• Published 27th Jan 2017
  • 2,283 Views, 160 Comments

Friendship is Forever - pabrony



The Mane 6 say their final goodbyes one by one until only Twilight remains

  • ...
7
 160
 2,283

...Friends Help You Up

"Honey, you alright?" Lonely heart asked as he waved his hoof in front of Rarity's face. "You've been staring at the same piece of fabric for three straight days now. What's on your mind?"

Rarity looked at him with a mix of sadness and confusion in her navy blue eyes and asked, "When we found out I was sterile 21 years ago, why didn't you leave me? I mean, what good is a mare that can't reproduce?"

He walked up behind her and gently rubbed his left hoof on her back as she began softly crying.

"It's because I love you," he whispered softly in her ear. "Honey, is this what's been bothering you for the past year? Applebloom's pregnancy?"

She replied with a simple nod of her head while she dried her eyes with a handkerchief.

A brief silence filled the air as the midnight blue unicorn turned his wife's face so she could look at him.

"Listen, honey," he said softly, "Until you came along 25 years ago, I thought I was doomed to be alone forever because of not only my name but also my cutie mark. You showed me what it means to love somepony with your generosity. It taught me that life has its high points as well as it's low points. While I'm still bummed out that we can't have foals of our own, I'm still willing to adopt a young colt or filly if you are."

"It's not going be the same though, darling," Rarity sighed. "We can raise a foal that we adopted but he or she won't truly be ours."

Lonely gave her a kiss before leaving the room.

"Will you please do me a favor and think about it?"

Rarity gave a slight nod and went back to staring at the fabric.


Three days later, Rarity and Lonely Heart were joined by Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Applejack and their respective families for Applebloom's presentation of Jazz. Celestia lead the proceedings that included songs sung by the Ponytones and Sweetie Belle.

Shortly after the reception party began, Pinkie ambushed Rarity by pulling her into a corner by her tail.

"Pinkie Pie! That really hurt," Rarity snapped at her friend while she inspected her tail. "My tail is a mess now and I don't have a brush to fix it. What did you do that for?"

"Rarity, I have something super duper important to talk to you about," Pinkie told her in an usually serious tone of voice. "When are you going to adopt some foals? The colts love spending time at your place when you watch them for me and Cheesy but lately they've been wanting another pony to play with when they are there."

A stunned Rarity looked at Pinkie, then at her glass of apple punch and then back at Pinkie.

"Pinkie Pie, I just don't think..." she paused to take a deep breath, "I don't think I would able to raise another pony's colt or filly."

"Why not?" Pinkie asked with a puzzled look. "Every colt and filly needs a home with lots and lots of love. Plus I think if you have a little one galloping around the house will help you get over the funk you've been in since Dashie's funeral last year."

It was something with that statement that made something click in Rarity's mind. Pinkie Pie had a point. She was the Element of Generosity. She suddenly realized the hypocrisy by not opening her home to a foal that needed a loving family.

"Something wrong, Rarity?" inquired Pinkie.

"Not at all, darling," said Rarity as a smile slowly appeared on her face. "Quite the opposite. I'll talk to you later."

"Okey dokey lokey," grinned Pinkie Pie as she gave a secret wink to Lonely Heart, who was watching the conversation from afar.

Rarity rejoined the celebration to talk with her husband. After a few minutes of talking, the two unicorns shared an emotional hug and sought out Applebloom and Rockin' Out.

A few minutes later, Applebloom took the stage and interrupted Vinyl Scratch's song.

"Sorry, Vinyl," Applebloom apologized before getting on the microphone. "Ah wanna thank y'all fer comin' ta th' party. Rockin' an' Ah are really lucky ta have such great friends like Y'all. Anywho, Rarity an' Lonely Heart done asked if they can make announce somethin' ta everypony. Here ya go."

"As many of you all know, 21 years ago we found out that I was sterile, which devastated both of us," Rarity announced to the crowd as she hoofed the mic off.

Lonely took the mic and continued, "Thanks to a verbal nudge from Pinkie Pie, Rarity and I are making a trip to the Canterlot Orphanage next month to adopt a unicorn filly."

Everypony in attendance began cheering and stomping their hooves on the floor. Upon seeing the reaction from the other ponies, Rarity started felt a feeling of happiness that she hadn't felt in years. As they left the stage, everypony was lining up to congratulate the couple.

"You would've thought we told them you were pregnant," Lonely laughed as they began dancing.

"Yes you would, darling," said Rarity, also laughing. "Yes, you would."


Later in the evening, after the reception, Rarity and Lonely began cleaning out the extra storage room so that the filly they were going to adopt would have a bedroom.

"So what age should we adopt, honey?" asked Lonely as he moved a ponyquin out of way.

"I didn't think about it really," Rarity replied as she gathered up some rolls of fabric. "I'd say no younger than three years old maybe, that way we can stop at Quills & Couches so they can pick out a bedroom set."

"Sounds like a good idea to me," Lonely told her.

"This is really making me feel like I'm going to faint," Rarity said weakly. "You wouldn't mind helping me to the bed so I can rest a minute or two, would you?"

"Sure, honey," Lonely Heart said as he allowed Rarity to lean up against him as they worked their way to the bedroom.

"Thank you, darling," said Rarity as she sat down on the edge of the bed and continued to catch her breath.

"Are you going to be okay?" Lonely asked her compassionately.

"I am now," Rarity told him as she quit panting and gave him a devious smile.

"You mean to tell me..." Lonely Heart started. "You were faking so we could..."

"Yes, darling," Rarity said as she kissed him on the lips. "Can I be on top tonight?"


Lonely Heart and Rarity looked over the files of the three unicorn fillies they were considering for adoption in the office of the Canterlot Orphanage.

First was Twinkle Toe, who was three years old with an incredible talent for dancing. Then there was Happy Hooves, a four-year-old that was able to paint pictures with near realism. Finally, there was High Tone, a five-year-old that could sing almost as well some of the most famous ponies in Equestria.

"So which one do you like the best," Lonely Heart wanted to know.

"I really like Happy Hooves," Rarity said with a smile. "She reminds me of how I was at that age."

"You mean like how she gave the cookie you gave her to the shy pegasus in the corner?" Lonely asked

"Yes, darling," acknowledged Rarity. "Exactly like that."

"What about Twinkle Toe?" asked the stallion. "She has got the most beautiful smile I've seen, besides yours of course."

"Well High Tone could be a duet partner for my sister," Rarity pointed out.

They both let out a heavy sigh and simultaneously said, "This is going to be harder than we thought."

Author's Note:

Originally published on 2/11/17. Revised on 3/23/17.

A presentation is the pony equivalent of a human baptism.