• Published 23rd Jan 2017
  • 611 Views, 18 Comments

The Moon Rises - Dash32



1,000 years before the Mane Six are even born, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna had a falling out. One that would lead to the banishment of the Princess of the Night. This is their story

  • ...
2
 18
 611

Chapter I

Long ago, in that deep regions of what is now the Everfree Forest, there stood a large castle. A castle that was home to the two rulers of Equestria. Legend has it that the eldest sister, Princess Celestia, was born to control the day time hours. While the youngest, Princess Luna, watched over the night. Each sister worked harmoniously to maintain balance throughout the land known as Equestria.

Luna stood at her balcony, watching as Celestia raised the sun for the day. Watching the ponies slowly rouse from their sleep, Luna felt something deep inside her raise to the surface, as she felt as if she were about to cry.

“Why? What is so special about Celestias’ sun that they love? Why don’t they like my night? Is it because my light doesn’t shine as bright?” Luna asked herself, going inside and closing the door.

Not bothering to go back to her bed, Luna collapsed and leaned against the door, allowing herself to cry.

As years passed, Princess Luna grew more jealous. Resentment of her elder sister continued to grow. Luna watched night after night as the ponies played in her sisters’ warm light, while they slept in her gentle moon light. As the time went on, that feeling that nopony appreciated the hard work that went into creating the wonders of the night, started to become more of a fact than a feeling in Luna’s mind.

One day, Princess Luna became depressed. Rage and sadness built up over time, and eventually she reached a point that she had never been to before, as she realized that it was the time of the year where Celestias’ sun stayed in the sky the longer than in the winter. With a touch of curiosity as well as not knowing what else to do, Luna finally spoke her mind.

“Tia?” Luna called out, softly knocking on her sister’s bedroom door.

The door became engulfed in a golden aura and swung open, revealing the Sun goddess herself.

“Luna? I thought that you would still be asleep.”

Walking into the room, Luna saw Celestia at her desk doing some paperwork.

“I need to talk to you. I was wondering if you could lower the sun early? Give my night a chance to be seen perhaps?”

“Luna, you know I can’t do that.” Celestia sighed, walking over to her window.

“For me to lower the sun early, would cause an imbalance in the world. It would throw off the balance of Equestria. You know that as well as I do.”

Luna didn't understand what was so special about her sisters ‘precious light’. What makes it so much more important than the beauty that is night?

“Or is it that you want the light all for yourself! You have always hated my night! You just don't want to admit it to me! Nopony in this world appreciates the work that goes into creating such a masterpiece!” Luna yelled, not realizing she was going to until she did.

Surprised, Celestia took a step back and turned around to face Luna. Speaking softly, she placed a hoof over Luna's shoulder.

“Of course, not. I am not more important than you, Luna. And of course I love your night. It's a beautiful thing what you make for the ponies of Equestria. Where is this coming from?”

“Then why must you and they insist on ignoring it like some worthless trash and sleep through it?!” Luna continued fumingly.

“Because ponies like you and I need sleep. It's is the same as it would be when you sleep during the day. Other ponies get tired after a long day of working, so they need rest. You know that, Luna!”

Shrugging off her sisters hoof, Luna turned around to leave. Without another word, Luna walked out of the room bedroom and went into the throne room.

“My night is a beautiful thing. Why can’t they see that?” She muttered to herself, pacing on a ledge behind the thrones.

“Luna, come down and talk to me! Please!” Celestia called, entering the throne room.

As Luna turned around to face Celestia, something had finally snapped in her.

“Leave me alone!” Luna yelled, firing a bolt of energy at her sister.

“Can you just talk to me? I’m sure we can work something out.”

“I SAID LEAVE ME ALONE!” Luna bellowed using her Royal Canterlot voice.

“Luna please! I want to help you! We can talk about this!” Celestia begged.

“There is nothing to talk about! You obviously think your light is superior over the wonders of the night! I thought we would have been able to talk this out civilly! But apparently that just is not going to happen!

Celestia rubbed her temple in frustration. Taking a deep breath, she tried to reason with her sister again.

“Alright. Obviously we both need time to cool off. It's almost time for me to lower the sun. We'll talk about this in the morning sister. Until then, you need to do your duty.”

“But tomorrow it will be too late!”

“IT IS NOT UP FOR DISCUSSION LUNA!!”

Having her sister lash out at her made Luna gasp in fright. All anger in Celestias' eyes washed away immediately as she realized the way she spoke to her little sister.

“Oh Luna...I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to snap at you like that. Can you forgive me?”

“GO AWAY!! YOU OBVIOUSLY HATE THE FACT THAT THE NIGHT IS SO MUCH MORE GLORIOUS THAN THE DAY! SO JUST GO AWAY!!” Luna yelled as she galloped away from the premises.

With her head hung low, Celestia could only whisper to herself.

“I'm sorry, sister.”

From that day on. The fate of Equestria would change for the next 1,000 years. Eventually it would become a way of life and ponies would get used to it. But for Celestia, this would be a night that she will never forget.

This is the story about how the demon known throughout history as Nightmare Moon, came to be...

Author's Note:

Credit for this chapter goes to Calming Moon for helping me modify this chapter. Thank you!:twilightsmile: