• Published 12th May 2017
  • 3,948 Views, 41 Comments

One Plus Six Equals Family - Gravestone



What would you do if you had to choose? As for me I found a loophole so I cheated.

  • ...
16
 41
 3,948

Chapter 2 First Day as a Dad

Looking down at my daughters' man, it's still weird saying that but I have to get used to it. The first thing is to find out which one of my angels left a smelly surprise for me. Thinking about it, I decided to just take all of them into the bathroom to get cleaned up before I gave them their breakfast.

"Hold on girls daddy will be right back," I said as I returned to my room to change into a pair of swim trunks and grab the basket.

Getting back to my girls I picked each one up and placed her in the basket as I was doing this I found the little stinker turns out whatever Rarity ate before she got here, she will never get to eat it again. Taking them to the master bathroom, I turned on the water, getting it right before I brought the girls to the shower to get them cleaned. And with the size of the shower, we had plenty of room.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/6c/3c/bf/6c3cbf83d19c197236c80e50f20a37be.jpg
Stripping them out of the used diapers and cleaning Rarity up first before I took care of the others paying extra care to Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy's wings and Twilight and Rarity's horns. Using the head and body gel I cleaned each girl telling them to keep their eyes closed, so they didn't get soap in them. I'm thankful, they did what I told them. After our shower, I dried each girl off with her own towel and when I say it's her towel, I mean each of the towels had one of their cutie marks on it.https://img0.etsystatic.com/135/1/7389458/il_340x270.958293668_jkwn.jpg
I told you, in the beginning, I AM A BRONY.
But back to the story.
As I dried them off, I noticed something that was shocking, I almost fainted, okay, maybe not fainted, but it surprised the hell out of me not a single one of them had her cutie mark all six of them were blank flanks. Seeing this I panicked. What was I going to do, how were they going to get their marks now? That's when it hit me well not hit but hugged. As I was panicking both Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash flew up and hugged my head while the others gathered around my feet. My stress level dropped but then it completely disappeared when I heard the sweetest things.

Don't worry daddy eberting goin be otay.
Yeah, daddy need be happy, not sad.
We wub you, daddy.

Hearing all of this brought tears to my eyes, but I was happy these six little fillies I just met last night have chosen and accepted me as the father. At that moment I swore to God, Celestia, and any other Deities listening that I would be the best damn father ever.

My joyous and enlightened moment was short-lived as I heard a voice call my name from downstairs. A voice I recognized, came from my housekeeper slash caregiver Ruth. Now, Ruth is...

I'm just going to stop there for a second you see I sorry if I offend any of you PC people out there, actually no I'm not I think all this PC is BS. And as for Ruth, the real woman used in this story is a friend of mine we've been friends since middle school. If you ask her what her nationality is. She will tell you she's not African American because she wasn't born in Africa and became an American citizen. What she is, is an American of African descent, but she'll tell you she just a black woman. So if you have a problem with this, stop reading now because I will use that description in this story. And for this story with her permission, Ruth will age up to Sixty-five-year-old.

Now Ruth I believe must have been a drill sergeant in a previous life because that woman has some pipes on her.

"Devin Yoder, get your white butt up and out of that bed, it's too nice a day to just sleep it away," Ruth yelled as she made her way to my room.

"Ah, that woman loves me like no other. Wait she coming up to my room this is bad and where are all the girls okay, calm down, let's see one, two, thre, oh no, where are three through six?" My question was answered by Ruth.

"Well, my stars aren't you the cutest little things I've seen, Devin get your butt out here and tell me why there are colorful ponies in your room that look like the ones my grandbaby watches on TV?" Ruth said in a tone that reminded me of my mother.

Deciding to bite the bullet I walk out of the bathroom holding Rarity and Applejack since they were the only two that stayed in the bathroom with me. "Ruth you beautiful woman I can explain everything, please let me explain."

"Okay, explain." She said crossing her arms and looking at me the way a mother would wait for her child to tell her the truth.

"Well, you saw it started last night, fifteen minutes later, and you came in and found the girls and that's that," I told her everything and I mean everything.

After that explanation all Ruth did was stand there and look at me with her arms still crossed.

" MMMHMMM, and you expect me to believe all that?" Ruth said.

Giving her a deadpan stare I looked at her and gestured to all six of the colorful ponies in the room. "If I'm lying then please explain to me why I have six pony daughters now Ms. MMMHMMM."

Shaking her head Ruth just stood there and laughed. " Sweetie two things first off you have never lied to me, and second don't talk to me that again," She said the last part with a stern look.

"Yes mama"

"Now how about we take these little Angels downstairs and get them something to eat and you can introduce them to me," Ruth said as six tiny tummies began to rumble with hunger.

After making our way downstairs to the kitchen Ruth began to make the girls and me some breakfast. While she did that I introduced the girls to her and the girls to Ruth. For the girls a mixer of regular and fruit salad and for me egg whites two strips of turkey bacon and juice. Hey, she's my caregiver and the doctors said I have to eat a lot more healthily. While we were eating Ruth used my laptop to go online and order some stuff for the girls. I have to say this about her for a Sixty-five-year-old grandma she is quite a computer savvy. When she was done with what she knew the girls would need and using my credit debit card to pay for everything she printed out a receipt and handed it to me.

"Now I want you to got into town to pick all this up it shouldn't take you more than an hour and a half," She said handing me the list/receipt.

Taking the paper from her I did a quick scan only to do a double-take. What the heck was she expecting me to take care of an entire village?
I mean come on do I really need to pick up, ok maybe those are important but what about no, no that stuff is definitely needed, oh but there's no way I'm going to, well when you think about it, it does make since.

Here are something you might find interesting or not.
The Department of Agriculture says the estimated cost of raising a child from birth through age 17 is $233,610, or as much as almost $14,000 annually. That's the average for a middle-income couple with two children.
Now you must realize that those figures don't actually describe my situation due to the fact that my daughters are ponies and not humans. Therefore the price of clothing is removed and also education due to the formation of them being ponies. FYI they will be homeschooled by me. But the health care because two being Unicorns and two Pegasus ponies, food, and other amenities will be covered. Plus I'm a single parent raising six children so figuring that into the equation I will spend ruffly $16,000 to $17,000 annually so to raise them to the age of 17 I will spend $300,000 to $350,000. I think, to be honest, I'm not that good at math.

Like I was saying the list, the list that Ruth gave me. Looking it over once more made me glad I still kept my full-size pick-up. Because what Ruth wanted me to pick up was a lot of shi... I mean stuff. Begrudgingly I grabbed my phone, wallet, and keys but before I went to the garage I walked around the table giving each of my girls a kiss on the cheek all of them loved it but Rainbow, who did a cute little scrunchy face. As I opened the door I looked back at the girls.

"Now I'm going to be gone for a little while, Ruth is going to take care of you till I get back. Be good girls and daddy loves you." I said as I turned to leave only to get a collective I wuv you, daddy before I closed the door.
Stepping into the garage I hit the button to open the automatic door before I start up the truck. Getting in and backing out of the garage I finally make the drive down the long road that is my driveway. I'm not exaggerating about it, my house sits in the middle of 400 acres of woods and grass fields I even have a good size pond. But like I said I made my way down the road listening to the radio. While I was driving I kept thinking about the girls, more importantly, their lack of cutie marks.

Okay, I can do this. All I have to do is follow the episode The Cutie Mark Chronicles well sort of. Got to teach Rainbow Dash how to fly so she can do a sonic rainboom. I can't let Applejack leave but she has to learn that apple farming and being home with her family is her life. The others shouldn't be that hard for Rarity the geodes that are found around here, Fluttershy the animals on the property, Pinkie she's a little tuff to figure out. And most importantly where the heck am I going to get a dragon egg for Twilight to hatch? My thoughts were cut short as I found myself at the end of the driveway. Looking to see if it was clear I turned and headed down the road to town. I figured I shouldn't worry about all of that right now after all the girls are still young and that stuff can wait till they're older. Looking around as I drove I saw that all property by my place was still for sale.

"Uh, nobodies purchased it yet, maybe I should apply for a loan or a grant and buy it myself it's another good 1000 acres. Wouldn't hurt the more land the less likely someone would see the girls," I said to myself as I continued my way to town. It took me another twenty minutes to get to town luckily my destination was just ahead pulling into the parking lot I found a spot and parked my truck I got out and looked around.

"Wal-Mart your one-stop for all your shopping needs," I said as I stood outside looking at all the people going in and out of the store. It's not like I hate the store far from it I get a lot of things from here. It's just I usually buy online and I have it delivered. The reason I'm hesitant is because of one employee. Don't get me wrong She’s not a bad person just overly friendly and curious. And she always directs it at me be it here or somewhere else in town. For example, I would be in a checkout line and she would take over as the cashier so she could talk to me or if I was looking for something she would show up to help me. And just my luck she's working customer service.

"Hi, handsome I haven't seen you around much how have you been sexy," She said in a quiet lusty tone as she leaned over the counter trying to extenuate her large bosom. To which the blue store vest and shirt she was wearing were losing the battle to contain them.

"Hello Dianna, I'm fine and I've been busy can you please just see if my order is ready I'd like it loaded in my truck so I can go home," I said knowing it was rude but I really don't have time to deal with this.

Handing her the printed receipt I waited for her to do a checklist.

"Okay, let's see you have six highchai...." Dianna's voice cuts out after she started to read the list. And I could have sworn I saw tears forming in the corners of her eyes.

"When did you have kids I thought Lucy left you when she found out about, you know your heart condition and all?" She said still visibly upset but still trying to be discrete.

"Well, they're not biologically mine, I just recently became their legal guardian and chose to adopt them," I said trying to keep her from becoming upset.

"So what are they, boys are girls?" She asked becoming a little happier.

"Oh, they're six of the cutest little fil.. girls you ever did see," I said catching myself before I gave away my secret.

"I wish you brought them along I would've loved to see them," She said pouting.

"Sorry but they're still too young I might introduce you to them when they're older," I told her stressing the word might.

"You promise, cross your heart hope to fly stick a cupcake in your eye," She said as well doing the movements to a Pinkie Promise.

I looked at her a little confused until she lifted the left side of her vest to reveal a pin that read Pegasister and Proud of IT. Seeing that I thought maybe she wasn't all that bad, hell Lucy said MLP was so dumb even brain-dead chimps would think it was boring. Thinking back I'm glad we're through even Ruth didn't like her and she likes or gets along with everybody.

"Devin, you still with me?" She asked bringing me out of my thoughts I looked at her with a little confusion." I said everything is here did you want it loaded now are do you have more shopping to do?"

"Oh ah yeah load it now but I still have some things to pick up," I said shaking myself out of the stupor I was in.

"Really do you need any help find all of it?" She asked bouncing with hope, that I would say yes.

Thinking once more Dianna isn't that bad she's nice, attractive and she likes MLP. It's worth a shot but I'll hold off telling her about the girls for now.

Sure I could use some help I haven't been here for a while and it looks like things have changed since then," I said making her smile as she walked around the counter to join me.

So for the next half hour, we spent it talking and get to know each other better, while I got each of the girls something special.
For Applejack I got a Stetson hat.
Rainbow Dash a pair of aviator goggles.
Fluttershy a white stuffed bunny.
Rarity some fake jewelry and two play dresses.
For Pinkie Pie an Easy-Bake Oven.
Finally for Twilight The Journal of the Two Sisters and a hat and cape, like Star Swirl the Bearded.
I also picked up the newest MLP plushie for Tai, Ruth's granddaughter.

Seeing all of this Dianna made the joke about me loving MLP way too much or that I'm actually raising the Mane Six.

"Hehehehe, yeah guilty as charged about liking MLP too much, not the other thing that would be ridiculous," I said unable to look her in the eyes. Well, Sence everything is loaded I guess I'll be heading home," With that said I quickly started heading for the doors only for Dianna to call to me.

"Hey how about we go out for dinner sometime?" She asked as I climbed into my truck.

"Sure, I call you how about that?" I said back not really paying attention to what was said.

As I drove home I suddenly realized what I did or thought I did. Reaching the house I was sure I did do what I think I did. Parking in the garage I then walked inside only to be Glomped by my girls with a united cry of We missed you, daddy!

"Sorry I'm late but I wanted to pick you girls up something special and I was talking with someone I know," I said as I placed each girl down on the floor.

"Oh really and who would that be as if I didn't already know," Ruth said standing there with a smug grin.

"Fine it was Dianna, ok I found out we have a lot in common and she's actually fun to be around," I said as I began to unload all the stuff out of my truck.

" Bout time, I still don't see what was so good about that Lucy I mean she hated everything you loved and she wasn't afraid to tell you that," Ruth said as she began to assemble the high chairs while I still unloaded the truck. "So what did you two talk about?"

"Oh this and that basic stuff really, though I did find out she likes MLP and I might have agreed to go out on a date," I said trying to keep the last part quiet but Rarity had to speak up.

"Oh, how womantic daddy on a date wif his pecial somepony," Rarity said batting her eyes dreamingly while clapping her front hooves together.

I turned red because of that which made all the girls laugh at me including Ruth.

"Then I think you better call that girl and set up a date lord knows you both need each other more than you realize," Ruth said keeping that last part to herself mostly.

"What was that I didn't quite hear you," I called from the garage as I was bringing in the last of it including the gifts for the girls. Okay let's see if we forgot anything time to do a checklist," I said as I sat down to only have Twilight climb in my lap to look over and help with the list.

Six highchairs check
Six sets of baby dishes check
One pallet of assorted diaper sizes check
One pallet load of assorted fruits and vegetables for dehydrating and canning Check
Six cribs and baby beds for future use check
Three first-year potties check
Essential supplies for homeschooling check
After reading off the list I remembered why I freak out the first time I saw it but I kept telling myself this is for my girls.

When Ruth and I got everything set up and her still pestering me about Dianna. I decided it was time for gifts. As I passed them out each of the girls gave me a big hug and kisses.
Although AJ and RD were a little confused about theirs until I told them that they will grow into them.
Fluttershy named her bunny Angel, who saw that coming anyone.
Rarity started to make her gifts as fashionable as possible.
Twilight loved her gifts and I promised to read her a chapter of the book every night.
As for Pinkie, Ruth was about to yell at me for getting a baby an Easy-Bake Oven until we looked down to see Pinkie had already made a six-tier cake with little figurines of all of us. Throwing her arms into the air and walking off in a huff I reminded her that logic and the pink one do not mix.

Since it took me so long I missed lunch but it was getting close to dinner time so we all gathered in the kitchen the girls in their new highchairs waiting passionately for their dinner. I, on the other hand, was starving so I voiced it loudly only to receive a slap, to the back of the head. Well, you can't really blame me I did miss lunch. But even for my actions, we were given a delicious meal of vegetarian lasagna and a nice green salad. After saying grace the eight of us dug into our meal.

"Now Devin I know I keep harping on you to ask the nice girl out but I'm only thinking of you and well now the girls," Ruth said after swallowing a mouthful of food." I'm not saying to tell her everything right away but we both know I'm not going to be around to take care of you forever and Lord knows that girl would do anything for you. And that Lucy how she just up and left you when she found out about your heart throwing that ring in your face and calling you weak, it just breaks my heart to see you not trust women after that," She said with tears forming in her eyes.
If you haven't figured it out by now Ruth is deathly honest and will tell you what you need to know even if it hurts you.

"I know and I'm trying but Lucy and I knew each other for four years before I proposed," I said thinking that was the worst excuse I ever made.
Shoot if you think about it. I've known Dianna for almost twenty years and if I would've asked her to marry me, we wouldn't be having this discussion and the girls would already have a mother as well as a father, and did I just say that? Focus man, focus, the girls come first then romance no stop it although she was really pretty today and that blouse did bring out the green in her eyes and the way she smelled was ... Oh for the love of why am I thinking of this?

"I would like to know that myself?" Ruth said looking at me with a raised eyebrow.

"Wait did I think all of that or say it out loud?" I asked a little concerned to only receive an answer of giggles from the girls and a few remarks like Daddy has a pecial somepony or Daddy's in wuv.

After that, the only thing I could think of was to move my plate aside and begin to bang my head on the table repeatedly. Only to stop after feeling a small hoof on my shoulder Turning to see Twilight smiling at me. "Don't worry daddy we still wuv you and someday we can hab a mommy too and we can wuv her," Twilight said as she nuzzled up to my cheek.

"Daddy, what is a mommy?" Pinkie asked tilting her head to the side.

"Um, ah how about I tell you that tomorrow because right now it's time for good little fillies to get ready for bed," I said changing the subject only to receive a collective Awwwww from the girls and then some yawns as well.

With Ruth's help, we got the girls ready for bed placing them in their own cribs I was just about to shut off the light when Twilight reminded me, about her book. so taking the book out and pick her up I set her on my lap while the others got comfortable and I began to read the first chapter of The Journal of the Two Sisters.
( It's honestly a good book and you should read it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvfjvlLERko
After I was finished I looked to see all of my girls were sound asleep placing the book down, I carefully place Twili into her crib making sure the others were alright before turning off the light. Only to have a night light of the sun and moon to lightly illuminate the room. Closing the door just enough I turned to walk down the hall. Stopping at my bedroom door to read the note left by Ruth only to smile about what she wrote I entered my own room and got ready for bed. Thinking if today is any indication of what it's going to be like raising six magical fillies. Then I got my work cut out for me I just pray that I'll be here for them through all of this.
Oh if you're wondering what Ruth wrote here it is.

Devin,
I know I say things and they come off rude or insensitive but that's how I am.
I just want you to know that I love you and those girls as if you were all my family.
Now that's out of the way get you boney but up and ask that girl out.
I know damn well you haven't been out with a girl in over two years in more ways than one.
Love Ruth

Author's Note:

If you curious about the girls they stand about one foot tall at the tops of their heads. The same height as a standard plushie but they're a lot softer and cuter.