• Published 24th Jan 2017
  • 6,206 Views, 58 Comments

Flutterientation - TheTalentlessPony



Discord and Fluttershy talk about the events of the Grand Galloping Gala. Discord also asks a weird question.

  • ...
2
 58
 6,206

The not-so-Grand Galloping Gala

Fluttershy yawned as she entered her home, Discord following behind her in a flash of magic. The air was unusually still, though was filled in by the sound of animals running around outside.

"What a night..." Fluttershy said with a sigh, moving to her chair and placing her mane accessory on it. "I'm exhausted."

Discord would typically make a snarky quip about it, but he wasn't feeling particularly cheerful. He'd gotten yelled at by Fluttershy once before, but it didn't feel like that. He never thought it'd feel like that. Maybe it was just his chaos magic stirring up his emotions as they tended to do, but he felt particularly vulnerable. Making so many apologies in one night wasn't something he took easily, and the fact that he'd ruined Fluttershy's night didn't help.

"Discord?"

He glanced up, noticing Fluttershy staring at him. Immediately, he tilted his head up, swelling with false pride. "Oh, I was just thinking about our next get-together; perhaps I'll tamper with our little cucumber sandwich recipe this time!"

Her snout scrunched up. "I-I see."

"Why do you ask?" he questioned, trying to play it a bit more cool than usual.

"O-oh, just... I thought you were upset," she replied. "You're making that face you make when you're thinking about something, and usually you only get lost in thought when you're upset."

He chuckled. "Do you even know who I am, Fluttershy? I don't get upset!"

He frowned as she made a face at him. "...Okay, I admit, that doesn't sound nearly as convincing after what just happened."

She exhaled, but a weak smile followed. "It really doesn't."

He squinted, disappearing in a flash of light and reappearing behind her. "Now who's making a face?"

She was startled, jumping a bit before turning to him. "W-well, I..."

"Don't tell me you're still upset?"

His delivery hadn't come out like she'd expected; she imagined him sounding annoyed, but instead, she only heard concern and... fear?

"It's... not like that. I'm not upset with you, Discord," she assured, moving past him to climb up onto her chair while pushing her accessory aside. "This..." she pursed her lips, trying to find the right word, "...experience, has just given me some things to think about, b-but it doesn't involve you like that, I promise!"

Discord's face came down to meet hers, and she recoiled as if he was looking into her soul.

He wasn't entirely sure if he believed her, but he also felt as if he'd lost his privileges to pry for the day. He stood up, straightening his bowtie before his outfit vanished completely. He waited to see if she'd say anything else, then floated upwards and went for the door.

"O-oh, please wait!"

The sound of a carriage screeching to a halt played as Discord stopped, landing on the floor and turning towards her. Her forelegs were crossed, and she seemed nervous.

"Um... do you still have our Tuesday teacakes?"

His perked up at that, a snap of his fingers summoning the tray of them. "Of course I do!"

He was at the couch in an instant, placing them on the table and staring at Fluttershy with a toothy grin. "Want to finish where we left off?"

She opened her mouth, but nothing came out, so she opted to nod instead.

The sat in silence for a while, eating the teacakes one by one. Discord enjoyed the time despite typically hating dull silence, because it meant that she probably wasn't still mad at him if she bothered to call him back inside. He knew that there really was something on her mind though, but he just couldn't figure out what. He wondered if maybe that was what made Fluttershy such a delight for him; she was unpredictable at times. She had other quirks that he loved too obviously, but he could never fully predict what was on her mind.

"...I'm sorry," she said suddenly.

He blinked, ears turning to face her. "Hm?"

"T-the party. I was thinking about it on the way back here. It's all on me, isn't it?"

Now he was thoroughly confused; usually he'd welcome the feeling because it led to intrigue, but not this time. Hadn't she been yelling at him previously? Why the change? "Whatever are you talking about? You literally did nothing but..." His voice trailed off as flashbacks of the day returned to his mind.

Fluttershy not hearing him until his throat clearing was absurdly loud.

Fluttershy never catching onto him.

Fluttershy talking to Tree Hugger and placing her hoof on the earth pony's shoulder.

His jealousy.

His sadness.

His rage.

"D-Discord, you're crushing the teacake..."

He looked down at his fist, which had been shaking and was now covered in pieces of a squished teacake. He clenched his teeth, knowing he'd been caught. "I...I'll have you know that I like my teacakes this way!"

He snapped up a tombstone for the teacake's remains, then slurped up the remains with his tongue, grabbing the tombstone afterwards and eating it like a chip.

She wasn't buying it, her eyes directed at the floor.

"I... shouldn't have assumed that you had a ticket. I-I know you ended up having one later, but I really should've asked first. I just remembered hearing about you giving those flowers to Celestia and thought that you two had made up." She was shaking a bit at that; Discord didn't understand why.

"And you were right. You are new at friendship. You did a lot of bad things, but it's not all your fault. I-it's mine too."

A small sniffle came from her, her foreleg moving up to her face to wipe away an unshed tear. "I...I ignored you. I really did. I saw that you were upset and didn't say anything."

"You noticed...?" Discord asked; in retrospect, he figured that he may have been a little obvious.

Fluttershy nodded, the tears beginning to roll down her cheeks. "I-I'm supposed to be the sensitive one, but I never t-thought that you might've been jealous." Her hooves came up to her heart as she looked at him. "I couldn't believe that you c-cared so much that you'd be upset."

He blushed at his feelings being called out, but tried to put his focus on making Fluttershy feel better. He reached out to touch her, but she pushed him away.

"I..." He cleared his throat, looking away. "I didn't think that'd matter to you." He tried his best to suppress his remaining rage over the event, but it was difficult. "After all, you'd never know anyone funnier than your dear friend Tree Hugger, right...?"

Fluttershy brought her hooves to her mouth, eyes shimmering with realization and sadness. "O-oh..."

"I heard you." It was hard to admit when he knew she was in tears. In fact, he hated himself for talking, but it was killing him inside. He had to know.

"No... n-no, oh, Discord." She shook her head, covering her face. "Tree Hugger just loves compliments. I-I didn't mean it, really..." Her sniffling got louder. "T-that...that makes me sound terrible, doesn't it?"

"I love compliments too," Discord stated bluntly, though his tone saddened from looking at her tears.

"I know. I-I know..." She looked up at him. "You r-really are... you really are the funniest I've ever met. I-I mean it..."

Great, now his blush was back. Her voice was laced with sincerity.

"I-I snap easily. I couldn't f-figure you out. I didn't know what w-was wrong, a-and it j-just came out w-when—"

He raised a hand, letting her know she could stop. She covered her mouth, but still seemed apologetic.

He was touched; he really didn't know she felt that way, especially after what'd happened. Her tears, her tone... she still cared about him and wasn't even mad anymore. He'd never been so happy to be wrong.

"...Fluttershy."

She seemed about to say something, but turned her head away at the last second, trying to calm herself down.

Discord wasn't sure what to do, and guilt was grinding at his heart. She felt so bad; he never would've guessed she did, but maybe all that rage she let out really was just pent-up sadness. He certainly knew the feeling.

He paused, then took a breath, groaning mentally as he reached over, placing his lion hand on Fluttershy's head.

She stiffened, eyes meeting with his.

He breathed up. "You're my oldest, bestest friend," he said softly, in a tone he didn't often use.

Her eyes widened. "W-what?"

His blush reddened with embarrassment. "I know you heard me!" He crossed his arms and huffed. "You're not going to make me break into a song over it, are you? Because I won't do it!"

She was quiet at first, re-absorbing what he'd said. Then, little giggles started leaving her mouth. She smiled, her tears flowing faster as a blush came to her face, as pink as her mane.

Suddenly, he felt as if his embarrassment was worth it. He recognized those happy giggles. His amusement that had seemed to be lost all day long returned. "Oh, Fluttershy, you really are too easy to please! If I knew this whole time that all I had to say was that, I would've done it when we first entered your cottage!"

Her giggles turned into laughs, her tears finally slowing down. Discord smiled and used his magic to give her a box of tissues, which she was thankful for. They didn't say it, but they knew that they were in mutual agreement that both of them had made some mistakes that night.

The tense atmosphere in the room vanished almost instantly, completely drowned out by Fluttershy's laughter. Discord remembered exactly why he liked her so much.

Soon enough, they were relaxed, occasionally moving back to the tray of teacakes to have another. Fluttershy was resting against the arm of the chair, eyes a bit puffy and half-lidded. Discord was laid out across the couch, just pleased that his guilt and fears had been eased. He was watching her quietly, her dress having been removed due to it now a bit wet with her tears and just general discomfort. Honestly, he didn't think she needed it anyway.

Though, despite his previous silence, one question still lingered in his mind...

"Discord?" Fluttershy called out suddenly, though a bit tiredly.

He gave her his attention.

She pouted. "You're making that face again..."

He snickered, slipping another teacake off the tray with his tongue. "Haven't you had enough for today?"

"No! ...I-I mean..." Fluttershy blushed as Discord let out a laugh. "Y-you can tell me! Is it something that's still bothering you?"

She was curious, though unsure of if whatever it was truly troubled him or not. She debated on whether or not to take her offer back, but decided against it; she was going to give him the attention he deserved.

Discord leaned up, stroking his beard and trying to find a way to bring up the subject. Having been away for a thousand years, he didn't know the exact terms.

"Well, you two seemed so close when you were walking together, and at the gala too."

"Yes? What about it?"

His eyes became a bit distant. "I was merely going to ask if you...you know."

Fluttershy furrowed her brows, trying to gauge what he meant. After a long moment, only proving her innocent nature, recognition clicked as her face turned red. "A-are you asking f-for my orientation?!"

He found her reaction amusing, but tried to keep a straight face. "You never told me."

"I-it's not something I ever talk about!" She gasped and directed a hoof at him. "A-and don't laugh!"

He had tried to hold it back; he really had. "I'm sorry. It's just too priceless!"

She pouted, as he didn't sound very sorry. Still, he always had a way of lightening her mood, so she couldn't stay mad.

She lowered her gaze to her hooves, shifting one over the others. "...B-besides, I don't know."

He raised a brow. "You... don't know?" he asked, a bit disbelievingly.

"I-I mean, I've found both stallions and mares a-attractive before, but," she covered her face, not able to fully believe she was actually having this conversation just yet, "I've never been actually in love before, so it's too hard to say, b-but I'm certainly not in love with Tree Hugger! She's just a good friend."

She watched his face to see what kind of reaction he'd give. His eyes had noticeably softened... relief maybe, but why? Why would he ask such a thing?

Regardless, it was obvious to her that he was still amused. Her wings flared out at her embarrassed state. "A-and what about you?"

"What about me?" Discord inquired, not understanding.

"Y-you seemed so surprised that I didn't know what my orientation was, s-so let's hear yours!" Her defiance was adorable. She wasn't sure why, but she felt curious now that she'd demanded him to tell her.

"Hmmm~" he teased, pretending to think about it.

"D-Discord!"

"All right, all right!"

He legitimately had needed to think about it though. Not that he didn't know, because he did, but he didn't think he had a way to describe it. Words found in dictionaries were too plain, and couldn't accurately portray him.

He was hesitant to say anything at all for a moment, but realized that, knowing her, it'd probably go right over her head, wouldn't it? He smirked at the mere thought; she was so naive.

"You could say I'm... Flutteromantic," he told her casually, watching her response just as she had watched him.

He stiffened at first as she stared blankly, fearing that she'd caught on, but felt relief once she tilted her head. "I've... never heard of that. Is that a term from a long time ago?"

Yup; right over her head, onto the floor, and rolling out the door.

He grinned. "I made it up."

"That's cheating!" she huffed.

"Too bad! That's my answer!"

He wasn't technically lying. Just as he'd never had a friend before, he'd never crushed on anyone either. His love life was devoid of anyone for so long, unless he counted himself of course, which he surprisingly didn't. There wasn't a word for how he felt, so he made one up.

Because he only had eyes for her, and no one else. No one else was good enough for him.

The only one he'd ever loved was Fluttershy. As far as he was concerned, she was his orientation.

Author's Note:

I kind of consider this the "Let's Talk" of my Fluttercord ideas; an addition to an episode that I felt was lacking something with hints of romance. Part of me is considering calling this the "Immediate" series or something.

I should say right away that I was a bit hesitant to post this (even now I'm shaking a bit at the idea), but those I sent it to seemed to enjoy it, so I decided to go for it. I don't hear a lot of negative things about this episode, and maybe that's in part due to Discord himself being such a delight, but regardless, that's what made me concerned to submit this. I don't want people to think that how they think is wrong or that I'm trying to fix something that "isn't broken".

I want to be clear and say that I don't think Discord is some sort of perfect angel who can do no wrong. He's a very flawed character and makes a lot of mistakes.

But, I feel very strongly in that, while Discord did play an active role in these wrongdoings, Fluttershy played a passive one.

She assumed that Discord had a ticket without asking first. She remained oblivious to his jealousy despite it being blatantly obvious (even season 1's Owl's Well That Ends Well had her catch onto Spike's jealousy fairly quickly). She thinks nothing of this Smooze friendship when Discord himself has said that he's "never really had a friend before." She makes no attempts to talk to or find Discord during the party despite saying that she'd love to talk to him again, forcing Discord to make all the moves; yes, Discord is hiding at times or walking off with the Smooze, but seeing Fluttershy make an actual attempt would've been nice because she was the one who mentioned them having fun together at the gala. Plus, I don't think I need to mention her "I've never known anypony as funny as you!" line, said to Discord in the beginning of the episode and then to Tree Hugger in the middle, making her compliments seem worthless and like she really was trying to replace him.

I'm not going to say that Fluttershy acts like the worst friend ever, mostly because I don't really think this is Fluttershy. She's calm, compassionate, motherly, and sensitive to the feelings of those around her. She's blunt at times and has a temper, but I always imagine that, once that temper has cooled, she breaks down and can't handle it. That's what I tried to convey here, by giving her actions in the episode reasons. I'm not going to theorize on who was worse based on their understanding of friendship versus the wrongdoings committed, but I do believe that they both screwed up. Discord had already been yelled at in the episode, so I tried not to focus overly much on him, and I hope this does a good job at acknowledging Fluttershy's faults without my emotions towards the actual episode seeping through and affecting my writing.