings is going to make things awkward anyway! I don't even know what I feel, and I'm having a hard time liking myself at times. I owe basically everything to Twilight, absolutely everything! Why would she ever...” Her words died, as a clawed hand gently wrapped around her muzzle. A light whimper escaped her, as Spike's thumb pressed painfully against her still throbbing snout.

As if burned, Spike removed his hand, having forgotten about her run in with his door. “Sorry. I forgot. I just didn't want to hear you beating yourself up any more.” He had leapt onto her back, one claw supporting him and the other curling around her chest. “C'mon. Let's go back to your room. I wanna show you something.”

In an instant, they materialised in Starlight's room. Spike was sent tumbling from Starlight's back, holding his head. No matter how many times a unicorn, or alicorn, teleported him without prior warning, his poor head would never get used to the experience. Even through her frustration, Starlight averted her eyes sheepishly. That had probably been a bit too forceful.

“I'll just take that as payback for grabbing you,” Spike said softly, waving off her mumbled apologies. “Anyway, we're here.”

“Yeah... Why did you want to come to my room specifically?”

“Because a bathroom would be too awkward, and I needed a mirror. Plus your room is always tidy, mine...kind of isn't at the minute.” He let out a strained chuckle, fidgeting with his claws.

Amused at how easily he could lose his steam, Starlight allowed herself to smile. No longer breathing heavily, she lightly patted his head with a hoof. “I won't tell Twilight. Now...why did we need a mirror?”

Gesturing to Starlight's desk, Spike explained. “I want you to see what I see. Look into it.”

Temptation tugged at Starlight, the temptation to simply ignore the young dragon and teleport away once more. Yet, she found herself looking at her reflection anyway, scrutinising every individual strand of her mane. In the end, she backed away, shaking her head in disgust. “I see myself, looking like I always do. Except now I need an extended meeting with a hairbrush.” So saying, she reached with her magic to grab the instrument, which had been a gift from Rarity. However, it was not anywhere on her desk. A pattering sound drew her attention, so she twisted her body to see Spike, gently drumming his claws on her hairbrush. As soon as her magical aura surrounded it, he clamped his grip tight, refusing to let go.

A cheeky grin split his face, and he hopped up onto her bed. It was the only position in the room which would give him the elevation he needed. “I'll do it.”

Taken aback, Starlight had to take a second to register what she had just heard. Narrowing her eyes, she fixed the dragon with a deadpan stare. What was he playing at? “And since when did you have an interest in brushing manes?”

Turning the hairbrush over in his claws, Spike gave a non-committal shrug. “Not sure. It was something I used to do with Twilight before we moved to Ponyville. That way she could still read and not go to lessons looking like she just woke up.”

“Makes sense I guess,” Starlight admitted, but still kept her distance, eyeing the turning brush warily. “Why the sudden urge?”

“If you let me do it I'll explain.”

He had her at that, they both knew it. Curiousity was one of Starlight's biggest flaws, any lingering questions always gnawed away at her. Not willing to give her already twisted mind any more leverage against her, Starlight relented and walked over to sit next to the bed. “Go ahead then, but you'd better keep your word.”

“I will. Dragon's honour,” Spike assured her, taking the soft, silky strands of Starlight's hair into his claws. The feeling really brought back memories but he pushed them aside for now. “You want to know what I see what I look at you?”

“The back of my head?” Starlight answered mockingly. She could almost feel Spike's glare burning through her. Chuckling, she waved a hoof and said softly. “Sorry. No I really have no idea, enlighten me.”

“I see a unicorn who found herself again. You used to care only about yourself and now so much has changed. You're a unicorn who can keep up with an alicorn, do you have any idea how impressive that is? And Twilight was good at magic before!”

Starlight said nothing, keeping herself perfectly still. Gathering his thoughts, Spike carefully dragged the brush through her mane, then continued. “You've made really great strides you know. Before you were unable to find your way around the castle, and just a few weeks ago you were able to defeat Chrysalis using no magic at all. You realised that sharing love was much better than taking it, just as you realised that sharing and embracing talents was better than trying to suppress them.”

Here, Starlight recoiled slightly. Spike really did not pull his punches. It was an admirable trait, and one that had probably helped her progress more rapidly than if he had treated her like glass. Even so, the comments did sting, like a wasp buzzing in her heart. A wasp that would probably never truly be put to rest.

“Had to be said,” Spike murmured apologetically, still continuing his delicate ministrations. Her mane was finished with, all evidence of her magical mishap removed, yet he continued to brush. “Anyway, Twilight used to always be alone. Even in Canterlot, no one could keep up with her magically and being Celestia's personal student only made things worse. People tended to avoid her, or only wanted to be in competition with her. Her studying habits pushed any of her real friends away. She was lonely, though she didn't know it at the time. Then she came to Ponyville and found her friends, but still no one who she could really discuss magic with. Sure everyone would come to her with magical problems, but there was a time when she was ashamed to even show her abilities off...she was afraid everyone would hate her for them.”

“I heard about that,” Starlight whispered huskily, the thought causing her to shudder. “That was your first meeting with Trixie right?”

“Yeah, funnily enough,” Spike responded, smiling at the slight irony. “After that she practised her magic a lot more freely, but still alone...” He fell quiet, removing the brush from Starlight's mane and gently turning her head so that their eyes met. “Until she met you. You were the first pony she could ever share her passion with, and it made her so happy. That's why she gets so carried away with friendship lessons sometimes... She enjoys spending time with you. She wants to know when you're feeling happy, or sad. You always keep it bottled close to your chest, which...well it's not really fair is it? All that does is make everyone have to work harder to get it out of you.”

“I...I never thought of it like that.” An expression of subdued regret passed across Starlight's face, her eyelids drooping dejectedly. “I was just trying not to be a burden.”

“I'm not saying you need to tell us everything. We all have secrets. Like the state of my room right now.” That got Starlight to crack a smile. “I just really think you should tell her this. She'd want to know. Even if it does turn into nothing, you'll feel a lot better. If it does turn into something, then well you didn't miss your shot.”

“And if it did turn into something?” Starlight asked. “How would you feel about it?”

The answer came to Spike almost immediately. He placed his hand on her shoulder, squeezing gently. “I'd be completely fine with it.” Smiling, he reached over and placed her brush on the bedside table. “As for why I brushed your hair...” Starlight straightened, a childish eagerness glinting in her sapphire eyes as she waited with bated breath for her curiosity to be sated. Savouring the rare moment where Starlight looked completely unburdened, Spike grinned. “Welcome to the family.”

If Starlight had not already been seated, she would have lost control of her legs. Her body was numb, mind too busy trying to process what had been said, and formulate an appropriate reaction, to worry about trivial things such as breathing. Colours flashed behind her eyes, and the numbness quickly gave way to itchy pins and needles, coupled with a stabbing in her chest. Panting, Starlight tried to force air back into her deprived lungs.

Only when her breathing had slowed to its regular rhythm, and her lungs were satisfied, did Starlight lift her gaze back to Spike. The young dragon was staring at her, concern obviously saturating his small frame. Not needing words, she lunged forwards and threw her arms around him and pulled him tightly against her. It was his turn to be deprived of air, not that he minded. Bursting with happiness, he wrapped his arms around her neck and buried his face into her shoulder.

They stayed like that for several seconds, then Starlight pulled away. Tears blurred her vision, forcing her to blink rapidly. “Thanks Spike. That...That means a lot more to me than you know... Really.”

“I know... You're welcome.” he said softly, reaching up and touching her chest. Her heart thudded against his palm. “Now. How about we deal with this.”

Suddenly brimming with confidence, Starlight nodded. No matter what happened, nothing could bring her down, and absolutely nothing would hold her back. What Spike had just given her, she would never be able to express her gratitude for. “L-Let's go...”

Together, they searched the castle for Twilight, finding the alicorn in the kitchen. Hearing their approach, she turned and beamed. “Hi! Good timing! I just made pancakes. Are you hungry?”

“Yeah!” Spike grinned and leapt onto the table, grabbing several. Secretly, Starlight wondered if he ever wasn't hungry.

Both she and Twilight rolled their eyes, but said nothing. Spike's voracious appetite was best left out of spoken conversation. Feeling her body begin to quiver with nervous excitement, Starlight took a firm hold of the platter of treats, which helped to steady her. She placed the tray onto the nearby dining table. It was far too large for two ponies and a dragon, which brought back an old memory. During her first week at the castle, Starlight had eaten at the far end, as far away from Spike and Twilight as possible. Then, as she had warmed up to them, she had gradually moved closer and closer. Now, when Starlight settled down, the space immediately next to her was taken up by Twilight. Spike took up the seat on Twilight's other side.

Twilight started eating with gusto, finally able to sate the appetite she had worked up. Starlight waited patiently, her own food going completely untouched. Once Twilight's pace had slowed, Starlight brought her hooves together and pressed her mouth between them. It was now or never, yet still she hesitated. Movement caught her eye, and she shifted her gaze to see Spike grinning encouragingly towards her. Smiling softly, she gave him a small nod. “Umm...Twilight, can we talk? About...something.”

Swallowing her current mouthful of sweetness, Twilight leaned away from her plate. She could hear a seriousness in Starlight's tone, which demanded her full attention. “Of course. We can always talk Starlight. Is something on your mind?”

“Y-you might say that,” Starlight replied, resting her forelimbs back on the table. A hush fell over the table, as she gathered the courage to continue. “I...I imagine you've noticed that I've been distracted as of late?”

“A little.” Twilight answered softly, pushing her plate away.

“Well...It hasn't just been because of Chrysalis' threat. At first it was, but then it became something else. I just kept saying it was Chrysalis because that was...well, easier. Sorry.” Mouth dry, Starlight looked down into the polished wood below her hooves. Deception had become less of a crutch for her during her stay with Twilight, but it was one she was still learning not to rely on.

Taking a deep breath, she raised her head and flicked her eyes skyward. “The truth is...it isn't something that's on my mind. It's someone.”

“Someone?” Twilight asked, tilting her head in confusion. Spike was only able to resist slamming his face into his claws because Twilight clicked to what her student was saying. “Oh...I...I see... Um...who? If you don't mind me asking of course.” She added the last part hastily, not wanting to seem like she was prying.

“I don't...” Starlight murmured, finally turning her gaze towards Twilight. “For an obvious reason actually.” A lump formed in her throat, pressing painfully against her windpipe. Twilight remained patient, a pleasant smile etched onto her face. Swallowing hard, Starlight was able to loosen her throat just enough for words to escape. “Well... it's...actually...you, Twilight.”

Of all the answers, that had been the one she had been least expecting. Twilight froze, her jaw going slack as she tried to process just what Starlight had said. No one had ever admitted to harboring feelings for her ever before, or if they had she had been too wrapped up in her studies to notice. Now that she was faced with the scenario, she had no idea what to do. None of the countless books she had read on the subject could have prepared her for what was happening, right now, in her own dining room.

Her hoof came to rest on her chest, which had begun to rise and fall rapidly. “M-me?”

A small nod was Starlight's only response. She was pressed against the back of her seat, as if trying to sink into it. Her attempt was not incredibly successful. In truth all she managed to do was hurt her back on the intricate patterns now digging into her.

“A-are you sure?” Twilight asked, unable to help herself. The idea was still so, foreign to her.

“No, I snuck into Applejack's cider cellar and the fumes got to me,” Starlight huffed, folding her arms across her chest, one eye twitching. Had that really been Twilight's response? Almost instantly, she paled, realising just what she had said, and who she was talking to. “S-sorry...That was stupid... I just... didn't really expect the reaction... Are you sure? Yes...Yes I'm sure... As annoying as my head can be... it tends to be pretty clear about it's annoyances.”

One of Twilight's wings began to itch, giving her a perfect excuse to hide her blushing face. That really had been a particularly silly thing to ask. “Y-yeah... sorry. I just wasn't really expecting my student to confess their like for me over pancakes. Then again, who does expect something like that, heh heh.”

“You mean you haven't learned to expect the unexpected from me?” Starlight asked, feigning horror. “I'd have expected you to expect something like this.”

“Okay can we please stop using the word expected!” Spike yelled out, grabbing his ears and yanking them downwards

Both mares blinked at the sudden outburst, then started to laugh heartily. Two loud thumps sounded as they both fell out of their chairs, still laughing. Slumping back into his own chair, Spike sighed and shook his head. His hands mechanically started reaching for whatever food was rest on the table, bringing it to his mouth. As much as he loved the pair, they could really be ridiculous. Though, maybe that was why he loved them so much, and they both had absolutely nothing on Pinkie Pie.

Eventually, the two laughing mares recovered, rising back to their hooves. The motion brought them close together, almost touching. Starlight could feel Twilight's body heat radiating against her. Even with her secret out, she still felt her legs turn to jelly. Stumbling to the side, she grabbed the table to keep herself from flopping to the floor. “Sorry...I really do have it bad.”

“Maybe...” Twilight shuffled her wings slightly, before letting them go still at her sides. “I...admit that I really don't know how to react to this. I like you, as a friend, a lot. We live together technically, romance is just something I haven't really considered. Well...aside from a brief stint in the human world, but you can imagine how that went... Long distance relationships are one thing... Cross dimensional ones are...”

“...another thing entirely,” Starlight finished, to which Twilight nodded in confirmation. “Fair enough. Up until recently I hadn't considered it either. I had a lot of other things on my mind.” She let out a small self depreciating chuckle. “Equality and all that... Then before I was with Sunburst all the time but he was just a good friend. I guess we were too young for it to be any different.”

“So it seems that neither of us really know what we're doing,” Twilight surmised, the thought amusing her. It was a rare occurrence, but she found it to be an exciting one. “Just like chaos magic if you think about it.”

Starlight blinked, once again standing on her own four, somewhat steady hooves. She flicked her tail idly. “I hadn't, but you're right. Which reminds me, now that we're on the subject. Why do you even think Discord gave us that challenge in the first place?” Her eyes scanned the nearest window suspiciously, looking for any irregularity in the world outside. Discord was usually planning something, and with the two distracted he could have transported them to another dimension with ease.

Twilight followed the unicorn's gaze but remained at ease. “Most likely he just wanted me to admit that I couldn't accomplish it. Which I'd like to make clear I am far from doing!” She called out the last sentence, just in case he was listening, as one could never tell with the draconnequis. Once upon a time she had been too suspicious of Discord, and made herself to look like a fool. She would rather not jump any more rash conclusions.

A determined look hardened Starlight's gaze, complimented by a confident smirk. “I wouldn't worry. As soon as I get this...” she pointed to her head, then to her heart. “...and this, back on focus, it'll be a piece of cake.”

Finding the enthusiasm of her student infectious, Twilight flared her wings, a whoosh of air ruffling Starlight's mane. “Of course it will! And as for your focus...” She paused, tapping her hoof against her cheek as she hummed a thoughtful tune. “...well, we could, try it out. If you want.”

Starlight's eyebrow shot into her mane. Despite her best efforts to hide them by preening her wings, Twilight's cheeks had turned scarlet. It was an interesting twist in the tables. Though she was tempted, and her heart was screaming at her to just accept, she had to be absolutely sure. Twilight was the kind of pony who would put herself out for another's benefit, and Starlight was not about to start a relationship based on that. That much she knew, would not end well.

“If...Only if you're sure,” she said softly, cupping Twilight's cheek in a hoof and forcing the alicorn to look at her.

Holding the gaze, Twilight nodded, gently pushing Starlight's hoof back to ground. “Yeah. I'm sure.”

Starlight's stare became piercing, as she tried to discern whether Twilight was being honest. One good thing about being a former liar and manipulator, one could generally tell when they were being lied to. Impulse, and perhaps a bit of recklessness, drove her forward. Leaning closer to Twilight, she planted a chaste kiss on the alicorn's cheek. It was a strange, yet pleasant, feeling, one that lingered on her lips long after she pulled away. “Okay then. Let's see where this goes.”

Satisfied, Spike slipped away from the table. His work here was done, for now at least, and he would rather leave the pair alone. No doubt there would be plenty of time to observe their adventure into the world of romance later. For now, he had his own business to attend to. Picking up his comics, the young dragon made his way out of the castle. Big Mac had a lot of excellent hoofball cards, and these duplicate comics were his ticket to them.

Turning back to the table, Starlight found herself suddenly famished. Unfortunately, she found it completely bare. Everything on all three plates and the platter had been devoured. The absence of a certain dragon was all too telling. As much as she to thank him for, he would pay for stealing her food. “Well...that's...something,” she said slowly, blinking at the empty table. “How...How is he still that small?”

Her exclamation rung out through the castle. Twilight chuckled, having often wondered the same thing. Extending one wing, she gently wrapped it around Starlight's shoulder. This time, Starlight leaned into the contact, relishing in the warmth. Her heart throbbed a little faster, but pleasantly, rather than uncomfortably. “So...chaos magic?” she asked, grabbing an oatcake from the pantry.

“Sounds like a good idea to me,” Twilight said with a smile. “Though afterwards I really want to read up on romance.”

Rolling her eyes at the very Twilight response to anything new, Starlight chuckled. Closing one eye for a flurry of heartbeats, she winked at the purple alicorn, who had now successfully stolen her heart. “Sounds like a date to me. I'll try not to throw the romance books too far away.”

Laughter filled the air as the pair walked towards the library. This was certainly going to be an adventure, and Starlight could not help but be excited for it. This was what it was like, to belong.

Author's Note:

Hi everyone! Me again. This is just going to be a little side project. I've been getting a lot of weird urges to write romance, and it just doesn't fit into every story. Plus, I want a place where I can practise being more light hearted. Too much heaviness really gets draining after a while. This isn't going to be a very long story, maybe three or four chapters. I hope you enjoy! If you see anything I can improve on, please don't hesitate to comment. It's the only way I will improve after all.

Comments ( 8 )

This is really, really cute. I will be watching.

7898764 Thanks for the comment. I'm glad you enjoyed. Have a nice day!

Where are the zombies? This tittle is very misleading :fluttershysad:

JK :twilightblush: it was a good read

7899442 LOL. I assume you're talking about RE7? Heh, tbh this was going to be called "Sparkle Sparkle, Little Starlight" in reference to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. However, I decided to change the title because of the line Spike says in this. I was watching a RE7 Video on YT titled Welcome to the Family, not 2 hours after I wrote that line, and the title just stuck. Glad you enjoyed reading regardless of their being no zombies. :P Have a nice day!

Their friends must be informed but Pinkie Pie knows.

7900525 Pinkie Pie knew before they knew. She had this party planned in season 1.

nice story!

Actually, I reckon you're wrong. Think this is gonna be one chapter somehow...

Login or register to comment