• Published 24th Jan 2017
  • 28,158 Views, 2,021 Comments

Stranger in the Forest - TrixterCat



When Fluttershy encounters a new creature in the Everfree forest, how will the ponies deal with its strange ways and its inability to speak?

  • ...
60
 2,021
 28,158

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 5 - If at first you fail, try, try again

“I’m so sorry Fluttershy.” Twilight apologized. Her ears were down as she stared the waving grass.

“It’s okay Twilight. You didn’t mean to do it.” Fluttershy responded with just barely noticeable edge in her voice as she fussed around the unconscious creature. “The creature doesn’t seem to be hurt and I’m sure it will be fine once it wakes up.”

Twilight blinked at the sudden sense of déjà-vu, before shaking her head and looking again at the creature resting against a tree. After it had passed out, Fluttershy had quickly made sure it was okay, before giving her and Rainbow both the kind of talking to you’d usually reserve for a foal who had hurt somepony’s feelings and who now needed to apologize. The creature had obviously been scared, and they should have let Fluttershy make sure that the creature was comfortable before showing themselves. Why the creature was so afraid of them, they didn’t know.

After that, she and Fluttershy had carried the creature closer to the forest so that they could put it in a more comfortable position against a tree. Rainbow had flown off towards Ponyville to get some water, for there wasn’t any suitable clouds in the area.

Twilight went some ways away and allowed Fluttershy to look after the creature, while she spent the time examining the device they had found, and the new one the creature had brought with it. They were very similar, although the one the creature had with it this time seemed to be more old and worn. It was smaller and blockier, and she could see that it had numerous scratches, and some of the symbols had faded with use. It had way more buttons on its face than the other one, but Twilight had no idea what they were for. Pressing them caused a smaller section to lit up, just like in the other one, and again there was a picture there. This one was of water, perhaps a lake or the ocean. It wasn’t as good quality as the other one, but it was still something that Twilight thought was incredible. How had the creature gotten the picture there? It seemed like it had been taken with an incredibly tiny camera. And when the device went dark, Twilight couldn’t see anything in the place it had been. Like the picture just disappeared in to nothingness. There was just a smooth, glassy surface.

Eventually, Rainbow returned with a bucket filled with water and a small towel. Fluttershy dipped the towel in the water, squeezed excess water out of it and then gently run it across the creature’s face. Rainbow awkwardly stood there, kicking the dirt, and watching Fluttershy work. Then she noticed something.

“Hey…is that…is that feather one of mine?” She blurted out when she saw the blue feather sticking from the creature’s hat. Fluttershy walked to the other side of the creature to take a look.

“It…it does look like one of your primaries.” She blinked in surprise, before taking the creature’s hat off with her mouth and placing in on the ground.

“It is one of mine! Why is it on its hat?” Rainbow exclaimed. She had noticed that one of her primaries had fallen off, but she didn’t know where she had lost it. Not that it mattered much to her, she wasn’t big on collecting her old primaries like some pegasi were, and a new one would grow back soon enough.

“Well…maybe it umm…maybe it thought that it was pretty?” Fluttershy offered, not really having any other idea why the creature would want to keep one of Rainbow's feathers. Some of her animal friends wanted to keep the feathers she dropped. Cats especially liked to play with them, and birds sometimes took them to their nests.

“P-pretty?” Rainbow stuttered, a small blush making its way on her face. Any pegasus worth their feathers made sure to take good care of their wings, and Rainbow was no different. They were the most important part of their bodies, after all, and you could tell a lot from one’s feathers. While she would have preferred words like “cool” and “awesome”, having her feathers, and by extension, wings, complimented made Rainbow Dash feel good.

“I guess it’s fine then.” She huffed and made her way to Twilight before Fluttershy could notice her blush. Fluttershy watched Rainbow go, her tail swishing happily, and giggled to herself.

********************

Fluttershy stayed near the creature, waiting for it to wake up. They had agreed that it was probably better if Twilight and Rainbow stayed further away, and would only approach when Fluttershy called them.

The creature had stayed unconscious for the better part of an hour, and she was starting to worry a bit. Twilight had suggested on moving it to the Ponyville hospital, but since it had had such a strong reaction to just them, waking up in a totally different place would probably cause it to panic again.

Why was it so afraid of them? Had some pony mistreated it, and it was scared that they would too? Or maybe it hadn’t seen ponies before, and didn’t know they wouldn’t hurt it. Fluttershy vowed to show the creature that it was safe to be with ponies.

A groan snapped Fluttershy out of her musings. She watched the creature slowly come to, lifting its hand to its face and finding the cool towel Fluttershy had left on its forehead to provide relief from the hot sun. It seemed to ponder about the towel for a while, its hand gently moving it around, before it suddenly sat upright, its eyes snapping wide open and quickly focusing on Fluttershy. She flinched a bit from the sudden movement, but then smiled kindly at the creature.

“How are you feeling?” She asked. The creature blinked a few times, before looking around, and eventually settling back to looking at her.

“Are you wondering about my friends? They are over there.” She said and nodded towards further along the tree line. Rainbow was leaning against a tree, her eyes closed, and Twilight had summoned herself a scroll and a quill and was writing furiously. The creature stared towards them for a while, before leaning back against the tree, its gaze directed towards the sky.

Good, it’s not scared anymore, Fluttershy thought as she allowed the creature to get accustomed to her before she would try to get close again. It kept looking at the cloudless sky, while using the towel to brush its face. Fluttershy noted that the creature had a short mane, which had been hidden by the hat earlier. It was also grayish like its beard, and Fluttershy wondered if the creature was getting old, or if it was a natural look for it.

After a while, the creature turned to look towards Fluttershy again, who kept smiling to it. Then the creature seemed to blush, and it rubbed its neck awkwardly. Fluttershy got up, and since the creature didn’t react to it, she walked next to it and sat down again. The creature followed her with its gaze, but now it was filled with curiosity rather than fear. She nudged the water bucket that it hadn’t seemed to notice yet.

“Here’s water, if you want some.” She said. The creature looked at the bucket, and with a small smile, took some water on the palms of its hands and splashed it across its face. It did this a few times more, before drying itself (mostly) with the towel. They lapsed into silence again, Fluttershy looking across the fields, while the creature seemed to be studying her with its gaze. Had it really not seen a pony before? Or perhaps it had only seen earth ponies before, it seemed to be mostly interested in her wings.

The creature's hand gently lowered on her head, and Fluttershy almost giggled when it started to pet her. She closed her eyes, and leaned in closer. Fluttershy was often the one who was doing the petting, and she had to admit, it was nice being the one being petted for a change.

I wonder what the creature is thinking. Is it feeling nervous, is it happy, is it trying to calm itself by petting me. Different thoughts drifted in Fluttershy’s head as the pair sat there, Fluttershy being in no hurry to stop the petting. Eventually, though, the creature seemed to be done with its ministrations. It pulled its hand away, and carefully stood up. Twilight noticed that the creature was awake, and gently poked Rainbow awake. Fluttershy looked up and met the creature’s eyes.

“Do you want to meet my friends?” She asked, and motioned towards her friends. The creature looked at Twilight, who was shyly waving her hoof back. It looked back at Fluttershy, who had taken the bucket and the towel, and placed them on her back. It smiled, and together they walked to where Twilight and Rainbow were.

“Hey Fluttershy. So, how’s the big creature doing?” Rainbow asked as they came close enough to talk.

“It seems to be doing fine.” Fluttershy said back. “It has calmed down, and doesn’t seem to be afraid of us anymore.”

“Heh, that’s Fluttershy for you, able to make friends with any sort of creature.” Rainbow said and nudged Twilight.

“That’s wonderful Fluttershy.” Twilight said and smiled at the creature, who gave an unsure smile back.

“So, what do we do with it now?” Rainbow asked as she flapped her wings and hovered a few meters in the air. “Do we just give it its things back and send it back in to the forest?”

“I guess so.” Twilight replied. “That’s what we came to do, isn’t it?” She looked at Fluttershy for confirmation.

Fluttershy nodded, sad by the prospect that the creature would leave just as they became friends, but happy that they at least managed to accomplish what they set out to do. Twilight turned towards the two devices she had been studying, and with a quick burst of magic from her horn, brought them infront of the creature. The creature's jaw hung open as it watched the floating objects with wide eyes full of surprise. The ponies glanced at each other, unsure of its reaction.

“Umm, they are yours.” Fluttershy tried when the creature didn’t seem to take them. It alternated at looking the devices, and Twilight's glowing horn.

“Has it not seen unicorn magic before?” Twilight asked.

“Perhaps that’s why it fainted when it saw you earlier?” Rainbow added and poked the devices to show that it was safe to touch them. The creature brought its hands under the floating objects, and Twilight lowered them down.

“But if it didn’t know I could do magic, why would it be scared?”

“Maybe it…uhh…maybe…look, I’m not the animal expert here.” Rainbow huffed and crossed her forelegs.

“I don’t think it has seen many ponies before. I noticed that it kept looking at my wings a lot too.” Fluttershy said.

“Weird…” Twilight muttered and picked up her quill and scroll and started writing again. The creature blinked owlishly at Twilight. It put the devices in a pocket on its pants.

“So it hasn’t seen ponies before and got scared of us. Maybe it is some sort of super rare creature that lives deep in the Everfree?” Rainbow asked and flew closer to be face to face with the creature. It leaned back slightly.

“That is a possibility, yes. Although I have to wonder, why would it leave its home if that is the case? If this species lives so deep in the Everfree that nopony has ever seen one before, and there isn’t any recording of such a creature anywhere, why is it here?” Twilight pondered, a hoof on her chin. The creature seemed to find this amusing, if the smile was of any indication.

“Perhaps it’s lost?” Fluttershy said.

“Can’t you talk to it and ask?” Rainbow said as it was her turn to lean away. The creature was studying her rainbow-colored mane with curious eyes and it was making her a bit uncomfortable.

“It hasn’t really…said anything. I’m not even sure if it understands when I talk to it.” She said, feeling a bit dejected.

“But I thought you could talk to all animals?” Rainbow pressed her snout against the creature’s nose and frowned, causing it to lean back again. Twilight giggled at the tuck of war that they were doing.

“Not all animals. There are some that I can’t talk to, and with them, it’s the tone of your voice that matters more than the words you use.” Fluttershy also smiled at what they were doing. The creature broke eye contact with Rainbow and took a step back, rubbing its neck again. Rainbow smiled triumphantly, pleased in her small victory.

“Sooooo…we have no way to communicate with it?” Twilight surmised, her ears drooping.

“I wouldn’t say that.” Fluttershy said, and smiled at the creature, who returned the smile.

“It doesn’t seem like a dumb animal to me.” Rainbow said and held out a hoof to see if it would bump it. The creature looked at her hoof for a moment, before grabbing it with one hand and shaking it.

“I take that back.” She said with a snicker.

“Are you going to send a letter to the princesses?” Fluttershy asked Twilight.

“Yes. This is, after all, an unknown creature we are talking about.” Twilight said and motioned towards the creature. “If nothing else, we need to record everything we know about it, so that if somepony else ever meets one, there is atleast something, somewhere about it.”

“Oh. I guess you are right Twilight.” Fluttershy said, suddenly feeling a bit more excited. She hadn’t really thought about it before. They had possibly found an entirely new species, and Fluttershy was the first pony to ever befriend one. It made her heart soar with pride.

“Well, if we are done here, how about we head back to Ponyville?” Rainbow interjected with a yawn. “All this thinking is making me tired.” Twilight turned towards her with a deadpan look.

“Rainbow, you napped the entire time we waited for the creature to wake up.”

“So? I need my energy to do practice later.” Rainbow said and did a loose loop up in the air and a quick corkscrew back down. The creature seemed to be impressed.

“And besides, I haven’t eaten anything in a while. I’m hungry.” She continued, rubbing her belly. Twilight's own stomach let loose few noises too, indicating its opinion in the matter.

“I suppose we should head back.” She admitted. Fluttershy seemed to be torn about the matter, which Twilight noticed quickly.

“I’m sure that we’ll meet the creature again later, if it likes to forage around here. We can come here looking for it tomorrow again.” She said with a smile.

“Okay…you’re right, I need to check on my animal friends too…” She said sadly, and turned towards the creature. It seemed to be confused by what was going on.

“We need to go now.” She said and nuzzled its stomach. “But we’ll come here again tomorrow, so hopefully we’ll see you here again.” She said and took a few steps back. The creature blinked a few times and tilted its head, clearly not understanding what she had said.

The ponies took a few more steps away from it, and waved their hoofs, indicating that they were going now. The creature seemed to understand this, and waved its own hand at them. But before the ponies could turn to leave, it snapped its fingers, and took the hat from its head. It took the blue feather that was attached to it, and offered it to Rainbow.

“Aww, it’s okay big guy, you can keep it.” She said, and gently pushed the hand back. The creature looked at the feather, and smiled brightly at them.

With that, the ponies waved one more time, and departed back towards their hometown.

And great galloping galoshes did they have a story to tell.

Author's Note:

Hahaa, nobody can stop ze writing majiks! The writing shall last, FOREVER! :pinkiecrazy:

Not sure about the last line though, it sounds a bit cheesy. :applejackconfused:

On a completely unrelated note, how does one say pegasi anyway? :rainbowhuh: Is it pegasi, pegasii, pegasai or pegasususususes?

Oh, and while I'm updating like crazy now, that's because it's the weekend. :derpytongue2: I can not keep this kind of productivity up endlessly. :twilightblush:

PreviousChapters Next