• Published 24th Jan 2017
  • 7,600 Views, 342 Comments

A Little Monster - Shadowmane PX-41



When Twilight unleashed the magic, she turned into a magical demon baby. Guess how screwed Sunset and her friends are...

  • ...
18
 342
 7,600

Camp Everfree

Sunset Shimmer sat on a bus with many of her friends from Canterlot High on nearby seats around her. She carefully held Twilight close to her chest as her feet knocked against the backs beneath her as they travelled down the road and into what looked like a forest. As she played with her, she also drew the attention of many of the girls on the vehicle, who couldn't help but glance over towards the two of them and smile.

"Are you sure you're gonna be alright fer the week, Sunset?" Applejack asked, tapping Sunset's shoulders. "I mean, Twilight's just a baby. The supplies that Mr and Mrs. Sparkle gave ya might not last that long."

"Don't worry about it, Applejack." Pinkie Pie jumped over and opened up one of her own bags, causing lots of other baby supplies to poke out of the top. "I came fully prepared. Nothing's too good for this little cutie. Isn't that right, Twilight?"

"I still don't get why they decided to let you take Twilight away for the week." Fluttershy walked over and knelt down before Sunset and Twilight. "Doesn't that seem a little irresponsible?"

"Mom and Dad fully trust me with Twilight, Fluttershy." Sunset nodded and tousled Twilight's hair. "Since they recently took me into the family as well, I also count as being her big sister now. And besides, they decided that it was better for me to get to learn more about Twilight's magic so that we can find a better way to control it. Plus, she never gets to go outside these days, so I think taking her along to Camp Everfree with us would do wonders on her."

"Yeah. And you're giving her parents a real load off for the week." Rainbow Dash turned her head back from her seat. "Now that Twilight's out of the way, I'm sure they've got plenty of time to do what they like." She saw everyone shoot her miniature glares. "What? It's true, though!"

"Apart from that, I'm sure that we're all gonna have a good time. That is, if you don't mind getting dirt under your nails and leaves stuck in your hair." A pink-skinned girl in a yellow jacket and trousers turned back from the front. "For me, camping's always been a nightmare. Even though I come from a rich family, I still find it hard to deal with nature."

"Don't worry about it, Di. You've got me with you this week." A girl with silver hair and skin scooted up to her side and wrapped her arm around her. "Besties forever, right?"

"Yeah. Thanks, Silvs," she said, turning towards her friend. "I just hope the camp's got some good Wi-Fi. I don't want my boyfriend to think I'm forgetting about him."

"What about you, Sunset?" The silver girl leaned over the back of the seats. "Do you have a very special someone in your life?"

"Not really, Silver." Sunset shook her head and turned to face Silver. "I mean, I used to have Flash Sentry back when I was a power-crazed ringleader, but now, I'm just fine as I am. Plus, I've gotta take care of little Twilight here when her parents aren't around, so I don't have much time to look for one in the first place."

"Well, if you ever have some spare time, just give me and Diamond Tiara a call and we'll do our best to hook you up with someone nice." Silver smiled and handed her a small card before turning back towards the front of the bus. "Heck, we'd do anything if it means we get to spend time with that little cutie you've got there."

"Yeah. Thanks, girls..." Sunset Shimmer simply returned her gaze to the windows and held Twilight up so that she could see as well. Trees, plants, and all kinds of wildlife passed by their eyes as the bus continued to drive down the path.


Eventually, the bus slid into a parking zone and stopped so that everyone could get a good view of the campsite. Everyone gathered their belongings and walked off of the bus in an orderly fashion, inhaling the scent of the camp through their nostrils as their feet touched the ground.

Verdant green trees ringed around a lake that glistened in the sunlight. A line of tents with different gems on the doors could be seen on the left side of the vehicle while a kitchen building was visible on the right. The grass was dew-ridden and freshly cut, with each blade just barely grazing against the girls' feet.

Rarity stepped off of the bus and inhaled the fresh air, stretching her arms out as she did so. "Ahh, lovely day for camping, isn't it?"

"Yeah. The air smells great." Sunset walked up to Rarity, caressing Twilight against her chest. "I bet Twilight's gonna have a lot of fun here at Camp Everfree, aren't you, Twilight?"

Twilight merely looked up at Sunset and giggled, wiggling her hands as she tried to grab her caretaker's chin. Her horn vanished as she tilted her head up and then reappeared as she brought her head back down.

"Ah know that we're potentially bringing another magical mishap by bringing that little'un with us, but I'm sure that it's nothing we can't handle, right?" Applejack booped Twilight's nose and heard her laughter continue.

"Yeah. We've handled all kinds of magical goings-on before, so I'm sure that taking care of an adorable baby Twilight in the middle of a camp should be a snap!" Pinkie clicked her fingers.

"Oh, I'm sure that it'll be easier than what we've done before. And a little bit more fun." Fluttershy walked up to the girls with her hands wrapped around the straps of her backpack. "Twilight's gonna love it here with us in the cool breeze and fresh air."

"Plus, there's plenty of nature walks we could take her on so that she could see just how lush this place is." Applejack looked out towards the trees. "Yep, there's all sorts of things we can do here at Camp Everfree."

"Yeah! We can roast marshmallows by campfires and tell spooky stories to each over!" Rainbow Dash flexed her fingers and hunched her shoulders. "Or, if that's a bit too much, we could always have a race around the campsite if you're up for it."

"I see what you mean." Sunset smiled as the other Rainbooms began to discuss what they could do together at Camp Everfree.

"I don't get it!"

Sunset's ears picked up on the voice and turned to see a boy and girl have a quarrel. Both of them were dressed in laid back clothing, with the boy wearing a simple shirt and trousers while the girl wore a floral dress around her whole body, with sandals crafted out of trees. She walked over to the quarrelling teenagers and kept her distance so that she wasn't intruding.

"honestly, Gloriosa, you don't need these things." The boy reached over and tried to take seven different crystals off of the girl's neck. "I don't care what you can do with those geodes, you can't get any more power from them."

"You lie, Timber!" Gloriosa spat back, covering all seven of the gems in the palms of her hand. "I can save this camp. I just need to find more of those things! Surely, if we crack the altar open there'll be more, right? Just give me more time, OK? I got this."

"No. You clearly haven't." Timber hung his head and let a small sigh slip. "Look, Glori, I know that you like this camp, but I feel like you're just going about this the wrong way. Maybe if we just tell people about what he's going to do, then people'll surely donate to our cause."

"Timber, you have your way of saving this camp and I have mine." Gloriosa turned her back to him and looked down at the gems around her neck. "If you want to get people to send their life savings then that's fine, but I just think of these things as a last resort for if we can't get the money we need..."

"Uh, hi." Sunset walked up to Timber and Gloriosa and waved to the both of them. "I'm sorry to intrude, but I heard you two arguing and I thought I might as well see what's up."

"Oh, hey." Timber's tension immediately left his face as he saw Sunset and Twilight stand before them. "I didn't see you there. Are you with the kids from Canterlot High?"

"Yeah. We just got here a few minutes ago, actually." Sunset nodded and motioned towards the students of CHS as they all chatted among themselves. "I don't suppose that there's a camp counsellor or member of staff that we can see, is there?"

"You're looking at one of 'em." He held out his hand for a handshake. "Hi. Name's Timber Spruce. Nice to meet ya."

"Wait, you?" Sunset's eyes opened slightly at Timber's gesture. "But you're just a teenager like me. How are you in charge here?"

"We're a bit understaffed at the moment. Plus, this place is kinda part of my family's lineage." He shook hands with Sunset. "It'd be a travesty if I left it alone, right?"

"I... guess?" Sunset eyed up Timber as she ended the handshake and looked into his eyes.

Twilight turned her gaze up to Timber as well and gave him a smile, cooing as she tried to reach out and touch him.

"Hey there, kid." Timber came down to Twilight and tousled her hair, taking extra care not to touch her horn in the process. "Who are you dressed up as? Can you speak?"

"Oh. That's not a dress-up, Mr. Spruce. This is all real." Sunset said, holding Twilight with both of her arms again. "I'm sure you wouldn't understand."

"Oh, I'm sure that I might have some grasp on the situation..." As he spoke, his eyes shifted back to Gloriosa. He gave her a small glare before he went back to Sunset and Twilight. "Sorry about that. You were saying?"

"Not to be rude, but I didn't come up to the two of you just so I could tell you about my baby girl." Sunset retracted Twilight from Timber and gave her back a tender rub. "I came to see why you and Gloriosa were arguing. What's going on?"

"Well, see here's the—"

"Timber. This is mine." Gloriosa slapped Timber's mouth shut with the back of her hand and pushed him away. "Before I get into what happened, I want to know how you got that weird baby there."

"As I said with Timber, you wouldn't understand a thing." Sunset Shimmer shook her head.

Before anyone could say anything else, Twilight's face recoiled at Gloriosa. She whimpered and shied away into Sunset's body. She let out a frightened coo and pushed her hands out, causing a sudden gust of wind to burst out of her horn and hands. The resulting blast sent Gloriosa careening into the lake, just beyond the edge of the dock.

As Gloriosa pulled her head from the water, Twilight was seen laughing. Her illuminated hands and horn were on full display as she made small walls made of water crash into the girl again and again, as if she was being sandwiched by them. This went on and on until Sunset pulled Twilight away and tickled her belly, causing the water to die down.

"What the heck was that?" Timber asked, coming up to Twilight and Sunset.

Sunset sighed and hung her head. "I was going to try and keep it secret for the week, but I guess there's no point in trying to hide it, is there? Basically, something happened at the Friendship Games that turned a rival school's girl into a baby with magical powers. Since no-one else chose to take care of her, her family picked her up and I'm now her caretaker-slash-big-sister."

"That's an awful lot to take in in just one sitting." Timber came up to Twilight and examined her horn. "But... now that you mention it, she doesn't really seem like an average baby playing dress-up..."

"I'm sorry that you had to get mixed up in this, Mr. Spruce." Sunset turned Twilight to face her and gave her a little pat on the belly. "I'll take full responsibility for what happened to Gloriosa."

"Nah. It's alright." Timber watched Gloriosa climb out of the water and shake herself down like a dog. "Y'know, since you came out with your magical mishaps, I think I should let you in on something. My sister's not entirely normal either."

"What? But she's just as much of a teen as you are." Sunset watched Gloriosa get tended to by some of the students. She watched them dry her off and take her to get some new clothes. "How could she possibly have magic?"

"Well, those gems around her neck? They're what's causing it." Timber pointed out the seven crystals draped around Gloriosa's collar as she walked off. "She has all seven now, and all that she can do is cause vines to grow around her like some kind of weird comic book character. Nothing like what your baby sister can do, but it's still something out of the ordinary."

"Is that what you two were arguing about earlier?" Sunset asked.

"Yeah. She wants to stop this camp from being bought out by the mogul Filthy Rich and thinks that those crystals are a last resort." Timber brushed the back of his head as he watched Gloriosa walk inside a boathouse. "When in reality, the best way to get rid of him is to keep on paying him the rent every month. She's just gotten a bit desperate because we're low on funding this month. That's all."

"You should definitely tell people that this place is trying to be bought out." Sunset tugged on the back of Timber's shirt. "Think about it. This place is a historical landmark. People will come running to save it, even if it means they have to chain themselves to trees to stop the loggers from cutting down the campsite."

"Are you sure about that?" Timber wasn't entirely sold on Sunset's idea.

"Trust me, they will." Sunset then saw Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon out in the crowd of students. "And look. That girl over there is called Diamond Tiara. She happens to be Mr. Rich's daughter. I'm sure that if she hears about what her dad's doing, she'll practically beg him to stop."

"Well, nothing too serious has happened yet, but if we do get desperate, I'll come and ask your friends for help." He began to walk off to follow Gloriosa, waving back to Sunset as he left her behind. "I've gotta go. Apart from me, she's the only other member of staff we've got here. Enjoy your time, though. At Camp Everfree, we want to give you an experience you won't forget."

"Bye." Sunset waved Timber off and saw that Twilight was waving him off as well. She gave Twilight another gentle cuddle as she walked off with her and regrouped with the rest of her peers. Something tells me that this trip to Camp Everfree's gonna be more interesting than I expected...