• Published 27th Jan 2017
  • 2,283 Views, 160 Comments

Friendship is Forever - pabrony



The Mane 6 say their final goodbyes one by one until only Twilight remains

  • ...
7
 160
 2,283

A New Life

WELCOME HOME, FLUTTERSHY!

"It's so nice to see you finally out of the hospital," Pinkie Pie said cheerfully.

"We don't know what we would've done if you had left us so soon after Rainbow Dash, darling," Rarity told her as she gave her a gentle hug.

Twilight was relatively quiet as everypony else welcomed the shy pegasus back to her home. She was feeling some guilt over what happened due to being the Friendship Princess and ignoring her friend after such a tramatic event.

"Thank you, everypony ," Fluttershy said quietly. "This means a lot to me. I do have an announcement to make though. Vinyl is going to be moving in with me to help care for the animals."

"Y'all mind if Ah address th' elephant in th' room?" Applejack asked with an uneasy smile.

"What elephant is that?" Pinkie said. "There's lots of animals in here but none of them are elephants, silly."

Fluttershy put on a weak smile her face at Pinkie's literal interpretation of Applejack's question, however she knew what was about to be asked.

"Um, okay, Applejack," Fluttershy quietly answered her friend.

"Ah'm sorry if Ah make y'all uncomfortable by sayin', but how long are ya gonna be in that thar wheelchair?" Applejack asked warily.

The entire inside of the cottage fell silent in anticipation of the yellow pegasus' response.

As tears began to slide down her face, Fluttershy responded, "For... for..."

Vinyl Scratch cradled Fluttershy in her hooves to help calm her down and proceded to finish for her marefriend, "She broke one the bones in her neck when she, well, you know. Because of that, she's lost the use of her hindlegs and has extremely limited use of her wings. It took this last month for her to regain movement in her forelegs."

The silence inside the cottage was deafening. The news of her condition caught everypony off guard and nopony knew what to say to her. She had sent messages to her friends that she was spending a moon or two in rehab and she wouldn't be able to have visitors beyond family but she didn't elaborate past that.

While Vinyl continued to hold Fluttershy in her hooves, the rest of the ponies in the cottage began talking amongst themselves between sobs on how they could help her.

"Why didn't you tell us how bad your injury was?" Twilight asked with tears in her eyes.

"Well, I-I was afraid that, well, that nopony would want to-to be around me because I-I couldn't move on my own," Fluttershy stammered. "I-I'm just going to be... be a burden on everypony... that's why."

"Darling, you are not, I repeat, not a burden nor will you ever be one," Rarity reassured her.

"That's right," Applejack chimed in. "Look at how y'all been helpin' Rarity all these years cope with her condition."

A small smile began to form on Fluttershy's face as her crying slowed to a few sniffles. "Th-thank you everypony."

Vinyl moved back slightly as the other four ponies crowded around Fluttershy for a loving embrace.

"So are y'all gonna stay here or..." Applejack began.

"I'm going to move in with Scratchie and Octavia until we can find a place that's big enough for my animals and only one floor."

Twilight's eyes lit up when she heard that. She motioned to Applejack to follow her out of Fluttershy's earshot.

"I have an idea but I need your help..." Twilight told her quietly.


"I can't believe you found me a new house for me already," Fluttershy told her friends as Vinyl pushed her through Ponyville.

As they continued through town, Fluttershy took notice that the route they were taking was the same one to her cottage. Confused about why they were going there, she spoke up.

"Um, Twilight?" she asked to get Princess' attention. "Why are we going to my cottage?"

"We're going to pick up the rest of your stuff for your new place," Twilight replied with a warm smile.

"Scratchie, I appreciate you and Octavia helping me out," Fluttershy said over her shoulder to her marefriend.

"No biggie, critter lover," Vinyl replied as she leaned forward to nuzzle Fluttershy on her right cheek. "That's what you do for those that you're crazy about."

The three ponies crossed over the small bridge in front of Fluttershy's cottage before reaching the front door and slowly opening it. Fluttershy was in shock at the sight before her. There were the rest of her friends below a banner made by Pinkie Pie that read:

WELCOME HOME (AGAIN), FLUTTERSHY!

"What's this?" Fluttershy asked, confused. "I thought you said you found a new home, Twilight."

"That was ta throw y'all off fer th' surprise," chuckled Applejack.

Fluttershy's eyes lit up as she was filled with anticipation, wondering what the surprise that her friends had put together for her.

"Ya see, while y'all were stayin' with Vinyl we done retrofitted yer cottage so that it'll be easier fer ya ta git 'round in here," Applejack said as she stepped to the side. "The biggest difference in here is th' elevator that takes y'all ta the second floor. We also done lowered all yer shelves an' cabinets ta make it easier fer y'all ta access."

"We also put in a mechanism that will allow you to get in and out of bed by yourself," Twilight added.

Fluttershy just sat there, speechless. The only response she could come up with a tearful smile. She couldn't believe that they had been able to pull this off in just three weeks. When she finally was able to get the words she wanted, there was a knock at the door. Vinyl opened the door to reveal Dr. Hooves with a large crate.

"Delivery for Fluttershy," he said.

"That's me," Fluttershy said quietly.

Applejack pushed the large crate inside where Fluttershy had Vinyl open it to reveal a new wheelchair. Fluttershy looked it over and saw it was noticeably different from the one she was sitting in. Dr. Hooves explained to her that it was his newest invention, a wheelchair that was powered by rechargeable magic cells, which could be operated by the pony sitting in it.

"Heya, critter lover, you okay?" Vinyl asked as she lifted her shades up and rested them on her horn.

Fluttershy just nodded as she sat there with tears of happiness streaming down her face. The atmosphere inside the cottage was silent but the joy radiating off the yellow pegasus could be felt by everypony present. Nopony wanted to break the silence until Fluttershy expressed her feelings first.

Taking a deep breath, Fluttershy finally managed to quietly squeak out in between her sobs of joy, "Th-thank you... ev-everypony. This means... *sniff* so much to m-me. I-I can't even... *sniff* tell you how hap-happy I am."

"There's even more to make it super duper better," Pinkie Pie told her as she brought her saddle bags over to the rest of the group. "You're gonna be really, really, really happy when you see what's in here."

Almost as if on cue, a little white bunny poked its head out of the bag, which caused Fluttershy to break down in in tears.

"Awww, he reminds me of... *sniff* Angel," Fluttershy told them with a large smile on her face. "I'm going to name you... *sniff* Spirit."

"That's an absolutely gorgeous name, darling," Rarity exclaimed.

"Thank you so much everypony," Fluttershy said as she hugged Spirit. "I love everything you've done. I was so worried about how much of burden I thought I would be that I completely forgot how far you would go to help me have some independence. Scratchie, Do you think you could help me to my new chair?"

"Sure thing. Hop on," Vinyl said as she knelt down in front of Fluttershy so that she could lean over onto the unicorn's back. Vinyl gently carried her from the manual chair to the power chair. Vinyl then lit her horn to steady Fluttershy as she set her into the new wheelchair.

"Wow. Y'all look ya did b'fore," Applejack said to the couple with a smile.

"Actually we do," Fluttershy replied. "Scratchie does it this way for me because it doesn't make me feel helpless like it would if she moved me with her magic."

"I almost forgot about the super duper most important thing here," Pinkie suddenly blurted out before leaving the room.

"What's that?" Fluttershy asked with some excitement in her voice.

Pinkie Pie returned pulling a small cart behind her that had 5-tier cake on it.

"It's vanilla swirled with strawberry with super sweet strawberry frosting," Pinkie said full of excitement.

Fluttershy's face practically glowed at sight of her favorite flavor of cake. She gently eased herself over to her friends in her new wheelchair and brought them in for a hug.

"I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am for all of this," Fluttershy beamed. "I could say thank you for moons and it won't be enough."

Everypony in the cottage was crying to some degree as they all embraced Fluttershy to say "You're welcome."

Author's Note:

Not the best way to end the chapter but considering I've been doing some depressing works lately, ending a chapter on a high note might be a nice change of pace.