• Published 2nd Feb 2017
  • 6,272 Views, 75 Comments

Running on Fumes - TheTalentlessPony



Fluttershy comes home one day, and Discord is there. She's not... herself. Discord isn't sure how to feel.

  • ...
7
 75
 6,272

The Details Are a Bit Shy

Thump, thump, thump...

"N-ngh..."

Fluttershy couldn't comprehend why her head was throbbing so hard. Every motion she made caused her to become dizzy - well, more dizzy - and her face felt particularly hot. She could even hear the pounding of her heartbeat echoing in her ears.

W-what happened...?

She squirmed, her blurry vision still able to recognize that she was on her bed, though she couldn't recall ever actually going to bed. Well, almost, but it was so foggy that it might as well have been a non-existent memory.

She placed her hoof down against the mattress, then pushed, attempting to sit up. It was a bad idea, only making her head throb further.

"I've taken care of all your little chores for the time being, Fluttershy. You can rest easily today."

"H-huh?"

Despite her swaying, she shifted, seeing Discord relaxing on a wooden chair near her bed; well, as much as a large draconequus like him could relax on a chair made for a pony.

Her hoof was at her cheek as she wondered why he was there in the first place. "W-what time is it?"

"Far past the normal time you typically wake up at," Discord taunted with an amused smile.

Her eyes widened, and she nearly panicked before his earlier words caught up with her. "...W-wait, you... did everything for the animals today?"

"Don't get any ideas!" he said in typical over-dramatic fashion. He was at her side in a minute, gesturing to himself. "I have no intention of taking your job! I simply took over while you were," he paused, "incapacitated."

"Oh gosh, was I?" she asked, rubbing her head. "B-but I don't remember... what happened?"

He debated on whether or not to tell her, but she was staring at him, as if begging him to.

"...Well." He briefly considered telling her the fun Discord-y way, but it didn't take a genius to see that loud noises and bright flashes of magic would only startle and make her current condition worse. For once, he'd be considerate about telling someone a story.

He tried to leave the more... "enthralling" details out, but he didn't skip anything important. He told her the story, explaining how she came home, how she was affected by dragon fumes, and how she practically had animalistic - as he'd described them - instincts while chasing him around the cottage. He still had to suppress the occasional chuckle.

Fluttershy listened carefully, though gasping as he talked about her pouncing on him. She couldn't imagine herself doing such bizarre things, but Discord wasn't a liar, so she believed him.

As much as Discord had tried to leave her exact words out, a certain three were digging into the back of her mind.

She seemed to notice, leaning closer to him as if pressing for the whole truth.

"...It was the oddest thing, really," he began, looking off in the distance. "The moment I tried to leave you to yourself, you belted out in the clearest voice," he made a dramatic gesture with his hand, "a declaration of love, Fluttershy, just for your old buddy Discord!" He snickered at the memory, despite the warmth across his muzzle. "I've seen ponies on dragon fumes before, but nothing quite as bizarre as that has ever happened! I wonder if it was because the former Dragon Lord was the one affecting you?"

He looked back to get her opinion on it, but faltered as he noticed her face. She looked like she'd just seen a ghost, her pupils shrunken in as she stared down at the blanket. Was she embarrassed? Horrified?

He brought his head down to be within her field of view, but she immediately averted her gaze.

"Y-you... you think it's weird, d-don't you?"

He tilted his head. "Fluttershy, you weren't yourself! You didn't mean—"

He noticed her wince, and it clicked with him. She had meant every word. She might not've been in the right mindset, and a few of the silly things she did definitely weren't things she'd do, but the affectionate phrases she'd used at him and the love she declared were very much real.

He was silent for a long moment, seeing that Fluttershy was looking rather miserable about the whole thing.

Then, he snorted. The snort turned into chuckles, and the chuckles turned into loud fits of laughter, like he'd just heard the funniest joke in the whole world.

Fluttershy's eyes widened at him, and of course her immediate thought was that he found her crush funny. She hung her head, embarrassed beyond belief, then moved, trying to get off the bed.

Discord stopped her, trying to calm himself down. "I-I'm sorry, Fluttershy! It's not you! It's just too hilarious!"

He shook his head, his laughter slowly dying down. Fluttershy was near tears, not understanding, but then noticed that Discord's expression wasn't mocking in the slightest. In fact, he looked positively elated. She'd never seen him so happy, actually.

"Here I was, avoiding you that entire time, when I never had to!"

It took another moment until he was finally calm. Fluttershy was still gazing at him with the most confused expression he'd ever seen on her. "W-what do you mean?"

He smirked. He predicted that reaction.

"It was ridiculous to think you wouldn't have actually fallen for me, wasn't it? I agree!" His voice was actually shaking with delight, dripping with the essence of his previous laughter.

Fluttershy squeaked as he took her face in his hand, looking up at him with a small blush on her face. "D-Discord?"

"Now now, my dear," he waved his free hand dismissively, "let me apologize properly like the gentleman I am."

She only had a moment's notice on that before he suddenly kissed her. Her ears straightened. The warmth in her cheeks intensified and spread to the rest of her. The throbbing in her head eased. For the moment his lips made contact with hers, she felt back to normal, and even a little better. She was in a state of bliss.

The daze she was in returned as he pulled away, though she was unsure if it was due to her condition or the kiss itself.

He loved her, he really did, just like she loved him. She couldn't stop a smile from spreading across her face.

Discord was looking adorably smug about it, probably due to how flustered he'd made her. She looked down at the blanket below, lightly running it between her hooves to shyly avoid his gaze. "Discord?"

"Mm?" His smile was full of even more confidence than usual. He could tell that she liked the kiss.

"W-would it be too much trouble if I asked you to make us some tea?" She blushed. "I'd like to relax and have tea with you today."

"And you don't like to relax and have tea with me any other day?" he asked with mock hurt. The pillow thrown in his face by a flustered Fluttershy gave him his answer, the two sharing a small giggle over it.

He got up off the bed, glancing back at her before leaving in typical Discord fashion, turning into a slinky and fleeing down the stairs.

She smiled, then turned, laying on her side and pulling the nearest pillow to her.

A small squeal of delight left her, and she hugged the pillow lovingly while fondly whispering Discord's name. Even if she hadn't confessed in the way she wanted, she still did it.

She spent the rest of the day with him at her side. They drank their tea, and she occasionally uttered sweet nothings to him, almost as if she was back in her loopy state of mind.

Only this time, she was fully aware of what she was saying, and felt great joy in not needing to hide it.

Author's Note:

So, I've already been writing a lot of Fluttercord lately, but I had this random idea in my head and wanted to make it happen; something silly, but also not.

I'm always nervous to go outside my usual boundaries; I stick to what I know and, even when I try to go outside my usual range, I get too scared to do anything with it, so it ends up collecting dust on my laptop. But, I'll never get better if I don't try, so while Fluttercord is obviously something I'm comfortable with, the idea of a character acting like Fluttershy is... well, it's not my usual range.

My only hope is that you guys enjoyed it and/or am glad I stepped out of my comfort zone. I was really shy about posting this so I'm doing it while I'm half awake and not in the proper mindset to freak out about it. :raritydespair:

Comments ( 57 )

Drunksy is always hilarious (don't try to deny it, 'dragon fumes' obviously make ponies drunk, so much fun to be had there), and this was an especially amusing way to present it.

7915418
A POSITIVE COMMENT. PRAISE CELESTIA. :raritydespair:

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I WAS DYING OVER HERE THINKING PEOPLE'D FIND IT WEIRD OR SOMETHING.

And so, she stepped out of her comfort zone. And the people cheered.

*CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAP* SO FREAKING ADORABLE AHHHHHH

I feel like we see Discord in nearly exactly the same way, or close to it. Especially how he laughs at nearly everything, but there's different ones for it. Like his blatant arrogance here.

"It was ridiculous to think you wouldn't have actually fallen for me, wasn't it? I agree!" His voice was actually shaking with delight, dripping with the essence of his previous laughter.

YAAAAAAAAAAASS HAHAHAHAHAHA. That's exactly how he'd react to this in my mind.

And the kiss was so lovely. *sighs a bajillion sighs* I love the feeling of my ship sailing against the sunset...~ I hope you write many more for us to read, heeeeeeeee~.

7915476 No no, no need to change it! Goodness, something as small as that doesn't change how I feel on the story (though given how petty some readers are, I don't blame you for asking). Besides, the story's cute and funny enough that I think it fits. Dragon fumes make a pony a little loosy-goosy up there, so of course they'd use stupid nicknames (or slur names to sound like dumb nicknames).

7915487
KSDGNSDJG I JUST LOVE YOUR COMMENTS SO MUCH D/////:

I feel like we see Discord in nearly exactly the same way, or close to it.

Every time I write him, you mean? Because ohmygosh you're too kind stahp.

7915496 *Nod nod* Especially as of late, yes! With the way you write him, that is. Not with me being too kind, lol.

7915495
Haha, yeah, Discord doesn't like it either; it doesn't sound right coming from Fluttershy's mouth and just in general he's like, "I appreciate the nickname but I never agreed to this! Where's the contract I can tear up to stop this madness???"

7915507
Ahhh, thank you. ;///; His consistency's been very important to me, though I try to vary up the situations he's in so he's in different moods (in An Apple a Night, he's supportive, in Flutterientation, he's conflicted, and in this one, he's flustered, for example). I find that I can touch on all aspects of him that way and grow to have a better understanding of him as an overall character.

:yay: I DID IT!
:raritywink: Did what my dear
:fluttercry: What Spike said before we caught you two
:raritystarry: caught us what?
:flutterrage: I WAS TOO CUTE FOR DISCORD!
:twilightoops:
:moustache: Wut?
:duck: nothing my Spikey Wikey


This was golden cuteness . . .:pinkiehappy::heart:

Well, I can see why this was featured. :raritywink:

7916688
WHAT? NO, I DON'T BELIEVE--

One Look at the Front Page Later

aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOT AGAIN I'M GONNA DIE OF EMBARRASSMENT. D////////:

What are you talking about?! It was hilarious! You are extremely funny.

7916741
There, there. I hear it's a natural part of being talented. :twilightsmile:

7916907
A-ah, you think so? ;///;

I was just afraid that of marking it as "Comedy" in case people didn't find it funny, since comedy's so very subjective. You really think it should be? :twilightblush:

7916981
'Course I do! It's AWESOME!!!

My only hope is that you guys enjoyed it and/or am glad I stepped out of my comfort zone. I was really shy about posting this so I'm doing it while I'm half awake and not in the proper mindset to freak out about it. :raritydespair:

Truth be told? I honestly believe that's the best time to do anything you're embarrassed or nervous about. You don't have the processing power to actually consider what you're doing and you can wing it so much better without those pesky doubts and nerves making it difficult.

And this did come out pretty dang good! It's quite adorable and totally fills the Fluttercord void I have (though I still like Rarishy all the same).

7918036
Aww, thank you! Yeah, sometimes I just feel like I have to post stuff without fear, you know? Then I go through so much of the day while having done nothing and I've woken up so I'm not all there.

Wait...you were "shy" about posting a story with Flutter"shy" in it?
Intentional pun, or just a coincidence?

Either way, you've got yourself a thumbs-up and a star! Despite being a 19-year-old dude, I do like a bit of romance, as long as there's backstory/it makes sense for the characters involved - I just didn't think drugs would be involved (dragon fumes acts like one).

7918550
Pure coincidence, though the fact that I write Fluttershy a lot might have to do with me channeling my shy side into her character.

And yeah, haha, I just wanted to do something silly.

Comment posted by deadpansnarker deleted Feb 3rd, 2017
Comment posted by TheTalentlessPony deleted Feb 3rd, 2017
Comment posted by deadpansnarker deleted Feb 3rd, 2017
Comment posted by TheTalentlessPony deleted Feb 3rd, 2017
Comment posted by ponke deleted Feb 3rd, 2017
Comment posted by deadpansnarker deleted Feb 3rd, 2017

Its completely harmless. Funny, cute and it works fine. Entertained me well enough.

There has been a massacre in the comment section this day. I'm so damn curious what that was about.

7919522
Just some spam and people talking unnecessarily. :twilightsmile: I won't tolerate it.

7918326
Your welcome!!:twilightsmile:

I thought this was really cute, well done! :pinkiehappy: :yay:

You have the personalities of the principals down pat. So easy to envision your story with visuals and voices that match the show. That isn't possible with a good portion of what is published on this site.

Removing all the comments you're not happy with, eh?

7921186
I delete comments that don't provide anything of use to me. If it's not a comment on the story itself (short comments on the ship itself do not count), or if it's just a comment being random for the sake of being random (i.e: spam), it's gone. End of story.

I don't know you. I don't know why you came to this story that was clearly Discoshy/Fluttercord if your comment was legitimate and you didn't like it. I don't know why you came back to check to see if your comment was still there. Maybe you had a bad day, or maybe you legitimately felt like stirring up some trouble. I won't judge you because it doesn't matter to me and I feel like it would be a bad judge of your character.

The only reason I reply to your comment is to defend myself from those who may also think I'm deleting constructive criticism, because I do not. Whether people hate or love my story is very important to me, but if people come here in an attempt to start fights or upset people, trolling or otherwise, I won't tolerate that.

If you want to continue this conversation, please do so over Mail. I have no desire in filling up the comment section explaining why I deleted comments that were literally "Discoshy is the worst ship ever" (because people who say the opposite are at least implying that they liked the story and came here for a reason) or "lol what is Fluttershy doing to Discord in the cover image" (because it's obvious she's not doing anything and I don't need people feeling grossed out here). My low self-esteem is damaging enough as it is without people making comments like those. If people want to toss a dislike just because they don't like the ship regardless of whether they've read the story or not, then fine; I don't approve of blind hatred like that, but at least people don't have to be directly subjected to it.

I now politely ask that you leave. If you persist in replying in the comment section when I specifically requested you to do so over Mail if you want to continue talking, I will block you. I respect that you don't like Discoshy (hence why I did not block/report you on first sight or due to one measly thing), but commenting such things provides nothing of use to me or other commenters aside from making them feel bad. Please respect me and respect the people who come here to have a good time.

Have a nice day.

well that was adorable. I always love a good fluttercord story. plus watching fluttershy be giddy out of her mind is always a hoot.

7923354
Thank you! Haha, glad you enjoyed it. :rainbowwild:

it is really good i hope you write more fluttercord:pinkiehappy:

your stories are becoming a hit.:pinkiehappy:

7924759
I KNOW. IT'S EMBARRASSING. D////:

So is Fluttershy an addict now?

I laughed in joy and I squealed in delight - a perfect combination for any story, I say :twilightsmile:

But seriously, this was good Fluttercord :heart:

8145350
Thank you! Laughter is important here, so I'm glad I made it funny enough. ^^

My second time reading this and still so enjoyable! :pinkiehappy:

This would definitely be on my list of favourite fluttercord fics. It hilarious, cute, and romantic :twilightsmile: Loved it!

Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone gurl! Especially if this is the result :raritywink:

8197149
Aww, thank you! I do have two other out-of-my-comfort-zone ideas, but I'm not sure if I'll write them yet.

I liked it. It was funny

Login or register to comment