• Published 26th Jan 2017
  • 25,467 Views, 1,892 Comments

Secret of Flying - Hiver



Flying is a lot like life. Keep beating your wings and hope not to hit something at terminal velocity. Being an Alicorn don’t make it any easier.

  • ...
55
 1,892
 25,467

Chapter 39

I took slow deep breaths, my eyes closed.

“How are you doing?” Sunset asked and I opened my eyes to look at her. “Nervous?”

I shook my head. “No. Terrified.”

She smiled and poked me with her hoof. “You’ll be fine.”

Twilight nodded in agreement, her wing settling across Sunset's back. “You will. My life didn’t change that much after I became an alicorn.”

Sunset nodded and then looked thoughtful, looking at Twilight. “…Admittedly, you aren’t a stallion.”

“True.”

I shook my head. “Not helping, Sunset,” I groaned and moved to look out the window.

“Sorry.”

“You should have waited until Princess Luna returned,” Skitter said from where she was sitting on one of the comfy chairs. “You would have felt better.”

Maybe this was a mistake.

Well, too late now. Twenty minutes until Celestia and I made the announcement. Fucking hell, I was…

I felt like I was about to fight Tirek again but without the determination. Just the fear and adrenaline without an outlet.

Skitter jumped off the chair and moved next to me. Next thing I knew she nipped at the side of my neck and every worry and fear I had just melted away like a candle next to a blowtorch of just pure need.

Gasping, I looked at her before I turned away, clenching my eyes tight as I clamped down on my mind with chains of will, forcing the sudden images away from my mind.

Taking a deep breath, I turned to glare at her. “What the fuck, Skitter?”

She cringed. “…Sorry. But you were so nervous. How do you feel?”

I blinked at her twice.

I felt good.

“Damn it, Skitter,” I grumbled, rubbing my neck. Whatever it was that she did should be bottled. You could make a lot of bits from that, though I’m not sure it should ever be used against a non-alicorn. It wasn’t a poison or drug or anything, it was something about that rather intimate nibble combined with their magic.

Luckily, it was limited to changeling royalty. Besides, I’m pretty sure it was possibly to get addicted to that.

“…Sorry, sir.”

“What was that?” Twilight asked curiously from next to Sunset before moving over to us. “Some kind of changeling magic?”

“You could say that,” I answered before I mentally smirked. “Ask her to show you if you like to know.” I stretched my wings and took another deep breath. Holy shit, that woke you up.

Okay, let’s fucking do this.

Turning around, I trotted out of the room as Twilight looked at Skitter curiously. I headed out into the main hall, closing the door behind me.

So, this was it, wasn’t it? The next turn of my life?

After today, everyone would know I’m an alicorn now. Even with Skitter's distraction, I was nervous. I didn’t like the attention. Honestly, I never did.

I just wanted to be left alone and write my books. Maybe something original after I finish Terminator. Maybe… explorer in a flying ship. Not Star Trek, an actual flying ship, maybe with pirates?

Shaking my head, I turned the corner and pushed that thought away for later. I was just trying to ignore reality now and right now, I can’t afford it.

I had to do this right. For Luna.

And to be honest, for myself. I had to get over this, I had to… I had to figure this out and this was the way forward. The only realistic one.

The only one that let me stay with Luna long term.

Heading for the balcony I stopped next to where Celestia was waiting, looking as calm as ever. As I got close, she smiled. “How do you feel, Page?”

“Bit nervous. Better now though,” I said and smiled slightly. “Let’s get this over with so I can go hide?”

Celestia nodded. “Not quite time yet. A few more minutes.”

Nodding, I sat down. “Yeah.”

“Page, we can still call this off,” Celestia offered. “I can make another announcement.”

I shook my head. “…No. It won’t be possible to hide it much longer. This is better. In the long run, I mean.”

“Maybe. Only you can decide that.”

“…Let’s do it.”

Celestia nodded and gave me a nuzzle at my ear. “Let’s. Come.”

“Wait,” I said and paused, “What do I do?”

She smiled. “Nothing, I’ll handle it. You just stand there, looking pretty.”

I shot her a small glare and she winked before leading me out towards the balcony above the main square. You would think I would be terrified and I was earlier, I really needed to thank Skitter for…

The square was packed with ponies. Thousands. Tens of thousands. All looking this way.

Oh. There was my panic.

Clenching my jaw, I forced myself to continue out next to the larger alicorn into full view.

Do.

Not.

Embarrass.

Luna.

Or.

Celestia.

Panic on your own time. Now, look relaxed and smile.