• Published 24th Jan 2017
  • 28,155 Views, 2,021 Comments

Stranger in the Forest - TrixterCat



When Fluttershy encounters a new creature in the Everfree forest, how will the ponies deal with its strange ways and its inability to speak?

  • ...
60
 2,021
 28,155

PreviousChapters Next
Interlude - Penpals

Dear Princess Celestia,

I write you today for a slightly different reason than my usual reports about friendship. Today, I, together with my friends Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash, have encountered a creature that I believe to be of a previously undiscovered species. I have looked through every book I could get my hooves on, and I have found nothing. Even when I visited in Canterlot last week, I couldn’t find anything in the Royal Archives (I’m sorry I didn’t have time to come and say hello to you and Princess Luna, I spend most of the time with my parents).

This creature was first encountered by Fluttershy several weeks ago, when she was helping animals in the Everfree forest. She crossed paths with it, and ran away from it before it could see her. We had initially thought it to be a monster from the Everfree forest, or possibly a minotaur for its shape and the use of camouflage clothes. Rainbow observed the same creature yesterday, when it had been foraging for food near the west edge of the forest. The creature carried with it a very strange device that Rainbow found today, and brought to us for examination.

This device appears to be extremely sophisticated, although I do not know its purpose. It is able to produce sound, and when activated, it displays a picture of scenery. There are also numerous symbols on display, some of which I believe to be letters for a language that the creature uses. Again, even through all my research, I have found nothing pertaining to this language, or the symbols. Few of the symbols appeared to be something easily understood, like one that depicted an alarm clock, but the others were more abstract, and most likely have more meaning to the creature itself. I also did not detect any magic signatures from the device, indicating that it does not function through arcane methods, which in on itself is extremely baffling.

After a brief examination, we concluded that we should return the device to where Rainbow had found it, in case the creature came looking for it. The creature, however, was already there when we arrived. We initially hid from it, but it did notice us, and Fluttershy went to meet it. Its reaction was that of fear, and it seemed like it was about to run away from her, but Fluttershy managed to calm it down. However, due to my own poor judgement, I thought it would be fine to come out of hiding with Rainbow. The creature fainted after seeing us.

We allowed Fluttershy to tend to the creature, while I concluded my study on the device, and another similar one that it had, as best as I could, not finding anything new. Fluttershy stayed near the creature while waiting for it to wake up, while Rainbow and I stayed further away so that we didn’t scare it again. After it woke up, Fluttershy managed to befriend it. It didn’t seem to be scared of us anymore after that, approaching us and interacting with Rainbow. After we had given its device back to it, we returned to Ponyville.

We are planning on going back tomorrow, hopefully meeting it again. I would, however, like to ask for your advice before that. I find it unlikely that there has not been any contact with this kind of creature before. It seems to be more than just a simple animal, as indicated by the device it carries and the possibility of a written language. It is possible, however, that it has simply found the device from somewhere, and it wasn’t the one that made it. It also seemed to understand us in some level, responding to us as we waved to it.

Regardless, we should record everything we can about it for the Royal Canterlot Foundation of Plants and Wildlife, in case anypony else encounters such a creature. How should we proceed in this matter? I have written everything I know about the creature and its device on the accompanying scroll.

Your faithful student,
Twilight Sparkle

********************

My most faithful student,

It is good to hear from you again. It always brightens my day when I receive a letter from you, even one as formal as this.

I wish you would have come to meet me before diving in to the Royal Archives, I would have joined you in your research. You know I always have time to meet you, even on a busy day.

I have asked my sister, but neither of us can offer you any more insight on the matter, unfortunately. This creature you have met does seem to have numerous similarities to minotaurs, as you mentioned in your report, but it is as strange to us as it is to you. It is entirely possible, that if this species lives in the deeper parts of Everfree, as per your hypothesis, they have managed to avoid any contact with ponies up to this point. The device that you saw would even indicate a level of civilization, if it truly belongs to it.

If you wish to pursue studying this creature, then I will leave the matter in your capable hooves, Twilight. You are one of the brightest ponies I have ever encountered, and with the help of your friend, I’m sure the two of you can accomplish this task. I would, however, advice against trying to find more of its kind in the Everfree. If this species is as reclusive as it seems, we might cause them harm if we try to find them. Not to mention all the dangers that Everfree possesses. If you must enter the forest, please do not do so alone.

I will eagerly await your next report.

Your mentor and friend,
Celestia

Author's Note:

Just a little update in between stuff. Wanted to do a little more world building before moving on to the next chapter. :pinkiesmile:

Oh, also, for those who are interested, I do other stuff too besides writing. I have a small youtube channel where I make let's play videos, if you want to check it out. :pinkiehappy: Here

PreviousChapters Next