• Published 21st Jan 2017
  • 8,641 Views, 411 Comments

Nocturnal Mayhem - Silvak



Watch the life of a warrior, given a second shot at life, where they become the newest, youngest member of the royal family... along with another alicorn foal who happens to be an eternal rival.

  • ...
22
 411
 8,641

Chapter VII: Needle

"Okay, this will only feel like a tiny pinch, your highness," said a brown unicorn in a doctor's lab coat, as I gave him a flat stare while sitting on a chair with Luna at my side, as we await in the medical wing of the castle. Shorty after taking care of the adoption papers, Pinkie decided to celebrate by blowing a cannon, giving cakes to both Luna and me, one for each of us, mine saying 'Happy Adoption Day!' Sadly, for her case, Pinkie had to take her leave since she had work in the morning, though she told me that I need to smile more and to have more fun, instead of being, and I quote, 'A party pooper'.

Afterwards, it was insisted that blood sample was needed, for health reasons, leading to me holding out a leg as I said, "I really don't care, let's just get this over with."

"It seems my daughter is not afraid of the needle, good doctor. Proceed with your work," Luna ordered from my side.

Blinking at us, the doctor said, "Okay... as you wish, your highness," as he levitated a syringe over my leg before bringing it down, only to see the needle bumping against my leg. "What the?" the doctor said as he tried again, only to fail. On the third try, he brought the needle down harder, only for it to snap off after failing to pierce my leg.

"Hmmm... you appear to have a thick hide, my daughter," Luna noted, before turning her attention to the doctor. "It appears that we might need to use the other needle, doctor."

"Wait, other needle?" I asked while the doctor simply nodded, turning to a cabinet, opening it to reveal a syringe with a rather thick, foot long needle.

"Alicorns are known for their sturdiness, though I thought you were too young to possess the natural toughness to render a regular needle useless, hence we have a special one meant for us," Luna explained as the doctor held the syringe over my leg with his magic before bringing it down on my leg, only to reach the same result. Blinking, he tried with a harder jab, only to meet with failure once more. "Hmm... it seems you possessed a rather tough hide, my daughter. Thankfully, we're prepared for this situation."

Tilting my head as the doctor put the second syringe away, I asked, "What do you mean pr—okay... that is a big needle..."


"Now remember my daughter, magic isn't something to be taken lightly. Even the slightest error could result in terrible consequences, more so since you are an alicorn, meaning you have a greater magical potential than a unicorn foal your age."

"Yes, mother."

"Now, magic permeates throughout the world, every being, from the smallest of insects to the largest of dragons, possesses some form of magic within themselves. Hence, when casting magic, one must account the effects the magic could have in regards to others in the vicinity for, without careful control, one could unintentionally affect those around them as they cast their spells."

"Yes, mother."

"...When you desire to call upon your magic, you will bring it out from within yourself, channeling it through your horn, but be wary, for your horn can only handle so much magic pouring through it. A sign of you surpassing its limit would be an intense pressure from within your horn, that would build up till your horn starts to crack, or in the case of those that went beyond that, shattering your horn."

"Yes, mother."

"Then you will be able to shoot out rainbows and glitter out of your horn."

"...You're joking right?" I asked, tilting my head as Luna blinked at me. After getting the blood sample via a needle that I think was made for a creature with skin made up of steel, we moved back to the suite room though this time I spotted a desk, a chalkboard, and a stack of books placed in the room. Makes me wonder if there is a hidden wall where a servant hides behind, ready to change the suite at a moment's notice.

"I thought you weren't paying attention, based on the fact that you were giving me the same response," Luna admitted, before coughing into her hoof. "Now, proceeding on with your lesson, when you pour your magic through your horn, you must not only imagine what effect you desire to have, but to have the understanding of the nature of spell you wish to cast. It isn't simply the casting of whatever you want on a whim, you must know the fundamental properties of what you desire to cause with your magic. Otherwise, with the exception of telekinesis magic and magic that is related to a pony's Cutie Mark, all you will achieve is uncontrolled magic pouring out of your horn, upon which one can't predict what will be the result."

Nodding, I asked, "So... how does a Cutie Mark affect magic exactly?" as I wonder what a Cutie Mark is, but figured that asking that would be a bit too much for anypony to stomach.

"It is a matter of what special talent your Cutie Mark dictates, though its magic will make it easier to cast anything that is linked to your special talent," Luna answered, as I wonder if a unicorn with a special talent in combat would mean that they would become a powerful war mage. "Though, for your case, I have some speculations already."

"You do?" I asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes, based on this your ability to teleport without using your horn. Would you care to demonstrate?" Luna replied, as she took on a scrutinizing look.

"Okay..." I answered as I hopped off the chair I was sitting in, looking towards the kitchen, picturing myself on top of the fridge before releasing the trick, causing me to appear on the fridge, as Luna's eyes widen at what she saw.

"Impressive, normally only a foal experiencing a magical surge would teleport, only for that to be lost when the surges come to an end," Luna commented, as I decided to show off the second part of my flashstep, returning to the spot as Luna turned her head towards me. "Interesting, how often can you use that ability?"

"I have to wait a minute before I can use it again, but what you saw was basically it," I answered.

"I see, is there any limitations to your ability?"

"Well, I can't use it to get through solid objects, and I have to see my destination to be able to reach it, and it has a limited range that I could teleport to," I answered as I scratched at an itch behind my ear.

"Hmm... not as effective as a teleport, the fact that you don't need to light your horn, making it impossible to tell when you're going to do that," Luna noted before she narrowed her eyes at me. "Do not think to use that trick against me."

Rearing my head back a bit, I replied, "Umm... yes mother?" though I didn't think of using it against her since she's my primary caretaker and could make my life much more frustrating if she wanted to.

"Good, now it is time to see how capable you are with magic. Remember my lessons and try to channel your magic into your horn."

"Okay... I'll try," I said, skeptical if I could even channel magic as I tried to concentrate on finding this magical energy Luna was talking about. The reason behind my skepticism is the fact that throughout my life, I encountered magic in various forms, yet was never able to pick it up or even learn it, like I was just fated to never be able to use magic, which is ironic since I was a fateless. However, I felt an unknown energy from within, causing my pupils to widen as I followed Luna's instructions, pulling the energy out of my body and into my horn, causing it to glow a dark purple goo, amazing me even more.

"Very good, my daughter. Now, try to surround an object with your magic, imagining an aura surrounding it. Try that book for instance, yet be careful not to overdo it," Luna instructed. Nodding, I looked at the book, my eyes narrowing at the top book of the stack as I imagine my magical aura surrounding it, to which, as if the universe finally decided to relent on its desire for me to be magicless, as my aura surrounded the book. "Good, now imagine lifting the book, but slowly at first, and be gentle with your magic.

Giving another nod, I did as told, as the book started to wiggle a bit. However, instead of a slow, gently lift, it instead flew straight up the air, slamming against the ceiling with a loud thud, causing me to release my magic, letting the book to fall back down on the stack, scattering the books across the ground. "Umm... I didn't mean to do that."

Staring at the mess, Luna tapped her chin with a hoof as she said, "Do not fret, my daughter. It is likely due to the fact that you're an alicorn, a tiny portion of your magic would still be strong enough to cause something like this. It is more of matter of learning the fine control you would need for basic telekinesis, for which only practice will make perfect in that regard. Though I should've suggested you used those wooden blocks instead."

Shrugging in response, I replied, "Well, better a start than no start." Inwardly, I was actually filled with excitement. As powerful as I was being a Dimensional Lord, I was limited to my ability to manipulate space and dimensions. But now, with magic being finally an option, the things I could do with it could be limitless, especially if I could mix it with my spacial abilities. Well... with the exception of time travel, Dimensional Lords are completely incapable of time travel, though one can't meddle with time to change our past either.

"Indeed, though once you mastered your control over your magic, I would be able to proceed with your training," Luna commented. "Until then, magic lessons are on hold, though I am delighted that you were able to get a start on using telekinesis so quickly. Surely it is another sign of how gifted you may be. Regardless, we must move onto the matters of your official position as my heir."

Letting out a sigh, I dropped the plans I was coming up with in my mind as I asked, "Okay mother, but does that mean I have to deal with politics and governing? I'm am a foal, after all, and I don't like those things at all..."

Letting out a laugh, Luna replied, "Nonsense, my daughter. As you have said, it is too soon to toss you into the fray, nor would you need extensive lessons on how to rule as a princess. However, there will be a coronation ceremony in the future as we declare you a princess of the kingdom. There is also the matter of finding you a retainer."

"A what?" I responded, tilting my head at what a retainer is, assuming I don't actually have messed up teeth.

"A retainer, a sort of personal aid for you, since you are royalty. One who would be able to assist you in night-to-night matters, acting as an advisor, while serving your needs. I believe that there would be many from Canterlot that would desire to be your retainer, if you desire one that is," Luna explained, though I frowned at the fact that since Canterlot is the capital, and with the medieval background, odds are I would get some kind of stuffy pony to be my retainer or a complete toady instead.

"Does it have to be from Canterlot? I don't think I would like to deal with somepony of the nobility or upper classes as my retainer," I asked.

"Hmm... since you appear to desire one, how about you look into the hamlet known as Ponyville? Pinkie Pie resides there, and ponies there would be less... stuffy as those that reside her," Luna offered.

Tapping a hoof against my chin, I responded, "Sure, sounds like a good idea. I rather have a pony, or ponies, that aren't of the nobility... though can I write up the ad for it? I want to mark down some specifics for it." Receiving a nod from Luna, I thought about the benefits of having a retainer, which is mostly having them do whatever I want when they're not telling me what I need to know. Besides, it might be good to have somepony to mess around with, especially since I'm grounded. Besides Chrono, of course. Somepony needs to bring that Magister down a peg, so might as well do the job myself.