• Published 26th Jan 2017
  • 25,466 Views, 1,892 Comments

Secret of Flying - Hiver



Flying is a lot like life. Keep beating your wings and hope not to hit something at terminal velocity. Being an Alicorn don’t make it any easier.

  • ...
55
 1,892
 25,466

Chapter 34

Things moved and I forced my eyes open to look up at a smiling Sunset Shimmer. Closing my eyes again, I stretched my wings and relaxed again.

“Sunny, why are you in my bed?”

“Because I have to tell somebody about this and as best friend you were volunteered!” she said cheerfully as she poked my wing. “I asked Princess Twilight out! She said yes!”

“Good for you. Go away,” I grumbled and pulled my blankets tighter around myself. I stayed up way too late last night finishing the first edit of my story draft… then I found a book I couldn’t put down. Not sure when I fell asleep, but it couldn’t have been long ago.

Omph!

I forced my eyes open and I looked at her. “You are not going away, are you?” I asked her as she smiled down at me, her hooves on my back.

“Nope! Too excited!”

“…You really should ask Luna if you want to get into our bed.”

She grinned. “I’ll keep that in mind,” she said and did a bounce. “Now get up!”

“You spent waaay to much time on Earth. You are acting like a teenage girl,” I grumbled but struggled up to sit, rubbing my eyes. “What time is it anyway?”

“Around ten,” she said and lay down on Luna’s normal side, flicking her mane back. “Come on, let’s go out for breakfast, I’m buying.”

That actually sounded rather nice.

Yawning I stretched before folding my wings again as I blinked at her. “…Wait, how did you even get in here? The tower is guarded.”

“Princess Skitter let me inside, she is waiting outside.”

I nodded and glanced at the bed sheet she was laying on, “…Fine, let’s go.”

Then I gave the sheet a powerful tug with my magic, sending the yellow unicorn rolling off the bed with a surprised yelp.

“Hey!”

I just smirked and jumped off the bed. “Nopony to blame but yourself, Shimmer.”

Getting back up, she stuck her tongue out at me before trotting out of the room. I just shook my head and rubbed my eyes again before moving to wash up.

Once I felt relatively conscious, I followed her out into the outer room to find Sunset lounging on the couch, a book floating before her while Skitter was in her normal chair, even if it almost looked a bit small for her now when she was a Princess instead of a drone.

“Good morning, sir," Skitter said and fluttered her wings. “Sleep well?”

“Thank you, Skitter, yes I did. You?”

What little there was of it had been nice after all.

“Very well, Sir,” she said with a smile and stretched before jumping off the chair, before she hesitated and moved up next to me. “…Miss you.”

I couldn’t help but smile as I bumped my side against hers. We did spend almost every single day for years in each other’s company.

“Miss you too,” I admitted and flicked my ear. “Amber is nice, but I miss having you around. Busy?”

“Princess Celestia gives me a lot of lessons and work to do,” Skitter admitted. “And then I need to manage my changelings and my small hive. I refuse to ask Mother for advice.”

I nodded. “I’ll help if I can,” I said, giving her side a poke with my wing. Like Luna, she was too tall when standing up for me to put it over her back.

“I know, sir,” she said and sighed. “Just not sure there is anything you can do.”

Smiling at her, I leaned against her side, letting her feel my friendship with her and my love for Luna. “If you just want to spend some time together, we can. Doesn’t need to be a reason for it.”

“…I know, sir. Just so busy.”

I slowly nodded and then looked at her. “Too busy?”

“…Mostly, sir. Princess Celestia…”

“Have you tried to tell her to piss off, you want a day for yourself?” I asked with a grin.

Skitter froze, staring down at me. “Sir?”

I sighed and shifted to sit down, facing her. “Skitter, you are the future leader of the changelings now. Don’t just do what others tell you to. If you need some time for yourself, take it. You decide how you use your time, it’s part of being the leader, isn’t it?”

She frowned down at me in thought before she finally spoke up. “…You think so, sir?”

“I wouldn’t be surprised if Celestia is waiting for you to realize it,” I said before I smiled at her. “Of course, if I’m wrong, you could always blame me.”

That got a smile from the changeling. “Wouldn’t do that, sir.”

“And you can stop calling me that, okay?” I asked with a smile. “I think you outrank me.”

“If you say so, sir,” Skitter said with a innocent smile.

Sighing at her, I shook my head and then looked over at Sunset. “Want to join us? We are heading out for breakfast.”

Skitter hesitated but Sunset smiled. “I don’t mind. Will be fun.”

Finally Skitter nodded and a line of green fire crawled across her, leaving her looking like a white unicorn with changeling horn, a pink heart marking her flanks. “Thank you.”

“Did you change that form?” I asked as I looked her over.

Skitter nodded. “Different mark and changed horn instead of wings. Stands out less… and fits me more I think.”

“Looking good.”

“Thank you, sir.”