• Published 26th Jan 2017
  • 25,459 Views, 1,892 Comments

Secret of Flying - Hiver



Flying is a lot like life. Keep beating your wings and hope not to hit something at terminal velocity. Being an Alicorn don’t make it any easier.

  • ...
55
 1,892
 25,459

Chapter 9

Returning to the place between dreams, I felt for Luna and then flashed over to her position where she was standing before one of the mirrors. At least that's what they looked like to me, Luna saw them as doors. Everything in here was subjective.

“Well?” I asked as I stepped out with a flash right next to her.

Luna shook her head with a frown, “I do not know, My Page. I have not encountered something like this in the past.”

“Never?” I asked in surprise as I looked up at her. “Not Discord?”

“Never,” she confirmed. “If it is him, he has never done anything like this before. Have you entered it?”

I nodded. “There is nothing there. Just... it wasn't even blank or white or black or anything. Just... 404, dream not found. Even between dreams, ponies still exist here while asleep. When unconscious or awake or otherwise kept from dreaming they just didn't show up.”

For someone to dream... nothing. Literally nothing... something was really fucked up somewhere.

“Could something be... eating them?” I asked after a moment as I eyed the blank portal. “Some sort of super Night Terror?”

Luna hesitated and then shook her head. “I do not think so, My Page,” she finally answered. “If such a thing was possible, I should have run into it long before now. No, this is something new.”

I nodded and brought up my interface, doing a search for portals like the one before us, making the world shuffle around and bring them into a circle around us, “Close to a hundred. 87... same number as before. Doesn't seem to be spreading quickly at the very least.”

Luna sat down and looked down, her wings spreading as she frowned in thought before her horn lit up like a small star. Lines of light reached out and touched each of the blank portals for a long second before the lines flowed back into her horn and she lowered it. A beam hit the not-floor beneath us and a map of Equestria formed as Luna kept her eyes closed in concentration before the light faded away and she seemed to relax again.

“Wow. Need to learn that trick,” I said and moved to sit down next to her to look down on the map before us. A single spot in the map was shining, far to the south east but still in Equestria. “Seems they are all in the same spot. Maybe a small village that got attacked by something?”

Luna smiled and spared my ear a quick nuzzle. “Getting somepony's physical location from their dream presence is still beyond your abilities for now, My Page,” she said before turning to the map. “I believe you may be right. It all seems to be gathered very close together.”

I nodded, tapping my hoof against the floor in thought, “We need to investigate this. We need to find out what happened to these ponies, if they can be saved or if we have to keep it from spreading.”

Luna pressed her lips together, “I'll send Princess Twilight and the other Element bearers.”

“...Luna, they no longer carry the Elements. They are in the tree, remember?”

“Being an Element bearer has very little to do with some jewelry, My Page,” Luna said with a smile. “They will be fine.”

“Why not send a company of guards?”

Luna shook her head, “Because sometimes more subtlety is needed than what the guard is capable of. We do not yet know what is going on and having a hundred ponies with spears and other weapons charge in may just put more ponies in danger.”

Well, she was not wrong about that.

Hmm. Closest guard station according to this map would be... Las Pegasus. About an hour's hard flight.

Not too far away and the bearers did include two pegasi, one of which was Rainbow Dash. She might be able to make it there in half the time.

Say two hours from the shit hitting the fan until reinforcements arriving? Not good, but not as bad as it could be either.

Nodding, I got up, “I'll tell them and go with them.”

“What!? No, you are not! There is no need for you to...”

I sighed, “Luna, they are capable of handling themselves, they have proved this time and time again against dangerous threats. But none of them have any clue about dream magic, not even Twilight. There is no time to teach her either. You are needed in Canterlot, so it falls to me to go with them.”

“Page, I...” she started to say before her ears flicked to the sides and she sighed. “...I hate the idea of you getting in danger.”

Smiling at her I nuzzled her chin. “I feel the same about you. But I can handle myself, My Sky,” I said as I put my wing around her.

Smiling slightly, Luna rested her head against mine. “I know,” she answered softly before she sighed and nodded, pulling back to look down at me. “Be careful.”

“Always,” I said and winked. “Of course, I would appreciate it if you could put the garrison at Las Pegasus on high alert when we leave the dream realm. That should reduce response time if we need to send for some backup.”

Luna nodded. “I will,” she replied before she glanced at the map, looking back to me again, her eyes worried. “Go, My Page. Find what is hurting our ponies.”

I bowed for her, “At once, your Highness,” before I winked and woke up.

Blinking awake, I rolled off the couch and onto my hooves, seeing everyone watching me in various stages of drowsiness. Spike looked tired, but he got pokes from one of the mares from time to time to keep him awake.

“What did Princess Luna say?” Twilight asked with a worried frown as she got off her chair and approached. “What's happening?”

I shook my head, “I'll tell you later. For now, go to sleep. It should be safe, the effect seems to be limited to a small area in southeast Equestria. Tomorrow we gather the other Elements and go investigate.”

Twilight hesitated before she nodded, “...Okay.”

She likely would have protested more but she looked really tired.