• Published 24th Jan 2017
  • 28,153 Views, 2,021 Comments

Stranger in the Forest - TrixterCat



When Fluttershy encounters a new creature in the Everfree forest, how will the ponies deal with its strange ways and its inability to speak?

  • ...
60
 2,021
 28,153

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 11 - Magic Duel

“Bucking pony feathers!” Rainbow Dash swore as she wrestled with a banner. It had been a few hours since Trixie made her ‘triumphant’ return and took control of Ponyville. She immediately started to bully and order everypony around, and anypony who refused was swiftly made to understand that there was no denying the magician.

Poor Pinkie Pie, Dash thought. Preventing her from opening her mouth was perhaps one of the worst things Trixie could have done to the party planner. Dash hefted the heavy banner, which had Trixie’s face on it, onto somepony’s balcony. With a few unenthusiastic hoof strikes, she secured it there with nails. Trixie had ordered Rarity to make banners with her face on them, and then demanded that Rainbow and the rest of the Ponyville weather ponies stick them up all around town. She had even told them to make sure that “...there is no square inch in Ponyville where one cannot see Trixie’s beautiful face.” Rainbow had tried to refuse, but a quick flick of Trixie’s magic and Rainbow’s wings shrunk, making them too tiny for flight. There was no way around it, Trixie was going to bully them until she got what she wanted.

The banner smacked her in the face as it pillowed with the wind. Rainbow growled in rage and punched the banner with all her might, which of course didn’t have much of an effect. As if to make sure that everypony’s day would be as miserable as possible, shortly after conquering Ponyville Trixie summoned a giant glass bowl and covered the town with it, before filling it with storm clouds. There was a constant strong wind and drizzle, and Rainbow could barely see anypony outside, besides the weather team.

She’s acting like a second-rate villain from a Daring Do book. How did she get so powerful anyway, Dash thought to herself as she flew under a tree to take shelter. From what she remembered when Trixie was last in town, she hadn’t seemed quite so powerful. The spells she was casting were on a different scale to what she was doing previously. And the heroine of the story isn’t here to give her a good kick in the flank. Rainbow looked towards the Everfree, where Twilight had run off to when Trixie threw her out. Even with all her magic, Twilight hadn’t been able to stand up to Trixie. She must have felt awful for having lost to someone like Trixie when it came to magic, and it stung Rainbow’s heart to know that there wasn’t anything she could do about it. Nopony could leave Ponyville, or come inside for that matter, as long as that stupid bowl was there.

No, don’t think like that, Rainbow mentally slapped herself. There has to be something we can do! She got up and took flight. Maybe there would be something that could help them in Twilight’s library. She would need to get the others, and together they would be able to think of something to help them.

********************

A lone figure approached the outskirts of Ponyville. It had noticed the weird structure around town from afar, and now that it had gotten closer, it could hardly believe its eyes. An upturned, giant glass bowl was encircling the entire town. It scratched its head in confusion and experimentally tapped it. Nothing happened, and it tried knocking instead, but all that produced was echoing thuds.

The creature scratched its head again, before looking around, trying to spot anything that would help it. When it found no such thing, it turned around, and marched back into the Everfree.

********************

“Perhaps for now, we should stop. Tea will help you focus, so I shall make us a pot.” Zecora said as Twilight tried to catch her breath. She had been practicing nonstop from the moment Zecora had agreed to help her, but progress was slow. That was to be expected, since she wasn’t just trying to learn a new spell, which could be quick to learn for a seasoned spellcaster. No, she was training to get better control of her magic and tap into all the magical potential inside of her, instead of just a part of it. She had done similar training with Celestia, of course, but she was much younger then and hadn’t had nearly as much magic under her control. The magic boost she had gotten when she became the Element of Magic increased her magical reservoir considerably, but that didn’t mean squat if she couldn’t bring it all out in a controlled fashion.

Twilight’s thoughts wandered back to Trixie. She just didn’t understand how Trixie could have improved so drastically in such a short time. The last time they met, while not being a below mediocre magician by any means, she had hardly been as powerful as her. She had to be somewhere in the same level as Rarity at the time. Skilled in the magic her cutie mark pertained to. Now, it seemed like she was more powerful than any archmagi Twilight had ever encountered.

I wonder how my friends are doing, Twilight thought remorsefully as she got up from the ground and tried to get some of the dirt out from her fur.

“Tea would be nice,” she finally said back to the zebra that was patiently waiting for her. Zecora nodded, and they started to make their way back to her hut. Suddenly she stopped, and Twilight could see her ears pivot around. There was a rustle further along in the dark underbrush.

“Quick, hide in the brush! This creature seems to be in a rush!” Zecora whispered, and they both hid. The rustling intensified as the creature moved towards them with no desire to stay hidden. It didn’t seem to be running, but neither was it on a casual stroll either. Soon Twilight could see the creature’s legs, and she immediately recognized them.

“Scruffy?” she said as she got out of the bush. Scruffy let out a small yelp from the unexpected voice, but calmed down as he noticed her. “Oh, sorry.”

He opened his mouth, but then closed it again when he spotted Zecora. His expression morphed in to the most adorable confused pout that Twilight had ever seen.

“Ah, so you are Everfree’s mysterious guest. And pray tell me, Scruffy, is that your name, or just how you are addressed?” Zecora said as she took in Scruffy’s appearance.

“Oh…That’s just something Pinkie came up with. He can’t speak our language, so we can’t ask for his real name.”

“That is a great shame. Perhaps one day, you’ll find a way to tell us your real name.” Zecora said to Scruffy, who looked like his brain had ground to a halt. He muttered something in response before shaking his head. He pointed roughly towards Ponyville, then making a vaguely bowl shape with his hands before looking at them questioningly.

“So you have seen it too.” Twilight’s ears drooped. She turned towards Zecora. “Let’s head back and I’ll try to explain to him what happened.” Zecora nodded, and they continued the walk back to her home.

Once they arrived outside of her hut, Scruffy blinked a few times, before rubbing his eyes as if not believing what he was seeing. Twilight had to admit that it was quite an interesting sight. Strange concoctions, weird masks and other small items were littered around the tree.

After going inside, Twilight used her magic to draw shapes in the air in an attempt to explain the situation to Scruffy. It took a few tries, and a lot of confused shrugs, but eventually it looked as if Scruffy understood.

“Sorry Scruffy, but I don’t have time to spend with you right now. We need to figure out a way to defeat Trixie.” Twilight drew an image of Ponyville in the air, and crossed it over with a big red X. “And you shouldn’t go to Ponyville either. It’s not safe.”

Scruffy scratched his head and Twilight could see worry on his face. She gently stroked his leg.

“It’s okay. We’ll figure something out. It’s probably better if you head back to your home for today,” she said and drew a stick figure representing him and made it walk away from Ponyville. Scruffy crossed his arms and harrumphed.

“He isn’t one to be easily scared,” Zecora said with a small smile, before her expression turned very strict, “but unfortunately, for this, you are woefully unprepared.” Twilight made a Trixie figure shoot a lightning bolt at the Scruffy figure. It spasmed for a second before falling over. Small stars circled its head. Scruffy’s expression faltered.

“I promise you we’ll figure something out,” Twilight said encouragingly. A Twilight figure zapped the Trixie figure, and all the ponies cheered. A ghost of a smile touched Scruffy’s lips, and he petted Twilight’s mane. He got up from the floor, rubbing his lower back and muttering something. He gave them one more unsure look. Twilight and Zecora responded with encouraging smiles. Scruffy nodded, and walked out of the hut.

A few minutes later, Fluttershy came inside the hut wearing a slightly torn, yet still adorable, ninja bunny suit. With the information from Fluttershy, Twilight came up with a plan for getting the amulet away from Trixie.

********************

As soon as Scruffy got sufficiently far away from Zecora’s hut, he changed direction. He had a determined frown on his face as he marched right towards Ponyville.

********************

It was a few hours later when Twilight and Zecora arrived outside the barrier that was over Ponyville. Twilight could see the angry clouds over Ponyville, and knew instantly that those were most likely created by Trixie. For what purpose, Twilight didn’t know, but it wasn’t a good sign. All these large spells Trixie was casting only hastened how quickly the amulet would corrupt her. She needed to work fast. Twilight pinged the barrier several times with her magic and waited. Eventually, Trixie showed up to see what was happening.

“You?!” she exclaimed in a mix of shock and annoyance. “What’s the matter, Twilight Sparkle? Not enjoying your exile?”

“I know about the Alicorn Amulet,” Twilight responded. “I know you cheated.” She said nothing about the amulet’s corrupting powers, so that Trixie wouldn’t get suspicious.

“Cheated? Moi?” Trixie feigned ignorance.

“Yeah, and I thought you might want to see what a real magical amulet looks like. Zecora gave it to me. It’s from beyond the Everfree forest, and it’s way more powerful than your measly little Alicorn Amulet.”

“Hah! Nothing’s more powerful than the Alicorn Amulet, and nopony’s more powerful than the Great and Powerful Trixie!”

“Care to put your amulet where your mouth is?” Twilight goaded. She needed Trixie to let her inside to duel her again, so that she and her friends could enact their plan. “How about another duel?”

“Why should I? I already beat you.”

“That’s up to you, but I guess you’ll never see the totally awesome magic from beyond the Everfree forest. Come on Zecora.” Twilight and Zecora started to walk away from Ponyville. Please take the bait, Twilight thought to herself. She almost smiled when she heard Trixie speak.

“Wait!” In a flash of red light, Trixie dispelled the glass bowl she had used to block off Ponyville from the rest of the world, and teleported next to Twilight.

“Okay, okay you’re on! A second duel,” Trixie said menacingly. Twilight smirked, and with a flash of light, Trixie teleported them into Ponyville.

********************

Scruffy had been circling around the glass bowl, trying to find a way in. He tried to break the glass with rocks, but they had just harmlessly bounced off it, so his only option was to find a hole or a crack or something he could use to get inside. Or so he thought, until the whole thing disappeared in flash of light. Scruffy blinked a few times, before frowning again, and marching inside.

********************

Trixie insisted that there needed to be an audience for their second duel, so it took a few minutes before they started. A good number of ponies gathered around to witness what was happening, including Twilight’s friends. Rarity gave Twilight a wink, telling her that they had received her plan and everything was okay.

“Are you ready Trixie?” She asked.

“The great and powerful Trixie is ready to humiliate you again,” she responded.

The two of them took a few steps closer to each other, both intensely staring at their opponent. A lightning bolt flew across the sky to mark the start of their duel.

“Let’s start with a simple age spell, shall we?”

“Let’s.”

“Snips! Snails!” Trixie commanded. After they both quickly galloped in front of her, she shot them with a spell, turning them in to foals. They both started crying. “An oldie but a goodie, heh. Now, let’s see what your little charm can do.” She smirked and her eyes flashed red. Twilight looked down on her amulet, taking one more second to get herself ready.

“No problem! Umm, Applejack, Rarity could youuu…” Twilight’s words died in her throat. The crowd let out a few surprised gasps and started murmuring. Oh no! I told him to go home!

“Huh?” Trixie said and turned around. There was Scruffy, walking towards her and scowling at her angrily. “What is that?” she said, perplexed.

He’s going to ruin everything, Twilight thought, trying desperately to think of what to do now.

Scruffy stopped in front of Trixie. He was looking down on her, his hands on his hips.

“What do you want?” Trixie asked annoyed. “Trixie is in the middle of a very import-…” Her sentence was cut off when Scruffy’s hand grabbed Trixie by the ear, and pulled. “Ow! Hey, what are you doing?” Trixie demanded.

Scruffy heard none of it, and pulled Trixie along with him to the nearby statue of two Trixies rearing up and looking at each other.

“Trixie demands that you unhoof her at once!” Trixie complained.

Before Trixie could so much as to start gathering magic, Scruffy had sat down on the edge of the base. With a few swift motions, he pulled Trixie closer, and over his knees. Her front hooves were firmly planted on the ground, but her back hooves were wiggling in the air.

“Let go of me at once, creature, or the Great and Powerful Trixie will-”

SMACK

All at once everypony went silent, the only sound being the howling wind and the rustling of the banners. Most ponies jaws were hanging wide open, and some parents were covering their young ones eyes. Trixie’s eyes were wide open in shock

Did…did he just…Twilight thought before there was another smack.

SMACK

“H…How dare you!” Trixie screeched. “How dare you to- “

SMACK

Scruffy paid no attention to what Trixie was saying, and instead delivered another painful smack on her backside.

SMACK

“Ow! Stop that!”

SMACK

“You insufferable creature! Let me go at- “

SMACK

Twilight couldn’t believe what she was seeing. Scruffy had pulled Trixie on his lap and was giving her a spanking. A few strands of hair sprung from her mane at the sheer absurdity.

SMACK

“Ow! This is not how you treat the Great and Pow-“

SMACK

“I WILL MAKE SURE YOU SPEND THE REST OF YOUR LIFE IN AGO-“

SMACK

No matter how much Trixie tried to squirm, it seemed that Scruffy had a good grip on her, and wasn’t going to let go. Her hind legs flailed helplessly in the air as Scruffy administered one painful spank after another. She tried to pull herself away with her front hooves, and kick Scruffy’s leg, but it had no effect on him. Every time she tried to concentrate for a spell, it was broken when Scruffy’s hand connected.

SMACK

“Let me go!” Trixie screeched in rage, only for it to fall on deaf ears.

SMACK

Twilight found what was happening in front of her eyes to be cathartic. All the practice she did with Zecora, the plan she and her friends had, and Scruffy just walked in and…started spanking her. Like a naughty foal who had refused to behave after repeatedly being told to. The only thing preventing Twilight from bursting into manic laughter was the knowledge that Trixie still had the amulet, and what she could do to Scruffy with it. Not that there seemed to be much of a danger anymore.

SMACK

“Let go! Let go! Let go!”

SMACK

“Trixie begs you to let her go!”

SMACK

Twilight turned to look around at what kind of reactions the others had. Applejack had pulled her hat in front of her eyes, and her tail was protectively between her legs. Twilight could hear her mutter something about “not being the one this time”, and she had to wonder if Applejack had found herself in a similar situation with Granny Smith when she was younger. Rarity looked like she was about to faint, and a small blush was coloring her cheeks. Fluttershy was blushing furiously, but it was a surprise to see Pinkie Pie blush even more than her. The blush had even reached Pinkie’s ears. Her eyes were constantly darting around, as if not sure if she wanted to see what was happening to Trixie or not, before snapping back to her with each smack. Rainbow looked like she didn’t know if she wanted to burst in to ravenous laughter or feel pity towards Trixie. Zecora had a bemused look on her face.

SMACK

“P-please let go!”

SMACK

“TRIXIE IS SOHOHOHORRYYYYYYYYYY.” Trixie finally wailed and started to sob.

Scruffy was panting from the exercise of having to keep Trixie from escaping. While not knowing exactly how strong Scruffy was, it had seemed like a real struggle to keep Trixie where he could…deliver his punishment. Scruffy was weakly waving his right hand. It probably stung, but definitely not as badly as what Trixie was going through, if the wails were of any indication.

Now’s my chance! Twilight quickly trotted to Scruffy and Trixie, the latter of whom was still bawling.

“Uhh…Trixie?” The show mare switched from crying to sobbing as she turned to look at Twilight.

“You should take off that amulet of yours, and I’ll make sure to tell Scruffy to stop and let you go. You don’t want him to start again, do you?”

Twilight’s words hit like sledgehammer, and Trixie’s eyes widened in horror. She scrambled to take off the Alicorn Amulet, and after a few tries, she threw it away. Rainbow quickly scooped it up and took it to Zecora, who placed it into a small box.

“Scruffy? It’s okay, you can let her go now.”

Scruffy turned to look at her and raised one eyebrow. Twilight nodded to him, and he let go of Trixie. As soon as Trixie felt him letting her go, she hopped off his lap, and made a beeline for the nearest building, which happened to be the town hall. Unfortunately, it was directly away from most of the gathered ponies, and a chorus of hisses of sympathy could be heard from the crowd. While absolutely, 100% totally not meaning to take a look, Twilight also winced slightly. By Celestia, she could almost feel heat radiating from Trixie’s rump. It had almost completely turned red! There was a loud slam as Trixie shut the door when she entered the building. After a while, Twilight could hear something heavy being dragged in front of the door.

“Ahahaha…” Twilight chuckled weakly. “The day is saved, hurray!”

********************

A lone figure watched the ponies that had come to see the duel disperse. It briefly flicked its gaze towards the human still sitting on the statue’s base, before quickly scanning the crowd. Its eyes settled on the six mares who were talking to themselves, before continuing on to the zebra, and the small box she was carrying.

Author's Note:

Ahahahahaaaaa...Well that happened. :rainbowlaugh: I pretty much giggled to myself the entire time I was writing this. :pinkiehappy:

A huge shoutout to lordelliott who helped edit and proofread this chapter. :pinkiehappy: Now all go spam his PM and say thank you! (Don't do that, you can say it in the comments :derpytongue2:.) With good luck, he'll help me with future chapters as well. :twilightsmile:

Alternative ending to the chapter:

Dear Princess Celestia

Today I learned that you don't buck with Scruffy.

Your faithful student,
Twilight Sparkle

PreviousChapters Next