• Published 26th Jan 2017
  • 25,220 Views, 1,892 Comments

Secret of Flying - Hiver



Flying is a lot like life. Keep beating your wings and hope not to hit something at terminal velocity. Being an Alicorn don’t make it any easier.

  • ...
55
 1,892
 25,220

Chapter 38

“Well? How did it go?” Luna asked with a smile as she walked along the crowded street next to me, the dream shifting slightly around us as griffons moved all around us.

“I hate ponies.”

That got a giggle from her. “No, you don’t.”

I sighed and shook my head in agreement. “No I don’t. But I do wish they would…ugh.”

“Be nice, My Page,” Luna said and poked my side with her wing. “Ponies rely on us for support, protection and rule.”

“…Not sure that’s fair,” I commented and looked at one of the stalls selling apples before floating one over to me to taste. Not as good as Apple Family crop, but not bad. “To them or you. Us.”

“How do you mean?”

“Why not allow them to make their own choices? Why rely on alicorns?”

“Because we know how things were before. We have experience, knowledge,” Luna explained and then looked thoughtful. “…Because they would no longer allow us not to.”

That was true, wasn’t it?

Even if all the alicorns walked away from the throne, would the ponies accept it? I didn’t know. Honestly, I didn’t think they would.

I didn’t want it in the first place and I refused to pick up the crown, but I knew they would still treat me like royalty. More than they did now anyway.

That’s why I wanted to hide it in the first place.

Finally, I sighed and changed the subject, looking around. “Now, how did you get us to a griffon dream?”

Luna smiled and looked around before leading me over to a small eatery. “All beings dream, but all species dream on different levels of the dream world. Griffons share their own dream realm, while ponies share theirs. Same with dragons, minotaurs, cows. All beings. To travel in one dream realm is not that difficult, but to travel between different ones means needing to bridge the gap.”

I applied a bit of will, getting a cup of hot tea to appear before us each when we sat down and I nodded in thought. “Ah. I see. Each dream realm is like a Vlan and to be able to move between them I need to set up routing.”

“I have no idea of what you speak of, but if you mean that you need to work your dream magic to move between then, then yes,” Luna agreed with a nod.

“How do you do that?”

“I’ll show you in a bit,” she said and looked around. “What do you see?”

Sipping my imaginary tea, I looked around. “A dream, clearly. Not one of the exciting ones, someone dreaming about moving through their day.”

“Whose dream is it?”

I looked over to the left. “That one. The female griffon with the stand selling carpets.”

Smiling, Luna nodded and shifted to lean against my side, scale shifting so we were the same size and she could fit beneath my wing as she cuddled close. “Her name?”

Her name? How would I find out her name from just a dream? They weren’t labelled.

Create a dream image to ask her?

A nuzzle at my ear kept distracting me as I tried to think. “Feel it, My Page. This is her dream, her realm. It’s everything she is.”

Leaning against Luna in time, I closed my eyes and focused on the currents beneath the surface, feeling and sifting through it. Mostly feelings, stray ideas.

Kara.

I opened my eyes again. “Her name is Kara. Kara Stonecutter.”

“Very good.”

Luna smiled and pulled away. “Can you tell how the dream will run?”

“… I think it will end soon.”

She nodded. “It will another few minutes in real time.”

“Should we leave?” I asked with a frown.

Luna nodded again. “In a minute,” she replied and nuzzled at my ear. “First, I have good news.”

“Oh?”

“The king has been selected and will be crowned tomorrow. I’ll be back home in a week,” Luna said with a smile, cuddling close.

Yes!!

Grinning happily, I pulled her into a deep kiss. Yes!!

“A week?” I asked with a grin as I let her go.

Luna nodded. “A week. Perhaps eight days depending on the winds.”

“I miss you,” I whispered and leaned against her, pulling her tight with my wing. “I really, really hate not having you next to me when I wake up. Actually, forget that. I hate spending the evenings without you. Just… Luna, even being in the same room as you as you work is better than anything else can compare with.”

Shifting close, Luna slid her horn against mine until her forehead rested against mine. “My Page.”

“My Sky,” I answered softly, looking into her eyes. “My nights are darker without you.”

“And your days?”

“Well, aren’t your sister keeping those lit… eep! No! No tickles!” I squeaked and wiggled as she pounced.

Quite a bit later, several wrecked tables and a collapsed dream later, I relaxed in the space between dreams, Luna resting against me, her head on my chest, her mane floating towards the side. “My Page?”

“Mmm?” I asked and pulled her tighter.

“I love you.”

“Love you too,” I murmured and nuzzled at her ear before I smiled as I started to get an idea.