• Published 24th Jan 2017
  • 2,602 Views, 165 Comments

One Big Awkward Family - PropMaster



A God of Chaos finds joy in order, and doesn't know what to make of it.

  • ...
2
 165
 2,602

Fazed

Fluttershy woke up.

She didn't remember falling asleep. Or going up to her bedroom. She wished she didn't remember the crying, the anger, the feeling of emptiness that sat in her chest. She'd just meant to tell Discord how much he meant to her. How much she cared for him. How thankful she was for him and all the little kindnesses that he gave her in her day-to-day life. He was so special to her, so important.

Instead of saying all of that, though, she'd said it in the most complicated way she could, without any thought. She'd been lost in that moment, on the side of the cold slopes, lying atop his warm form, feeling loved and cherished. She'd been so... assertive, wrestling a god atop a mountain. She was Fluttershy, and she'd been brash like Rainbow Dash. She'd been flirty like Rarity. She'd laughed like Pinkie Pie. She'd felt a spark, something great and magical, like Twilight. She'd felt more like herself than she ever had; the best of herself. So she'd been honest like Applejack.

Applejack was so strong, and so simply spoken and clear in her wants. She'd have found a better way to say what Fluttershy had wanted to say. What she'd meant to say. Something that wouldn't have caused Discord to panic.

She rolled onto her back, staring up at her ceiling, her wings splayed open and limbs askew like she'd been thrown from a high place to land there atop her sheets. Sunlight streamed through her windows, hitting the far wall. She scowled, slowly. Discord had overreacted. That much was evident. He'd said something about... children? Not being able to have foals? She let out a slow sigh. That was certainly not the thing she'd wanted to talk with him about. He'd heard her, but he'd taken her words to mean so much more than the simple statement she'd hoped it would be interpreted as. A declaration of devotion, of appreciation. She didn't mean for it to bring up so much... fear and self-loathing. Discord had deep wounds, she never doubted it, but there was more damaged about him than she'd ever guessed. It made her eyes well up with tears, even as she felt frustrated with him.

He didn't deserve that frustration, though, and she knew it. He deserved a chance to work through his own emotions. She felt a happy flutter in her chest as she considered what he'd said. He'd said that he loved her, too. Not in so many words, but his regret at having to push her away, his pain at having to question his feelings, that was evident. He loved her, but he wasn't sure if he should.

She reached up and wiped at her eyes with her hooves, clearing the wetness from her cheeks, and sat up in bed, sniffling quietly. Love was patient, and love was kind, and Fluttershy knew that she had both of those things in abundance to give to Discord. So she would give those simple gifts to him. She wouldn't resent his panic, even though she'd indulged her anger earlier. She would give him his space, like he asked.

She'd gone her whole life waiting to be loved in the deep, mad, passionate way that she felt Discord loved her.

She could wait a little longer.

Author's Note:

I will be double posting next week to make up for the missed day Saturday. Thank you for reading and following along, and to everyone commenting so far. I really appreciate your thoughtful commentary and reactions!