• Published 27th Jan 2017
  • 2,283 Views, 160 Comments

Friendship is Forever - pabrony



The Mane 6 say their final goodbyes one by one until only Twilight remains

  • ...
7
 160
 2,283

The Grand Finale

"Hi, Starlight!" Pinkie Pie shouted as she answered the door.

"Um, sweetness, that's not Starlight," Cheese Sandwich told Pinkie as he approached the front door.

"Oh, yeah. Hehe. Silly me," Pinkie giggled. "Sorry, Twilight. I shoulda known it was you. You have wings and Starlight doesn't. Plus 'Twilight' and 'wings' both start with 'T'. I'm so silly. Hehe"

Twilight and Cheese Sandwich just looked at each other and shook their heads in response. It was clear the party pony's condition was worsening.

"So where's Fluttershy and Rarity?" asked Pinkie.

"I actually came by to get you because we need to visit Fluttershy," Twilight told her.

Cheese Sandwich noticed the sadness in her voice from the last statement. So he looked Twilight in the eyes, pointed to his face and smiled, hoping the princess would put a fake smile on her face so as not to disturb his wife.

"Did you do any friendship stuff lately, Starlight?" Pinkie Pie asked.

"I'm Twilight, remember? And we both went to Baltimare a couple days ago to help that elderly couple," Twilight reminded her friend.

Pinkie Pie paused a moment to think before responding.

"Ummm, I don't know," she answered. "But do you remember that time we went to Baltimare to help that couple that was fighting?"

Twilight patiently hung her head and sighed.

"Oh! You know what we need to do? We need to throw a 'Welcome Back To Ponyville' party and invite Fluttershy and Rarity," Pinkie blurted out.

An uneasy smile crossed Twilight's face as she finally was given the opportunity to deliver the news she had.

"Umm, Pinkie? Rarity won't be coming to anymore parties," Twilight said as a tear began rolling down her right cheek. "She died in her sleep last night."

Pinkie just stood there speechless as her degrading mind tried to assimilate the information that was presented to her.

"How did you find out so soon?" Cheese Sandwich inquired.

"Lonely Heart and Happy Hooves came to the castle as soon as Celestia had the sun raised to tell me," Twilight replied.

"How are they taking it?" Cheese asked Twilight.

"They seem to be taking it pretty well," Twilight said.

"That's good to know," Cheese Sandwich replied. "I'm guessing that me and Pinkie are going to have to plan a farewell party then."


"Why?" Pinkie Pie asked unhappily.

"Because there was a filly that had to be hospitalized from it," Twilight answered. "I'm sorry but I can't let you use your party cannons without supervision anymore, Pinkie."

The pink pony's semi-curly mane completely deflated upon hearing the information that was presented to her from the lavender alicorn. The party cannon was her signature item at parties that ponies always looked forward to seeing. Even with her Alzhorser's Disease advancing, Pinkie did realize that Twilight had a point. She has had a few close calls in her solo parties in recent moons when setting off the cannons and somepony finally got hurt.

"Pinkie, I'm really sorry," Twilight repeated. "This wasn't my call. Princess Celestia informed me that if I didn't tell you, she would."

"But-but what am I going to use to decorate parties?" Pinkie asked as her ears drooped with her mane.

"Now I didn't say you couldn't use them. I said that you need to be supervised when operating them," Twilight responded. "Technically Celestia banned them but since they're a tradition here in Ponyville, I'm allowing them here as long as Cheese Sandwich is with you."

Pinkie's mane and tail began to slowly inflate as she digested Twilight's bold decision to go against her former mentor's ruling.

"Won't Celestia be mad at you for still allowing my party cannons?" asked Pinkie Pie.

"Probably but I really don't care," Twilight answered coldly. "My friends, the few of you that remain, come first. Come on, Pinkie. Let's get you home."


Sweet Cheese frantically galloped into the Palace of Friendship to enlist the aid of Twilight and Starlight Glimmer to help find his mother. Pinkie Pie had gone missing during a cute-ceañera about an hour earlier and nopony could find her.

"Slow down, Sweet Cheese," Twilight said as she tried to calm the young stallion. "What happened to her?"

"Nopony knows, Princess," Sweet Cheese told her. "The last couple days she's been talking about Ms. Rainbow's baby shower from before I was born. We checked the hot air balloons thinking she might have tried going to Mr. Thundercloud's house but they're all accounted for."

"She couldn't have gone far," Starlight said thoughtfully. "She's an earth pony. Which means she can't fly anywhere like a pegasus or teleport like a unicorn."

"True, but this is Pinkie Pie we're talking about," Twilight reminded her. "She once joined a band, went on tour with said band and broke up with the band en route to Yakyakistan during our peace negotiations forty years ago."

"You don't think she went to the Everfree Forest, do you?" Sweet Cheese asked.

Twilight sent a quartet of guards to Everfree as her, Starlight and Sweet Cheese continued to debate where else Pinkie Pie could have gone.


About an hour before Luna raised the moon, one of the groups of guards that Twilight sent out finally returned with a muddy, disoriented Pinkie Pie. Upon seeing her, the Cheese twins and their father galloped up to the chariot and threw their hooves around her in relief.

“Mom, where have you been?” Sweet Cheese asked first.

“I just went for a walk in Ponyville Park and went decided to go for a swim but I don't remember the water being that muddy,” answered Pinkie as she freed one of her hooves to scratch her head.

“That’s because we found her in Froggy Bottom Bog doing a backstroke through the mud,” one of the guards answered. “She was so muddy that we wouldn't have noticed if it weren't for her curly mane.”

Cheese Sandwich, who was now partially in mud, piped up. “Sweetness, you know you're supposed tell somepony if you want to go somewhere. We worry that something bad will happen if you're out wandering alone.”

The three stallions then escorted their matriarch back to the house so that they get her washed up and something to eat.


"Sweetness, we need to go to the hospital," Cheese Sandwich said.

"I don't want to go. I'm not sick," Pinkie retorted.

"It's not for you, mom," Cream Cheese explained. "Ms. Fluttershy is in the hospital and Princess Twilight asked us to take you so you could say goodbye."

"Goodbye? Is she moving out of Ponyville?" Pinkie asked.

"No, mom," Sweet Cheese told her. "Ms. Fluttershy is dying. We're going to say goodbye for good."

"Oh, why didn't anypony say anything? That's not very happy news," Pinkie Pie replied. "We should probably go to the hospital. Don't you think?"

"That sounds like a great idea, sweetness," Cheese Sandwich told her as he and their grown colts escorted the former party pony out the door.


"Awww," Pinkie Pie complained. "I got to use the party cannons last time and nothing bad happened."

"Mom, you personally haven't used a party cannon in almost four years," Sweet Cheese said flatly. "It's been me or dad setting them off since then."

"Are you sure?" Pinkie asked. "I could swear I set them off at Fluttershy's farewell party."

"Mom, we haven't had the farewell party for Ms. Fluttershy yet," Sweet Cheese explained. "We're throwing that tonight. Remember?"

"Ummm, no I don't," replied Pinkie.

Sweet Cheese just sighed in response. The last few years have been trying on the family of party ponies. Pinkie Pie's condition was worsening on a daily basis and the three stallions had really learned the meaning of the word patience in that time.

"Is Fluttershy going to be coming to the party then, Cheesy?" Pinkie asked with a smile.

"No, mom," Sweet Cheese deadpanned. "She can't. She died three days ago and I’m Sweet Cheese, not dad.”

"Oh. Why didn't you tell me Fluttershy died the other day?"

"We did. Don't you remember going to the hospital to visit her before she died?"

"Oh yeah. That was the day we went to the hospital to see her after her uh, um, her..." Pinkie replied.

"Her stroke," Sweet Cheese finished.

"Yeah that's it. Thanks a bunch. I'm getting kinda silly today, aren't I?" Pinkie smiled.

Sweet Cheese just sighed.


The sunlight filtered through the shutters in the apartment above Sugarcube Corner, brightening the bedroom slightly. In the bed laid a bright pink pony with dark pink hair. At the foot of the bed laid a tiny, toothless alligator.

"Good morning, Gummy!" Pinkie Pie squealed as she removed her eye mask. "Today's your birthday and I got all sorts of stuff planned for your party! That reminds me that I gotta go make your cake before I go invite all our friends so that we can have the bestest greatest most wonderful time together. You think I should do that singing invitation that I was planning to do for a long time?"

The small alligator just laid in the the bed and blinked in response.

"You're right. It's your first birthday and it should be extra extra extra special. Ya know, now that I think about it, didn't you already have your first birthday party? I mean, because you died about 15 years ago so I'm kinda confused as to what's going on."

Gummy just stared at his owner and licked his right eye just before hopping off the bed.

"Gummy you stay here. I'm going downstairs to see where Cheese Sandwich and the colts are at. Okay?" Pinkie Pie asked her beloved pet even though she knew she wouldn't get a response.

As Pinkie bounced down the stairs, she heard a explosion each time she landed. After getting halfway down the stairs she realized that the explosions were party cannons going off.

"The Cakes aren't gonna like this," she said when she saw the confetti and streamers covering inside the store. "I should probably clean this up before I go looking for everypony else."

Pinkie Pie hopped down off the stairs, causing yet another hidden party cannon to explode the instant her hooves hit the floor.

"Ugh, where are these party cannons coming from?" Pinkie Pie groaned the cannons continued to fire as she bounced to the closet to get the broom. "I'm never gonna get this mess cleaned up if they keep going off."

"Hey, Pinkie!" came a voice from the door. "What time is Gummy's birthday party tonight?"

Pinkie's head quickly spun nearly 180 degrees and stared at the door. 'Was that...? Naw, can't be...' Pinkie thought.

"Um, Pinkie Pie? Are we still bringing our pets to Gummy's party?" a quieter voice called.

"Dashie? Fluttershy? Is that you?" Pinkie called.

"Me an' Rarity are out here too," called the distinct voice of Applejack. "Y'all reckon ya can let us in?"

"Umm, I don't know. It's a pretty big mess in here," Pinkie hollered. "Plus there's no wheelchair ramp for Fluttershy."

An awkward silence filled the bakery after that. Some muffled whispers could be heard through the door as Pinkie continued to sweep up the confetti. "Dashie? Are you all still there?" Pinkie shouted toward the door.

"We're still here, darling," Rarity replied. "There's no rush. Whenever you get the place decorated we'll be ready for you to let us in."


"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to celebrate the life of Pinkamena Diane Pie," Princess Twilight recited to nearly the entire population of Ponyville. "As the last original bearer of an Element of Harmony, the Element of Laughter, we can all agree that she always made anypony's day brighter no matter what their mood."

Twilight took a moment to compose herself for the next part of the speech so that she could keep the service flowing smoothly.

"Even in the last few years as her mind deteriorated, we could still manage a smile while trying to help her," Twilight continued. "But in the end, against the advice of her husband and twin colts, Pinkie fired an overstuffed party cannon that exploded in her face."

Author's Note:

Alzhorser's Disease is a play on Alzheimer's Disease.

One chapter left to go.

Thanks to Uncle Bob for proofreading.