• Published 27th Jan 2017
  • 2,283 Views, 160 Comments

Friendship is Forever - pabrony



The Mane 6 say their final goodbyes one by one until only Twilight remains

  • ...
7
 160
 2,283

Farewell Parties

As tears of worry began filling her eyes and her hair beginning to deflate, Pinkie Pie held Cheese Sandwich's hooves in preparation for the impending morbid news.

"So, the good news is that everything checks out for a mare that's two moons pregnant," Dr. Delivery said with a goofy smile before changing to a more serious look. "However, the bad news is that you still have nine moons left to go."

Pinkie Pie sat there in silence with her husband before a smile appeared, which then turned into a giggle and then a full blown laughing fit from all three ponies.

"You... you really had... had us going there for... for a minute," Pinkie managed between breaths as she continued to laugh at near uncontrollable levels. "I... I thought there was... was something really... really wrong."

Dr. Delivery managed to be the first to settle down so she could talk to the expectant parents calmly.

"I'm sorry," Dr. Delivery said still smiling. "I play that joke on all first-time parents. Although, I don't ever remember getting a reaction as big as you two gave me."

"Don't be sorry when it comes to making ponies laugh," Pinkie said. "It's the bestest greatest thing you can do."

"I'm glad to see that your doctor has a great sense of humor, sweetness," Cheese Sandwich said with smile.

"I've always had a positive attitude toward life," Dr. Delivery said. "I figured since my parties were terrible when I was younger, I'd do the next best thing besides a party planner and became a doctor. But just like all other doctors, I have to lay down a few rules."

Pinkie moaned in disappointment as Dr. Delivery went over the dietary and lifestyle changes, which included a dramatic reduction in sweets, that Pinkie needed to implement during her pregnancy.


Pinkie Pie woke up on the couch after what had become her daily afternoon nap. She needed a dozen cupcakes to snack on but due to the gestational diabetes she had developed over the last three moons, that was not going to be a possibility. So she slowly rolled off the couch to the fridge for her replacement snack, cucumber sandwiches.

I can't believe I have three more moons of this diet, Pinkie thought grumpily.

As she loaded the sandwiches about a foot high on the plate, Cheese Sandwich walked into the kitchen to check on her.

"How was your nap?" he asked as he gave Pinkie a nuzzle on the cheek.

"It could've been better if the foal would've taken a nap too," she chuckled. "I can't wait for D-day though. My hooves are killing me, I gotta use the bathroom all the time, I'm the size of a buffalo and all these naps are keeping me from planning super awesome parties."

Cheese just smiled as he grabbed a sandwich off of Pinkie's plate, earning him a death stare.

"This is your freebie for the week," Pinkie growled. "Do. Not. Take. My. Sandwiches. I need these."

"Well don't take too long. You have your doctor's appointment in a little bit," Cheese reminded her.

Pinkie paused a moment before swallowing half the sandwiches in one gulp and put the rest in her saddlebag to eat on the way to the doctor.

"Oooh. We get to see the foal again today. Maybe we see if we're having a colt or filly this time," Pinkie replied excitedly. "What are we waiting for? Let's go! C'mon slowpoke."

"Sweetness, two things. Your appointment isn't for two hours and you're not supposed to be bouncing," Cheese Sandwich told her.

"Oh, right," Pinkie smiled as she returned to walking. "But maybe they'll let us go in early if we leave now."

"I doubt it but we can try if you want," Cheese relented. "No galloping!" he shouted after her as Pinkie took off out the door.

"Awww," Pinkie whined as she came to a stop.


"Ms. Pie?" the nurse called to the waiting room.

"Hey, it's your turn," Cheese Sandwich said as he nudged Pinkie Pie, who had fallen back to sleep in the waiting room.

"Huh? Wha... ? Oh..." Pinkie mumbled as she wiped the drool from her chin before slowly gingerly climbing off the chair.

"I tried warning you that coming two hours early was a bad idea," Cheese told her.

"Yeah, yeah..." Pinkie grumbled as they was lead to the exam room to get her vital signs.

Pinkie's post-nap grumpiness was quickly changed back to excitement when she saw the ultrasound monitor.

"When is Dr. Delivery coming in to smear that goopy gel stuff on my belly?" she asked the nurse as she clapped her hooves together like a little filly.

"She'll be here in a few minutes," the nurse chuckled at the pink pony's enthusiasm. "I've been doing this for a long time and I think you're the first pony to look forward to the ultrasound gel."

"Really? Cool!" Pinkie replied.

After the nurse finished and left the room, Cheese asked Pinkie about who the god ponies should be.

"Well, there's lotsa ponies that would make good god ponies," Pinkie said, rubbing her chin in thought. "Did you have anypony in mind?"

"I did actually. I was thinking about..." Cheese said before being interrupted by Dr. Delivery entering the room.

"How's my favorite party pony doing today?" the doctor asked.

"I'm super duper doc. I'm really excited to see the foal again," Pinkie replied.

"So the nurse tells me," Dr. Delivery chuckled. "First we need to check the foal's heartbeat though, okay?"

Pinkie nodded as she laid back to give the doctor easier access to her stomach. Dr. Delivery ran the fetal heart monitor over Pinkie until she found the heartbeat. But there was something off about the heartbeat.

"Well now, it's a good thing we're running an ultrasound today," Dr. Delivery said. "Something sounds different about the foal's than it should."

"Like what?" Cheese Sandwich piped up first.

"It almost sounds like two hearts," the doctor replied.

"Well, duh. There's my heart and the foal's heart," Pinkie responded as the ultrasound gel was applied to her stomach. "Oooh. That's cold!"

Dr. Delivery flipped on the ultrasound monitor as she moved the wand back and forth until she found what she was looking for. What she found caused her to open her eyes wide in shock.

"What's wrong doc?" Cheese asked as the monitor was turned toward the expecting parents. "Why does our foal have six legs?"

"That's why I'm surprised," Dr. Delivery replied. "There's nothing wrong with either of the colts."

Pinkie and Cheese looked at each other before shouting in unison, "Colts?!"

"Yes, one of them must have been hiding when I did the first ultrasound. Congratulations on carrying twins!" Dr. Delivery said as Cheese Sandwich fainted.


Years later, Pinkie Pie threw the first farewell party for any of her friends. The biggest difference between this party and the other farewell parties she had thrown was that the pony it was being thrown for never showed up.

"You know Pinkie, Dash would've loved this party," Spitfire told her. "I personally would like to thank you for inviting me and the other Wonderbolts. Dash was like family to us."

"You're welcome, I just never threw a funeral party before," Pinkie replied.

"I think it's helping boost most everypony's spirits," Spitfire told her. "You might want to check on your friend Applejack, though."

The two ponies looked over in the direction of the tangerine farm pony. She was sitting in a corner booth staring out the window in a trance. The black Stetson that Rarity custom made her for Rainbow's funeral was on the table and a bottle of cider in her left hoof. She was so deep in thought that she didn't even notice Pinkie Pie sit down until there was a pink foreleg around her shoulder.

"Oh, heya thar Pinkie," Applejack said quietly. "Great party."

"What's wrong? I mean, besides not seeing Dashie anymore," Pinkie asked in a soothing tone.

"That's jist it. We was real close," Applejack paused to wipe the tears from her eyes. "Now I ain't goin' see her no more. It's almost like... like a piece o' me died the other day."

Pinkie didn't know what to say to that so she wrapped her other foreleg around Applejack and hugged her so she could have somepony to support her while she released her tears. Pinkie felt her Pinkie Sense go off when she looked out of the window to see a distressed Fluttershy fly off toward her cottage. So she whistled at Vinyl Scratch, who was in the dj booth, to get her attention so she could chase after her marefriend.

"Everything okay?" Twilight asked as she approached the corner booth a few minutes later.

"I don't know. I felt my whole body shudder and then I saw Fluttershy fly away toward her house," Pinkie replied.

"Whole body shudder? When was the last time you had one like that?" Twilight asked.

Pinkie thought a moment before answering, "Ummm, the last time I felt a doozy was shortly after you moved to Ponyville."

"Pinkie... that was 33 years ago," said Twilight. "This must be one whopper of a feeling."

"I know, ri..." Pinkie trailed off as she saw a medical wagon head toward Fluttershy's cottage.


"Has anypony seen Rarity?" Pinkie asked over the country music coming from the radio.

All the ponies in attendance were busy mingling at the moment and couldn't hear the party host trying to find one of her closest friends. Rarity was supposed to deliver a small speech around the midway point of the party regarding Applejack, but while her husband and daughter were there, Rarity was not.

Pinkie began bouncing around from pony to pony trying to find out if they had seen her or not and everypony had the same answer: No.

Oh where is she? Pinkie worried. She was the last one by AJ's side and it would most appropriate for her to give a meaningful speech.

After making three or four laps around Sugarcube Corner asking everypony where Rarity was, Pinkie just stopped cold in her tracks trying to figure out what she was doing.

"Sweetness? You okay?" Cheese Sandwich asked his wife.

"Yes indeedily. Why?" she replied, confused.

Cheese Sandwich planted his right front hoof on his forehead in response the Pinkie's question.

"Pinkie, did you remember your medication this morning?" Cheese asked with concern.

"I... well... I think so," Pinkie answered as she scratched the back of her head. "Can I ask you a question Cheesy?"

Cheese just sighed and nodded because he knew what the question was going to be... again.

"Have you seen Rarity? She's supposed to be here," Pinkie asked.

"For the fourth and final time, no," Cheese told her. "How about you head over to the boutique to see if she's there."

"Oooh, that's a great idea!" Pinkie squealed. "Be right back."

Cheese took over running the party as Pinkie headed out the door toward Carousel Boutique.


"Rarity? There's a party! Where are you?" Pinkie shouted outside the boutique.

Not receiving an answer through the window, the pink pony entered the building to see if she was home. What she found inside was sketches of cowpony-inspired dresses, a couple of them half finished and a silhouette in a window that looked like Applejack. Pinkie Pie moved closer and found it was actually her missing friend wearing a deep blue Stetson and her mane and tail styled in ponytails with the ends tied in cyan ribbons.

"Rarity? Is that really you?" Pinkie asked.

"Of course it's me, Pinkie" Rarity replied in her clarion voice. "Who else would be sitting here in the corner?"

"Why do you look like Applejack?"

"Well somepony's got to wear their mane in ponytails," Rarity answered. "And besides, Applejack's mane looks like mine used to. That's a style that... that... oh Pinkie. Why did she have to die?"

"I don't know, Rarity," Pinkie said as she hugged the ivory unicorn while her mane and tail simultaneously deflated.

Rarity buried her face into Pinkie's chest as she released most of the tears she had been holding back since the funeral. Rarity had been in the hospital room with Applejack as she drew her last breath. It was something Rarity never expected to happen in her lifetime. It was the reason Rarity was asked to give a small speech at the farewell party because she was having trouble dealing with it.

"Pi-Pinkie? Do... do I have t-to go?" Rarity cried. "It... it's just too... painful. I can't..."

"It was Twilight's idea. She thinks it will help bring, uh, what's the word?" Pinkie tried explaining.

"Cl-closure?" Rarity suggested.

"Yeah, that the word" Pinkie said.

Rarity looked into Pinkie Pie's bright blue eyes as she wiped her own. Even in the sadness in Ponyville, Pinkie somehow was able to bring a smile to anypony that crossed her path. This time was the same as every other one, as a weak smile appeared on Rarity's face.

"Let me *sniff* get changed and I'll be there," Rarity sighed.

"Actually going to the party like that might help everypony," Pinkie suggested.

Author's Note:

For those who don't know, equine pregnancies are eleven months (or moons in this universe) long. I hope this clears some confusion.

We're starting to wind down to the end. Time has seemed to fly by since this ride kicked off in January.

Thanks to Uncle Bob for editing.