• Published 26th Jan 2017
  • 25,220 Views, 1,892 Comments

Secret of Flying - Hiver



Flying is a lot like life. Keep beating your wings and hope not to hit something at terminal velocity. Being an Alicorn don’t make it any easier.

  • ...
55
 1,892
 25,220

Chapter 14

I groaned and slowly stirred awake. To my surprise, I found that I hurt less than I expected.

“Page? Are you okay?”

I forced my eyes open and found myself looking up at the worried face of Sunset Shimmer. “…You get her?” I asked and then groaned as I shifted my front legs and raised my head.

Sunset nodded, “As soon as I had her, the villagers just kind of panicked and gave up. Especially when I noticed that her cutie mark was still there, just painted over. It got smudged in the fight.”

Oh.

“Everyone okay?” I asked and flicked my ears, looking around. We were in a small room and I was lying on a bed. The place looked simple and lightly furnished with old furniture, but it was clean and the bed was relatively comfortable.

Sunset nodded and sat down on the floor. “Only you and Princess Twilight were hit. I smashed the ‘Cutie Vault’. It released all the Cutie Marks and they all returned to their owners. Starlight Glimmer is tied up in the basement. I put a binding spell on her horn. Applejack and Rainbow Dash is guarding her as we wait for you and Princess Twilight to wake back up.”

Nodding, I stretched my wings before I blinked and looked back at them. The illusion should still have been in effect.

“…There is also that,” Sunset grimaced and flicked her right ear. “Your spell broke when she ripped your Cutie Mark off you.”

In plain view of the Elements and half the village.

My ears folded to the side and I sighed, “Well, fuck.”

“Sorry Page. I know you wanted to keep it a secret,” Sunset said and frowned. “I know I tease you and all, but…”

Sighing again, I shrugged and moved up to sit, glancing back to check my Mark was actually there. It was right where I saw it last.

As strange as it felt at first, it was part of me now after these years here. I may still think the term ‘Cutie Mark’ was the least manly thing in existence, but it was mine, damn it.

“It’s fine, Sunset,” I finally said. “I knew it wouldn’t last forever. I had hoped it would last more than a couple of months, but you take what you get. Besides, ponies in an out of the way village might not spread the news very fast. Or be believed. I’m sure the girls can be convinced to keep it quiet.”

Sunset nodded, “On the bright side, you would be able to stretch your wings anytime you want.”

I raised my eyebrow at her and jumped off the bed, refolding my wings, “You just like looking at them.”

“No comment,” she answered with a grin before she frowned. “You sure you feel okay?”

I frowned and stretched before I nodded and recast the illusion around myself. “A bit sore, but that’s from the fight I think. I think I feel normal.”

Sunset nodded, “Come on, we’ll go check on Princess Twilight.”

Nodding, I moved along, cracking my neck. Well, that was disappointing after winning a fight with a god. I got smacked down by a mare I had never even heard of before.

To be fair, she had minions I really didn’t want to hurt, but still.

“Sunset?”

“Yeah?”

“Next time, you play the decoy.”

That got a snort from her before she blinked, “Okay, deal. Wait, next time?”

“Always a next time,” I commented and opened the door to reveal Twilight sitting up, rubbing her head as Rarity and Fluttershy fussed over her.

“Princess, are you okay?” I asked as I walked inside, giving the door a knock on the way past.

Twilight nodded, “I think so, thanks Page. And you? I heard she hit you too.”

“I’m fine. Slight headache and normal ‘getting into a fight’ aches,” I answered with a sigh. “that could have gone better.”

“Prince Page,” Rarity said and bowed down. “It’s good to hear you feel well.”

Oh for…

“Rarity, please…” I groaned. “None of that. I don’t want it, I keep it hidden for a reason.”

“But… but… why?” she asked, looking like I just spoke Greek to her. “Dear, you are an Alicorn!”

“That doesn’t mean I want to be a Prince, Rarity,” I said with a frown. “I don’t want the responsibility and quite frankly, I don’t like everything else that comes with it. I realize that it will come out sooner or later and it will make things difficult, but until then I want to live my life.”

Rarity looked like it was a complete Outside Context Problem for her but she finally nodded. “…Very well. If you really wish, I won’t say a word. I promise.”

Fluttershy managed a small nod, hiding beneath her hair.

Twilight just sighed and jumped off the bed. “I just kind of wish I thought of it first. Rarity said you managed to capture Starlight Glimmer?” she said, looking at Sunset shimmer.

Sunset nodded, “Rainbow Dash and Applejack are guarding her, Princess.”

Stretching her wings before folding them again, Twilight moved past us. “We should go talk to her and figure all of this out.”

“Yeah. The Guard should be on their way,” I told her. “I sent Amber to get them and then deliver a message about what was going on here to Canterlot.”

Meaning they should get here at any moment really.