• Published 26th Jan 2017
  • 25,414 Views, 1,892 Comments

Secret of Flying - Hiver



Flying is a lot like life. Keep beating your wings and hope not to hit something at terminal velocity. Being an Alicorn don’t make it any easier.

  • ...
55
 1,892
 25,414

Chapter 12

I followed the rest into the large house at the end of the road. Well, large compared to the rest in the little village.

From what I could see though, it seemed a rather simple house. Stone walls, wooden floor. A painting of an equal sign on the wall above a fireplace.

This was just fucking creepy.

Too normal. Too... plain. Very little of the normal knickknacks lying around. The entire thing looked artificial, not lived in.

The door at the other end of the room next to the stairs opened slowly.

“Get ready. Let's see what horrible monster we are facing,” Rainbow Dash said quietly and looked at the rest of us.

“Hello!” a light purple unicorn said with a bright smile as she walked out.

Double Diamond stepped up. “Starlight Glimmer! We have guests.”

“So I see. Welcome to our little town!” she said happily. “I'm Starlight Glimmer, who may you be?”

“These are...” Double Diamond started and then introduced us one by one before finishing with Twilight. “And this is Twilight Sparkle!”

Starlight Glimmer looked at us before she smiled, “Forgive my bluntness, but I'm assuming it's Princess Twilight Sparkle? We don't get many alicorns around here.”

...Yeah, no kidding. I doubt anywhere but Canterlot and possibly Ponyville could say they did.

“Twilight is fine,” said alicorn answered with a smile.

“So, how did you hear of our little village?”

“It's kind of a long story,” Twilight said with a small grin.

Starlight nodded and motioned with her hoof, “Well, however you found us, we are happy to have you...”

If you say 'for dinner', I’ll start casting.

“...We're happy to have any pony that wishes to experience true friendship for the first time.”

Applejack raised an eyebrow at her, “Say what?”

Took the words right out of my mouth there, apple girl. I glanced at Sunset who was frowning at Starlight before looking around the room again as I slowly moved towards the right.

This was too strange and much too creepy for me. That sounded like something a body snatcher would say.

“Oh indeed. That's what's so unique about our village you see, around here we don't flaunt our special talents. Because we don't have any special talents to flaunt.”

Sunset put her hoof up, “Uhm... yeah. No. A cutie mark is an essential part of what makes a pony a pony. It's when we find out what we are good at, what we love doing. What you are saying is impossible.”

“Is it?” Starlight said with a smile and turned so we could see her side and her equal sign. “Perhaps it would be easier to understand if we gave you a tour of the village?”

I didn't like this. I didn't like this at all. Even so, I followed along when Twilight accepted. There must be some kind of clue about what's happening here.


XXXXXXXX


I couldn't help but frown slightly as the tour finished. Everyone seemed to enjoy their place here, even if things were...

...Off. Way too much koolaid going around if you get what I mean.

As we were directed towards what seemed to be the town’s only little restaurant, Sunset nudged my side. “Page?” she said and motioned to the side with her head.

Nodding, I walked to the side and behind the building. “So what do you think?” I asked her quietly as I turned to her once we were out of sight.

“I don't know,” Sunset said and shook her head, rubbing behind her right ear with her hoof. “It's creepy.”

I snorted, “Anything more specific? What do you think, body snatchers? Or just fucking creepy cult?”

The mare shivered, “Don't know, but I sure hope it's not the first one.”

“Like the second one is much better.” I snorted and shook my head, “Whatever it is, it's fucking with these ponies' dreams. My guess? Having their cutie marks removed breaks them somehow. If it removes their special talents, that sure as hell could likely do it.”

Sunset nodded, “Yeah. So, what do we do about it?”

I hesitated at that and sat down, poking at the dust with my hoof in thought. What did we do about it? If this Starlight Glimmer was responsible, we still had no idea how. Was it some sort of dream magic? Did she rip the fucking hide from their flanks and then regrow it?

Was she even a pony?

If it was her that was doing it, to reverse or stop her we needed to know why and more importantly, how. If it was in the dream realm tonight, I suspect she would come to the wrong Luna-damned neighbourhood if she tried to go up against me there while I kept guard over my friends' dreams. I may not have Luna's skill yet, but in the dream realm I was the strongest of the alicorns.

Unless Starlight Glimmer was the dream version of Discord, I would crush her like a grape and even then it would be a close fight only because I wasn't that experienced yet.

But we needed to find out. If nothing else, when everyone was asleep I could check all dreams in the general area to see if they were all blank, even checking out her dreams if they were the same.

“Nothing yet,” I finally said and got up again. “We'll wait until tonight and we'll see what I can find. Before we can stop it, we need to know what's happening, which means that we need more information.”

Sunset nodded, “Let's rejoin the rest, let Princess Twilight know what we came up with.”

“Yeah.”

Not that we had the chance, when we returned, Twilight was talking with Starlight Glimmer.